DirecTV 2007 New HD Channels - First Wave anticipation thread. - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1793 Old 09-19-2007, 02:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
At 4:30 AM Central time: DirecTV Customer Service says "There has been a delay in rolling out the new High Definition Service. Circumstances are unknown and new service date is also unknown." CSR said she had already received calls asking the same question.

"Time's fun when you're having flies." ...Kermit the Frog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1793 Old 09-19-2007, 02:53 AM

Back to bed. I'm guessing the CSRs aren't saying this for no reason. Pretty lame to wait until 30 min prior to launch.
post #273 of 1793 Old 09-19-2007, 03:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I found some new very exciting channels! Horray for BOLLYWOOD! lol
post #274 of 1793 Old 09-19-2007, 04:03 AM

And this is EXACTLY why DirecTV hasn't announced new programming until it is up and running. Strange that they decided to change that stance, at least insofar as the information given to and expounded upon by their CSRs.
post #275 of 1793 Old 09-19-2007, 04:05 AM

many days of sheer excitement dreaming as sugar plum fairies changed the tv station to infinite numbers of HD channels followed by the same story...Santa could not find the house this year honey!!! god I love D*

John
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

Johnston Home Theater Build - my attempt at a great room at a good price!
post #276 of 1793 Old 09-19-2007, 04:10 AM

You know, I'm not surprised in the least. . . This is exactly what I expected from D*
post #277 of 1793 Old 09-19-2007, 04:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibul View Post

Pretty lame to wait until 30 min prior to launch.

I'm guessing that they really did intend to launch, but probably ran into problems when they tried to make the software change overnight (witness website going down) and reverted back to the old system. I don't know D* service history, but this is probably one of the biggest changes they've ever implemented, and it's bound to have problems. Can you imagine the uproar on this forum that would exist if they tried to stick with the launch in the face of the problem? For example "programming guide doesn't work on HR20s" or some other similarly obvious problem.

Ever watched a shuttle launch? They abort sometimes, you know.

Not that this will stop you guys from chewing your limbs off in frustration

Atlanta over-the-air digital TV reference table, now with Atlanta OTA FAQ:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post16732147
post #278 of 1793 Old 09-19-2007, 04:19 AM

Call the maytag repair guy and get him a rocket, he will fix it....according to their commercials

John

post #279 of 1793 Old 09-19-2007, 04:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC47 View Post

I'm guessing that they really did intend to launch, but probably ran into problems when they tried to make the software change overnight (witness website going down) and reverted back to the old system. I don't know D* service history, but this is probably one of the biggest changes they've ever implemented, and it's bound to have problems. Can you imagine the uproar on this forum that would exist if they tried to stick with the launch in the face of the problem? For example "programming guide doesn't work on HR20s" or some other similarly obvious problem.

Ever watched a shuttle launch? They abort sometimes, you know.

Not that this will stop you guys from chewing your limbs off in frustration

Well said and I agree for the most part. However, I do fault Directv for NOT keepings its' customers up to date on what is happening. This IS 'rocket science' (and things can happen) but that is no excuse for keeping us in the dark. They should make an annoucement today and bring us all up to speed.
And keep us posted on happenings in the future. Afterall, this is asking very little. And it stops rumors from flying endlessly. Now, back to the real world of everyday life.
post #280 of 1793 Old 09-19-2007, 04:27 AM

But that would be the right thing to do... inform your loyal high dollar customers... Why???

John

post #281 of 1793 Old 09-19-2007, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
HAHAHAHAHAHA, knew it......

DIRECTV HD: No Expansion Yet

Rumors that the satcaster would launch its high-def expansion at 6 a.m. ET today prove untrue.
By Swanni

Washington, D.C. (September 19, 2007) -- DIRECTV HD viewers have been busy this morning, trading rumors and speculation on Internet message boards and occasionally checking their on-screen guides for updates.

But as of 6:30 a.m. ET today, DIRECTV has not kicked off its much-anticipated expansion of high-def channels.

DIRECTV has teased HD owners for several months now with promises of offering up to 100 high-def channels. And there are several indicators that the satcaster might begin the HD expansion today with the addition of 20-30 channels.

For instance, DIRECTV's customer service representatives have been telling callers that new HD channels will be added today. And an internal DIRECTV document, which was leaked at the web site SatelliteGuys.us, states that the expansion will begin on September 19.

Yesterday's hot rumor on popular message boards such as SatelliteGuys was that the launch would begin today at 6 a.m. ET.

That rumor heated up during today's early morning hours when DIRECTV's web site suddenly shut down for a few hours. However, when the web site returned, there was no additional information posted there to suggest the channels will be added today.

Fueling the rumors about a September 19 launch: Zap2It, the online TV listings site, today has September 19 listings for the new DIRECTV HD channels, including MHD and The History Channel HD. Zap2It.com receives its listings information from DIRECTV. (Zap2It.com did not have the new DIRECTV HD channels in their September 18 listings.)

http://www.tvpredictions.com/dnothing091907.htm

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

My Samsung 55" D8000 LED-3D tv settings.
post #282 of 1793 Old 09-19-2007, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Dissappointed we didnt get the channels but not mad at the company... they never gave an official announcement....we cant hold it against them

2011 SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS- New York Giants!!!

Gamertag: GENERAL CUPKAKE
post #283 of 1793 Old 09-19-2007, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by csurfr View Post

You know, I'm not surprised in the least. . . This is exactly what I expected from D*

Huh? Nothing was ever announced. Only Internet rumors. You might be disappointed as we all are but what is there to "expect" from D*. They never said today was the day.

Scott
post #284 of 1793 Old 09-19-2007, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVEN56706 View Post

Dissappointed we didnt get the channels but not mad at the company... they never gave an official announcement....we cant hold it against them

Exactly!! I received the automated call from D* last night to check if I had the proper equipment for the new rollout, and it said it would have additional channels coming soon, but did not give a specific date. The CSRs were the ones giving the 9/19 date. Doesn't everyone on here always say "you can't trust a thing the D* CSR says?" So, why are people getting frustrated when the CSRs were incorrect again?

Tony
post #285 of 1793 Old 09-19-2007, 05:06 AM
Advanced Member

If it were a cure for cancer, then I'd be PO'd.....but its HD, and as others have said, DirecTv never said the 19th, that was from some posts on message boards....and we know how reliable that can be.

Honestly outside of the History channel, and maybe some Sci-Fi stuff, everything I already watch is in HD for the most part(Sports occasional movie, local networks). I am not really glowing with excitement over the Food network in HD, the Big Ten Network would just be more bad football only with a better pciture and I haven't watched CNN since Desert Storm I.
post #286 of 1793 Old 09-19-2007, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post

Exactly!! I received the automated call from D* last night to check if I had the proper equipment for the new rollout, and it said it would have additional channels coming soon, but did not give a specific date. The CSRs were the ones giving the 9/19 date. Doesn't everyone on here always say "you can't trust a thing the D* CSR says?" So, why are people getting frustrated when the CSRs were incorrect again?

Here is an idea. . . .If the information the CSRs are giving out is false then they should either shut their mouths or be fired. I was told several times that the 19th was the day. . . As far as we know, they are speaking for D*
post #287 of 1793 Old 09-19-2007, 05:09 AM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I agree, no "official" date was given but it was in an "official" internal memo from Directv. So you can parse that anyway you like, but internally they were shooting for the 19th.

"I'm going to call them scallywags" - Ollie

Xbox Live: Stunt1on1
post #288 of 1793 Old 09-19-2007, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFH View Post

I agree, no "official" date was given but it was in an "official" internal memo from Directv. So you can parse that anyway you like, but internally they were shooting for the 19th.

Key Word: "internal" memo. As in, not for public. Just because that is the day they were shooting for, doesn't mean anything.

I am sure this is only a slight delay.

Philips 60PP9601 60" Proj.
Sony KDL46XBR4 46" LCD
Norcent LT-3222 32" LCD
Norcent LT-2090 20" LCD (2)
Direct TV HR20-100 (5)
post #289 of 1793 Old 09-19-2007, 05:15 AM

Take a look at the IT industry. Not all launches go as planned. This seems to be one of those. I'm bummed but no one needs to loose their job.
post #290 of 1793 Old 09-19-2007, 05:17 AM
Advanced Member

Let's be clear on the "official" thing here. These were not "internet rumors"; this was the official company line from D* representatives ranging from the tech who installed my equipment on Saturday to the 3-4 CSRs I've spoken to over the past week to the 2 CSR "supervisors" I've spoken to over the past week. The 19th was, in fact, the "official" company position on it. Just because they didn't put it in an SEC filing, make a press release, or commit to it on the call does not mean that it wasn't the official position of the company -- it was, and now they've blown their own deadline.

--Mav
post #291 of 1793 Old 09-19-2007, 05:20 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Yes, CSRs are some of the most unreliable sources for information. Pick an issue and call up a dozen CSRs and you'll likely get at least 8 different stories - and the most common story isn't always the correct one.

However, this was a bit different. D* provided a specific date to the CSRs and told them to inform all HD customers of that launch date. That information isn't subject to the same CSR skepticism because they were just forwarding specific information they were told to. It wasn't subject to the "grapevine-esque" method in which they oftentimes develop their information where depending how far down the grapevine the CSR you're speaking to got their information, the less accurate it is.

Could be a rogue CSR exec who made the call, but that's doubtful. Unfortunately, there's going to be much screaming and "gnashing of teeth" because D* decided to uncharacteristically provide a date in advance and now that date will likely slip by.
post #292 of 1793 Old 09-19-2007, 05:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParsonsBri View Post

Key Word: "internal" memo. As in, not for public. Just because that is the day they were shooting for, doesn't mean anything.

I am sure this is only a slight delay.

Exactly.

I intended to vacuum my carpets yesterday, but opted to sit on my butt and watch TV instead. As far as my neighbor downstairs knows, that's what I intended all along since I never announced my intentions to him. Now, if my cat went down there with my to-do list in his mouth, that's not something I can control. I never intended to release that information.
post #293 of 1793 Old 09-19-2007, 05:25 AM

While I'm dissapointed, it's not the end of the world...or even a big deal.

Anybody who works in an IT field knows that chit happens during implementation. Usually they company wants to get it out more than anybody. Hopefully it'll be resolved soon.

An anybody who wants to tar and feather the CSR's has never had to listen to the inane promises salespeople and marketeting folks make that leave engineers and technicians holding the bag all the time. In this case I think it was their legitimate internal goal to get it out. They knew it was a big launch and they felt they could be ready. Something happened and they weren't ready to go. It's not an evil consipracy.
post #294 of 1793 Old 09-19-2007, 05:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

Yes, CSRs are some of the most unreliable sources for information. Pick an issue and call up a dozen CSRs and you'll likely get at least 8 different stories - and the most common story isn't always the correct one.

However, this was a bit different. D* provided a specific date to the CSRs and told them to inform all HD customers of that launch date. That information isn't subject to the same CSR skepticism because they were just forwarding specific information they were told to. It wasn't subject to the "grapevine-esque" method in which they oftentimes develop their information where depending how far down the grapevine the CSR you're speaking to got their information, the less accurate it is.

Could be a rogue CSR exec who made the call, but that's doubtful. Unfortunately, there's going to be much screaming and "gnashing of teeth" because D* decided to uncharacteristically provide a date in advance and now that date will likely slip by.

The problem is, the CSRs probably did exactly what we always wish they would - they probably came here for their information for once.
post #295 of 1793 Old 09-19-2007, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csurfr View Post

Here is an idea. . . .If the information the CSRs are giving out is false then they should either shut their mouths or be fired. I was told several times that the 19th was the day. . . As far as we know, they are speaking for D*

I sort of agree - but they may not be to blame. I also was specifically told by a CSR about a bulletin from "higher-ups" stating that the HD expansion - at least the first wave - would take place January 19 (today.) I don't blame the CSRs ...they are simply a mouth-piece for their company. They do the best they can with what they are provided.

"Time's fun when you're having flies." ...Kermit the Frog
post #296 of 1793 Old 09-19-2007, 05:32 AM

Did anybody really think they'd actually be up on time??
post #297 of 1793 Old 09-19-2007, 05:33 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 61
CSRs aren't the culprit here. I had two calls for different issues in the past week and both CSRs offered the same information (unsolicited). When I asked them how they came up with that date, both said that they were told that any customer that calls up that has HD hardware should be informed of:
1) B-Band Converters (and check for them)
2) the first wave of HD channels will be launched on 9/19
post #298 of 1793 Old 09-19-2007, 05:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

CSRs aren't the culprit here. I had two calls for different issues in the past week and both CSRs offered the same information (unsolicited). When I asked them how they came up with that date, both said that they were told that any customer that calls up that has HD hardware should be informed of:
1) B-Band Converters (and check for them)
2) the first wave of HD channels will be launched on 9/19

Agreed. Question the reliability of CSRs at troubleshooting anything if you want (usually you're right to question it), but in this case, it's clear they were relaying the Company line on the roll out date. This is not their fault because they were just repeating what they were told to repeat, nor is it our fault for believing them -- this is the fault of whomever decided it would be a good idea to issue a date (and that certainly came from higher up on D*) and get everyone's hopes up.

--Mav
post #299 of 1793 Old 09-19-2007, 05:46 AM

Hey guys, don't shoot the messengers. The CSR's are not highly paid executives, they are meerly and interface between us and the company, and if they can offer assistance based on the information that is provided to them, they are doing their job.

I have been in IT for 30 years. I cannot tell you how many high profile projects were delayed at the last minute, after communication went out to the contrary.

There is no need to get hostile to the CSR's, they can only tell you based on the available information at the time, and until today, it was September 19.
post #300 of 1793 Old 09-19-2007, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

However, this was a bit different. D* provided a specific date to the CSRs and told them to inform all HD customers of that launch date.

Exactly. I would guess that date was in DORIS, or whatever they call it now, and someone higher up the food chain put it there.

Please do not send me PM's asking for software! You will not get it.
Closed Thread HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page