Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

NHL CI now on D*.

MSG is up on D*in engineering mode. NO word on FSNNY. Other locals will be available on D*, date TBD.

Thanks!! I DID see the mirrored channels on CI channels "indicating" HD, but no actual games yet....will check tonight!! (Looks real promising though!!! )

Re: MSGHD -- that would be a real pleasant surprise!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 281 Old 10-06-2007, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCecil View Post

It's always good to have a frank discussion.

LOL!!
post #273 of 281 Old 10-06-2007, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

As the OP and official pain in the a** of this thread, I have to admit I am impressed by what D*TV has done and is apparently committed to doing...it appears Mpeg2 HD-Lite channels will go away, the PQ of new Mpeg4 (including my locals) is really good, HD hockey on CI may be coming soon and MSGHD from NYC is possible!!!

If all of this comes to be, I deserve to be shot (rhetorically of course!!) by all of you here if I complain again!!!

P.S. Can we get dual buffers on our DVR's anytime soon!!
post #274 of 281 Old 10-06-2007, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by perilous View Post

As the OP and official pain in the a** of this thread, I have to admit I am impressed by what D*TV has done and is apparently committed to doing...it appears Mpeg2 HD-Lite channels will go away, the PQ of new Mpeg4 (including my locals) is really good, HD hockey on CI may be coming soon and MSGHD from NYC is possible!!!

If all of this comes to be, I deserve to be shot (rhetorically of course!!) by all of you here if I complain again!!!

P.S. Can we get dual buffers on our DVR's anytime soon!!

Ready ! Aim !
post #275 of 281 Old 10-07-2007, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Irrevelent. You're talking hardware vs. software security.

The software is protected by the hardware, so it's not quite hardware vs. software.
post #276 of 281 Old 10-07-2007, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joed32 View Post

You are saying that they are all mistaken and it's probably bad?

No, no, a thousand times no! Oh how I hope D* MPEG4 gives us outstanding HD PQ and that any of us burned by cable see no reason to go back!

What I am saying is I've seen cable in two different metro areas where the signal is passed on as received and D* MPEG2 HD PQ across the board is pretty bad in comparison!

And I'm saying I had hoped D* would say, here are the MPEG4 signals, we're not degrading them one iota, measure them all you want and see if we're not sending out what some of you fanatics call true HD!

And even though we can't measure D*'s new signals for whatever reason (and Ken H. indicates absolutely no sinister motives) I plan to stay as a sub thru next summer to hopefully see MPEG4 almost universally being praised.

Who else could give me, here in Virginia, the LA Fox station carrying my beloved Steelers today defeating the Seahawks, but only in SD on my DNS for some bizarre reason, even though the main Fox game ! But that's another story far OT!
post #277 of 281 Old 10-08-2007, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

What I find hilarious is all the people who are still asking if the MPEG-4 is good, from folks who have it from D*. Who cares about the measureable bit rate, etc. If you can't look at it and tell it's good or bad, HDLite vs. True HD...WHO CARES. If you can't tell, then it's all good, enjoy your TV.

For those looking for measurements. If you like it now, and you find out the bit rates are lower than what it should be, will you instantly think the PQ looks bad?

Tony
post #278 of 281 Old 10-08-2007, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Tony makes a real good point here and I'll only kind of weakly quibble with it.

Compared to analog or SD, even HD Lite is much better on my 57" TV. So it takes some subjectiveness to go beyond such a great improvement in TV PQ and say "Well, this 75 or 80% improvement is not quite as much as I was looking for and with MPEG4 I want an extra 10 or 15% to bring it up to true HD"(or whatever the actual percentages may be).

So in that case, it helps us fanatics to have some numbers to back up what we think subjectively and marginally we may or may not be seeing.

Does this make any sense to anyone??
post #279 of 281 Old 10-08-2007, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post

What I find hilarious is all the people who are still asking if the MPEG-4 is good, from folks who have it from D*. Who cares about the measureable bit rate, etc. If you can't look at it and tell it's good or bad, HDLite vs. True HD...WHO CARES. If you can't tell, then it's all good, enjoy your TV.

For those looking for measurements. If you like it now, and you find out the bit rates are lower than what it should be, will you instantly think the PQ looks bad?

Personally, if I don't see motion artifacts - my assumption is whatever bitrate they are using is sufficient. However, if I found out they were reducing the resolution from what they are getting, then I wouldn't all of a sudden say the PQ looks bad, but my assumption would be that it does not look as good as it could unless I could personally see a head-to-head comparison that suggests otherwise.
post #280 of 281 Old 10-08-2007, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post

Tony makes a real good point here and I'll only kind of weakly quibble with it.

Compared to analog or SD, even HD Lite is much better on my 57" TV. So it takes some subjectiveness to go beyond such a great improvement in TV PQ and say "Well, this 75 or 80% improvement is not quite as much as I was looking for and with MPEG4 I want an extra 10 or 15% to bring it up to true HD"(or whatever the actual percentages may be).

So in that case, it helps us fanatics to have some numbers to back up what we think subjectively and marginally we may or may not be seeing.

Does this make any sense to anyone??

That makes sense and I can live with that response.

Tony
post #281 of 281 Old 10-08-2007, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 108
So ... has anyone detected any signs that the current(old) MPEG2 channels are going to be moved (or at least mirrored) in MPEG4? ... Or would that be too much of an admission of "guilt" on the part of D*?
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page