post #271 of 4046 Old 11-13-2007, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by electronicpakrat View Post

If Chuck ever does get the girl, I'm not sure that would be good for the show.

Well I think of the '07 freshman class, this is my favorite so far. Unfortunately, the "will they or won't they" dynamic has been so overused on TV, that I'm not sure I'll be able to maintain interest in that story line. It's just jerking the audience around.

Let's see just this season we have:

Chuck, Reaper, Pushing Daisies ....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 4046 Old 11-13-2007, 10:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonblair View Post

Umm... Mike Judge lives in Texas.

Umm... he doesn't write the show.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #273 of 4046 Old 11-13-2007, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bringing things vaguely back on topic...

Did anyone else notice that, when Sarah shot spy/badguy in the hospital (or was it in the leg?), that THE WILHELM scream could be heard? My wife and I nearly jumped out of our chairs upon hearing that familiar ol' favorite. Does anyone know if Skywalker Sound is involved with the show, or perhaps another sound editor with some old favorites (like Ben Burtt) in his library?

Again, another great show (if poignant/sad at the end) and part of a Monday night viewing schedule that really gets our week started right.
post #274 of 4046 Old 11-13-2007, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Wifey & I think that although Chuck is good fun it is somewhat dumbed down for some reason. Heroes is better and Journeyman requires the most brain power to watch.
post #275 of 4046 Old 11-13-2007, 03:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay1952 View Post

Wifey & I think that although Chuck is good fun it is somewhat dumbed down for some reason. Heroes is better and Journeyman requires the most brain power to watch.

Why do people keep categorizing Journeyman is a highly intellectual show? It's a character drama with some SF trimming. It's not complex in either formula or execution. It's about as complex as Quantum Leap or Tru Calling. In fact unless they can match the thoughtful closer of QL I would say it actually isn't as smart as that show. The fact that everyone is gloomy and serious, the time travel mystery has't been revealed so people keep having to come up with their own theories, and they keep throwing references to tachyons around doesn't make it a brain stretch.

I don't see anything dumbed down about Chuck. It's an action comedy show that plays it for laughs and with tongue in cheek. There's nothing to dumb down. It doesn't pretend to be a gritty, real world look at covert intelligence agents.

And Heroes approach isn't particularly smart writing either. They play fast and loose with the rules and plot and the consistency is all over the map. So far Chuck hasn't stepped out of character and seems to pay attention to the universe it's established quite well.

post #276 of 4046 Old 11-13-2007, 03:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiernan View Post

Did anyone else notice that, when Sarah shot spy/badguy in the hospital (or was it in the leg?), that THE WILHELM scream could be heard? My wife and I nearly jumped out of our chairs upon hearing that familiar ol' favorite. Does anyone know if Skywalker Sound is involved with the show, or perhaps another sound editor with some old favorites (like Ben Burtt) in his library?

The Wilhelm scream isn't specific to Skywalker Sound or any one sound designer. It's a long-standing industry gag. Skywalker just brought more attention to it after its use in Star Wars and Raiders.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #277 of 4046 Old 11-13-2007, 04:42 PM

I think it is easily one of the better shows on DVD.

The problem is content.....They have good episodes, but how long can quality last?
post #278 of 4046 Old 11-14-2007, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareRec0n View Post

I think it is easily one of the better shows on DVD.

Whoa! Chuck is on (HD-)DVD already ? That's like "Spaceballs: The Movie" where the movie came out while they were making it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareRec0n View Post

The problem is content.....They have good episodes, but how long can quality last?

Until they run through their current stockpile of scripts ? Right there likely aren't any good writers willing to write more good episodes.
post #279 of 4046 Old 11-14-2007, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiernan View Post

Bringing things vaguely back on topic...

Again, another great show (if poignant/sad at the end) and part of a Monday night viewing schedule that really gets our week started right.

LONG history before Skywalker sound came along.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_scream

post #280 of 4046 Old 11-14-2007, 07:30 AM

This from two episodes back on "Green Week", does anybody else think that Casey's response to the Tree Hugger was the show's creators saying what they feel about having Green Week propaganda forced upon them?
post #281 of 4046 Old 11-14-2007, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by electronicpakrat View Post

Whoa! Chuck is on (HD-)DVD already ? That's like "Spaceballs: The Movie" where the movie came out while they were making it.

LoL!! One of the funniest scenes in the movie! A classic (Spaceballs) in every sense of the word. Hey Mell... We're still waiting for "History of The World Part II"...

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #282 of 4046 Old 11-14-2007, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 132
And it was funny when the hippie tree hugger turned out to be an agent as well!

I read that Ben Burtt(sp?) from ILM is the main Sound guy that started putting the Wilhelm Scream into the George Lucas movies. He has also declared that he is not going to do it anymore. But now that it is an inside joke, other people are using it. Even Peter Jackson wanted it used in the Lord Of The Rings.
post #283 of 4046 Old 11-14-2007, 10:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucHawk View Post

This from two episodes back on "Green Week", does anybody else think that Casey's response to the Tree Hugger was the show's creators saying what they feel about having Green Week propaganda forced upon them?

It wasn't the only show in "Green Week" to openly mock the concept. 30 Rock had a ball with it.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #284 of 4046 Old 11-14-2007, 10:49 AM

Chuck is really hitting its stride right now and it's refreshing to see a new series this season improving as it goes further into the year, unlike programs such as Bionic Woman. Zach is easily one of -- if not THE -- breakout stars of this fall season, and Yvonne is the breakout babe.

I have mixed feelings about Tang leaving, though. On the one hand, it sucks, because he's one of those everyday villains you love to hate. But on the other hand, you had to cheer when Adam orchestrated his abrupt departure. And Big Mike's revelation was a hoot. lol
post #285 of 4046 Old 11-14-2007, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay1952 View Post

Hey Im just glad NBC has a Monday Sci-fi night of decent shows. Each has something to offer and all very much fun and enjoyable to watch.
post #286 of 4046 Old 11-14-2007, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlord View Post

I have mixed feelings about Tang leaving, though. On the one hand, it sucks, because he's one of those everyday villains you love to hate. But on the other hand, you had to cheer when Adam orchestrated his abrupt departure. And Big Mike's revelation was a hoot. lol

X2. I thought the idea of Tang as some sort of Blofieldesque megalamanical middle manager villian was a potential gold mine.

The only thing I'm really having a problem with now is all the plots showing up on Chuck's doorstep. "let's casually walk down the street and happen across an international espionage incident"
post #287 of 4046 Old 11-14-2007, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucHawk View Post

I thought the bit in "Earl" was the funniest way to make fun of Green Week. When he's planning the show for Scared Straight, the warden asks if he'll throw in a bit about the environement, and Earl says "Well, we could but it would seem awkward and out of place!"

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #288 of 4046 Old 11-14-2007, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlord View Post

Chuck is really hitting its stride right now and it's refreshing to see a new series this season improving as it goes further into the year... Zach is easily one of -- if not THE -- breakout stars of this fall season, and Yvonne is the breakout babe.

Agreed, and there seems to be some real chemistry between the two stars. I find the casting on Chuck to be excellent overall.

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #289 of 4046 Old 11-14-2007, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 132
I'm guessing that the person in that cryogenic chamber from next week's preview is Bryce!!!
post #290 of 4046 Old 11-14-2007, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post

I'm guessing that the person in that cryogenic chamber from next week's preview is Bryce!!!

My thoughts as well.
Damn, sucks when you're actually looking forward to a Monday!

post #291 of 4046 Old 11-14-2007, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

Hey Im just glad NBC has a Monday Sci-fi night of decent shows. Each has something to offer and all very much fun and enjoyable to watch.

Amen.
post #292 of 4046 Old 11-14-2007, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Really starting to love this show. Really starting to hate the artificial grain that is fouling the PQ. My screen looked like the dance of a thousand mosquitoes last night while watching the latest episode.
post #293 of 4046 Old 11-14-2007, 02:12 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Unfortunately, the "will they or won't they" dynamic has been so overused on TV, that I'm not sure I'll be able to maintain interest in that story line. It's just jerking the audience around.

I completely agree. That's why I'm glad that they tipped Sarah's hand in the last minute or so.
post #294 of 4046 Old 11-14-2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magillagorilla View Post

Really starting to love this show. Really starting to hate the artificial grain that is fouling the PQ. My screen looked like the dance of a thousand mosquitoes last night while watching the latest episode.

How are you watching it ? (i.e. Cable, OTA, etc.)

My OTA broadcast looks better to me than any cable broadcasts I've seen. The rumor out around me is that the local cable provider compresses the heck out of the 1080i signal to compensate for bandwidth issues, etc.
post #295 of 4046 Old 11-14-2007, 03:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

It looked like perfectly natural grain to me.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #296 of 4046 Old 11-14-2007, 03:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

My thoughts as well.
Damn, sucks when you're actually looking forward to a Monday!

Unless you're someone who doesn't work on Mondays....
post #297 of 4046 Old 11-14-2007, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

I had doubts about this show early on, but it really does get better each passing week. Not to mention they now have 3 hotties in the show with Rachael Bison joining the hot sister and Yvonne.

Fernando
post #298 of 4046 Old 11-14-2007, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes, the grain irritates me too, but it is a great show, so I will try to live with it.
post #299 of 4046 Old 11-14-2007, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post

I have my doubts that it's Bryce in there. I think it's just a trailer red herring. "Lost" used to do those all the time. If you think about it, Bryce was shot, it wasn't some "incurable disease so freeze and cure later when technology is better" type scenario. And a cryochamber isn't going to magically fix & heal his gunshot wound.

I'm going to guess that the freezer was part of the smuggling plotline. And Bryce will appear at the end of the episode as a teaser for the following episode.
post #300 of 4046 Old 11-14-2007, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie_d_lopez View Post

wow, the quality of hd is really low on this show, isn't it? lots of grain/noise on my 105" mits.

I don't have a screen anywhere near that big, but do wish the PQ would improve a bit more.

I want Ed on DVD/Blu-ray!
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page