Chuck on NBCHD - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2007, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
rsambuca's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 955
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTV2TiVo View Post

Yeah, but those are wild turkeys. The ones dropped from the helicopter in WKRP were Thanksgiving turkeys bred for consumption. They are fatter, very dumb, and have never flown in their whole short lives.

And they are also getting pushed to the ground from the helicopter's rotor!
rsambuca is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-03-2007, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
McDonoughDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,322
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTV2TiVo View Post

Yeah, but those are wild turkeys. The ones dropped from the helicopter in WKRP were Thanksgiving turkeys bred for consumption. They are fatter, very dumb, and have never flown in their whole short lives.


Big fan of Wild Turkey..101...aka Kicking Chicken...

Peachtree City Golf Cart Rider
McDonoughDawg is offline  
Old 12-03-2007, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
FSugino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Schaumburg, IL
Posts: 1,537
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Does NBC have no shame? It was bad enough that they have all sorts of pop-up ads for their other programs during shows, but now they have to have pop-ups of DVDs for sale?? The ridiculously large Bourne Ultimatum DVD ad splattered over the lower third of the screen was just too much. This horrible trend needs to stop!

Flicks? Here's my collection. And I've seen a lot, too.
FSugino is offline  
Old 12-03-2007, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Viventis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Hickory, NC
Posts: 1,260
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I am getting dropped picture/stuttering during Chuck tonight. It is the same on Dish and local OTA from Charlotte. Anyone else? Better clear before Heroes!
Viventis is offline  
Old 12-03-2007, 07:26 PM
Member
 
ithrill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
what happened to HD(ota) for chuck? No HD at all. even the commercials not full screen..cbs is fine.
ithrill is offline  
Old 12-03-2007, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
qz3fwd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,956
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Same here in Detroit. Both ATSC and QAM were screwed up and lasted into Heroes. Seems to have stabilized. One would think they would monitor broadcasts AND have a redundant system to switch over to during times like these. How hard is it to monitor the transport stream in real time just before broadcast and also have strategic remote monitoring of the broadcasts? For gods sake, these kinds of technical problems just should not happen in 2007, almost 2008.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viventis View Post

I am getting dropped picture/stuttering during Chuck tonight. It is the same on Dish and local OTA from Charlotte. Anyone else? Better clear before Heroes!

qz3fwd is offline  
Old 12-03-2007, 07:53 PM
Member
 
ithrill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
nnnnnoooooooooooo...who can we call?
ithrill is offline  
Old 12-03-2007, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mike4HDTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,899
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Chuck was in HD for me for the entire episode. Decent episode but I thought that last weeks episode should have been the finale.
Mike4HDTV is offline  
Old 12-03-2007, 08:19 PM
Member
 
tabraha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: S.C.
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow that Bourne banner was almost a full third of the screen!!!! It made TBS and TNT look like they weren't intrusive. I pretty much quit watching those 2 channels b/c of their annoying pop-ups and NBC goes and takes the cake with obnoxious promo's.
tabraha is offline  
Old 12-03-2007, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
SD4934's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Wetumpka, AL, USA
Posts: 1,262
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The broadcast was perfect here in Montgomery, AL. Are there still some episodes in the can or is the time of Chuch's return dependant on the writer's strike being resolved?
SD4934 is offline  
Old 12-03-2007, 08:21 PM
Member
 
ithrill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
still no hd for heros...black bars all around and no HD logo
ithrill is offline  
Old 12-03-2007, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lax01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Potomac, MD
Posts: 3,632
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabraha View Post

Wow that Bourne banner was almost a full third of the screen!!!! It made TBS and TNT look like they weren't intrusive. I pretty much quit watching those 2 channels b/c of their annoying pop-ups and NBC goes and takes the cake with obnoxious promo's.

Yes, that was absolutely ridiculous....I hope they got a lot of money from that and don't cancel anymore shows...

Another superb Chuck episode...why they are trying to space out the last 2 (or 3) episodes into January is beyond me...pretty stupid and nobody will be watching it at that point.

Again, the Morgan and Anna scenes were hilarious...

Josh
PSN: lax01
lax01 is offline  
Old 12-04-2007, 05:23 AM
Advanced Member
 
jasonblair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Fishers, IN
Posts: 697
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Some problems with last night's show:

Casey (Adam Baldwin) said his car was an 85 Crown Vic with a 4.6L V8.

The Crown Vic was an 88-91 model. Crown Vics didn't get the 4.6L V8 until 1992. Before that, they had 5.0L V8's.


Also... NO ELLIE IN THE SHOW!!!
jasonblair is offline  
Old 12-04-2007, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
WilliamR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 8,163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Okay episode. A little to much "I love Lucy" like moments. Morgan had some great lines in this episode.

WilliamR is offline  
Old 12-04-2007, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Argee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Ravenna, ohio, USA
Posts: 1,606
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Strike or not, most if not all series go on hiatus in early December. Thats par for all networks.

Argee
Argee is offline  
Old 12-04-2007, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
lax01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Potomac, MD
Posts: 3,632
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee View Post

Strike or not, most if not all series go on hiatus in early December. Thats par for all networks.

but why not burn the episodes now? Its not like they are going to reach February sweeps if they start showing episodes in January. They are going to run out just before...

Josh
PSN: lax01
lax01 is offline  
Old 12-04-2007, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member
 
Gary*w*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Memphis, TN.
Posts: 609
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabraha View Post

Wow that Bourne banner was almost a full third of the screen!!!! It made TBS and TNT look like they weren't intrusive. I pretty much quit watching those 2 channels b/c of their annoying pop-ups and NBC goes and takes the cake with obnoxious promo's.


That was obnoxious! It was WAY too big.
Gary*w* is offline  
Old 12-04-2007, 09:36 AM
Senior Member
 
Nachosgrande's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonblair View Post

Some problems with last night's show:

Casey (Adam Baldwin) said his car was an 85 Crown Vic with a 4.6L V8.

The Crown Vic was an 88-91 model. Crown Vics didn't get the 4.6L V8 until 1992. Before that, they had 5.0L V8's.


Also... NO ELLIE IN THE SHOW!!!


LOL you sound like Marisa Tomei in My Cousin Vinny...
Nachosgrande is offline  
Old 12-04-2007, 09:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 20,340
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSugino View Post

Does NBC have no shame? It was bad enough that they have all sorts of pop-up ads for their other programs during shows, but now they have to have pop-ups of DVDs for sale?? The ridiculously large Bourne Ultimatum DVD ad splattered over the lower third of the screen was just too much. This horrible trend needs to stop!

It's less about them having no shame than it is about them having no income. The network's ratings are in the toilet and profits are way down. They need to bring in advertising revenue any way they can.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Josh Z is offline  
Old 12-04-2007, 12:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
VisionOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Carrboro, NC
Posts: 11,513
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

It's less about them having no shame than it is about them having no income. The network's ratings are in the toilet and profits are way down. They need to bring in advertising revenue any way they can.

which would be a logical excuse if they weren't just hawking NBC Universal products.

It's just internal promotion at the expense of the viewers. Do you think profits from Bourne will go back into NBC? They'll go back into Universal.

And with Silverman in charge, they obviously have no shame.

Complain here:

Michael Pilot
Michael.Pilot@nbcuni.com
President, NBCU Sales & Marketing
212.664.6795

Jim Hoffman
James.Hoffman@nbcuni.com
SVP, Network Entertainment Sales
212.664.7045

NBCUNI.COM FEEDBACK
100 Universal City Plaza
Universal City, CA 91608


VisionOn is online now  
Old 12-04-2007, 01:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
scowl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 10,497
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

It's less about them having no shame than it is about them having no income. The network's ratings are in the toilet and profits are way down. They need to bring in advertising revenue any way they can.

Other networks sell ads by the minute. NBC is now selling them by the square foot.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
scowl is offline  
Old 12-04-2007, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
qz3fwd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,956
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonblair View Post

Also... NO ELLIE IN THE SHOW!!!

I think she was on for a fraction of a second in the end when they are all dancing in the Buy More party? I missed her too. Plus the broadcast was glitchy during the bikini scene-damnit.
qz3fwd is offline  
Old 12-04-2007, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Spiky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Mpls, MN
Posts: 1,924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by petergaryr View Post

No argument there. The only "cute" part was Chuck getting in touch with his inner geek and deciding he could fly the helicopter based on having played with a flight simulator.

You mean, it isn't that easy? There goes my weekend.
Spiky is online now  
Old 12-04-2007, 08:14 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 22,029
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabraha View Post

Wow that Bourne banner was almost a full third of the screen!!!! It made TBS and TNT look like they weren't intrusive. I pretty much quit watching those 2 channels b/c of their annoying pop-ups and NBC goes and takes the cake with obnoxious promo's.

I never even noticed it. The pop ups never really bother me. I guess i just tune them out.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline  
Old 12-05-2007, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
CycloneGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Boyds, Maryland Useful Posts: 15
Posts: 6,477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonblair View Post

Some problems with last night's show:

Casey (Adam Baldwin) said his car was an 85 Crown Vic with a 4.6L V8.

The Crown Vic was an 88-91 model. Crown Vics didn't get the 4.6L V8 until 1992. Before that, they had 5.0L V8's.

I caught that too. I was like, the modular 4.6l V8 didn't even exist in 1985. What losers that pimp up the car and still get simple specs wrong. I hope that they fix that when the DVD box set it released, or at least for re-runs.

Going to sign up for Dish Network? PM me for a ClubDish referral number that will give you a $50 credit on your first bill.
CycloneGT is offline  
Old 12-05-2007, 09:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
NetworkTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: CT
Posts: 15,631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonblair View Post

Some problems with last night's show:

Casey (Adam Baldwin) said his car was an 85 Crown Vic with a 4.6L V8.

The Crown Vic was an 88-91 model. Crown Vics didn't get the 4.6L V8 until 1992. Before that, they had 5.0L V8's.

Did he say it was the original engine? I mean, he replaced the interior of the "perp section".

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneGT View Post

I hope that they fix that when the DVD box set it released, or at least for re-runs.

You're kidding, right? Most people would never know or care. It's like using F-8's as Russian MIGs in action movies. Only people that know about it really care.
NetworkTV is offline  
Old 12-05-2007, 09:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
NetworkTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: CT
Posts: 15,631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

Other networks sell ads by the minute. NBC is now selling them by the square foot.

It depends on how big your TV is...unfortunately, in my case, they're selling my space by the square inch...
NetworkTV is offline  
Old 12-05-2007, 09:48 AM
Senior Member
 
Sneezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Carolina, The Northmost One
Posts: 296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

You're kidding, right? Most people would never know or care. It's like using F-8's as Russian MIGs in action movies. Only people that know about it really care.

Sounds like the same approach being taken to "News" nowadays.
Sneezy is offline  
Old 12-05-2007, 10:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 20,340
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

which would be a logical excuse if they weren't just hawking NBC Universal products.

It's just internal promotion at the expense of the viewers. Do you think profits from Bourne will go back into NBC? They'll go back into Universal.

Have you seen the movie 'In Good Company'? (Ironically, it's a Universal production.) For a light romantic comedy, it has some pretty good insights into the absurdity of corporate "synchronicity", in which one division of a company will sell ad space to another division in return for purchasing products from that division, so that they can both claim profits even though the larger parent company gains nothing in the process.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Josh Z is offline  
Old 12-05-2007, 10:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
NetworkTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: CT
Posts: 15,631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Have you seen the movie 'In Good Company'? (Ironically, it's a Universal production.) For a light romantic comedy, it has some pretty good insights into the absurdity of corporate "synchronicity", in which one division of a company will sell ad space to another division in return for purchasing products from that division, so that they can both claim profits even though the larger parent company gains nothing in the process.

Yep - this is a very common practice. It's odd to have a television production renting a soundstage and leasing properties and paying studio crews from the main studio, depite the fact they're part of the same company. Then, in turn, the studio buys time on the network to promote the show.
NetworkTV is offline  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off