post #91 of 4046 Old 10-01-2007, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch G View Post

I thought tonight's episode was pretty good. The Wienerlicious fight scene was better than the one in the Bionic Woman last week, that's for sure.
My main complaint was the PQ. It was really grainy over here in Chicagoland.

Mitch

I'm afraid the grainy was intentional, it seems to be the new in thing, I'm not a big fan, but it seems to be one of the in things to do nowadays. Battlestar Galactica uses it all the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 4046 Old 10-01-2007, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

I'm afraid the grainy was intentional, it seems to be the new in thing, I'm not a big fan, but it seems to be one of the in things to do nowadays. Battlestar Galactica uses it all the time.

Yeah, I use that technique too, when filming home movies. I get the effect by smudging the hell out of the lens with grease.

There is no way the "grainy" look is intentional... Its the same motion blur that you get on SNF. NBC really needs to step up to the plate as far as HD is concerned.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #93 of 4046 Old 10-01-2007, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Eh, I am torn.

I do like the show. I like the theme and I like the actor who plays Chuck.

But, I really am not a fan of the acting by the NSA guy nor how "soft" the CIA woman is....maybe it is because I have family in the FBI
post #94 of 4046 Old 10-02-2007, 12:09 AM

PQ was just unacceptably bad. I switched between OTA and cable hoping it was just that, but no.

Fast forwarded through a lot of it which is not a good sign for me going forward, but the helicopter landing scene ("ok, you've played Apache, it's just a big game, Chuck!") was amusing along with the kids trying to get her picture up on the Net. Needs to step up a bit the next few episodes if this is going to survive.
post #95 of 4046 Old 10-02-2007, 03:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacombo View Post

a lil slip of the "oceanic flight 815" was pretty funny.

another enjoyable show but could pick up the pace.

Oh yeah, I laughed out loud at that one..."Oceanic Flight 815 was shot down by....."

Actually, I'm liking the show more the second episode. It is staying as a Series Link for me.
post #96 of 4046 Old 10-02-2007, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 170
I enjoyed last night's episode too.
Don't read too much into it- it's just a fun diversion type show, not 24 or Alias. The female agent babe looked hot when she was abducted and cuffed/sweaty

PS... any Enterprise fans recognize the evil Dr. guy (Zarnot or whatever his name was) who got blown up in his car but came back ???

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #97 of 4046 Old 10-02-2007, 08:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 387
a decent ep. It feels like it could be so much better but just doesn't get there ...

The table scene ("flambe!") I thought was hilarious, the spy stuff not so much.

I actually think that if they had made this into a 30 minute sitcom in the style of Earl or 40yr old virgin it would have worked better. Dump all the spy stuff and just concentrate on the characters. Hot girlfriend who works at the weiner house, ex-special forces guy Baldwin forced to work in the store, Captain Awesome, Seth Green-esque best friend, the "Mac artist" geek squad members ...

post #98 of 4046 Old 10-02-2007, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
We're really enjoying the show. But the popups and the PQ certainly don't make it a showcase for HD.
post #99 of 4046 Old 10-02-2007, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

I enjoyed last night's episode too.
Don't read too much into it- it's just a fun diversion type show, not 24 or Alias. The female agent babe looked hot when she was abducted and cuffed/sweaty

Yeah, she is definately a great reason to tune in every week. But, did anyone notice Chuck's sister leaning over setting the table? I thought she was going to let the puppies out right there.
You gotta love HD clarity.
post #100 of 4046 Old 10-02-2007, 09:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

I'm afraid the grainy was intentional, it seems to be the new in thing, I'm not a big fan, but it seems to be one of the in things to do nowadays.

It isn't just the grain that's problematic, but the fact that they've also pumped up the contrast and then the network overcompressed the hell out of the image. The combination makes natural film grain look horribly noisy.

The PQ was really wretched last night. The 2nd episode was also not nearly as entertaining as the pilot, other than the Weinerlicious fight.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Curator,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #101 of 4046 Old 10-02-2007, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

The table scene ("flambe!") I thought was hilarious, the spy stuff not so much.

I didn't find any of that scene funny. It was such a predictable joke that I was almost hoping for a South Park type twist on it to save it for being too damned obvious.

Quote:

I actually think that if they had made this into a 30 minute sitcom in the style of Earl or 40yr old virgin it would have worked better. Dump all the spy stuff and just concentrate on the characters. Hot girlfriend who works at the weiner house, ex-special forces guy Baldwin forced to work in the store, Captain Awesome, Seth Green-esque best friend, the "Mac artist" geek squad members ...

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

What makes the show ultimately fall short is there is no clear comedic counterpoint in any of the characters. Someone who can jump in and play the joke back at the main character.

Most of your funnier shows have at least one character who just serves to hit jokes back to whoever originated them. Look at Dr. Cox from Scrubs (before the show went to hell) or Joy on My Name is Earl. The entire Cosby Show was about Cliff doing this to all his kids, and when something needed hit back to him it was always done by his wife.

Watch How I Met Your Mother. Barney gets the job on that show, and the consequence is hilarious. Someone will be off in their own world, drifting with a tired joke, and then he jumps in and slams the whole thing.

On Chuck, the jokes -- and they are too few -- just hang out there. No one really interacts with the humor.

Chuck is starting to look like it might be NBC's first cancel from this group.
post #102 of 4046 Old 10-02-2007, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Does anyone know if they went out of order with their episodes? For the whole week leading up to this episode, the commercial they had been showing was of Chuck tied up in a chair and some woman asks him what his name is. When he gives the wrong name, she throws a knife down at the chair near his crotch. Now, at the beginning of this episode, they showed a brief scene of that, but then nothing the rest of the way. Now, for the previews for next week, they are showing those scenes again.

post #103 of 4046 Old 10-02-2007, 11:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowMeow View Post

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

What makes the show ultimately fall short is there is no clear comedic counterpoint in any of the characters. Someone who can jump in and play the joke back at the main character.

how can I be "wrong, wrong, wrong" when I wasn't even answering a question? How can you say that the premise for a show that doesn't exist, hasn't been written and wouldn't even follow the same premise would not work?

I didn't say that the non-existent show concept would address the weak points of the existing show.

And going back to HIMYM. I've watched that from the beginning and what I've noticed is that they significantly toned down Barney's character from the first season to the point where he isn't as effective now. So you saying he is always "hilarious" must be "wrong, wrong, wrong" because I don't think he is.

post #104 of 4046 Old 10-02-2007, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

any Enterprise fans recognize the evil Dr. guy (Zarnot or whatever his name was) who got blown up in his car but came back ???

Yeah I recognized his voice, it was Archer's nemesis Silik the Suliban, who got orders from "Future Guy"
post #105 of 4046 Old 10-02-2007, 04:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 192
My take is the pilot was better than the first episode. On this week's show the characters "felt out of place"... they didn't appear to actually interact.

That was understandable when they first met but at some point they need to start acting like they know each other such that there are ongoing relationships.

It's still early but I'm guessing the premise is going to override the characters and I'll lose interest.

| 
|
|
|
post #106 of 4046 Old 10-02-2007, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

how can I be "wrong, wrong, wrong" when I wasn't even answering a question?

That was more than a tad over the top on my part. Sorry. Rude
post #107 of 4046 Old 10-02-2007, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I had high hopes for the show.. the first episode set up an interesting premise but second show seemed week. I don't see this show making it. Usually even I like shows that others don't so if I find it boring that is bad news for sure!
post #108 of 4046 Old 10-02-2007, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Yeah, we really do. The funny thing about 'Firefly' is that it seems to be getting more popular over time, especially since "Serenity" hit the big screen. If ever a TV show deserved a second chance at life, this one is it. And, it could work this time.

Unfortunately, JW has basically given up on it. He doesn't really even talk about more movies anymore, which was more likely than resurrecting the TV show.
post #109 of 4046 Old 10-03-2007, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

This is good news from TV Guide. http://www.tvguide.com/ask-ausiello

Question: I love Chuck! Now that I've gotten that out in the open, can you spill some secrets? Heather

Ausiello: I want to love Chuck. Really, I do. But the first two setup-heavy episodes left me a little unsatisfied. The good news? I've seen next Monday's episode and now I love Chuck, too! It's the best episode by far, which is great news because it revolves around Chuck's first official mission and is essentially the template for the show. In addition to being funny, romantic and suspenseful, it features Zachary Levi doing the tango with the last person you'd ever expect (hint: GLAAD will be, um, glad).
post #110 of 4046 Old 10-03-2007, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrainwater View Post

It almost looked like widescreen SD to me.

Yes, I had the same thought. I was thinking that either the local network affiliate (e.g. WFLD-DT) forgot to "switch to high definition", or that the Fox national feed was only being broadcast in 480i/480p. It wouldn't be the first time that Fox has broadcast widescreen 480i/480p material, after all.
post #111 of 4046 Old 10-03-2007, 09:58 AM

My wife and I have been enjoying the show. She likes the actor who plays Chuck and the actress who plays Chuck's sister (Sarah Lancaster), and I like that smokin' hot blonde Yvonne Strahovski, so it's all good. Ok, ok... I like Chuck's smokin' hot brunette sister, too.

Chuck's character is great, as well, and even though the situation he's currently in strains all bounds of logic and common sense (as if the government would ever allow a guy crammed full of all their secrets to continue living with his family and going to his job lol), the show is just plain fun. We'll be sticking with it, and it's nice to hear that next week's episode looks to be even better.

I second the comments regarding the HD feed, though. It wasn't so bad with the premiere, but this week's episode reminded me of NBC's "HD" golf broadcasts at times, which is to say it fell short of the quality I'd expect from true HD.
post #112 of 4046 Old 10-03-2007, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:

... any Enterprise fans recognize the evil Dr. guy (Zarnot or whatever his name was) who got blown up in his car but came back ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxer View Post

Yeah I recognized his voice, it was Archer's nemesis Silik the Suliban, who got orders from "Future Guy"

Bingo!
He's got quite a distinct voice doesn't he? Even without all the heavy alien makeup he wore on Enterprise he was quite easy to recognize in Chuck.

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #113 of 4046 Old 10-03-2007, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feddie View Post

The good news? I've seen next Monday's episode and now I love Chuck, too! It's the best episode by far, which is great news because it revolves around Chuck's first official mission and is essentially the template for the show. In addition to being funny, romantic and suspenseful, it features Zachary Levi doing the tango with the last person you'd ever expect (hint: GLAAD will be, um, glad).

And there is a reason we needed the two full hours of setup?

I think this is a case where the TV network should have told them to come back with something punchier. The concept isn't that hard to digest and didn't need this much setup.
post #114 of 4046 Old 10-03-2007, 10:52 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Watched the first two shows, that is it for me. Interesting premise.

Torchwood, Cane, Journeyman, Life much better new series.

JEFF PARKINSON

PROJECTS:
post #115 of 4046 Old 10-03-2007, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slordak View Post

Yes, I had the same thought. I was thinking that either the local network affiliate (e.g. WFLD-DT) forgot to "switch to high definition", or that the Fox national feed was only being broadcast in 480i/480p. It wouldn't be the first time that Fox has broadcast widescreen 480i/480p material, after all.

Um, Chuck is on NBC. At least, in MN. And yes, it was reminiscent of Fox's 480p crap. But moments were clearly high-rez, so I think it was just bitrates or something dragging the pic down. And focus, geez could they catch a face more than 10% of the time?
post #116 of 4046 Old 10-04-2007, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh right, sorry! Clearly not Fox, rather NBC (WMAQ-DT in Chicago) as you point out. I was commenting on too many of the new shows and momentarily lost track of which of them are on which networks

NBC usually gets it right, so I guess we'll have to see how it looks in future weeks...
post #117 of 4046 Old 10-04-2007, 07:24 AM

My girlfriend and I both agreed after Monday's episode that we were done with this show. "Dumb" was the best word we could come up with to describe it.

It will be canceled within a month.
post #118 of 4046 Old 10-04-2007, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Been noticing on NBC only on their HD shows the picture breaks up in the dark area of the screen. Anyone else notice this. I'm on Comcast in Jersey. No other channel is doing this. Wondering if it is a Comcast problem or NBC screwing things up again.

Upgrayedd. Which he spells thusly, with two D's, as he says, "for a double dose of this pimping".
post #119 of 4046 Old 10-04-2007, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruven42 View Post

My girlfriend and I both agreed after Monday's episode that we were done with this show. "Dumb" was the best word we could come up with to describe it.

It will be canceled within a month.

Ditto for the wife and I - wanted to give it a shot just because of the geek factor but it's way too dumb and cartoonish. The whole helicopter scene was just stupid. Oh well, at least Heroes still rocks and Journeyman shows promise.
post #120 of 4046 Old 10-04-2007, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought it was fairly entertaining compared to some of the other stuff out there. I liked the pilot better than this week, but both were watchable. I hope it sticks around for a while.

Hal
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page