Reaper on CW in HD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 496 Old 09-25-2007, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The show start off slowly, but I thought it ended on a high note. I thought the show stole some ideas from Kevin Smith's other work, but I like his stuff so that was a good thing. Am I the only person that watched this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 496 Old 09-25-2007, 08:14 PM

I thought it was decent. Worth checking out the next couple to see where it goes. The chick looks like she could be Amanda Peet's sister.
post #3 of 496 Old 09-25-2007, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I liked Dead Like Me (from Showtime originally)... and didn't want to invest myself mentally again in another similarly themed show that probably will not last.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #4 of 496 Old 09-25-2007, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

I liked Dead Like Me (from Showtime originally)... and didn't want to invest myself mentally again in another similarly themed show that probably will not last.

It is not Dead Like Me at all, although the chick who played Delores is a minor character.

It is, somehow, more foul on the CW than DLM was on Showtime. It is much more of a Kevin Smith story than anything like DLM ever was. DLM tried to be sweet and then did some weird sell-out where this bumbling girl became a rockstar and cool and confident -- that was just stoopid because it ruined the character.

Reaper is more old-fashioned ignorant, dumb funny like Dogma was. There's very little effort to act like the backstory and the side characters matter. We meet his girlfriend a few times and then she really fails to integrate. Instead you get a huge dose of his dumbass buddy being a slightly toned down version of Jay.

Also, you get to watch a guy hit a jumping dog with a car door.

If you like retarded funny, watch Reaper.
post #5 of 496 Old 09-25-2007, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Missy Peregrym is too hot to be wasted wearing that Home Depot uniform.

This show is more Ghostbuster than DLM. However, it suffers in comparison to Ghost Rider in terms of Devil's bounty hunter shows.
post #6 of 496 Old 09-25-2007, 11:29 PM

Gosh, I hope this one sticks around for a while. MeowMeow gets it dead right - DLM was a coming-of-age-tale that was sweet at the core. This is Jay & Silent Bob get screwed by the devil at the core.

The buddy scenes between Sam and Sock make the humor work along with good writing. An example: the dog scene early on was what started setting this apart, and given there were smart writers they came back to that gag a few more times without overdoing it.

Supporting cast matters - not that it didn't in DLM - but somehow I think what Andie does will be more integral to the plot than say the Brit guy or the woman cop.

I actually found CW's HD feed on my QAM tuner just to tape the rerun of the pilot on Thursday. First time I've watched anything besides the Simpsons reruns on the local WB affiliate since Enterprise HD went off the air (not that it was any good, but it was darned pretty).

Best show I've seen so far this new season and as of now about the only one I'll keep watching if it blows up for an episode to see if it was a one-off mistake.
post #7 of 496 Old 09-26-2007, 12:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Well I liked it, sometimes you need a little "retarded funny" if you will. It's either a stupid time slot of a great one depending how big and what kind of audience you want. I wouldn't miss House for this, but then I have a DVR that solves that problem. It will be interesting when Nielson starts measuring DVR use to see how rating change.
post #8 of 496 Old 09-26-2007, 01:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 377
I'll watch this one. It was funny, had some good FX and a decent band of Scoobies.

Even if it did steal from Ghostbusters, Dead Like Me, Kevin Smith stuff (well he did direct it) and Brimstone.

It was amusing entertainment that doesn't take itself seriously, and that's good enough for me.

post #9 of 496 Old 09-26-2007, 04:33 AM

It will be interesting to see where it goes past the pilot since Kevin Smith was only a guest director. I heard him on an interview a few weeks ago and he spoke very highly of the writers of the show so hopefully the show will keep its pace without Smith at the helm.

Years have gone by and I've finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar of good football. I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: A pretty move, for the love of God. And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don't give a damn...
post #10 of 496 Old 09-26-2007, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by old64mb View Post

I actually found CW's HD feed on my QAM tuner just to tape the rerun of the pilot on Thursday

You get CW in HD??? Via cable? What city? Unencrypted?

I had to watch bits and pieces in SD--for only the first episode, it's way better than some of the other junk on the prime networks...
post #11 of 496 Old 09-26-2007, 07:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcS View Post

I had to watch bits and pieces in SD--for only the first episode, it's way better than some of the other junk on the prime networks...

HD here as well. One of the few decent agreements TWC has made this year. Even if CW only broadcasts SD outside of prime time.

post #12 of 496 Old 09-26-2007, 07:23 AM

My wife and I enjoyed this. We thought the pacing was a little off at the beginning but it sorted itself out in the end.

This one is staying on our season pass for now.

BTW we get CW OTA in high def in Milwaukee. This is the first time I have watched the CW and I have to say that their logos and bugs are really intrusive and annoying! I like the show but the bugs make me not want to watch the channel. Why do the stations put on this crap - it makes me not want to watch them. Is that not counter to their advertising intent?
post #13 of 496 Old 09-26-2007, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

I wouldn't miss House for this, but then I have a DVR that solves that problem.

I would. House is kinda getting tired to me. Also, I have a lot of competition for control of my own damned TV, and their consensus is, "Why hasn't House been sentenced to life in prison, yet?"

They seem to think Reaper is really, really, blow-milk-out-your-nose funny.

I don't understand the difference between abusing dogs and abusing a hospital's diagnostic staff, but who am I to judge?

As to the general suckiness of the CW, I hope the influx of new viewers makes them think twice if this show is ever threatened. I haven't watched this channel since Enterprise went off the air.

In my area they don't even bother to carry Simpsons reruns!

Which means I have actually watched MyTV more that the CW. Think about that.
post #14 of 496 Old 09-26-2007, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Ray Wise was brilliant as Satan. "You know when they call a place a little hell on earth? Well, they really are little hells on earth. Like the DMV down on Union Street."

The fat sidekick was rather funny. I was figuring he'd be annoying after about three minutes.

David Forbes

Read excerpts, see cover art and more from my novels at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 496 Old 09-26-2007, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

I am in Atlanta and get the CW in HD OTA.
post #16 of 496 Old 09-26-2007, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Shing View Post

Missy Peregrym is too hot to be wasted wearing that Home Depot uniform.

This show is more Ghostbuster than DLM. However, it suffers in comparison to Ghost Rider in terms of Devil's bounty hunter shows.

Good analogy, that's almost exactly how I described the show to my wife: Ghost Rider meets Ghostbusters.

I also watched in HD, my only problem was that I waited until last night to watch NBC's Chuck, so I watched Chuck and Reaper almost back to back, which really highlighted the similarities between them. I enjoyed them both, it's just kind of funny how much alike they are.

Rocky
post #17 of 496 Old 09-26-2007, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 33
My wife didn't think smacking the dog with the car door was funny or cool.
post #18 of 496 Old 09-26-2007, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay1952 View Post

My wife didn't think smacking the dog with the car door was funny or cool.

Heh, my wife's exact quote was "I would have done that, too."

Rocky
post #19 of 496 Old 09-26-2007, 08:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 632
I season-passed this one because of the nearly universal glowing reviews, but I don't know if it's going to be worth the time to get invested in it. Lousy ratings in it's debut, only 4 million viewers. On a par with Veronica Mars' premiere last season and we all know what happened to that smart, critically acclaimed show.
post #20 of 496 Old 09-26-2007, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
i was excited about this one and really enjoyed it (although, i don't get the CW in HD ). i think Brett Harrison (previously seen in the underrated The Loop) is hysterical and Missy Peregrym as Andie is nice eye candie .

fwiw, Reaper is getting rave reviews and was one of Entertainment Weekly's pick for the fall TV season. i usually check out at least the pilots of EW's picks, which in the past has included Lost and Arrested Development. btw, since Reaper is on the CW, i see it sticking around...i don't watch any CW shows, but i have to figure they're a lot less likely to push the early cancellation button on a new series than the big 4 nets.

sturmie

"Why is The Flash in a hot tub?"
post #21 of 496 Old 09-26-2007, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjarrettc View Post

It will be interesting to see where it goes past the pilot since Kevin Smith was only a guest director. I heard him on an interview a few weeks ago and he spoke very highly of the writers of the show so hopefully the show will keep its pace without Smith at the helm.

I don't think you need to worry about that. Smith, by his own admission, is a crappy director. He's much improved now, but in his earlier films he basically just put the camera in front of people and rolled tape.
post #22 of 496 Old 09-26-2007, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjarrettc View Post

That's the same thing I'm thinking. I recall hearing (either in one of his latest SModcasts or on a recent Opie & Anthony interview, I forget which) that the network was interested in bringin him back, be it briefly or for a more extended term. I wonder if he'll keep the executive producer title regardless.

Anyway, for a pilot, it was pretty entertaining. I guess I'll have to add yet another show to my DVR.
post #23 of 496 Old 09-26-2007, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjnorman View Post

My wife and I enjoyed this. We thought the pacing was a little off at the beginning but it sorted itself out in the end.

This one is staying on our season pass for now.

BTW we get CW OTA in high def in Milwaukee. This is the first time I have watched the CW and I have to say that their logos and bugs are really intrusive and annoying! I like the show but the bugs make me not want to watch the channel. Why do the stations put on this crap - it makes me not want to watch them. Is that not counter to their advertising intent?

That stuff is inserted at the network level.
post #24 of 496 Old 09-26-2007, 11:36 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
I thought Reaper was great. As long as you know to expect (and like) dark humor going in. To me it seems like a darker, more sophmoric Buffy meets Ghostbusters than anything. The sidekick does his schtick well and has good timing (and can actually do regular drama pretty well too if you watched Invasion while it was on last season). I'll be watching more ep to see if it keeps it up (and it's the only show I've watched on CW so far as well).

archiguy, no real need to worry about cancellation as it doesn't seem like the tightly serialized kind of show where it would matter. Enjoy it for how ever long it lasts. Drop in for a ep here and there when time allows even...

ron
post #25 of 496 Old 09-26-2007, 11:36 AM

i was quite happy with this show. Season Pass!
post #26 of 496 Old 09-26-2007, 12:54 PM

Quote:

you should call someone to complain. i think everybody else has the CW in HD. (and has had for a while)
post #27 of 496 Old 09-26-2007, 01:45 PM

Quote:

Just south of San Francisco - had to do a loooong search through 300 channels to finally find 44 unencrypted in HD (at least I think HD - it was a 1080i feed so I'll have to check back tonight to see if they have any programming that actually is HD or just are faking me out with a nice clean digital signal when I saw their rerun of Family Guy last night. Finally getting Cablecards sometime shortly which should make my S3 happier and let me do a proper season pass. Joys of a 1 TB Tivo.) Crossing my fingers the Thursday encore is HD so that I get to see Ms. Peregrym in all her form-fitting Work Place uniform glory! Funny, didn't find her nearly as hot in Heroes.

Some review pointed out how this reminded them of Shaun of the Dead and the more I think about it the more they were right, for at least the pilot - slacker and even worse slacker have to grow up and become heroes and be riproaringly funny doing so. Outside of Dogma Kevin Smith's stuff never really appealed to me, but I loved Shaun and Hot Fuzz - so there's hope if you didn't like Clerks.

Ray Wise is definitely ripping off Ray Walston from Damn Yankees, and more power to him for it since it's perfect for this part. (As long as he doesn't break into a song about "Those...good...old...daaaaays"....)
post #28 of 496 Old 09-26-2007, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 69
KBCW Ch.44 in SF is a duopoly with CBS O&O KPIX Ch.5, so it's real HD.

post #29 of 496 Old 09-26-2007, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

good show but it's on the rec list as it comes on with The Unit.

It should still stick around though. it leaves something for almost everyone.

Mars ratings has nothing to do with this show.

HD ota and Cox here in New Orleans. looked better than the dl...

Cichlids are my HD
Technology is my hobby
PSN/LIVE: LaCoMBo78
post #30 of 496 Old 09-26-2007, 02:28 PM

Girlfriend liked it as much as I did. Season Pass for now, lets hope it holds up!

Jamie

Jamie Crane
Great minds discuss ideas.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page