post #271 of 15166 Old 09-26-2007, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by scJohn View Post

I get all of the test channels and I get all of the new HD channels that I am suppose to be getting. My system was upgraded about 2 weeks ago. Here are are my signal readings for 103(b):

1-8 80 43 73 40 77 44 74 41
9-16 78 50 75 49 80 52 NA NA
17-24 78

Is it normal to have all of the even number transponders lower than the odd number ones?

thanks

In general, your channel numbers are low. 90 plus on all channels is excellent. There is one transponder that is weaker and is difficult to get a reading over 89.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 15166 Old 09-26-2007, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard korsgren View Post

...and, I agree. Directv is now doing a very good job of bringing us HD. It is now up to the programmers (channels such as A and E and TVT, etc.) to wake up and start doing HD correctly. If they have to do a 4 x 3 program, that is ok..just do it correctly. When others are doing it correctly, I see no valid reason why a few channels are not showing a HD (16 x 9) program correctly. So, let us begin to write to these programmers who need to do HD correctly.

IMO D* should withhold agreeing to broadcast someone's poor signal. Unless they have some sort of incentive clause in their contract for upgrading to true HD, which I doubt, providers will not have as much motivation to invest in the hardware and time to get us what we want. Fortunately not all of the public is dumb and their ratings will drop for dishing crap out.
post #273 of 15166 Old 09-26-2007, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee14 View Post

I was receiving channels 9300 and 9301,
I was also getting 498 and channels 480 & 481 said my BBC were working,

I have a H20 & HR20.

This morning I only got 206 and 209 which I take are MPEG 2.

I called directv and after an hour of repeating everything I did BEFORE I called they claim I need a tech to come out.

I read Previously that some units needed to have Directv reset the HD program setting, I asked SIX TIMES and they refused to do it saying it made no sense >

Two Questions :

(1) Should I call back and insist on the HD Program Reset off / on.

(2) I read were some splitters might not have the ability to pass thru MPEG 4 to a 5 LNB .

Do either make make sense and what brands should I look for.

The last tech that came out for a service call to set up the 5 LNB was OK but he claimed that some "connectors" were bad. and the price was kind of High

Greg

I was only receiving a coupla the new channels. Called, they said my hd package was the old one, switched it to the new one to get all the channels. I also had to get my locals turned back on. Then I was missing hd locals. Did a reset and now everything is right with the world, just had my install yesterday.
post #274 of 15166 Old 09-26-2007, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

FWIW, I had all the "can't see 93xx", or "no slide on 498" issues. My new BBC's came yesterday, they are Revision3 compared to my Revision2's. I had lots of issues with my DVR (HR20-700) with those BBC on and most cleared up with them removed. D* gives them away, get some.

Back to topic, the HD on Smithsonian is AWESOME, many notches above the MPEG2 stuff. I cannot wait until the AVS gear heads pick the bitrate/compression ratios apart.
With all this new HD and Halo3 this week, Christmas or non-denominational winter festivus has come early.

I feel you on this. I'm looking forward to NBA 2k8 next week and with the new added HD-channels it is like an early Christmas/birthday
post #275 of 15166 Old 09-26-2007, 11:55 AM

I called D* I'm getting the HR20 and the new single dish that picks up all 4 satellites. How big is this?

I'm probably not going to like the stretched 4:3. I like to zoom and unzoom depending on the image. But I don't like the stretch mode unless I do it myself.

I'll take a little cropping here and there over a warped image anyday.

I wonder how the HD pq compares to Comcast HD? Anyone?
post #276 of 15166 Old 09-26-2007, 11:56 AM

I will be interested too in confirmation of exactly which channels are MPEG4. For example, I now have HBOH channel 70 programmed out in favor of HBOHD, 501, assuming that it is MPEG4, but I don't know that fer sure. All the new channels seem to have the HD moniker instead of just an H if that is any indication.
post #277 of 15166 Old 09-26-2007, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeks View Post

Its time to start complaining to them. While TNT has seemingly ignored complaints, maybe the Discovery family will listen.

IMHO channels should operate as follows:

1) No stretching/zooming ever. Let me decide if I want to zoom/stretch. Just give me the program in 16:9 if it was filmed that way, 4:3 if it was that way. And for movies, give me OAR (the way the Director intended it to be seen)

2) Use 5.1 DD

3) Keep the advertising bugs (especially the large animated ones) to a minimum

If they do those things at least they won't lose viewers because of those issues. It will then all come down to programming.

I know there are a lot of people who will not watch TNT because of these issues.

Count me as another vote.
post #278 of 15166 Old 09-26-2007, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcb View Post

Assuming you are correct, why a duplicate channel of say ESPN? And where did you get your information?

Fred

No reason to assume he is correct, he is a trusted source here (considering he is a Moderator of this forum) and they are not duplicated (double bandwidth use if that is what you mean) they are simply mirrored, much like 70/509 for HBO and other channels have been all along.

Jeff
post #279 of 15166 Old 09-26-2007, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Check this out
I have a friend who already has D* with HD
He has the HD-Tivo HR10-250 with 3LNB dish
I told him about the new channels and to call D* for the
new 5LNB dish and HR20 HD DVR.

He called and asked to be upgraded to be able to receive the new HD channels.
He told the CSR that he has the HR10-250 with 3LNB dish
A D* CSR said the following:

Lets see. Do you have a gray box with a black cord coming out the back?
Answer: YES

Do you have a dish with 3LNB's?

Then you are all set. All you need are BBC convertors. I am sending them today
Just hook them up and you will get all of the new channels.

He asked...."So the HR10-250 can get all of the new HD channels just relesaed today?

This is Direct TV's worst problem...the CSR's
post #280 of 15166 Old 09-26-2007, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidwiz View Post

I will be interested too in confirmation of exactly which channels are MPEG4. For example, I now have HBOH channel 70 programmed out in favor of HBOHD, 501, assuming that it is MPEG4, but I don't know that fer sure. All the new channels seem to have the HD moniker instead of just an H if that is any indication.

Just go to the first page of this post for information on what channels are MPEG4 and MPEG2 - the H or HD I think has no bearing at all.

Jeff
post #281 of 15166 Old 09-26-2007, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paule123 View Post

Re the top sticky listing the channel numbers. Why is MASN/SportsTime Ohio listed together on one line? These are two completely different channels... unless D* is planning on sharing one channel assignment for both (which would make us NE Ohio folks very unhappy...)

MASN doesnt have any plans to carry Os or Nats games in 2008 in HD so I dont know why MASN HD would be listed since Baseball games of those two teams is like 90% of the programing. The only other team without any HD coverage from a home network is the Royals, and aparently Fox Sports Midwest will carry their games in HD next year. As an Os fan, it sickens me since Comcast had HD coverage of Os games when they were on Comcast Sports Net before the move to MASN this year. Nationals fans might have hope that they decide to go to HD for the new ballpark next year but Os fans don't have that hope to hold on to.

Not to mention that Peter Angelos, who owns MASN and the Orioles, must have bought the cameras MASN uses 15 years ago at a garage sale.
post #282 of 15166 Old 09-26-2007, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

While it is true that D* can program any feed to a specific channel - I suspect that 501 is now MPEG4 -

We will probably now see a push to get all existing customers on to the new equipment.

Reggie
Family Room:70" Sharp Elite/Marantz AV8801/MM8801/GoldenEar:Triton Ones (superseding Triton 2s), SuperCenter XL center channel, and SuperSat 60 surrounds/Oppo BDP-105/Directv Genie/ HP Notebook
Basement: 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000/Marantz AV8003/Marantz MM8003/PSB Stratus Gold Front,Center,Left, Surrounds
post #283 of 15166 Old 09-26-2007, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by A4Short View Post

While it is true that D* can program any feed to a specific channel - I suspect that 501 is now MPEG4 -

We will probably now see a push to get all existing customers on to the new equipment.

Those that are not on new equip, will most likely desire to be by years end.

-Brian
post #284 of 15166 Old 09-26-2007, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

At different times the audio and video (on some of these HD channels) have not been hitting my eyes and ears at the same moment.

So, for quality and quanity of HD content, SmithsonianHD has been right up at the top. Some programming from CNNHD and the WeatherHD Channel has been top notch as well. They both do quite a bit in SD but they are doing non-HD portions well and it is clean and clear and very watchable. .
post #285 of 15166 Old 09-26-2007, 12:09 PM
fcb
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

Ok, I just yanked my b-band converter and lost all channels ending in HD, including ESPNHD, HBOHD, and ShowtimeHD. That means they are coming from the new bird, which would make them MPEG4, right?

Fred

Fred

Don't make 'em like they used to, but charge you double price, promise you steak but give you beans and rice.
Just ain't enough good stuff!

Panasonic 65VT60

Yamaha RX-V3900

Ohm Walsh 200 Mk-2

Uverse

HP H8-1360T

post #286 of 15166 Old 09-26-2007, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

That's funny. Again, this is why I left.

skyehill's very own words convict and judge him for the mental softness he displays. It is hard for rational, sentient thought to persuade the absolute and unutteringly objective beings known as, "skyehill's EYES".

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

Of course I have proof. MY EYES. Now run along. You weren't missed.

My HD DNS days are kaput!
post #287 of 15166 Old 09-26-2007, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berk32 View Post

only material from nyc studios is HD at the moment.

^^^^referring to a my comment about seeing CNN with sidebars.

When I skimmed the guide on that channel I didn't see any HD logos for it today. Did I just not see when they were actually broadcasting from an HD source? Are they intermixing HD broadcasts from NYC with SD broadcasts elsewhere and the HD shot scenes are in full 16:9 and the rest with sidebars? That's what my local CBS affiliate does, but of course by now all the studio scenes are HD.
post #288 of 15166 Old 09-26-2007, 12:21 PM

Quote:

Assuming you are correct, why a duplicate channel of say ESPN? And where did you get your information?

Fred

posters on another forum that cannot get sat 119 (like me which is why I am researching this issue) which is ESPN 2 HD - turned to 209 (or whatever it is) for the alleged new sat 103b feed for ESPN 2 HD and got the "searching for sat" message - it appears that all the 70s "old" HD channels are still in MPEG2 just in a different spot. hopefully they will switch over soon - I'll be looking forward to getting ESPN 2 HD again (recently switched from comcast to D*)
post #289 of 15166 Old 09-26-2007, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2 View Post

I called D* I'm getting the HR20 and the new single dish that picks up all 4 satellites. How big is this?

32.5" wide x 22.5" high.

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...AT=&PROD=AU9-S
post #290 of 15166 Old 09-26-2007, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Right now, TNTHD is looking good...showing Law and Order..and it seems to be the original version from NBC. Yes, it does look quite good.
post #291 of 15166 Old 09-26-2007, 12:22 PM

Quote:

Ok, I just yanked my b-band converter and lost all channels ending in HD, including ESPNHD, HBOHD, and ShowtimeHD. That means they are coming from the new bird, which would make them MPEG4, right?

Fred

I think thats right.

Philips 60PP9601 60" Proj.
Sony KDL46XBR4 46" LCD
Norcent LT-3222 32" LCD
Norcent LT-2090 20" LCD (2)
Direct TV HR20-100 (5)
post #292 of 15166 Old 09-26-2007, 12:25 PM
rad
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Right now, TNTHD is looking good...showing Law and Order..and it seems to be the original version from NBC. Yes, it does look quite good.

TNT-HD on 245 is just a mirror of 75/MPEG2, to prove it pull the BBC off the satellite line, it still works.
post #293 of 15166 Old 09-26-2007, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

From the comments here, It is plain the majority see MPEG4 being much better than MPEG2. Well, as for me, I still see some great quality viewing on HDNET and HD THEATER. I still believe content has so much to do with the final images we see on our display. I have seen some MPEG4 transmissions (channels) this day that looked far below quality of afore mentioned channels transmitted in MPEG2. This is just my opinion. I am not here to debate your opinion.
post #294 of 15166 Old 09-26-2007, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad View Post

TNT-HD on 245 is just a mirror of 75/MPEG2, to prove it pull the BBC off the satellite line, it still works.

I did not say TNTHD was in MPEG4. Just gave you my opinion on one program I was viewing. Usually, TNTHD can look ..not very good...
post #295 of 15166 Old 09-26-2007, 12:36 PM
fcb
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

From the comments here, It is plain the majority see MPEG4 being much better than MPEG2. Well, as for me, I still see some great quality viewing on HDNET and HD THEATER. I still believe content has so much to do with the final images we see on our display. I have seen some MPEG4 transmissions (channels) this day that looked far below quality of afore mentioned channels transmitted in MPEG2. This is just my opinion. I am not here to debate your opinion.

Garbage in, garbage out. If the source, and your monitor are good enough the MPEG4 seems to look better. Personally I would need a side by side comparison to be sure, though. I am sure that the SD coming in on the MPEG4 looks much better on my Sony XBR2. Blazing Saddles looked pretty good on HD Theatre just now, though.

Fred

Fred

Don't make 'em like they used to, but charge you double price, promise you steak but give you beans and rice.
Just ain't enough good stuff!

Panasonic 65VT60

Yamaha RX-V3900

Ohm Walsh 200 Mk-2

Uverse

HP H8-1360T

post #296 of 15166 Old 09-26-2007, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

By the way, signal strengths on 103b are now back around 95 (up from 90). The lower numbers were brought on by a mild rain shower. So, it is important to start out with high numbers on the transponders. The higher, the better.
post #297 of 15166 Old 09-26-2007, 12:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

TMC looks very nice. Although my opinion may be Alba-iased.

It did look pretty good, of course it's film-based so it should look good. TBS-HD and the MLB playoffs should be a good indicator for PQ.
post #298 of 15166 Old 09-26-2007, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb35 View Post

posters on another forum that cannot get sat 119 (like me which is why I am researching this issue) which is ESPN 2 HD - turned to 209 (or whatever it is) for the alleged new sat 103b feed for ESPN 2 HD and got the "searching for sat" message - it appears that all the 70s "old" HD channels are still in MPEG2 just in a different spot. hopefully they will switch over soon - I'll be looking forward to getting ESPN 2 HD again (recently switched from comcast to D*)

You and they will probably be out of luck forever. After all subscribers have MPEG4 capable STBs, those MPEG2s will go away. But, as long as D* has those orbit assignments (read: forever), they will use them for programming. So in the distant future, 119 will have MPEG4 channels (SD or HD) that you may want to view. So, you will still have to figure out how to saw down your neighbors tree .

Ernie
post #299 of 15166 Old 09-26-2007, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Originally Posted by fcb

Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParsonsBri View Post

I think thats right.

That is not correct, it is the opposite.

Jeff
post #300 of 15166 Old 09-26-2007, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambroni View Post

That's funny. Again, this is why I left.

skyehill's very own words convict and judge him for the mental softness he displays. It is hard for rational, sentient thought to persuade the absolute and unutteringly objective beings known as, "skyehill's EYES".

Bye!
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page