post #451 of 15165 Old 09-26-2007, 08:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth3639 View Post

D* HDLite is actually 1280 x 1088i. Just trying to clear the air.

Clear the air? You must be kidding. Your comment only adds to the confusion.

Here is the definition of HDLite:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/faq.p...l&titlesonly=0

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 15165 Old 09-26-2007, 08:54 PM

Liked: 10
where the hell is MHD?
post #453 of 15165 Old 09-26-2007, 08:57 PM

Damn this is cool .... new channels to watch!
post #454 of 15165 Old 09-26-2007, 09:11 PM

Before I call D* for a replacement, I hope to get a few responses on those with HR20's. Mine is "churning...make some sort of noice" even when the power is off. Shouldn't this be totally quiet when powered down? When unplugged it is totally quiet. However I'm getting noice even high pitched noice from the machine as well as the churning noice all the time it's on as well of powered off. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks
post #455 of 15165 Old 09-26-2007, 09:18 PM

Mine is quiet.
post #456 of 15165 Old 09-26-2007, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post

The whole reason for this is because you can't put two signals on the same frequency and expect to receive both of them. D* has to use the 950 MHz and below to send the Ka signals because the KU signals run at L band, 950 to 2050. If you have two receivers and one is tuned to the History channel in L band and A&E HD in the 950 and below band, you move the BBC to allow OTA signals and one of the receivers will not work. It is that simple.

I never said I had two receivers on the same cable. Given my understanding of the multiswitch, the example you give would require two cables no matter what.

I have one of the four outputs of the multiswitch going through a BBC then into the high frequency input to a diplexer, my CATV cable goes into the low frequency input to the diplexer. This cable runs from the corner of my house through the crawl space to my living room, were it hits breaks out of another diplexer with the high frequency cable going to my H20, and the low frequency cable going to my cable modem, HDHR, and coax input on my TV. Although the multiswitch will determine what frequencies head down the line from my dish, the BBC that is BEFORE the diplexer will convert the Ka lo-band frequencies to the Ku/Ka-hi band required for input to the D* receiver, thus preventing interference of the CATV signals with the Ka lo-band signal. QED
post #457 of 15165 Old 09-26-2007, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actuary555 View Post

Do you have an ota line also hooked up?

No OTA antenna hooked up... I think I'll try to wait it out but man... reading these posts just makes me itchy. Real itchy...
post #458 of 15165 Old 09-26-2007, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgcaste View Post

...and can fold into our back pockets.

I'm still waiting for my daylight viewable volumetric holographic projector...that can fit in my back pocket
post #459 of 15165 Old 09-26-2007, 09:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonystarks View Post

No OTA antenna hooked up... I think I'll try to wait it out but man... reading these posts just makes me itchy. Real itchy...

Even though the OTA isn't hooked up, is the signal going through a diplexer? if it goes through a diplexer and then a BBC you will lose all of the Ka lo-band signal when the signal is undiplexed (is that the right word?)
If it's still going through a diplexer, try to move the BBC before the diplexer or just remove the diplexers, whichever is easier
post #460 of 15165 Old 09-26-2007, 09:31 PM

sorry I haven't followed the HDlite saga for years now, but my family just made an HD upgrade.

So does MPEG4 look really good or is it HDlite continued? Honestly, I don't think my family would notice that much but just curious, thanks guys
post #461 of 15165 Old 09-26-2007, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepbrs View Post

Even though the OTA isn't hooked up, is the signal going through a diplexer? if it goes through a diplexer and then a BBC you will lose all of the Ka lo-band signal when the signal is undiplexed (is that the right word?)
If it's still going through a diplexer, try to move the BBC before the diplexer or just remove the diplexers, whichever is easier

Well, the signal from the dish is split to 4 different receivers (the Living Room one, the only HD set, is the one I'm concerned about. It's not split otherwise.). Would that be the problem? Should I put the BBC before the splitter, even if it's outside the house?
post #462 of 15165 Old 09-26-2007, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipdouglass89 View Post

Before I call D* for a replacement, I hope to get a few responses on those with HR20's. Mine is "churning...make some sort of noice" even when the power is off. Shouldn't this be totally quiet when powered down? When unplugged it is totally quiet. However I'm getting noice even high pitched noice from the machine as well as the churning noice all the time it's on as well of powered off. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks

It doesn't make any noise when it's unplugged? That's weird.

Blind faith will get you killed.
post #463 of 15165 Old 09-26-2007, 10:45 PM

Quote:

I'm getting a high-pitched whine that only
happens on the new channels. I can switch
thru a few SD channels and it goes away. I
can do the same with the old HD channels.
Turn it off while tuned to one of the new
channels and the high-pitched whine remains.
Playing back recorded content from one of
the new channels doesn't produce the noise.
Since it's so high pitched, most probably can't
hear it. I can hear it from 9 feet away over
my tv. Sounds like it's coming from the front
of the HR20. Damn, it's annoying.

I'm still waiting on my HDTV, so I'm going to
wait until I get it setup in hopes it's from
using super video and/or 480i before getting
a replacement.
post #464 of 15165 Old 09-26-2007, 11:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well, the signal from the dish is split to 4 different receivers (the Living Room one, the only HD set, is the one I'm concerned about. It's not split otherwise.). Would that be the problem? Should I put the BBC before the splitter, even if it's outside the house?

Are you saying that there's a single cable coming out of your dish, which goes to a 4-way splitter, and each leg from the splitter goes to each of your four receivers? I'm no expert, but I don't think that will work if you want HD, due the multiswitch in your dish (assuming it has a builtin multiswitch, someone else jump in here and correct me if i'm wrong). Each receiver needs to have it's own cable all the way up to your dish (AFAIK), so if you have the time and motivation and mind to keep track of everything, disconnect as much stuff from the path to the dish as you can, until you just have a cable running from your dish through a BBC into your receiver
post #465 of 15165 Old 09-26-2007, 11:20 PM

Quote:

I'll be damned... I moved the BBC just on a whim (and I was desperate) to just where the coax meets wallplate and voila! All channels now... must be bad cable running from the wall to the HD20? Who cares! It works now!
post #466 of 15165 Old 09-26-2007, 11:21 PM

Thanks for all your help twelvepbrs! I can sleep (ha!) easy now.
post #467 of 15165 Old 09-26-2007, 11:32 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone else see SmithsonianHD video go blank intermitently around 11:30 PM PT (2:30 AM ET)? I'm 80's-90's in signal strenght for all the 103(b) transponders, and i haven't seen video problems on any of the other new HD's, just trying to figure if it's my problem or "their" problem
post #468 of 15165 Old 09-26-2007, 11:40 PM

Quote:

Anyone else see SmithsonianHD video go blank intermitently around 11:30 PM PT (2:30 AM ET)? I'm 80's-90's in signal strenght for all the 103(b) transponders, and i haven't seen video problems on any of the other new HD's, just trying to figure if it's my problem or "their" problem

Actually, man... I did. I got about 10 minutes of new HD (about enough time to watch TWC and Smithsonian) before it went back out. Maybe the problem is on their end?
post #469 of 15165 Old 09-27-2007, 12:00 AM

Well two points to consider-

1) IIRC when you turn the HR20 'off' it takes this to mean you're not watching TV and may perform housekeeping duties. So it could do some thrashing then I expect.

2) Some drives are just louder than others but if its a mechanical noise outside what is normal do NOT ignore it. Esp if you hear a slight tick tick sound. Bad drive MAY also manifest itself in recording glitches, odd reboots things like that.

This should probably be in the hardware forum.

Quote:

PVR user since the late 1900's . . .
post #470 of 15165 Old 09-27-2007, 12:07 AM

Quote:

Yes, I combine my OTA cable and my satellite cable into one cable which runs through the house and diplexes into two cables at the receiver.
post #471 of 15165 Old 09-27-2007, 12:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 33
History HD is nice, but i think most of it is stretched. I just hope we get sci-fi HD in time before halloween. Also Conan isn't in HD, I'm getting SD NBC another one that's scretched and channel 83 is SD with letterbox. This is not cool because Conan was a big reason i got an HDTV

post #472 of 15165 Old 09-27-2007, 03:01 AM
AVS Special Member

I am one of the unlucky ones. My first HR-20 went out a month ago and was replaced by a D* installer. The second one appears to work fine ..I get all channels including the old (MPEG-2) HD. I am not technically knowledgeable, but know a little from reading various forum posts.

When the new MPEG-4 channels got turned on, I was only able to receive them by first going to channel 206 then 207 first ...before going to a new HD channel. I now cannot get any new HD channels at all.

I was able to check sat strength by following posted directions. I get all zeros on sat 103(b) tuner one and don't know why. I know the B band converters were installed by D* when they changed out the last HR-20. (And I have the new 5LNB sat dish.) Test channel 480 and 481 all show searching for satellite which I understand is a good sign. But I also get that message on all new channels.

What could cause me to not to be able to receive the new HD channels? All my installation work was done professionally ...either by the original company where I purchased my setup (Pioneer 65" rear projection in a very expensive 12 foot X 7 foot cabinet) or by D* installers (numerous times.) What could cause me not to be able to get the new channels? I am really disappointed in the roll-out. I don't know much more than the above.

I called D* customer service and they transferred me to their technical people and when they couldn't get the new HD channels going, scheduled a service call for later today. Again, anyone know what the problem might be? D* installers seem to only want to get in and get out fast ...and I question some of their expertise. I am really frustrated and annoyed by all of this. Any help will be appreciated.

"Time's fun when you're having flies." ...Kermit the Frog
post #473 of 15165 Old 09-27-2007, 03:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Did you try a reset???
post #474 of 15165 Old 09-27-2007, 04:15 AM

To Fred M: This probably belongs in the hardware thread, but I will ask a couple of questions:

1. Do you have a multiswitch installed, if so, which one?
2. Are you diplexing OTA?
post #475 of 15165 Old 09-27-2007, 04:25 AM

I'll admit I'm pretty disappointed... explain to me why these HD networks would choose to distort the **** out of 4x3 shows... I mean, its unwatchable to me... why can't they just air the show in OAR, and let us decide if we want to make everyone squished and fat... the majority of these new HD channels suck ass. Thanks for nothing DirecTV.

Oh, and I don't get the CW because "they haven't finalized a contract with that network in my region yet". Although other areas apparently get the CW with their DirecTV local HD packaging... again, thanks for nothing DirecTV.
post #476 of 15165 Old 09-27-2007, 04:35 AM

The addition of these new HD channels is good news! It's moking me want to subscribe to D*. Is it best to deal directly with D*? Thanks.
post #477 of 15165 Old 09-27-2007, 04:42 AM

I'm getting the 721 message on the starz hd channels, but the regular starz channels are comming in just fine. Anyone else experience this?
post #478 of 15165 Old 09-27-2007, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packerfan View Post

I'm getting the 721 message on the starz hd channels, but the regular starz channels are comming in just fine. Anyone else experience this?

Call D*, they have to remove and add back the HD package. After that you should be fine, happened to me too. Thats what they said fixed it.
post #479 of 15165 Old 09-27-2007, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John4924 View Post

To Fred M: This probably belongs in the hardware thread, but I will ask a couple of questions:

1. Do you have a multiswitch installed, if so, which one?
2. Are you diplexing OTA?

Sorry, but I have no idea what a multiswitch is ...or what "diplexing OTA" is. My installation was done by a professional installation firm who no longer does residential work.

post #480 of 15165 Old 09-27-2007, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvincr View Post

Did you try a reset???

Yes, I pushed "the red button" under the lower left HR-20 door twice. No help at all.

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page