Old 09-27-2007, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegojoe View Post

I watched about an hour of that classic car episode on smithsonian. I'm not the least bit interested in cars, but I couldn't turn away. It was great to see the clarity of great HD used to show these multi-million dollar automobiles.

yeah that Monterey Concurs deElegance is great. I was right next to Leno the time his Duzie won Best of Show. Beautiful place and lots of Beautiful People (who let the token ugly in - me)

Reggie
Family Room:70" Sharp Elite/Marantz AV8801/MM8077/GoldenEar:Triton Ones (superseding Triton 2s), SuperCenter XL center channel, and SuperSat 60surrounds/Oppo BDP-105/Directv Genie/ HP Notebook
Basement: 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000/Marantz AV8003/Marantz MM8003/PSB Stratus Gold Front,Center,Left, Surrounds
Old 09-27-2007, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

MPEG2 channels are still in MPEG2.

D* needs to do a simulcast of HDNet on D10 - If there was one network committed to quality and performance in HD it is this company - It would benefit the most from MPEG4 instead of HDLite MPEG2

Reggie
Family Room:70" Sharp Elite/Marantz AV8801/MM8077/GoldenEar:Triton Ones (superseding Triton 2s), SuperCenter XL center channel, and SuperSat 60surrounds/Oppo BDP-105/Directv Genie/ HP Notebook
Basement: 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000/Marantz AV8003/Marantz MM8003/PSB Stratus Gold Front,Center,Left, Surrounds
Old 09-27-2007, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Strange that some HD content isn't labeled HD in the guide (some of the newly added movie channels).
Old 09-27-2007, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post

Say a channel was all HD every hour but during prime time, so it is HD 85% of the time. Say another channel is all HD every morning, afternoon and evening. They might only score a 50% on your % HD scale.

All that matters is if the programs you want to watch are in HD.

You can see if your programs have HD logos here:

http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tvlistings/ZCGrid.do

Take care,

Craig

Very, very true. While much of what is on the new HD channels I won't watch or care for, the fact is I was able to convert 4 more season passes to HD. Once Sci-Fi and Spike go HD then 99% of everything *we* watch in my house will be in HD.

I could care less if Sci-Fi only carries 5 hours of HD a week (just for example) but if in those 5 hours are the only 3 shows I watch on the channel then Sci-Fi 100% HD as far as I'm concerned.

Party on DirecTV.

Scott
Old 09-27-2007, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 969
Quote:

ESPN did.

As well as HDNET, they seen very responsive to viewer input.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

As well as HDNET, they seen very responsive to viewer input.

Very true.

Remember in the early days when we were all saying how great movie trailers are in HD (& 5.1) and it would be great to put a bunch together? Seemed like only weeks later that HDNet started "Nothing But Trailers".
Old 09-27-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:

moved from D* to FIOS and now I'm thinking maybe it's time to go back my questions:

1) has D* moved or mirrored all the national HD channels -- TNT, HDnet(MV), Disc HD Theater, UHD -- to mpeg4 so you get full HD on those?

2) what's the lowest package I need to buy to watch and record all the old and new and upcoming national HD channels and HD locals (excluding the premiums of course).

3) is fox sports west and prime ticket hd available?

thanks

AFAIK, all current Mpeg-2 stations are still on the old sat. Some, like ESPN and TNT have been re-mapped, but it is still the same signal. No news on RSNs yet.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

By the way, to me, program content is much more important that whether the channel is in HD or SD. I never watch a program 'just because it is in HD'.

Right now, on TNTHD a program golf is being shown. And it looks ' very good' if not excellent. It is an improvement on much of TNT content. It still does not have the clean, clear, sharp look of the best HD. In all fairness, it is a very dull day in Montreal. Yes, TNTHD does live sports very well; if only they would follow thru on all their programming.

And, to me, HDNET is still a prime example on how good our present state of HD can look. And, to think, it is only presented in MPEG2. I believe the quality that goes into filming or taping a movie program is all important..much more so than MPEG2 or MPEG4. Yet, on these forums, there is endless discussion on MPEG2 versus MPEG4. One of my favorite programs is 'Sunrise Earth' and it is shown by HD Theatre and Animal PlanetHD Channel and both come thru (to my eyes) as about the same. The showings are excellent and quite useless to debate which is better. Just, sit back and enjoy.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcb View Post

206 does come from the new satelite- so it's either MPEG4 or they are sending MPEG2 through it for some reason. Any increase in picture quality between MPEG2 and 4 would probably require side by side comparison to detect.

Since all of the new channels that end in "HD" come from the new satelite, which you can prove by removing the BBC converter, I see no reason to believe they are other than MPEG-4.

Fred

Can't someone with an HR20 pretty easily determine this? If you simultaneously record the same 1 hour long show on 73 and 206, if 206 is mpeg4, the show recorded on 206 should take up less room than the show recorded on 73, correct?

Seems like it should be pretty easy to tell that, I would think. Maybe I'm delusional though (a distinct possibility).

--Mav
Old 09-27-2007, 12:27 PM

206 is not from the new sat, I can see it in HD on my HR10.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post

I've missed a few pages yesterday, but at that time, I read some debates on whether the new channels of the old MPEG-2 HD channels were still MPEG-2 or MPEG-4...such as 206 (ESPNHD). The first page of this thread still shows 206 as MPEG-2. Based on my eyes, I see no difference in PQ between 73 and 206, so I'd assume it's just a remap of the same MPEG-2 channel. I've read where some folks are stating 206 looks better. This leads me to:

A) 206 is really MPEG-4, but if so, then HD Lite or not, I don't see a diffenence in the PQ

B) The people that do see a difference must be justifying it to themselves because they think it's MPEG-4 and think the PQ is better in their own mind. Or, they had no reason to complain over HD-Lite as they can't tell a difference, if indeed, 206 is still MPEG-2.

Anyone have the correct answer?

I posted the same type of thing early yesterday morning. I saw no difference in PQ on both stations. If they are sending ESPN in mpeg-4 it is severely bit starved.

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

My Samsung 55" D8000 LED-3D tv settings.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Check the first post in the thread. Original MPEG2 channels are still being sent via MPEG2.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast View Post

I posted the same type of thing early yesterday morning. I saw no difference in PQ on both stations. If they are sending ESPN in mpeg-4 it is severely bit starved.

And, my opinion is that ESPNHD looks great. Especially, their studio shots (and graphics) are among the best. This is true of both MPEG2 and MPEG4.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

There is no MPEG4 ESPN.

It is also a 720p channel which means D* is not reducing the resolution - so it won't be nearly as bad as the MPEG2 1080i channels.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Some of these channels dont quite fill the screen for me. TLCHD and SCIHD have large black vertical bar on the left and small on the right Sometimes the commercials do fill the screen..
Old 09-27-2007, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Check the first post in the thread. Original MPEG2 channels are still being sent via MPEG2.

That's only half of the answer. MPEG2 isn't necessarily bad, just the compression isn't as efficient as MPEG-4. MPEG2 isn't what gave D* the "HD Lite" nickname. It was bit starving that gave them the HD Lite nickname. Although 206HD and 209HD are MPEG-2, are they being handled by the D10 sat or the old sat? Is it just a remap like how they did with HBO when HBO first went live in HD (70 and 509??). A couple posts up is a sub that states he can receive 206 in HD via the H10. That alone would say MPEG-2 on the old sat.

Tony
Old 09-27-2007, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmj713 View Post

Can anyone suggest anything else to me? My HR20 goes right to the HD version of a channel (punching in 202 leads to CNN HD), but on my H20 that doesn't work and I have to channel up. I also have the white interface on the HR20 and the old blue one on the H20. I tried doing the software update during start up, it said "new software found", downloaded, but nothing changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasFlyby View Post

It's supposed to be fixed in the next national software upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26339 View Post

Anyone have any info on when this might take place?

Thanks!

Any update on this?
Old 09-27-2007, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

That's only half of the answer.

That was the full answer to what I was responding to. I didn't make any claims to inferiority of MPEG2 to MPEG4 as a compression format - that wasn't the issue.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard korsgren View Post

And, my opinion is that ESPNHD looks great. Especially, their studio shots (and graphics) are among the best. This is true of both MPEG2 and MPEG4.

Their studio shots and graphics might look good, but watch the graphics when they show some kind of stats or whatever extra. When they come flying in or change scenes you can definitely noticing the blocking.

And if you still can't see it, watch when the leave/come back for commercials. There is that ball that has all the extra stuff spinning around it. That just looks awful.

D* is sending the ESPNHD mpeg-2 feed at 1280x720. However if they don't send enough bandwidth for the channel it is going to look like it does now. It's no different than a local affiliate that is multicasting. We have 3 1080i stations that multicast is Memphis and their HD PQ is terrible. There are blocks everywhere when there is a medium amount of movement and a scene changes.

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

Old 09-27-2007, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

We're even getting insufficient bandwidth artifacts on the SD channels.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That was the full answer to what I was responding to. I didn't make any claims to inferiority of MPEG2 to MPEG4 as a compression format - that wasn't the issue.

Maybe I didn't word it well There are two open questions.

1) is 206HD, etc. MPEG2 or MPEG4. You answered this as it's been on your first post since yesterday.

2) Is 206HD, etc that's being broadcast in MPEG-2 coming from the old sat or the new sat? I'd assume it's the old sat and it's just a remapping of the channel, but I haven't seen a confirmation on this yet. Old or new sat? Maybe everything on the new sat MUST be MPEG-4, that I don't know.

Tony
Old 09-27-2007, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenelucky View Post

Any update on this?

I would expect this would happen soon. However if D* is releasing a CE for the H20 you could jump on that and I'm pretty sure this feature would be in there. I got a CE for my H20 about 3 weeks ago and my H20 tunes to the HD channel first. Go to dbstalk.com in the CE area for more info. CE's aren't usually announced until the day of.

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

Old 09-27-2007, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

2) Is 206HD, etc that's being broadcast in MPEG-2 coming from the old sat or the new sat? I'd assume it's the old sat and it's just a remapping of the channel, but I haven't seen a confirmation on this yet. Old or new sat? Maybe everything on the new sat MUST be MPEG-4, that I don't know.

I'm pretty sure it's re-mapped.

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

Old 09-27-2007, 01:06 PM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Maybe I didn't word it well There are two open questions.

1) is 206HD, etc. MPEG2 or MPEG4. You answered this as it's been on your first post since yesterday.

It's a remap just like channel 70 (HBO) has always been remapped to 509. It's still on the old sat and therefore, MPEG2. Everything on the new sat and the impending sat is/will be MPEG4.

"I'm going to call them scallywags" - Ollie

Xbox Live: Stunt1on1
Old 09-27-2007, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano View Post

Some of these channels dont quite fill the screen for me. TLCHD and SCIHD have large black vertical bar on the left and small on the right Sometimes the commercials do fill the screen..

Same here. They aren't as "big" as the 4:3 "bars" --they're probably 1/4 the size -- but they're there, which is very confusing to me. If the show is being sent in 1080i or 720p, from whence the black bars? The source (like when 4:3 content is done "properly")? If so, then what's the aspect ratio of the actual material (16x9 less the little bars on the side)? Is it a standardized size? I though the two "standardized" aspect ratios were 16:9 and 4:3; is there another one in between? I'm fairly confused by this.

Any help from those of you who are more informed than myself (pretty much everyone) would be very helpful. Thanks.

--Mav
Old 09-27-2007, 01:10 PM

Are the HBO and SHO channels added in the 500s MPEG4, as opposed to MPEG2 in the 70s?
Old 09-27-2007, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast View Post

Their studio shots and graphics might look good, but watch the graphics when they show some kind of stats or whatever extra. When they come flying in or change scenes you can definitely noticing the blocking.

And if you still can't see it, watch when the leave/come back for commercials. There is that ball that has all the extra stuff spinning around it. That just looks awful.

D* is sending the ESPNHD mpeg-2 feed at 1280x720. However if they don't send enough bandwidth for the channel it is going to look like it does now. It's no different than a local affiliate that is multicasting. We have 3 1080i stations that multicast is Memphis and their HD PQ is terrible. There are blocks everywhere when there is a medium amount of movement and a scene changes.

And, as stated many times in the past, I just about never see this 'blocking'.
I am not doubting, at all, that many people see this blocking. And, if people get 'blocking everywhere' (as mentioned) then, it seems to me, other things are not up to par in their system. Directv is only a piece of a big puzzle bringing us HD. All pieces of the puzzle must be working right and together to get a near-perfect picture. I am most pleased with my HD when the provider sends us excellent HD content and presents it correctly. Directv is only the carrier of this programming and, in my opinion, doing a very good job.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are the HBO and SHO channels added in the 500s MPEG4, as opposed to MPEG2 in the 70s?

The new SHO channels are MPEG4. The re-mapping of SHO HD East and HBO HD East on 537 and 501 are MPEG2.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:14 PM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What Jeremy said.

"I'm going to call them scallywags" - Ollie

Xbox Live: Stunt1on1