post #7021 of 15194 Old 01-08-2010, 02:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post

I was raised on the fresh stuff right out of the water and I STILL like Fillet-O-Fish!

Yeah, but you wouldn't confuse it for the fresh stuff right out of the water...

Some people actually eat those things because they thing ground and pressed fish bits fried in oil are somehow "healthy"... I mean, it's fish, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7022 of 15194 Old 01-09-2010, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post

I was raised on the fresh stuff right out of the water and I STILL like Fillet-O-Fish!

Good stuff!
post #7023 of 15194 Old 01-09-2010, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
price increase question:
so I think Im passed my 18month initial sign up contract, they claim that
since I added a new recvr (came in mail no truck roll) that Im also under contract
for an additional year.
My question is with the price increase announced today (at least I got the email about it today) is this sufficient to get out of my contract? The whole "adversely affecting me economically" ploy to get out.

thanks

If I could walk that way I wouldnt need cologne.
post #7024 of 15194 Old 01-09-2010, 11:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldor View Post

price increase question:
so I think Im passed my 18month initial sign up contract, they claim that
since I added a new recvr (came in mail no truck roll) that Im also under contract
for an additional year.
My question is with the price increase announced today (at least I got the email about it today) is this sufficient to get out of my contract? The whole "adversely affecting me economically" ploy to get out.

thanks

No.

The fine print in your contract covers both price increases and the requirement to occasionally upgrade your equipment as standards change.

Of course, I have to ask, if you just upgraded your receiver, why do you want to leave?
post #7025 of 15194 Old 01-09-2010, 12:52 PM

well I didnt just upgrade, it was a while ago I added the recvr unit.
I will be moving soon to a place that doesnt have a southerly view.
So wont be able to even get a signal. Their claim of me agreeing to
a contract extension by adding a revcr unit is the only thing
that supposedly requires the termination penalty should I cancel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

No.

The fine print in your contract covers both price increases and the requirement to occasionally upgrade your equipment as standards change.

Of course, I have to ask, if you just upgraded your receiver, why do you want to leave?

post #7026 of 15194 Old 01-09-2010, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldor View Post

well I didnt just upgrade, it was a while ago I added the recvr unit.
I will be moving soon to a place that doesnt have a southerly view.
So wont be able to even get a signal. Their claim of me agreeing to
a contract extension by adding a revcr unit is the only thing
that supposedly requires the termination penalty should I cancel.

They will move you for no cost.
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/movers

When they get to your place and can't get a signal, how can they justify keeping you subscribed to a service you can not receive?
post #7027 of 15194 Old 01-09-2010, 01:28 PM

the "free" move also extends your contract, but as to your second
part it would only make sense but then it doesnt make them
money...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVfan View Post

They will move you for no cost.
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/movers

When they get to your place and can't get a signal, how can they justify keeping you subscribed to a service you can not receive?

post #7028 of 15194 Old 01-09-2010, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Hi,I just rented Scarface in 1080P from Directv Cinema and the aspect ratio was in 1:78, as I recall the o.a.r is 2:35 scoped.I thought that all 1080p movies were going to be shown in their original format.Did Universal tweak with this downloaded version?

Samsung 60F8500
Panasonic 55GT30
Panasonic BDT310
PS3 (PS4 coming soon)
Sony STR-DG1000 AVR
Mirage Omnisat V2 7.1 set up with Energy S10 Sub
post #7029 of 15194 Old 01-10-2010, 10:10 AM

I'm not a big football guy, but watch the occasional college game or (yesterday) the NFL playoffs. The PQ from local football coverage seems pretty poor with macroblocking. This is not monitor related, as I've got both a Bravia LCD and a Fujitsu plasma in the house. Not a particular DVR, as I've got two different HR22s feeding the TVs in different rooms.

If I had to guess at a pattern, it would be that the problem primarily (solely?) exists on NBC (Notre Dame football and yesterday's NFL playoff game) and CBS (SEC football). For me, those two are D* locals in the SF Bay Area, KNTV (NBC) and KPIX (CBS). Is this a problem with retransmitting (re-encoding?) locals? Something related to KNTV and KPIX using 1080i rather than the 720p of ESPN and ABC? Something else entirely?

One other observation--the problem seems to appear not merely with fast motion, but with live fast motion. NBC was running some footage yesterday with fast pans on some promo footage. Didn't notice any breakup/blocking during that. It was with live footage.
post #7030 of 15194 Old 01-10-2010, 10:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Koegel View Post

I'm not a big football guy, but watch the occasional college game or (yesterday) the NFL playoffs. The PQ from local football coverage seems pretty poor with macroblocking. This is not monitor related, as I've got both a Bravia LCD and a Fujitsu plasma in the house. Not a particular DVR, as I've got two different HR22s feeding the TVs in different rooms.

If I had to guess at a pattern, it would be that the problem primarily (solely?) exists on NBC (Notre Dame football and yesterday's NFL playoff game) and CBS (SEC football). For me, those two are D* locals in the SF Bay Area, KNTV (NBC) and KPIX (CBS). Is this a problem with retransmitting (re-encoding?) locals? Something related to KNTV and KPIX using 1080i rather than the 720p of ESPN and ABC? Something else entirely?

If I'm not mistaken, there are very often negative comments about the quality of the SF affiliates due to multicasting and low bit rates on the HD channel. There's nothing D* can do to improve that.
post #7031 of 15194 Old 01-10-2010, 10:24 AM

Thanks for the info, NetworkTV.

KNTV (OTA 11) was definitely multicasting yesterday, as they were running top-of-the-screen crawls trying to entice you to go to 11.1 to watch Schwarzenneger's last "State of the State" speech and special coverage re the Eureka earthquake. Unfortunately, I don't have an OTA tuner or a Comcast feed to be able to test the theory that the problem originates with the local broadcast.
post #7032 of 15194 Old 01-10-2010, 02:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:

Thanks for the info, NetworkTV.

KNTV (OTA 11) was definitely multicasting yesterday, as they were running top-of-the-screen crawls trying to entice you to go to 11.1 to watch Schwarzenneger's last "State of the State" speech and special coverage re the Eureka earthquake. Unfortunately, I don't have an OTA tuner or a Comcast feed to be able to test the theory that the problem originates with the local broadcast.

Since I have my DirecTV account in suspension until April I can't comment on what you're seeing via DirecTV, but both of those stations look fine with Comcast. CBS(KPIX) does not run any subchannels so there's no bandwidth issue there, at least not on the station side. NBC(KNTV) has had some problems in the past, and they do run subchannels, but their picture quality has improved tremendously since they went to MPEG4 with their network distribution awhile back. By the way, KNTV has a fiber link to DirecTV, one of the few stations in the country that does, most all the rest are picked up OTA. My guess would be that what you're seeing may be the source material and/or what ever DirecTV is doing to the signal as they look fine with Comcast.
post #7033 of 15194 Old 01-10-2010, 02:31 PM

Thanks, Keenan. You are one of the keener (no pun intended)-eyed SF viewers--witness your ability to distinguish the faux-HD that KNTV was using on many Giants' broadcasts last season. And so I am certain you would have seen what I was seeing. And what I saw again this morning on the KPIX broadcast of the Ravens-Patriots. Will be interested to see if I pick it up on the KTVU Fox broadcast of the Green Bay-Arizona game this p.m.

Suspension from D*? What did you do, put some chewing gum underneath your D* desk?
post #7034 of 15194 Old 01-10-2010, 03:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thanks, Keenan. You are one of the keener (no pun intended)-eyed SF viewers--witness your ability to distinguish the faux-HD that KNTV was using on many Giants' broadcasts last season. And so I am certain you would have seen what I was seeing. And what I saw again this morning on the KPIX broadcast of the Ravens-Patriots. Will be interested to see if I pick it up on the KTVU Fox broadcast of the Green Bay-Arizona game this p.m.

Just watched some of the FOX game and it looks a bit soft, the closeups look good but the field shots look soft to me. Didn't really see any artifacting.

The BB game on CBS has some weird stuttering going on although I've seen this from CBS before on BB games, not sure what the deal is there, it happens only occasionally. No artifacting in the brief time I watched.
Quote:

Suspension from D*? What did you do, put some chewing gum underneath your D* desk?

When Comcast came out with all their great deals, I decided to call DirecTV to see if they do account suspensions as I remember doing it with Dish years ago and apparently they do. I asked about putting the account on hold for about 6 months and the rep said "no problem, summer home?" and I said, "uh yeah" So anyway, no monthly charges until April at which point they send me an email notifying me they are going to turn the service back on. Pretty sweet deal given April is when the baseball season starts and I'll get MLBEI from them since the Comcast equivalent is utter garbage. Dish would charge for the DVR, I think it was about $7 per month at the time, DirecTV isn't charging anything, in fact, I'm carrying a $1.91 credit on the monthly ebills they send me. I'm not under contract with DirecTV anymore, but I don't know whether that makes a difference or not. I suspect that most people are not even aware of the ability to suspend their account.
post #7035 of 15194 Old 01-10-2010, 04:47 PM

I've been watching the Fox game a bit, and I'm not noticing any artifacting at all. Flipped over to the Kansas-Tennessee on KPIX-CBS. It's definitely not anywhere near as noticeable as KNTV-NBC football, but I can still see it. It becomes most noticeable when one team misses a shot and the rebounding team starts a fast break. As the players are moving fast and the camera pans quickly to the opposite end, you can see digital noise/macroblocking/artifacting. The thing that is interesting to me is that you DON'T see artifacting on commercials even when they have fast movement/pans.

Problem is not anywhere near as bad as on the KNTV-NBC football broadcasts.

Interesting story on the suspension. MLB-EI was a major motivator for my switch from Comcast to D* early in 2009. Although I was also driven to switch based on the delays in expanding HD, annoyance with diminished PQ with three-packing, and hatred of the Motorola boxes and incompetent Comcast custom support/service. Not likely to switch back unless I decide I really need the high-speed internet boost over DSL.

Tom
post #7036 of 15194 Old 01-10-2010, 05:04 PM
EJ
AVS Special Member

I have been with D* since '95, but have had comcast for my internet since '05. With the same Doscis 1.1 modem I have watched speeds steadily go from 1Mbps to around 28-30 Mbps.

Former USSB uplink operator.
post #7037 of 15194 Old 01-10-2010, 05:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I've been watching the Fox game a bit, and I'm not noticing any artifacting at all. Flipped over to the Kansas-Tennessee on KPIX-CBS. It's definitely not anywhere near as noticeable as KNTV-NBC football, but I can still see it. It becomes most noticeable when one team misses a shot and the rebounding team starts a fast break. As the players are moving fast and the camera pans quickly to the opposite end, you can see digital noise/macroblocking/artifacting. The thing that is interesting to me is that you DON'T see artifacting on commercials even when they have fast movement/pans.

Problem is not anywhere near as bad as on the KNTV-NBC football broadcasts.

Interesting story on the suspension. MLB-EI was a major motivator for my switch from Comcast to D* early in 2009. Although I was also driven to switch based on the delays in expanding HD, annoyance with diminished PQ with three-packing, and hatred of the Motorola boxes and incompetent Comcast custom support/service. Not likely to switch back unless I decide I really need the high-speed internet boost over DSL.

Tom

Well, I really only looked briefly and didn't really see any problems other than that stuttering I mentioned, I haven't watched any commercials, been outside trying to make all these leaves disappear without doing much work.

I do know that CBS has had PQ issues with their basketball games in the past, could very well be happening still, I don't really watch BB on CBS until March.

If the issues persist, just about all of our local stations are fairly easy to contact, I've spoke personally with the engineer(s) of 3 of the big 4 with the exception of KTVU and they're all open to hearing about problems, in most cases anyway. Never had to deal with KTVU, but I think the engineer posts in the local Yahoo group.

(Packers/Cardinals game sure turned out to be a good one!)
post #7038 of 15194 Old 01-11-2010, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
A column wondering if Directv will really be expanding our list of HD channels w/ their new satellite:

Whole column here: http://www.tvpredictions.com/directvhd011010.htm

Do you think that DIRECTV carries enough HD networks?

There's increasing evidence that the satcaster does -- and it doesn't plan to do anything about it.

How can I say that, considering that DIRECTV just launched a new satellite to expand its HD capacity? Well, let's look at the facts:

DIRECTV, which has proclaimed itself the HD leader, has actually added just a handful of high-def networks during the last 18 months. Consequently, the satcaster's HD lineup is missing a slew of popular new HD networks such as MSNBC, AMC, WGN America, E!, The Travel Channel, Turner Classic Movies, Epix, IFC and multiplex offerings from HBO, Starz, Cinemax and Showtime.

....I have also suggested that the satcaster will not add more than about 15 new HD networks this year.

But now I am wondering if DIRECTV will add even fewer than that, perhaps as few as five HD networks this year. With that approach, they can save money by paying the networks less in carriage fees. Instead, it can use the majority of the HD capacity on the new satellite for 3-D and PPV.

As a DIRECTV subscriber, I hope that's wrong. But, folks, it's not looking good.
post #7039 of 15194 Old 01-11-2010, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULSTORM View Post

A column wondering if Directv will really be expanding our list of HD channels w/ their new satellite:

Whole column here: http://www.tvpredictions.com/directvhd011010.htm

Swanni is an *****.

post #7040 of 15194 Old 01-11-2010, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post

Swanni is an *****.

Here Here!

If 3 3-d channels takes up ~150 or so HD channels, I would say launching a new sat isn't worth it. However, considering the new commercials pretty much say they will add new HD channels, I kinda expect they would. They might not all come on-line within a month, but I think 5 would be easily attainable.

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

My Samsung 55" D8000 LED-3D tv settings.
post #7041 of 15194 Old 01-11-2010, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULSTORM View Post

DIRECTV, which has proclaimed itself the HD leader, has actually added just a handful of high-def networks during the last 18 months.

Yes, and then they launched a new satellite, presumably just because they could. Or, they added a small number of HD channels because they only had a small amount of space left, and then they launched a new satellite to give them more space to add more HD channels.

This guy is a #####, always has been. I don't know why people keep posting his articles and giving him exposure.
post #7042 of 15194 Old 01-11-2010, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
You know I don't buy into everything Swanni sez but you have to wonder about his theory on this...Let's admit Directv has been slow in adding or not adding more HD channels....especially in light of this tidbit in the linked article:

....That should give hope to DIRECTV's HD viewers that more HD networks are coming, right? Well, listen to a recent statement from DIRECTV CFO Patrick Doyle, as reported this week by Multichannel News:

“HD has been really good to us for the last few years,” Doyle said, according to the publication. “We think there is a little bit less in the tank there, but we also are continuously looking at how we can be different than our competitors.”

Multichannel News writes that Doyle "agreed that (DIRECTV's HD) offering may be reaching the saturation point."
post #7043 of 15194 Old 01-11-2010, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I'm just saying...even though we didn't get more national HD channels, I got a few more locals in HD in the past few months.

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

My Samsung 55" D8000 LED-3D tv settings.
post #7044 of 15194 Old 01-11-2010, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post

Swanni is an *****.

Why is this guy (Swanni) even speculating? We'll just have to wait and see.
post #7045 of 15194 Old 01-11-2010, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Also in the SF bay area here, I have to say that NFL football this year has not looked as good as last year, particurlarly on NBC (KNTV-11) and CBS (KPIX-5) both have macroblocking, worse at times than other times.
post #7046 of 15194 Old 01-11-2010, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Fox is definitely soft. KTVU has a sub-channel and if this Mobile DTV thing ever takes off, we'll be awash in them.

Some of the best looking HD is Showtime but I dropped them until some of their better shows come back later in the year.
post #7047 of 15194 Old 01-11-2010, 05:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

Fox is definitely soft. KTVU has a sub-channel and if this Mobile DTV thing ever takes off, we'll be awash in them.

Some of the best looking HD is Showtime but I dropped them until some of their better shows come back later in the year.

But is it cutting into the standard bitrate thats fed through the splicer system? I haven't looked at the breakdown by bitrate of the multicasting channels in the bay area lately, but unless KTVU's sub-channel is cutting into the rate sent from the network it shouldn't have any effect.
post #7048 of 15194 Old 01-11-2010, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove View Post

Why is this guy (Swanni) even speculating?

It generates page views, which generate advertising revenue for Swanni. That's why I don't like it when people post his articles, it's just furthering his cause.
post #7049 of 15194 Old 01-12-2010, 02:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Name calling edited. Let's keep it on topic and drop the personal comments.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #7050 of 15194 Old 01-12-2010, 02:30 PM

I'm considering switching to satellite. Are the any advantages to ordering from a local retailer or an online retailer over ordering from DirecTv directly?
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page