DirecTV HDTV - Page 238 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 16Likes

post #7111 of 14950 Old 01-21-2010, 07:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a powerline ethernet connection to my HR20-700, and it works fine. I find , however , that there are no closed captions or subtitles available on movies downloaded from D*. So of what other use is the ethernet connection? Should I just get rid of it?

Alan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7112 of 14950 Old 01-21-2010, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom878 View Post

Yeah I said screw D*'s weak On Demand and bought a budget BD player for $120 with Netflix streamed wirelessly and no bridge required. If I wanted D*'s, I'd have to buy a bridge or powerline adapter (old wiring so might not be good).

Will MRV work wirelessly? I'd have to get other D* receivers that support network connections and buy a bridge for each one including my main HD-DVR? I have 2 basic boxes in other rooms.

D*'s MRV works over the coax to the box, not ethernet. I believe it is akin to MOCA.

carry on with your HD-Lite Directv loving banter! <--Comedy Gold

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7113 of 14950 Old 01-21-2010, 07:39 AM
rad
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovswr View Post

D*'s MRV works over the coax to the box, not ethernet. I believe it is akin to MOCA.

That is an option, but if you have a wired ethernet connection between the boxes that will work also. The difference is that if you get the DECA (MOCA) solution from DirecTV to interconnect the boxes and if you have any problems with MRV DirecTV will support it. If you use your own network connection (wired, wireless or powerline) and have a MRV problem you're on your own, DirecTV won't provide support.
post #7114 of 14950 Old 01-21-2010, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Personally, I think it was a massive mistake for D* to start their own streaming "On Demand" service rather than ink a contract with Netflix to use theirs.

While it would obviously require the user to have a Netflix subscription, I have to wonder A) what the rate of convergence is between people who have both D* and Netflix and B) whether they would be seeing more people using it the way it is verses encouraging Netflix subscribers to view the streaming content via the D* box. To go a step further, allowing people a few hours of free streaming each month might encourage them to subscribe to Netflix to get more.

With the increasing number of STB's offering Netflix streaming, I think we're going to see an explosion in the amount of content that will be available through it - most notably TV episodes. Plus, since the D* boxes encrypt the content to keep it on the box, it would be reasonable to actually download the first few items in your watch now queue to avoid having to stream them live. The net result? Potential better quality on even slower connections and a truly instant viewing experience with the ability to watch something multiple times or skip to specific sections of the content without buffering.

Personally, I've used Netflix streaming through my BD player on multiple occasions. I've only used on demand through D* twice - and it was a lackluster experience on both occasions.

That wouldn't work. Directv's On Demand has stuff that Netflix doesn't have. I wonder if content providers are holding back because Directv uses the internet to distribute the content. As for the networks I'm guessing Directv would need to make a deal with each affiliate to do that.
post #7115 of 14950 Old 01-21-2010, 08:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvthunder View Post

That wouldn't work. Directv's On Demand has stuff that Netflix doesn't have. I wonder if content providers are holding back because Directv uses the internet to distribute the content. As for the networks I'm guessing Directv would need to make a deal with each affiliate to do that.

...and Netflix has content D* doesn't have. Lots more - and it's growing. Plus, Netflix's interface and streaming method works quicker and much more efficiently than D*'s.

Besides, if D* can team up with NBC to keep a TV show alive, certainly D*, the networks and Netflix could work together to improve the level of content to include (even if only for a limited time) shows from the networks the way the Comcast model does.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7116 of 14950 Old 01-21-2010, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...and Netflix has content D* doesn't have. Lots more - and it's growing. Plus, Netflix's interface and streaming method works quicker and much more efficiently than D*'s.

Besides, if D* can team up with NBC to keep a TV show alive, certainly D*, the networks and Netflix could work together to improve the level of content to include (even if only for a limited time) shows from the networks the way the Comcast model does.

The difference is Netflix and Directv are both content delivery companies while NBC isn't.
post #7117 of 14950 Old 01-21-2010, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I would think a lot of people would use Netflix as a replacement for D*, as its prices get out of hand.

Netflix streaming has no mainstream movies of any note. And TV shows are from already-released box sets if I'm not mistaken so you're about a year behind on most shows.

A lot of HBO and Showtime shows are only available in SD when I checked Netflix streaming.

Seriously, I don't get the hype about it. They've obviously cut a lot of deals with hardware manufacturers and they say it's their future. But studios aren't going to give away their content for an all-you-can-eat $9/month plan. That would undercut DVD sales, DVD rentals, PPV, etc.
post #7118 of 14950 Old 01-21-2010, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

Seriously, I don't get the hype about it. They've obviously cut a lot of deals with hardware manufacturers and they say it's their future. But studios aren't going to give away their content for an all-you-can-eat $9/month plan. That would undercut DVD sales, DVD rentals, PPV, etc.

Netflix made a deal with Warner Brothers around CES that they would delay disk shipments for a month in exchange for more content to stream.
post #7119 of 14950 Old 01-21-2010, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvthunder View Post

Netflix made a deal with Warner Brothers around CES that they would delay disk shipments for a month in exchange for more content to stream.

Exactly, and who is to say that streaming of that content won't come even later than the 30 day delay for discs?

Streaming is not the solution for everyone. If you are in a city, or location that can get hi-speed internet it is an option, however many people (myself included) live in areas where high speed internet is not readily available. The only real options are satellite internet or cellular internet service, both of which are not suitable for content streaming.

I'm waiting to see what DirecTV has up it's sleeve for D12. They are supposedly launching some kind of new rental service like Netflix. Hopefully it uses downstreams from the satellite to distribute the content instead of the internet. If it doesn't then I will not be interested.
post #7120 of 14950 Old 01-21-2010, 10:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerstalker View Post

Exactly, and who is to say that streaming of that content won't come even later than the 30 day delay for discs?

On Demand content for movies is very often available well after the home video release. So, any delay Netflix has won't matter. This isn't PPV.

Quote:

Streaming is not the solution for everyone. If you are in a city, or location that can get hi-speed internet it is an option, however many people (myself included) live in areas where high speed internet is not readily available. The only real options are satellite internet or cellular internet service, both of which are not suitable for content streaming.

If you don't have broadband access, you can't use D*'s on demand product either, so that argument is moot. Also, Netflix's streaming requires less bandwidth, and the quality is variable based on the connection speed, so it can be used even on slower broadband connections.

Quote:

I'm waiting to see what DirecTV has up it's sleeve for D12. They are supposedly launching some kind of new rental service like Netflix. Hopefully it uses downstreams from the satellite to distribute the content instead of the internet. If it doesn't then I will not be interested.

I'm predicting you won't be interested.

post #7121 of 14950 Old 01-21-2010, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

On Demand content for movies is very often available well after the home video release. So, any delay Netflix has won't matter. This isn't PPV.

I think you misunderstood my point. I was trying to say that just because WB signed this thing with Netflix allowing them to stream more content, don't expect all that content to be brand new stuff available right away. If they can't even send you a disc of a new movie until after 30 days, who is to say they may not be able to stream that movie until 90 days after home video release? I haven't seen anything said about how long until new items can be streamed under the new agreement.

Quote:

If you don't have broadband access, you can't use D*'s on demand product either, so that argument is moot. Also, Netflix's streaming requires less bandwidth, and the quality is variable based on the connection speed, so it can be used even on slower broadband connections.

I know I can't use D*s on demand. I'm just saying that there are many people who can't use on demand at all, whether it's from Netflix, D*, Amazon, etc. I'm saying physical discs, and PPV channels are going to be around for quite a while because that is the only way many people can get new movies. I'm also trying to say that many of us can't just drop D* and go to OTA/streaming to get everything we want.

Quote:

I'm predicting you won't be interested.

I'm not so sure yet. Why else would they be holding this new feature off until after D12 is live unless they need it's bandwidth for something.
post #7122 of 14950 Old 01-21-2010, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

When I had Comcast half the time VOD didn't work, I got a "tubes full" error... so there's that too.
post #7123 of 14950 Old 01-21-2010, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post

I have a powerline ethernet connection to my HR20-700, and it works fine. I find , however , that there are no closed captions or subtitles available on movies downloaded from D*. So of what other use is the ethernet connection? Should I just get rid of it?

It used to be that way but I get lots of movies on VOD with caps. I really need them too.
post #7124 of 14950 Old 01-21-2010, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

So are the firmware updates spotbeamed or something? I tried to force the new update(02468 method) and it wasnt there.

100% Digital household since 2001
post #7125 of 14950 Old 01-21-2010, 07:24 PM

D* screwing up badly on their TNT NBA HD LA/Cleveland matchup Thursday 1/21 ...freeze frames everywhere - and a "Experiencing Technical Difficulties" slide to boot
post #7126 of 14950 Old 01-21-2010, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3trojan View Post

So are the firmware updates spotbeamed or something? I tried to force the new update(02468 method) and it wasnt there.

They're not spot beamed, but the usual rollout schedule has them authorized on a regional basis. That just means that they haven't authorized your region yet.
post #7127 of 14950 Old 01-22-2010, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I just started checking out the new NR yesterday and so far so good. Opted in on MRV with 4 DCRs, one of them locked up and required a reset but after the reboot it was authorized. Smart search and the additional movie info are very nice too.
post #7128 of 14950 Old 01-22-2010, 09:22 AM

So I went ahead and activated the Multi Room options last night. I was for the most part very impressed with how seamless and easy it was. Pretty cool to have 4 things (i only have 2 hd dvrs ) recording at once and be able to watch any of them in my living room.

Was cool to be able to record 6-7 hour blocks of the Australian open on my lesser used DVR in my den and still watch it out in my living room (which is much closer to maxed out in storage space.)

For the most part I had no problems watching things in one room that were recorded in another. I did, at times, see sound hiccups and stuttering in the play of the program. This tended to happen with the Australian open. My theory is that its a program that takes up the most space and so my network (living room is wireless hookup) may just not be fast enough for perfect playback.

Either that or its just a hiccup in the beta.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my experience with the new MRV option. Pretty cool all and all.
post #7129 of 14950 Old 01-22-2010, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I sometimes record up to 4 programs at once. But most of the time, at least a couple of those programs are the same thing.

With MRV, I wouldn't need to duplicate recordings on the different DVRs.

But to pay extra for this convenience by paying a monthly fee? No way.

And the expense of networking the DVRs? Not a chance.
post #7130 of 14950 Old 01-22-2010, 11:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbar View Post

So I went ahead and activated the Multi Room options last night. I was for the most part very impressed with how seamless and easy it was. Pretty cool to have 4 things (i only have 2 hd dvrs ) recording at once and be able to watch any of them in my living room.

Was cool to be able to record 6-7 hour blocks of the Australian open on my lesser used DVR in my den and still watch it out in my living room (which is much closer to maxed out in storage space.)

For the most part I had no problems watching things in one room that were recorded in another. I did, at times, see sound hiccups and stuttering in the play of the program. This tended to happen with the Australian open. My theory is that its a program that takes up the most space and so my network (living room is wireless hookup) may just not be fast enough for perfect playback.

Either that or its just a hiccup in the beta.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my experience with the new MRV option. Pretty cool all and all.

do u have instructions, how to?
post #7131 of 14950 Old 01-22-2010, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

Instructions in this dbstalk pdf file:

http://hr20.dbstalk.com/docs/MRV%20First%20Look.pdf

post #7132 of 14950 Old 01-22-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

Is this what you mean?

http://hr20.dbstalk.com/docs/MRV%20First%20Look.pdf
post #7133 of 14950 Old 01-26-2010, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I got the new update with the advanced search this morning.

Jacob
post #7134 of 14950 Old 01-26-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:

I tried Netflix streaming to my Samsung Blu-Ray player for a week then cancelled it. I thought the picture quality was poor and after much searching (no info on Netflix website) found out from these forums that the movies streamed from Netflix are not HD quality. They are "near DVD" quality, not even 480p. HD Movies downloaded from DirecTV on Demand are either 1080i or 1080p. Even though the service is more expensive than Netflix, if I am going to sit through a 2 hour movie, I want the picture quality to be as good as possible.
post #7135 of 14950 Old 01-26-2010, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdharris View Post

I tried Netflix streaming to my Samsung Blu-Ray player for a week then cancelled it. I thought the picture quality was poor and after much searching (no info on Netflix website) found out from these forums that the movies streamed from Netflix are not HD quality. They are "near DVD" quality, not even 480p. HD Movies downloaded from DirecTV on Demand are either 1080i or 1080p. Even though the service is more expensive than Netflix, if I am going to sit through a 2 hour movie, I want the picture quality to be as good as possible.

It's hit or miss with Netflix on if it's HD or not.
post #7136 of 14950 Old 01-26-2010, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Hmmm. I have watched a few movies in 720p on my PS3 from Netflix Streaming and I would say they were way better than DVD in PQ. But I agree, their non HD titles are pretty ugly.

GO CHIEFS, WILDCATS, SUNS, DIAMONDBACKS, COYOTES, RATTLERS, AND LUMBERJACKS!
"Asking if an HDTV is too big, is like me asking you if the diamond on your wedding ring is too big." -- My dad's response to my mom's question about my 65" HDTV.
post #7137 of 14950 Old 01-26-2010, 02:58 PM

I also have a newly purchased Samsung Blu Ray, what's the freebie Blockbuster look like for quality?
post #7138 of 14950 Old 01-26-2010, 04:31 PM

Netflix now lists HD as a "genre" filter choice on the instant streaming page. I too long for more HD content, as the non-HD is nearly unwatchable for me. I bet they're working on it.
post #7139 of 14950 Old 01-27-2010, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULSTORM View Post

I also have a newly purchased Samsung Blu Ray, what's the freebie Blockbuster look like for quality?

I haven't tried the Blockbuster yet, but don't know that I will bother. What I now realize is that any streaming content is going to be limited by your bandwidth. Most of us do not have internet download speeds capable of streaming HD quality video without jumps, skips, etc. 1080p movies I receive from DirecTV take several hours to download. Does Netflix or Blockbuster have a way to download HD movies to memory so that they can be watched later, in full HD?
post #7140 of 14950 Old 01-27-2010, 07:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I haven't tried the Blockbuster yet, but don't know that I will bother. What I now realize is that any streaming content is going to be limited by your bandwidth. Most of us do not have internet download speeds capable of streaming HD quality video without jumps, skips, etc. 1080p movies I receive from DirecTV take several hours to download.

I have the slowest speed DSL plan AT&T offers here and I never get jumps or skips when I watch though my BD player - even if I'm surfing on my computer at the same time.

Netflix also streams the content, unlike D* where you download it to your box. You don't have to wait more than a minute to start watching.

Quote:

Does Netflix or Blockbuster have a way to download HD movies to memory so that they can be watched later, in full HD?

No.

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page