Forum Jump: 
 26Likes

post #12391 of 15157 Old 02-26-2012, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If I try to record a pay Per view show, does the show get added to my monthly bill automatically? I've scheduled it but saw no billing or cost info??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12392 of 15157 Old 02-26-2012, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotkey View Post

If I try to record a pay Per view show, does the show get added to my monthly bill automatically? I've scheduled it but saw no billing or cost info??

You only get billed when you actually watch it, and there will be a confirmation before that happens. It's important to note, however, that PPV content will expire and be deleted off your DVR after a certain date which will be listed. It can also only be viewed for 24 hours after purchase.
post #12393 of 15157 Old 02-26-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Wouldn't MLB TV be comparable to that? They have every out of market game for $125/yr. You can watch that live in HD on just about any device, and switch to the sat/cable provider that has all the other content you want. If you don't have a compatible streaming device, just get an $80 Roku.

Just a thought.

Does the more expensive extra innings on D* include the online streaming or iPad/iPhone app subscription? Or since I have an apple tv should I just get the MLB.tv subscription?

Audio Engineer
------------------------
The Conservatory of Recording Arts and Sciences
post #12394 of 15157 Old 02-26-2012, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

Thanks I'll give it a try when i get home but I think that's what it's on.

So my tv's pic mode was set to Fit to Screen or something like that. Switched to 16x9 and it's gone. Still don't like not being able to see the whole picture but better than having that crap at the top. Thanks for the help!
post #12395 of 15157 Old 02-26-2012, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald V View Post

Does the more expensive extra innings on D* include the online streaming or iPad/iPhone app subscription? Or since I have an apple tv should I just get the MLB.tv subscription?

No it doesn't include the online version of the package (mlb.tv). The NBA really has it down right, whereas you buy League Pass and included with the price is the online version (which is available to smartphones & certain tablets). I will say though, having mlb.tv streamed to the PS3 to my 40" Sony Bravia HDTV is quite good enough for me. While it isn't quite true HD, it's pretty darn near close and IMHO, worth the $50+ in savings. On top of that, I can force my Android phone to think it's in a different location so I can avoid the local team blackouts, and National TV blackouts (for Fox Saturday Baseball or ESPN Sunday Night Baseball).

And the FOUL!
post #12396 of 15157 Old 02-27-2012, 01:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So my tv's pic mode was set to Fit to Screen or something like that. Switched to 16x9 and it's gone. Still don't like not being able to see the whole picture but better than having that crap at the top. Thanks for the help!

Just remember, you're not actually supposed to see the "whole picture."
post #12397 of 15157 Old 02-27-2012, 02:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Tom Wellman: They did delay it. Apparently, it was supposed to come by the end of 2011. It's just speculation though.

Tru TV does have HD programming though and anything they do stretch, looks a lot better than others who stretch.

Blue Tiger: Sateliteracer is a poster who is believed to work for Direct TV. No one knows their true identity.

I have been watching Tru TV HD since Brighthouse got it for March Madness. I never really watched it since it was not in my HD section and found some shows I liked.

BHN has a good HD lineup. DTV just seems more limited on space although HD national channels are their weakness right now.

While I prefer BHN's lineup, I would swap a few of those channels for NFL Network.
post #12398 of 15157 Old 02-27-2012, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDOrlando View Post

Tom Wellman: They did delay it. Apparently, it was supposed to come by the end of 2011. It's just speculation though.

It was delayed due the Padres ownership transfer of the remaining 51% share from John Moores to Jeff Moorad. FSN has proposed to the Padres, an escalating 20 year tv contact in which the first year gives the team around $30 million and tops out around $65 million to $70 million in it's final year. What has MLB so concerned is that FSN is giving Moorad a $200 million upfront bonus to pay off Moores to buy out the final 51% of the team. MLB wants that money going into payroll, etc and not buy out the team with that $200 million.

And the FOUL!
post #12399 of 15157 Old 02-27-2012, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy W View Post

Just remember, you're not actually supposed to see the "whole picture."

Wtf? Not supposed to?
post #12400 of 15157 Old 02-27-2012, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wellman View Post

It was delayed due the Padres ownership transfer of the remaining 51% share from John Moores to Jeff Moorad. FSN has proposed to the Padres, an escalating 20 year tv contact in which the first year gives the team around $30 million and tops out around $65 million to $70 million in it's final year. What has MLB so concerned is that FSN is giving Moorad a $200 million upfront bonus to pay off Moores to buy out the final 51% of the team. MLB wants that money going into payroll, etc and not buy out the team with that $200 million.

I meant Tru TV HD.
post #12401 of 15157 Old 02-27-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDOrlando View Post

Blue Tiger: Sateliteracer is a poster who is believed to work for Direct TV. No one knows their true identity.

BHN has a good HD lineup. DTV just seems more limited on space although HD national channels are their weakness right now.

If DirecTV wasn't limited on space, it would be questionable whether they'd still get their act together. They're not so limited on space that DirecTV was incapable of adding high def channels the last couple years!

They don't know programming. They don't have good people running operations @ DirecTV.

I hope Bright House subscribers have strong picture quality for their HD programming. If they do, that means Bright House makes for a better choice than DirecTV. And that the only reason, when comparing the two, for anyone to choose DirecTV is for their No. 1 attraction: NFL Sunday Ticket.

Thank you, HDOrlando!
post #12402 of 15157 Old 02-27-2012, 12:28 PM
EJ
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTiger View Post

If DirecTV wasn't limited on space, it would be questionable whether they'd still get their act together. They're not so limited on space that DirecTV was incapable of adding high def channels the last couple years!

They don't know programming. They don't have good people running operations @ DirecTV.

I hope Bright House subscribers have strong picture quality for their HD programming. If they do, that means Bright House makes for a better choice than DirecTV. And that the only reason, when comparing the two, for anyone to choose DirecTV is for their No. 1 attraction: NFL Sunday Ticket.

Thank you, HDOrlando!

To say Directv doesn't know programming is incorrect. The balancing act of bandwidth, channel contracts, and customer pricing isn't simple and will always leave some unhappy. (Including me at times.)

The fact that revenue and households seem to rise in nearly every quarter, shows they're doing some things right.

Former USSB uplink operator.
post #12403 of 15157 Old 02-27-2012, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wtf? Not supposed to?

Correct. All HD channels assume a certain amount of overscan, and design their on-screen elements accordingly.
post #12404 of 15157 Old 02-27-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post

To say Directv doesn't know programming is incorrect. The balancing act of bandwidth, channel contracts, and customer pricing isn't simple and will always leave some unhappy. (Including me at times.)

I wish I was wrong. But it's been going on for too long that competitors have come through with basic cable HD that make for a long list.
post #12405 of 15157 Old 02-28-2012, 01:14 AM
EJ
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wish I was wrong. But it's been going on for too long that competitors have come through with basic cable HD that make for a long list.

Just out of curiosity, what basic HD networks would you like? The only 2 left on my list are...

E! - Simply for The Soup.

TCM - Even if most films are not HD yet, it still gives a better image.

Former USSB uplink operator.
post #12406 of 15157 Old 02-28-2012, 02:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post

Have you noticed a lot of the HD channels look really soft lately? Almost like they raised the compression to so they could add more channels? A lot looks great but Sony, MGM, UHD, etc don't seem to jump like they used to.

bob

Some of them are averaging 3 to 4 mbps for a couple of years now. Both Dish and Directv.
post #12407 of 15157 Old 02-28-2012, 04:15 AM
AVS Special Member

DTV hears the drum beating. I think they will add several HD channels this year but it is nice to get HD every few months like I do.

People say DTV has better PQ but some cannot notice a difference.

As you guys beat that drum, more HD will come but you'll have to keep it up.
post #12408 of 15157 Old 02-28-2012, 06:27 AM

Is there a reason my DirecTV only broadcasts in 1080i? I have a new Panny GT30 that can handle 1080p but for some reason i only get 1080i as the max resolution. FWIW I have the DirectTV box connected to my AVR (Yamaha rx-v667) not sure if having it connected to my AVR is the reason i only get 1080i. Also, the direcTV converter box is the newest version they have.
post #12409 of 15157 Old 02-28-2012, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlk2106 View Post

Is there a reason my DirecTV only broadcasts in 1080i? I have a new Panny GT30 that can handle 1080p but for some reason i only get 1080i as the max resolution. FWIW I have the DirectTV box connected to my AVR (Yamaha rx-v667) not sure if having it connected to my AVR is the reason i only get 1080i. Also, the direcTV converter box is the newest version they have.

It's not Direct, nobody broadcasts in 1080P. You can have 1080P on the PPV, though.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #12410 of 15157 Old 02-28-2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlk2106 View Post

I get plenty of channels on 720p. 1080p is only through the ppv movies
post #12411 of 15157 Old 02-28-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post

Just out of curiosity, what basic HD networks would you like? The only 2 left on my list are...

E! - Simply for The Soup.

TCM - Even if most films are not HD yet, it still gives a better image.

I want everything that's available in high definition to be in HD. truTV was mentioned as coming in HD. Or rumored. Likely. But that is not enough.
  • Everything from Discovery: Investigation Discovery, BBC America, The Hub, Oprah Winfrey Network.
  • Nat Geo Wild should be in high definition.
  • Add basic movies in HD: Turner Classic Movies and Fox Movie Channel.
  • News channels Headline News and Bloomberg Television, too. Not as strongly ranking with me, but also C-Span and C-Span 2.
  • The ones connected to Comcast: E!, Style, Oxygen, TV One, Sprout. If it were possible to bring in CS Philadelphia - that one as well.
  • While on sports, Outdoor Sports and Sportsman Channel should be added.
  • GSN, which is part owned by DirecTV.
  • H2, especially after the change in History Channel, and then you can add Lifetime Movie Network partly because both are owned by A&E but for covering ground with women. So, LMN as well.
  • TV Land, now that it is in HD, for original programming (even though I don't know if reruns of such shows from less than 20 years ago, like "Everybody Loves Raymond," get shown in HD). Enough original programming on there in HD.
  • Channels connected with AMC should be in HD: Fuse, IFC, and We.
  • The home shopping stuff, particularly QVC and HSN, as well.
  • Galavision stands out with the foreign programming. RFD, for public interest.
  • TV Guide Network, Reelz Channel, and Ovation should be in HD.

There are others, not on the list, that are worth adding:
  • Ion TV, a national east coast feed.
  • Fearnet and G4, which used to be on DirecTV, are owned by Comcast.
  • Nuvo TV, which was called Si TV, recently launched in HD.
  • Epix, which has three screens, but is more considered a premium movie channel.

In order to make room for about 20 of those on the list, I guess DirecTV could make it possible by eliminating a lot of pay per views screens. Also do that with all west coast feeds. Move to On Demand or get rid of altogether both Shorts HD and The Audience Network.
post #12412 of 15157 Old 02-28-2012, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylon View Post

Some of them are averaging 3 to 4 mbps for a couple of years now. Both Dish and Directv.

There is no HD channel averaging 3-4 mbps on DirecTV. Where are you getting this ridiculous information from?
post #12413 of 15157 Old 02-28-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:

I want everything that's available in high definition to be in HD. truTV was mentioned as coming in HD. Or rumored. Likely. But that is not enough.
[*]Everything from Discovery: Investigation Discovery, BBC America, The Hub, Oprah Winfrey Network.
[*]Nat Geo Wild should be in high definition.
[*]Add basic movies in HD: Turner Classic Movies and Fox Movie Channel.
[*]News channels Headline News and Bloomberg Television, too. Not as strongly ranking with me, but also C-Span and C-Span 2.
[*]The ones connected to Comcast: E!, Style, Oxygen, TV One, Sprout. If it were possible to bring in CS Philadelphia - that one as well.
[*]While on sports, Outdoor Sports and Sportsman Channel should be added.
[*]GSN, which is part owned by DirecTV.
[*]H2, especially after the change in History Channel, and then you can add Lifetime Movie Network partly because both are owned by A&E but for covering ground with women. So, LMN as well.
[*]TV Land, now that it is in HD, for original programming (even though I don't know if reruns of such shows from less than 20 years ago, like "Everybody Loves Raymond," get shown in HD). Enough original programming on there in HD.
[*]Channels connected with AMC should be in HD: Fuse, IFC, and We.
[*]The home shopping stuff, particularly QVC and HSN, as well.
[*]Galavision stands out with the foreign programming. RFD, for public interest.
[*]TV Guide Network, Reelz Channel, and Ovation should be in HD.

There are others, not on the list, that are worth adding:
[*]Ion TV, a national east coast feed.[*]Fearnet and G4, which used to be on DirecTV, are owned by Comcast.
[*]Nuvo TV, which was called Si TV, recently launched in HD.
[*]Epix, which has three screens, but is more considered a premium movie channel.

In order to make room for about 20 of those on the list, I guess DirecTV could make it possible by eliminating a lot of pay per views screens. Also do that with all west coast feeds. Move to On Demand or get rid of altogether both Shorts HD and The Audience Network.

I have a better idea than DirecTV adding some of those worthless channels. Switch providers.
post #12414 of 15157 Old 02-28-2012, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
As long as the channel owners try to charge more for the HD versions of their channels no provider is going to carry them all, there just isn't enough demand for some of them.

For example OWN. I would be willing to bet that the majority of the people who watch OWN don't care if the channel is in HD or not, they just want to watch the programming. My wife doesn't care whether or not anything is in HD, most of the time she doesn't even notice if it is one way or another. She just looks for the movies/shows that she want to see and watches them. She can tell the difference between HD and SD but doesn't care about it. My parents are even worse, they have Comcast so they have to go to a different channel in order to watch HD. They just watch the SD channels instead because they remember the channel numbers and can't be bothered to go up to the 900s to see if the show/channel is available in HD or not. The new software which pops up a thing at the bottom and tells you the show is available in HD helps some, and my dad has started using it, but my mom just ignores it and watches everything in SD. She doesn't even use the on screen guide, she still uses the TV guide included with their newspaper every week.

As far as I know there isn't a single provider out there that offers every single SD channel available, so I don't know why people are suprised that none of them offer every HD channel.

Now that all said, do I wish DirecTV would add more, of course. But I don't get mad about it, and haven't really even considered leaving over it. The offer the vast majority of what I want to watch in HD, and their hardware and optional equipment is way better than any of their competition in my opinion (whole home DVR, nomad, etc.).
post #12415 of 15157 Old 02-28-2012, 09:27 AM
rad
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

DirecTV can come through with at least 25 HD channels that are basic cable programmers I had mentioned earlier (after having been asked what I'm wanting).

Here's the link to the transponder mapping for the HD satellites, http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.ph...53#post2366653 .

Keeping in mind that DIRECTV likes to keep to a max of 5 channels per transponder to keep picture quality high, and that a number of the HD PPV channels also double as channels used for sports subscription packages, please map out where you'd fit in 25 new HD channels?
post #12416 of 15157 Old 02-28-2012, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

3. Get rid of Audience Network.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad View Post

That's only one channel and if you got rid of it then you'd have some folks b*tching that where did the channel go, they like it.

That "some folks" would be me.

I never watch any of the 25 channels previously mentioned, but watch the Audience Network quite a bit (damages, the slap, the shadow line, the dan patrick show, etc.). It's easily in my top 10 most watched channels.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #12417 of 15157 Old 02-28-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

I never watch any of the 25 channels previously mentioned, but watch the Audience Network quite a bit (damages, the slap, the shadow line, the dan patrick show, etc.). It's easily in my top 10 most watched channels.

The whole situation goes beyond any mentions of what channels one likes to watch.
post #12418 of 15157 Old 02-28-2012, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

+1. Last season of Damages was one the best shows I have ever watched. I also watched the whole "The Wire" and other stuff. Audience is great.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #12419 of 15157 Old 02-28-2012, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Yeah, have to chime in on Audience. Most channels I literally never watch. Some channels have a few shows I watch. No channel has a significant proportion of shows I watch.

Audience is simply one of those channels that have a few things I watch, which makes it as useful as any channel I watch. They're trying to ruin it for me, but then they come up with Shadowline, so maybe not - just like always, a few shows I watch.

Dropping AN would be like dropping TNT or FX to me - they each have a few useful shows.

Funny - I got a survey thing from them. Confidentiality agreed to, so I guess I have to honor that, but it concerned several prospective ideas, and a bunch of questions on how you'd feel about each (and about DTV for having it.) Not one word about HD, but I managed to get some comments in that I'd be more interested in such and such if the PQ was there.

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
post #12420 of 15157 Old 02-28-2012, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Alright, I'm done with the multi-quote bickering.
Unnecessary posts removed, warnings issued. If you didn't get one, then it's not you.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page