post #14791 of 14812 Old 06-27-2014, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Just so I understand what you are saying regarding the skip ahead/back, when the DVR is set to use the 30SKIP vs the default 30SLIP does the HR34/44 operate similarly to the HR24? IOW, is Alan P talking about behavior when in default mode?

I ask as I'm considering upgrading to the Genie as well and was wondering about the comparative performance of the my current HR24 vs the Genie model.

Thanks
I've used "30SKIP" and "30SLIP" on the Genie (and my HR22), I don't like using either method...I prefer to FF through commercials. This is where the Genie (as well as the HR22) falls short, IMO. The Tivo is so much better at showing the video during the FF and also much better at "jumping back" after the FF.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14792 of 14812 Old 06-28-2014, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
I've used "30SKIP" and "30SLIP" on the Genie (and my HR22), I don't like using either method...I prefer to FF through commercials. This is where the Genie (as well as the HR22) falls short, IMO. The Tivo is so much better at showing the video during the FF and also much better at "jumping back" after the FF.
This is obviously personal preference, but I skip past commercials precisely because I don't want to see them at all and want to get past them as soon as possible and on to the show I'm actually trying to watch. With those criteria in mind, 30SKIP works just as I want it to.

My System Diagram: Here System Pix: Here

(1) Yamaha RX-A2010

(2) Klipsch RF-83

(1) Klipsch RC-64

(1) Klipsch RSW-10d

(2) Klipsch RVX-54

(2) Klipsch RSX-5

(SeeĀ Links Above for Full Info)

post #14793 of 14812 Old 06-28-2014, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by lflorack View Post
This is obviously personal preference, but I skip past commercials precisely because I don't want to see them at all and want to get past them as soon as possible and on to the show I'm actually trying to watch. With those criteria in mind, 30SKIP works just as I want it to.
+1.

Unlike the E* FF, which is lightening fast, I've found the D* FF (HR44) to be painfully slow, so if you choose to use that method it isn't likely that you will blow past your stopping point. But it is slower than the 30skip. And I've mastered it.
post #14794 of 14812 Old 06-28-2014, 08:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
+1.

Unlike the E* FF, which is lightening fast, I've found the D* FF (HR44) to be painfully slow, so if you choose to use that method it isn't likely that you will blow past your stopping point. But it is slower than the 30skip. And I've mastered it.
Have you found the 30SKIP to be as efficient on the HR44 as it was on earlier model HR DVRs? Or did you start DIRECTV with the HR44?
post #14795 of 14812 Old 06-28-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Have you found the 30SKIP to be as efficient on the HR44 as it was on earlier model HR DVRs? Or did you start DIRECTV with the HR44?
I started with the HR34 so I'm not familiar with the earlier models, but I don't know if it could be any faster than it is. At this point we're talking about a millisecond or two. I have major issues with the FF, but I can't complain about the skip feature.
post #14796 of 14812 Old 06-28-2014, 09:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I started with the HR34 so I'm not familiar with the earlier models, but I don't know if could be any faster than it is. At this point we're talking about a millisecond or two. I have major issues with the FF, but I can't complain about the skip feature.
Okay great, that's just what I wanted to hear!

What problems do you have with the FF? I only use it to skip over large time increments of the program itself, but never for commercials.
post #14797 of 14812 Old 06-28-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Okay great, that's just what I wanted to hear!

What problems do you have with the FF? I only use it to skip over large time increments of the program itself, but never for commercials.
I just did a test. From the time you hit the 30SKIP until you see the picture is 1 second.

Coming from the E* VIP722 to the HR series was like taking a step back in time. I could FF an hour show in something like 10 seconds with the 722. With the HR44 it's closer to a minute; at least it seems like it. But the HR44 does have a 15 minute jump. You first push the FF button and quickly hit the skip button and it will jump ahead 15 minutes depending on where you are in the program. Sometimes it will take you to the end so you have to be careful when you use it. Or better yet, maybe I don't know how to use it properly. I seldom have the need for it.

Last edited by Aliens; 06-28-2014 at 09:17 AM.
post #14798 of 14812 Old 06-28-2014, 09:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I just did a test. From the time you hit the 30SKIP until you see the picture is 1 second.

Coming from the E* VIP722 to the HR series was like taking a step back in time. I could FF an hour show in something like 10 seconds with the 722. With the HR44 it's closer to a minute; at least it seems like it. But the HR44 does have a 15 minute jump. You first push the FF button and quickly hit the skip button and it will jump ahead 15 minutes depending on where you are in the program. Sometimes it will take you to the end so you have to be careful when you use it. Or better yet, maybe I don't know how to use it properly. I seldom have the need for it.
Yeah okay, I thought maybe you were seeing something with the functionality that I wasn't. I agree that the DIRECTV FF function is a bit kludgy, but like you I rarely use it so it's not really a problem.

It's other things about the DIRECTV DVRs that just blow my mind, like why on Earth can't I see what I have scheduled to record without having to sit down in front of the DVR itself, and why can't I see my "To Do List" with one button click when I do sit down in front of the DVR?! I mean, could they make it any more un-user friendly?! These are basic common sense functions that have been in TiVos for probably a decade, what is DIRECTV's problem with this?

I can be on the other side of the planet and see what I have scheduled on my cable DVR via the Internet and or with my cell phone, but with DIRECTV? Nope, forget it, sorry, "you're going to have to fly home to check that".

/rant over
ambesolman likes this.
post #14799 of 14812 Old 06-28-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

As long as we are going to rant. The E* guide has a 3-hour block so you can see the entire primetime programming. D* only shows an hour and a half. This is 2014.

There are way too many programs that lack an OAD (original air date) or episode number on D*. This can result in multiple repeat recordings. Then we get to delete, delete, delete. I was told to use manual recordings to avoid this. Seriously? In 2014? With your top-of-the-line model? E* has so many recording options that makes it almost impossible to get a repeat recording. Plus, they have OADs and episode numbers on almost 100% of their programming. D* & E* get their guide info from the same source (Tribune Media Services), so I don't know why D* eliminates that info. I've spoken to three different people at TMS and they have verified they send the exact same info to both providers. I've talked to D* on numerous occasions (even the president's office) about this but it nothing is being done. They have no clue as to why D* has the info and they don't. "We are looking into it" is what I'm told. That was a year ago. This is 2014.

Whew, I feel better.
post #14800 of 14812 Old 06-28-2014, 10:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
As long as we are going to rant. The E* guide has a 3-hour block so you can see the entire primetime programming. D* only shows an hour and a half. This is 2014.

There are way too many programs that lack an OAD (original air date) or episode number on D*. This can result in multiple repeat recordings. Then we get to delete, delete, delete. I was told to use manual recordings to avoid this. Seriously? In 2014? With your top-of-the-line model? E* has so many recording options that makes it almost impossible to get a repeat recording. Plus, they have OADs and episode numbers on almost 100% of their programming. D* & E* get their guide info from the same source (Tribune Media Services), so I don't know why D* eliminates that info. I've spoken to three different people at TMS and they have verified they send the exact same info to both providers. I've talked to D* on numerous occasions (even the president's office) about this but it nothing is being done. They have no clue as to why D* has the info and they don't. "We are looking into it" is what I'm told. That was a year ago. This is 2014.

Whew, I feel better.
Yes, that guide data laziness, especially the episode number... TiVo's have this, when I had Dish they had it, Comcast cable DVRs have this, when I had a Star Choice(Canada) Motorola sat DVR, it had it, but DIRECTV? Nooooooooo...!

DIRECTV seems to overlook the basic functionality of a DVR and spends too much energy on its widgets, gadgets and whatevers instead.

But they're my only option for MLB-EI, so there I am!
post #14801 of 14812 Old 06-28-2014, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Even better news. I did that test with the client. Trying it tonight on the HR44 - if you blink you'll miss it. You can't get any faster than that.
post #14802 of 14812 Old 06-28-2014, 06:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Even better news. I did that test with the client. Trying it tonight on the HR44 - if you blink you'll miss it. You can't get any faster than that.
Perfect!
post #14803 of 14812 Old 06-29-2014, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Wink

Quote:
Yes, that guide data laziness, especially the episode number... TiVo's have this, when I had Dish they had it, Comcast cable DVRs have this, when I had a Star Choice(Canada) Motorola sat DVR, it had it, but DIRECTV? Nooooooooo...!

DIRECTV seems to overlook the basic functionality of a DVR and spends too much energy on its widgets, gadgets and whatevers instead.

But they're my only option for MLB-EI, so there I am!
Direct tv definitely is clueless when it comes to common sense. They have big issues with their audience channel. The on demand programming lists are a joke. I don't know how many times that I have tried to start a new series on the audience channel and found that they don't list each episode by season and episode . For example, try to figure out where to start with fat tony.I have to go to Wikipedia for the list. Duh.

I also like the guitar sessions show but they totally screwed the audio up.it sounds like they threw a blanket over it Just as soon as the performance starts. The interviews are normal but the band performance is a joke.

I've called direct tv a few times over the years about stuff and nobody knows or cares about customer feedback at that place. All they care about is how many people they can get signed up. Ok, now I'm done with my rant.
post #14804 of 14812 Old 06-29-2014, 12:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow ride View Post
Direct tv definitely is clueless when it comes to common sense. They have big issues with their audience channel. The on demand programming lists are a joke. I don't know how many times that I have tried to start a new series on the audience channel and found that they don't list each episode by season and episode . For example, try to figure out where to start with fat tony.I have to go to Wikipedia for the list. Duh.

I also like the guitar sessions show but they totally screwed the audio up.it sounds like they threw a blanket over it Just as soon as the performance starts. The interviews are normal but the band performance is a joke.

I've called direct tv a few times over the years about stuff and nobody knows or cares about customer feedback at that place. All they care about is how many people they can get signed up. Ok, now I'm done with my rant.
Yes, when I was trying to get caught up on Penny Dreadful I had to go to http://epguides.com/ to figure out which re-run episodes to record and how to watch them in order because DIRECTV can't be bothered to include episode numbers.
post #14805 of 14812 Old 07-08-2014, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm running an HR24-700 and my guide has got a bug I think. When I go to the guide and I scroll through the programs by 5 programs at a time, after the 2nd time through, the top program is not highlighted and the original program that was listed still shows up top(if that makes sense). I'm thinking it must not be a problem for many people or I would have seen some complaints here. It's very annoying. I'll check with D* and see what they have to say. Anyone have this problem?
post #14806 of 14812 Old 07-08-2014, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Within the last few updates, I notice that DoublePlay on my HR21s has changed. I now have to hit pause or play (or have it bring up the position overlay) before I start DoublePlay or switch to the other tuner. I don't like it.
post #14807 of 14812 Old Yesterday, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 81
On a completely different note, the new "wireless" commercials for DirecTV have to be among the most inane pieces of junk ever filmed. I'm sure someone thought they were clever, but I just find them ridiculous and offensive.
Keenan and Charlie Kocis like this.
post #14808 of 14812 Old Yesterday, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
I use "30skip" for commercials so I wouldn't know.
post #14809 of 14812 Old Yesterday, 05:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post
On a completely different note, the new "wireless" commercials for DirecTV have to be among the most inane pieces of junk ever filmed. I'm sure someone thought they were clever, but I just find them ridiculous and offensive.
I find them just downright creepy.

I don't know who D* has doing their ads for them, but it's been a long time since any of them have been any good. Time for a new ad agency, me thinks. Or, if this is a new agency, perhaps going back to the better one might be in order.
BoilerJim likes this.
post #14810 of 14812 Old Yesterday, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by joed32 View Post
I use "30skip" for commercials so I wouldn't know.
I have always wondered how people who skip commercials know what products they may want to buy. While I agree there are far too many commercials, they actually do serve a purpose.
post #14811 of 14812 Old Yesterday, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
When I need something I check on line to see what's available.
lflorack likes this.
post #14812 of 14812 Old Yesterday, 08:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post
I have always wondered how people who skip commercials know what products they may want to buy. While I agree there are far too many commercials, they actually do serve a purpose.
When I have a need for something, I research what is available, read reviews, compare prices, then buy what fills my needs.

Every so often, a commercial is well enough made that I stop and watch it, but that's very rare and I can't think of a single one that led to me buying a product.

Having said that, I'm sure plenty of people are influenced by them, or they wouldn't exist.

Now, I will say that I've checked out new TV shows that look interesting after having come across promos for them.

With ads for products, though, it just doesn't make me want to buy. With me, when I have a need, I'm usually thinking "I wonder if somebody makes something that does..." and off to Google I go.
lflorack likes this.

Last edited by NetworkTV; Yesterday at 08:52 AM.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page