post #14821 of 14848 Old 07-17-2014, 09:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post
Don't get me wrong, I love my DVR and use it to record a lot of programs, especially those which air while I am watching something else "live" or when I'm not home, etc. However, I'm not one of those fanatics who record everything just to avoid commercials. If I'm watching a DVR'd program, I do tend to skip the commercials. On the other hand, if I'm watching something "live," the commercials don't bother me much. The one thing I will agree with is that there are too damned many of them.
I'm the same way, though I've stopped watching most things live just because skipping the ads allows me to watch more shows in less time so I can get to bed earlier.

On the other hand, if I'm cooking or doing other things while playing a show back, I just let it run. I use the commercial time to run the blender or check on the grilling...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14822 of 14848 Old 07-17-2014, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post
Don't get me wrong, I love my DVR and use it to record a lot of programs, especially those which air while I am watching something else "live" or when I'm not home, etc. However, I'm not one of those fanatics who record everything just to avoid commercials. If I'm watching a DVR'd program, I do tend to skip the commercials. On the other hand, if I'm watching something "live," the commercials don't bother me much. The one thing I will agree with is that there are too damned many of them.

Yeah, way too many. Just watch the nbc nightly news. They go the first 15min commercial free, go to commercial. Then come back for a 2-3min story, go to commercial, repeat until the 30min is up. Then you have movies that will show the same commercials over and over every commercial break.

This is why we don't watch ANYHING live.

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still 👎
post #14823 of 14848 Old 07-17-2014, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
Then you have movies that will show the same commercials over and over every commercial break.
NFL games are notorious for that. Sometimes going so far as to play the same commercial back-to-back. I can't recall, but some of those may be local spots. In any case, they are a turn-off. But nothing beats the redundancy of political ads, which will be gracing TV screens this fall. No wonder the country is half crazy. I can't imagine being without a DVR.
ambesolman likes this.
post #14824 of 14848 Old 07-18-2014, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, what I hate is when they show a commercial for a show I'm watching...while I'm watching that show. I get a case of fast forwardus interruptus and my wife looks at me like I don't know what I'm doing. I really do sweetie, they just tricked me into thinking it was back on...

Bill
post #14825 of 14848 Old 07-18-2014, 01:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie_Tee View Post
OK, what I hate is when they show a commercial for a show I'm watching...while I'm watching that show. I get a case of fast forwardus interruptus and my wife looks at me like I don't know what I'm doing. I really do sweetie, they just tricked me into thinking it was back on...
Yes, I've done the same thing numerous times, it's a little trick to get you to at least watch that last ad before the show itself returns.
post #14826 of 14848 Old 07-22-2014, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by OggideM View Post

i'm canceling my d* the instant any level of service/package/hardware/etc
change.

Have had d* for 17 years
This is more or less how I feel about D* and our near $150/month payment with 4 DVR's & Family pack.

I have ATT for cell phone with 2yr contract + DSL. So I'm hoping soon ATT will offer a bundle to add D*as TV to our cell phone & DSL then we're talking some serious savings.

Last edited by DrDon; Yesterday at 01:16 AM. Reason: PROFANITY IS NOT ALLOWED
post #14827 of 14848 Old 07-22-2014, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post
This is more or less how I feel about D* and our near $150/month payment with 4 DVR's & Family pack.

I have ATT for cell phone with 2yr contract + DSL. So I'm hoping soon ATT will offer a bundle to add D*as TV to our cell phone & DSL then we're talking some serious savings.

+1

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still 👎
post #14828 of 14848 Old 07-22-2014, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

My bill with two DVRs, a third receiver, and HD package with HBO (but not many of the other movie channels) had crept to over $170 a month. I really don't watch much in the summer so I decided to cut the cord.

I had been paying for the service plan with D*, so last summer I was "eligible" to upgrade on of my old laggy DVRs to a newer model, which I did. Unfortunately that meant by cancelling now I had a nice $300 early termination fee. They used that fee when I called as a threat to stay on but somehow it worked the other way and strengthened my resolve to cancel. They also told me if I decided to return to D* I would not be offered any incentives for two years.

At the end of the day I did enjoy D* for many years, but the world is moving on. I could not justify the price for the small amount of content I was consuming, plus much of what I watched was available OTA. I'm excited about a lot of the great streaming options now available. I already pay for Prime, have a huge Bluray back log, and last weekend subscribed to UFC Fight Pass and watched the Dublin event live in HD.

It's going to be interesting moving forward but I feel great having made the leap.
post #14829 of 14848 Old 07-22-2014, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 284
I felt the same way. So I switched to cable, used my own DVR, and now have a 5 TV whole home system for $60/month (no equipment or DVR service fees except one $2 cable card) and get far more HD and HBO/MAX/SHO. Cable card, Ceton and WMC is a wonderful thing. DirecTV can suck it.
post #14830 of 14848 Old Yesterday, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutter View Post
They also told me if I decided to return to D* I would not be offered any incentives for two years.
I would have told them that Dish Network will be glad to have my business - with incentives. It won't be long until they start begging you to come back - with incentives.
post #14831 of 14848 Old Yesterday, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter65 View Post
I'm running an HR24-700 and my guide has got a bug I think. When I go to the guide and I scroll through the programs by 5 programs at a time, after the 2nd time through, the top program is not highlighted and the original program that was listed still shows up top(if that makes sense). I'm thinking it must not be a problem for many people or I would have seen some complaints here. It's very annoying. I'll check with D* and see what they have to say. Anyone have this problem?
A reset of the receiver fixed this issue. Yay!!
post #14832 of 14848 Old Yesterday, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I got an HR20 replaced by a HR44 (and a slimline LNB with a SWM). What a difference in performance.

The new RF remote doesn't allow me to control my TV or receiver so I replaced my worn-out remote with a new one.

Now to rebuild my series links.
post #14833 of 14848 Old Yesterday, 09:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbathespud View Post
I got an HR20 replaced by a HR44 (and a slimline LNB with a SWM). What a difference in performance.

The new RF remote doesn't allow me to control my TV or receiver so I replaced my worn-out remote with a new one.

Now to rebuild my series links.
Did you do that through the free upgrade offer message on the DVR? I've been debating on doing it myself but do not want to end up with an HR34. I think I may go ahead with it and insist the installer call before coming out and if it isn't an HR44 then not to bother coming at all.
post #14834 of 14848 Old Yesterday, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

I already had the protection plan any had to equipment changes for years so I got the free upgrade. To get an HR44, just say you need to use the wireless feature.
post #14835 of 14848 Old Yesterday, 10:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I already had the protection plan any had to equipment changes for years so I got the free upgrade. To get an HR44, just say you need to use the wireless feature.
The HR34 doesn't do wireless?
post #14836 of 14848 Old Yesterday, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

HR34 doesn't have WiFi AFAIK. That feature was added to the HR44.
post #14837 of 14848 Old Yesterday, 11:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Okay, good to know, thanks!
post #14838 of 14848 Old Yesterday, 11:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
The wireless feature is for the Genie box or the Internet or both? In other words, if I say I need WiFi are they going to make me get something else in addition to the just HR44? I'm already SWM wired.
post #14839 of 14848 Old Yesterday, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

It's for communicating with the wireless genie mini client. Or mention that you WiFi to access the internet from the Genie.
post #14840 of 14848 Old Yesterday, 02:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
It's for communicating with the wireless genie mini client. Or mention that you WiFi to access the internet from the Genie.
Thanks for the info!
post #14841 of 14848 Old Yesterday, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
How many series links will the HR44 handle. HR20's go to only 35.
post #14842 of 14848 Old Yesterday, 05:58 PM
rad
AVS Special Member

A HR2X should be able to do 50 series links, a Genie can do 100 series links.
post #14843 of 14848 Old Yesterday, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Thanks, I was shuffling 35

How many programs can be recorded at one time?

How does one record OTA channels with the genie? Do you have to find one of the old OTA boxes and add it?
post #14844 of 14848 Old Yesterday, 06:30 PM
rad
AVS Special Member

A Geinie has 5 tuners in it so you can record 5 programs at one time, watch one live channel and record 4 others, etc.

You can add an AM21 or AM21N to the Genie to record OTA channels. But it will only tune in the channels/subchannels that are in the DIRECTV database. I know you can't tune in 7-2 for example. Adding an AM21(N) doesn't add to the number of concurrend channels you can record, still limited to 5.
post #14845 of 14848 Old Today, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
That's great to know & thx for sharing that but in order to use the HR44, they would have to come out & put in that new LNB, additional wiring for the 5 tuners and a new dish. This new Genie thing is not so simple like plug n play, then of course they will say it will cost this & that for them to come out and do all the upgrades labor.
post #14846 of 14848 Old Today, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

They had to put in the new LNB and retune the dish. They removed the BBCs from the HR20.

One interesting thing I found out is that the only sats used now are 99, 101, and 103. 110 and 119 are no longer used.
post #14847 of 14848 Old Today, 03:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
That's great to know & thx for sharing that but in order to use the HR44, they would have to come out & put in that new LNB, additional wiring for the 5 tuners and a new dish. This new Genie thing is not so simple like plug n play, then of course they will say it will cost this & that for them to come out and do all the upgrades labor.
Unless you already have the new dish, LNB and SWM. That was all installed when they came out to move the dish due to trees, they just left the old one and put up a new one. Actually, the only thing a I needed was the upgrade to the SWM when they replaced the HR20 with the HR24, my current dish would have worked if it wasn't blocked by trees.
post #14848 of 14848 Old Today, 04:06 PM
rad
AVS Special Member

Quote:
One interesting thing I found out is that the only sats used now are 99, 101, and 103. 110 and 119 are no longer used.
110 and 119 are still being used, 110 is for Puerto Rico HD channels and 119 for some SD locals and spanish language programming.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page