post #14971 of 14990 Old 09-26-2014, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post
Yeah but not having a rec or Dvr in other rooms you won't get all the channels as with a Dvr. You'll be getting like the basic channels.

Matt, there's no way D* can match cox cause cox deal includes 50mbps of internet which is better than AT&T DSL. I'm paying $130 for D + $50 for AT&T DSL. Cox is just $ 120 for both.
Doesn't work that way. With Xbox (or any other Windows Media Center Extender) you get ALL channels and ALL recordings in every room for free. Every room has DVR capability. That's the whole point of using cable card and extenders. For my 5 TV system, saves me at least $50/month over what I was paying for an equivalent DirecTV system. Plus my cable system has 80 more HD channels than DirecTV and cheaper packages with more content.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14972 of 14990 Old 09-26-2014, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
https://vimeo.com/107267276
post #14973 of 14990 Old 09-26-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
. Cox is just $ 120 for both.
Humm ... I suspect that figure will change in about 12 months. In the meantime ... enjoy.
post #14974 of 14990 Old 09-27-2014, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post
Humm ... I suspect that figure will change in about 12 months. In the meantime ... enjoy.
Yep, in 12 months, my cable TV package goes from $60 to $80 (normal price), but still has far more channels than any D* package at that price, including HBO/MAX/SHO. Haven't regretted switching one bit (left D* about 4 years ago, including a short time with Dish). Have probably saved thousands during that time.

Would probably still have D* if not for the equipment/DVR fees. I always loved their DVRs and picture quality. They also have a decent HD lineup. Although my cable system has far more, I can't say I actually watch very many of those additional ones. Cable card is the only thing that makes cable more affordable. Cable company DVRs are the worst and just as expensive as satellite. Being able to use my own DVRs and avoid all those fees makes a huge difference.

Last edited by mdavej; 09-27-2014 at 03:05 PM.
post #14975 of 14990 Old 09-27-2014, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Doesn't work that way. With Xbox (or any other Windows Media Center Extender) you get ALL channels and ALL recordings in every room for free. Every room has DVR capability. That's the whole point of using cable card and extenders. For my 5 TV system, saves me at least $50/month over what I was paying for an equivalent DirecTV system. Plus my cable system has 80 more HD channels than DirecTV and cheaper packages with more conten.
I don't have xbox or ps4 fellas. Mdavej or anyone who has Cox or TWC can you tell me if what they say is true that HD cable picture is better than D* now please. I haven't seen cable for ages so don't know how much have they evolved but it seems like they're making a big comeback.

It's taken them about 20 yrs to catch up to D* and their HD channel is quite good, many that D doesn't have anymore like G4 & fuel.

So if no xbox, is there other options to get more than ch 1-100 without a receiver? Cox charges $8.50 per box so with our 4 rooms that's $35 just to have a receiver. The cox rep said something about going backwards on the remote from 200 I can get channels after 100. Is that true also?
post #14976 of 14990 Old 09-28-2014, 03:27 AM
AVS Special Member

You have got to be kidding, there are cox tv ads bombarding us just about every break, on every channel, every hour day night and there's not a single person who has cox or seen it at friends or family home?

Somebody throw me a bone already.
post #14977 of 14990 Old 09-28-2014, 03:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just a funny thought,,

I surfed the (HSN) on dtv the other day, they were selling 4k tv. I thought, how strange to see them showing the quality difference between hd, 1k, picture and 4k when hsn is not offered in HD ,,,, LOL
post #14978 of 14990 Old 09-28-2014, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
You have got to be kidding, there are cox tv ads bombarding us just about every break, on every channel, every hour day night and there's not a single person who has cox or seen it at friends or family home?

Somebody throw me a bone already.
I can tell you my opinion of the local Cox co, but the problem is that the quality here may be different than Cox in another city. First, I have to tell you that 1) I have never been a fan of Cox, which is the local cable co, and 2) as soon as I could, I switched to D* which was in 1995. So, you know I may be biased.

I gave my brother in law my 50" Panasonic plasma when I purchased a new one a few years ago. He had Cox, and I watched a lot of programming on his (my former) TV, and I was well aware of what the TV looked like with D*. I never thought the Cox picture was as good as D*, and in particular it was for some reason much worse on the local channels. I don't know if it was bandwidth or other issues, but the picture was not as clear, there was more banding, and colors were off in a way I couldn't correct them.

Of course, in other areas of the country, Cox may look a lot better.

SMK
post #14979 of 14990 Old 09-28-2014, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
mdavej Plus my cable system has 80 more HD channels than DirecTV and cheaper packages with more content.???

My DirecTV package includes 187 HD channels. It also has about 50 channels that could be shown in HD, but are not. Where in the heck is COX getting almost 270 HD channels??? Pardon me if I'm more than a little skeptical.
post #14980 of 14990 Old 09-28-2014, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh99 View Post
mdavej Plus my cable system has 80 more HD channels than DirecTV and cheaper packages with more content.???

My DirecTV package includes 187 HD channels. It also has about 50 channels that could be shown in HD, but are not. Where in the heck is COX getting almost 270 HD channels??? Pardon me if I'm more than a little skeptical.
Well, I have Charter, not Cox. I think Cox has about the same number of HD channels as DirecTV. If I look at the chart below I see that Charter has 201 and DirecTV has 141. Add 20 to Charter that were added since the chart was last updated, and that's 80. I think there are about 650 channels on Charter if you also include SD. My package doesn't have nearly that many of course.

Official AVS National HD Channel Lineups - Cable/DBS/Fiber/IPTV - Updated 6/14/14

This doesn't include regional sports, of which DirecTV will have quite a bit more. But I have no idea how to compare that because I don't know what's available where. Sports aren't even on my radar really. Best case, possibly bumps DirecTV's count up by about 30, still 50 short of what I've got on cable.

Here are just a few HD channels that Charter has that DirecTV doesn't:

American Heroes
AWE
BBC World News
C-SPAN (and 2 and 3)
ESPN Goal Line
Esquire
Fuse
Fusion
FX Movie
GolTV
Great American Country
GSN
Hub
MavTV
MTV2
Nick Jr.
Nicktoons
Outdoor
Oxygen
Pivot
Reelz
RFD
SEC 1 and 2
Sportsman
Sprout
Sundance
TV One
TV Guide Network
UP
WE tv
Encore Action, Black, Classic, Suspense
Epix
MoviePlex
IndiePlex
RetroPlex

Last edited by mdavej; 09-28-2014 at 08:20 PM.
post #14981 of 14990 Old 09-28-2014, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Horrible Bravo-HD Picture on DirecTV (not HD) Ch. 237

Been trying to get DirecTV to fix their horrible picture on Bravo-HD on Ch. 237.... It's been like this for the last 2 weeks.... They obviously lost the correct HD settings on their Bravo (NBC Universal) decoders.... Or they just outright failed....

They're outputting Bravo as an SD widescreen picture on an HD bandwidth channel, which is why it fills the screen and looks better than their SD channels.... However, this is NOT the correct, crispy 1080i HD feed sent out by Bravo....Just compare it to the Bravo-HD feed on DISH Network and Comcast..... Or to the rest of DirecTV's HD channels in 1080i HD....

Talking to DirecTV Advanced Technical Support has been a total waste of time, they have no clue.... Amazing that DirecTV's engineers cannot pick this up, makes you wonder if it can happen to other channels since they obviously do not have a quality control system in place to to detect and fix such decoder failures immediately....

Any idea here how we can get DirecTV's engineers' attention on this ?....
post #14982 of 14990 Old 09-28-2014, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question DirecTV Genie - can I skip 15 seconds?

I've been using the 30 second skip or slide for years, its great. Works perfect using my Harmony One. But...I'd like to have a second option of about 15 seconds. Any way to do it?
post #14983 of 14990 Old 09-28-2014, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario315 View Post
Been trying to get DirecTV to fix their horrible picture on Bravo-HD on Ch. 237.... It's been like this for the last 2 weeks.... They obviously lost the correct HD settings on their Bravo (NBC Universal) decoders.... Or they just outright failed....

+1, I've see this too, maybe Customer Support?

I'm just glad I really don't watch Bravo, if I did that SD look would drive me nuts.
post #14984 of 14990 Old Yesterday, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario315 View Post

They're outputting Bravo as an SD widescreen picture on an HD bandwidth channel, which is why it fills the screen and looks better than their SD channels.... However, this is NOT the correct, crispy 1080i HD feed sent out by Bravo....Just compare it to the Bravo-HD feed on DISH Network and Comcast..... Or to the rest of DirecTV's HD channels in 1080i HD....

Talking to DirecTV Advanced Technical Support has been a total waste of time, they have no clue.... Amazing that DirecTV's engineers cannot pick this up, makes you wonder if it can happen to other channels since they obviously do not have a quality control system in place to to detect and fix such decoder failures immediately....

I reported the same a few weeks back to Directv.
The engineers report no problems. Haha
After four or five days with the Bravo Hd issue, it did finally go back to true hd for about a week. Noticed This past Saturday it was back to soft hd. Ugh!
post #14985 of 14990 Old Yesterday, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Alright, tomorrow is the day I start my new chapter with cox after 19 yrs with D*.
I'm still a bit apprehensive as you know we're creature of habit & I'm so used with looking at the same channel guide menu n where all my channels are at it's going to be weird learning Cox's channel guide n listing.

I'll keep D* for a few days to do A>B comparison and just in case switching to Cox was a big mistake.

One thing I already do not like is their whole home Dvr Contour with 6 tuners, yet the other rooms without a HD receiver can only view ch 1-100. What kinda bogus set up is that anyways?

That doesn't happen with Uverse, dish, & other cable right? My brother who has dish said the other 4 rooms can view every channel that the main Dvr Joey can see. Can someone puh-lease explain why Cox whole home Dvr is the only room that can view all channels while other rooms can't? I don't like it at all, And they want $8.50 for ea additional receiver.
post #14986 of 14990 Old Yesterday, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Alright, tomorrow is the day I start my new chapter with cox after 19 yrs with D*.
I'm still a bit apprehensive as you know we're creature of habit & I'm so used with looking at the same channel guide menu n where all my channels are at it's going to be weird learning Cox's channel guide n listing.

I'll keep D* for a few days to do A>B comparison and just in case switching to Cox was a big mistake.

One thing I already do not like is their whole home Dvr Contour with 6 tuners, yet the other rooms without a HD receiver can only view ch 1-100. What kinda bogus set up is that anyways?

That doesn't happen with Uverse, dish, & other cable right? My brother who has dish said the other 4 rooms can view every channel that the main Dvr Joey can see. Can someone puh-lease explain why Cox whole home Dvr is the only room that can view all channels while other rooms can't? I don't like it at all, And they want $8.50 for ea additional receiver.
If you want to save money (in the long run) AND get every channel in every room, you should really consider cable card which is only $2/month on Cox. Within a year you'd have saved enough to pay for 4 used Xboxes (or Echoes like I use). Every year after that is an extra $400 in your pocket.

It makes sense to me that any room without a box would be limited to analog and clear QAM only. Every other whole home system requires a box for every TV, or at least an additional fee (except WMC).

Good luck

post #14987 of 14990 Old Yesterday, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If you want to save money (in the long run) AND get every channel in every room, you should really consider cable card which is only $2/month on Cox. Within a year you'd have saved enough to pay for 4 used Xboxes (or Echoes like I use). Every year after that is an extra $400 in your pocket.

It makes sense to me that any room without a box would be limited to analog and clear QAM only. Every other whole home system requires a box for every TV, or at least an additional fee (except WMC).

Good luck
Yes, do tell please how does that cable card works? How exactly will that $2 card help if I don't have a receiver to use it with? Where do I stick it? Are you talking about buying my own receiver off eBay? And why would Cox give one for only $2 if it's not for their leased box?

Btw, with genie, Joey, Uverse does not require a box every tv to view all the channels in the package. That's what's great about that.

Last edited by zoey67; Yesterday at 09:27 PM.
post #14988 of 14990 Old Yesterday, 09:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Well, I have Charter, not Cox. I think Cox has about the same number of HD channels as DirecTV. If I look at the chart below I see that Charter has 201 and DirecTV has 141. Add 20 to Charter that were added since the chart was last updated, and that's 80. I think there are about 650 channels on Charter if you also include SD. My package doesn't have nearly that many of course.

Official AVS National HD Channel Lineups - Cable/DBS/Fiber/IPTV - Updated 6/14/14

This doesn't include regional sports, of which DirecTV will have quite a bit more. But I have no idea how to compare that because I don't know what's available where. Sports aren't even on my radar really. Best case, possibly bumps DirecTV's count up by about 30, still 50 short of what I've got on cable.

Here are just a few HD channels that Charter has that DirecTV doesn't:

American Heroes
AWE
BBC World News
C-SPAN (and 2 and 3)
ESPN Goal Line
Esquire
Fuse
Fusion
FX Movie
GolTV
Great American Country
GSN
Hub
MavTV
MTV2
Nick Jr.
Nicktoons
Outdoor
Oxygen
Pivot
Reelz
RFD
SEC 1 and 2
Sportsman
Sprout
Sundance
TV One
TV Guide Network
UP
WE tv
Encore Action, Black, Classic, Suspense
Epix
MoviePlex
IndiePlex
RetroPlex
I'm not at all disappointed D* only has most of those in SD since a) a lot of the stuff on those channels is SD anyway b) is crap or c) are premium channels I wouldn't subscribe to anyway.

I mean seriously: who watches C-SPAN any more, much less 2 and 3? The TV Guide Network? Bueller? Bueller?

About the only channel I even remotely miss on the list is Epix, and only because they very occasionally show decent movies and having the channel would allow me to access their streaming library which includes movies nobody ever shows.
ambesolman likes this.

post #14989 of 14990 Old Today, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes, do tell please how does that cable card works? How exactly will that $2 card help if I don't have a receiver to use it with? Where do I stick it? Are you talking about buying my own receiver off eBay? And why would Cox give one for only $2 if it's not for their leased box?
Buy a Tivo, Ceton InfiniTV or Silicon Dust HD Homerun Prime from a retailer, plug your $2 card into it. FCC requires cable companies to offer cable card for a subscriber's own equipment. So you can either pay your $35+ for all those cable boxes, or buy your own and pay only $2. With Ceton and Silicon Dust, your other TVs only need Xboxes or Echoes, no additional cards.

Quote:
Btw, with genie, Joey, Uverse does not require a box every tv to view all the channels in the package. That's what's great about that.
That simply isn't true. A Joey IS a box, so is a Genie Mini, each requiring a monthly fee. Some Samsung TVs work without a box on DirecTV but they still charge a fee regardless. Same story for Uverse. No free lunch.

post #14990 of 14990 Old Today, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I have Cox. 2 HD Dvr's, 2 Tuners in each one, each one has a 1 Terabyte Hard Drive. Probably should up-grade to the 6 Tuner model with has a 2 Terabyte Hard Drive standard. The D Genie has 5 Tuners and a 1 Terabyte Hard Drive. Hope they bring out the HR 54 with a bigger Hard Drive soon. Back to Cox, the other rooms without boxes get Ch.'s 2-72 in SD, and the Network feeds in HD using the TV Tuner.. No additional Cox charges.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page