Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post
On my system, basically the Chattanooga channels:
NBC - yes
ABC - no
CBS - no
FOX - doesn't even have VOD
CW - doesn't have VOD

I'm afraid you may be disappointed on a lot of the major cable channels too, some do and some don't, it's a crap shoot. I don't know who's to blame, but Directv isn't the leader in On-Demand for sure. All the pay channels, Showtime, HBO, Starz are all HD. AMC doesn't have HD, TNT does.
I've never been a big user of OD ever and that's for many reasons. Since DTV offers some channels I didn't have on Cox I have recorded quite a bit of OD content and watched it already and so far all of it's been in HD. Everything I've watched from there has been and I've downloaded/watched OD from some dozen channels or so now. Keep in mind ~80% of it has been documentary (feature-length) movies and the rest random shows. I refuse anything that's SD, just my personal preference.

Being the snoop I am I have inspected nearly every channel's OD and I don't recall seeing loads of SD content except on SD channels but I do recall being disappointed with the show selection on most cable networks on DTV. Seems cable OD had way more which confirms what everyone's saying here by DTV's OD sucking. I wonder why that is? You'd think DTV's OD would be better considering, unlike cable TV, DTV doesn't provide the bandwidth. Unless I'm missing something? Doesn't OD from cable download OD from the same cable company's internet I had and doesn't DTV use the same cable internet I have thus eliminating a cost on DTV's part? Doesn't make sense. I understand there's contractual agreements involves and things like that but aside from legalities it really should be cheaper/easier for DTV and Dish to be the best for OD content.

All that being said, like most, I don't really care much for OD. I have some 70+ season passes and am good at knowing about new shows I want to watch and setting them up. Don't really need OD unless I'm bored out of my skull.

DirecTV Genie HR44 — Xbox One — Onkyo TX-NR636 — Samsung UN75F6400
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15152 of 15157 Old Yesterday, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 81
^^^
Having 5 tuners helps a lot, when you only have 2, then you have to pick and choose a bit more, especially on the Major nets, since they don't run repeats that often during the season. Whereas the major cable nets repeat their shows a lot, so you're not forced to choose which show to record.
post #15153 of 15157 Old Today, 05:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mehs View Post
Sure you can. You just have to have an Android device.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
Or a Windows Phone. For the six of us who own one.
Well WTF? Seriously ....

That's just awful.
post #15154 of 15157 Old Today, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post
Well WTF? Seriously ....

That's just awful.
No kidding, the platform isn't terribly popular in the US, but the tethering screams on 4GLTE. Sunday Ticket streams beautifully. I was kind of surprised by that. Got through half of one game on a plane before Gogo Inflight decided I shouldn't be streaming and shut me down.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #15155 of 15157 Old Today, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
No kidding, the platform isn't terribly popular in the US, but the tethering screams on 4GLTE. Sunday Ticket streams beautifully. I was kind of surprised by that. Got through half of one game on a plane before Gogo Inflight decided I shouldn't be streaming and shut me down.
So where do I gripe about it? On the iOS App review? Is there a gripe box for D*?

Encoding and sending to my iPad really wasn't that bad though. To be honest.
post #15156 of 15157 Old Today, 01:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
So where's the bottleneck, Apple, DIRECTV or the telco?
post #15157 of 15157 Old Today, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
So where's the bottleneck, Apple, DIRECTV or the telco?
Dunno. I'm Windows Phone. Streaming works just fine. My only bottleneck was Gogo Inflight.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page