34Likes
post #15211 of 15215 Unread Yesterday, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican-bum View Post
I do recommend upgrading to the genie, make sure the installer has an HR44, if they bring an HR34 refuse the install as they aren't nearly as good.

Also the genie has 5 recordable tuners. If you add 2 genie mini's and all 3 are used at the same time your genie will only have 2 recordable tuners. I says this because I recommend keeping the DVR and HD receiver you have now. That way you would have 7 total recordable tuners, and your HD receiver could record on either your current DVR or Genie. You would still have one shared playlist. The genie mini's are really just clients that steal a tuner from the genie but still cost $6.50, my point is if your going to pay $6.50 might as well be for a real receiver.

If you really do need the wireless then at least try to keep your current DVR.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not quite sure I understand the hardware setup you are describing for me. I was under the impression I would have to give up my current equipment when "upgrading". I only have 3 TV's in my home... Two with the current DVR and receiver setup I described. Now I'm looking to add another receiver for a 3rd TV in a bedroom where there's no cable coax connection (hence what I thought was a need for dropping a genie mini at that location). I could be missing something and this may be what you are recommending but I suppose I could keep my current DVR, give up the current receiver (H24-100), add the new Genie DVR and a single mini. It seems that gets me the 7 tuners with only one mini 'stealing' one tuner from the mix.

Thanks again for the feedback on this. I'll likely DirecTV tomorrow and see what this setup will cost me compared to my current monthly bill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15212 of 15215 Unread Yesterday, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcaraway View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not quite sure I understand the hardware setup you are describing for me. I was under the impression I would have to give up my current equipment when "upgrading". I only have 3 TV's in my home... Two with the current DVR and receiver setup I described. Now I'm looking to add another receiver for a 3rd TV in a bedroom where there's no cable coax connection (hence what I thought was a need for dropping a genie mini at that location). I could be missing something and this may be what you are recommending but I suppose I could keep my current DVR, give up the current receiver (H24-100), add the new Genie DVR and a single mini. It seems that gets me the 7 tuners with only one mini 'stealing' one tuner from the mix.

Thanks again for the feedback on this. I'll likely DirecTV tomorrow and see what this setup will cost me compared to my current monthly bill.

When you upgrade you have the option to add or replace, sounds like from what you describe you should replace the h24-100 with a genie and add a wireless mini and keep your current dvr. That way you would not lose your current recordings and have 2 more recordable tuners. I personally use my 2 tuner dvr for the kids to record their stuff and I have all 5 tuners on the genie to myself.

But again it's totally up to you, your original proposed setup would work fine, I just think keeping the extra Dvr is best since it doesn't cost a dime more. Also if the genie ever fails for some reason all the genie mini clients fail also as they are just parasitic clients, have an extra dvr also allows you to keep watching tv until genie is replaced.
post #15213 of 15215 Unread Yesterday, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcaraway View Post

We upgraded to the Genie (HR44 & Mini Genie). DTV Installer took our two DVR's. Upgrading was an excellent decision.

Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750, Denon AVR 1912,
DirecTV HD DVR Genie HR44, DirecTV AM21 OTA Rcvr,
Panasonic Blu-ray DMP-BD65, Toshiba HD DVD A20,
Infinity Alpha Speakers 50's, 20's, 10's, 37c
Valodyne VRP-1000 Sub, Panamax M4300-PM, Monoprice Cables, Harmony One Remote
post #15214 of 15215 Unread Today, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for the helpful comments. I appreciate the feedback.
post #15215 of 15215 Unread Today, 01:06 PM
rad
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I you decided to go with the Genie/mini client route I'd recommend when the installer calls to confirm the arrival time you tell him you want a HR44 Genie and not a HR34. The HR34 is a slower box and when using a mini client with them the user interface can be to the point of frustration with some people. The HR44 has a faster processor making the UI speed on the clients very acceptable. If all they have is HR34's on the van I'd recommend asking him to reschedule for when they have a HR44 available. Since you'd be starting a new 2 year commitment making this change better to get something you'll be happy with for that time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page