DirecTV HDTV - Page 508 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 34Likes

post #15211 of 15232 Old 03-04-2015, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican-bum View Post
I do recommend upgrading to the genie, make sure the installer has an HR44, if they bring an HR34 refuse the install as they aren't nearly as good.

Also the genie has 5 recordable tuners. If you add 2 genie mini's and all 3 are used at the same time your genie will only have 2 recordable tuners. I says this because I recommend keeping the DVR and HD receiver you have now. That way you would have 7 total recordable tuners, and your HD receiver could record on either your current DVR or Genie. You would still have one shared playlist. The genie mini's are really just clients that steal a tuner from the genie but still cost $6.50, my point is if your going to pay $6.50 might as well be for a real receiver.

If you really do need the wireless then at least try to keep your current DVR.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not quite sure I understand the hardware setup you are describing for me. I was under the impression I would have to give up my current equipment when "upgrading". I only have 3 TV's in my home... Two with the current DVR and receiver setup I described. Now I'm looking to add another receiver for a 3rd TV in a bedroom where there's no cable coax connection (hence what I thought was a need for dropping a genie mini at that location). I could be missing something and this may be what you are recommending but I suppose I could keep my current DVR, give up the current receiver (H24-100), add the new Genie DVR and a single mini. It seems that gets me the 7 tuners with only one mini 'stealing' one tuner from the mix.

Thanks again for the feedback on this. I'll likely DirecTV tomorrow and see what this setup will cost me compared to my current monthly bill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15212 of 15232 Old 03-04-2015, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcaraway View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not quite sure I understand the hardware setup you are describing for me. I was under the impression I would have to give up my current equipment when "upgrading". I only have 3 TV's in my home... Two with the current DVR and receiver setup I described. Now I'm looking to add another receiver for a 3rd TV in a bedroom where there's no cable coax connection (hence what I thought was a need for dropping a genie mini at that location). I could be missing something and this may be what you are recommending but I suppose I could keep my current DVR, give up the current receiver (H24-100), add the new Genie DVR and a single mini. It seems that gets me the 7 tuners with only one mini 'stealing' one tuner from the mix.

Thanks again for the feedback on this. I'll likely DirecTV tomorrow and see what this setup will cost me compared to my current monthly bill.

When you upgrade you have the option to add or replace, sounds like from what you describe you should replace the h24-100 with a genie and add a wireless mini and keep your current dvr. That way you would not lose your current recordings and have 2 more recordable tuners. I personally use my 2 tuner dvr for the kids to record their stuff and I have all 5 tuners on the genie to myself.

But again it's totally up to you, your original proposed setup would work fine, I just think keeping the extra Dvr is best since it doesn't cost a dime more. Also if the genie ever fails for some reason all the genie mini clients fail also as they are just parasitic clients, have an extra dvr also allows you to keep watching tv until genie is replaced.
post #15213 of 15232 Old 03-04-2015, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

We upgraded to the Genie (HR44 & Mini Genie). DTV Installer took our two DVR's. Upgrading was an excellent decision.

Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750, Denon AVR 1912, DirecTV HD DVR Genie HR44, DirecTV AM21 OTA Rcvr, Panasonic Blu-ray DMP-BD65, Toshiba HD DVD A20, Infinity Alpha Speakers 50's, 20's, 10's, 37c, Valodyne VRP-1000 Sub, Panamax M4300-PM, Harmony Ultimate One Remote, Monoprice AV Cables
post #15214 of 15232 Old 03-05-2015, 11:41 AM

Thanks for the helpful comments. I appreciate the feedback.
post #15215 of 15232 Old 03-05-2015, 12:06 PM
rad
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I you decided to go with the Genie/mini client route I'd recommend when the installer calls to confirm the arrival time you tell him you want a HR44 Genie and not a HR34. The HR34 is a slower box and when using a mini client with them the user interface can be to the point of frustration with some people. The HR44 has a faster processor making the UI speed on the clients very acceptable. If all they have is HR34's on the van I'd recommend asking him to reschedule for when they have a HR44 available. Since you'd be starting a new 2 year commitment making this change better to get something you'll be happy with for that time.
post #15216 of 15232 Old 03-10-2015, 05:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Thinking about switching to D, but I need a bigger hard-drive. Any news on the HR 54 Dvr?? An upgrade with a 2 terabyte hard drive and maybe a 6th Tuner??? If yes, I'm in.
post #15217 of 15232 Old 03-10-2015, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lucca View Post
Thinking about switching to D, but I need a bigger hard-drive. Any news on the HR 54 Dvr?? An upgrade with a 2 terabyte hard drive and maybe a 6th Tuner??? If yes, I'm in.
no news yet, but you can upgrade a genie with an external drive, many are running 4 TB and more. Also you can add additional HD Dvr's if need more tuners.

My setup is Genie and 4 HD dvr's. I have 13 tuners.
post #15218 of 15232 Old 03-10-2015, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lucca View Post
Thinking about switching to D, but I need a bigger hard-drive. Any news on the HR 54 Dvr?? An upgrade with a 2 terabyte hard drive and maybe a 6th Tuner???
You could go this route & even have an automatic backup drive(s):

http://www.weaknees.com/directv-hd-dvr-upgrade.php
post #15219 of 15232 Old 03-10-2015, 12:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by dishrich View Post
You could go this route & even have an automatic backup drive(s):

http://www.weaknees.com/directv-hd-dvr-upgrade.php
If its a new DVR that you haven't recorded anything on, just get a security torx driver set and whatever size SATA drive you want and swap it with the original one. Power up, go eat lunch and it will set itself up. Just keep the old drive to put back in if you cancel the service. Easiest upgrade ever.

If you've recorded stuff, watch it first, then do the swap.
post #15220 of 15232 Old 03-10-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
If its a new DVR that you haven't recorded anything on, just get a security torx driver set and whatever size SATA drive you want and swap it with the original one. Power up, go eat lunch and it will set itself up. Just keep the old drive to put back in if you cancel the service. Easiest upgrade ever.

yep, obviously directv doesn't recommend opening their leased boxes, but I have never had a problem with doing it, i have even returned one that I had opened up, no problem
post #15221 of 15232 Old 03-10-2015, 04:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Yup, that's what I did, $80 for the 2 TB drive and 20 mins to to do the swap and I was good to go, it's worked flawlessly ever since. The HR44 is crazy simple to open up, then it's like maybe 3 screws and the HDD plug, I think I even posted about it in this thread and if not here it was over at DBSTalk.
post #15222 of 15232 Old 03-11-2015, 01:32 PM

Got my install today. Genie installed (H44), moved previous DVR to kids' room, added Genie mini wireless to 3rd TV in bedroom. Seems to be working great. Still probably need to re-work some recordings based on any potential timing conflicts to better use the additional available tuners but it seems like everything is working well.

Thanks for the help on this forum. Much appreciated!
post #15223 of 15232 Old 03-11-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Got my install today. Genie installed (H44), moved previous DVR to kids' room, added Genie mini wireless to 3rd TV in bedroom. Seems to be working great. Still probably need to re-work some recordings based on any potential timing conflicts to better use the additional available tuners but it seems like everything is working well.

Thanks for the help on this forum. Much appreciated!
Great! Thanks for the update.
post #15224 of 15232 Old 03-11-2015, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Use old DirecTV as OTA ATSC only tuner?

Not sure where to ask this but here goes. I have cable but was thinking for my monitor display (no tuner of any kind) it might be useful to have an OTA ATSC tuner so if the cable goes out I can still watch local stuff. I assume stand alone units cost hundreds more than I want to spend but I often see at my local thrift store used DirecTV units, with normal OTA antenna in ports, which should fit the bill, unless they have a design which locks up all functionality without a valid account, which of course I won't be activating.

E.g. I saw a Toshiba DST3000 for $5 the other day but hesitated thinking it might be a boat anchor, and also being as old as it is I think the tuner chip is not very sensitive. There was a big leap in tuner sensitivity maybe 5-8 years ago, or so, and this unit predates that.

Remember I have zero interest in the satellite functionality of the these units but first generation ATSC terrestrial tuners weren't so good unless you had a really robust signal. I had the very first one, BTW, the RCA DCT100 maybe? Can't remember for sure the number.

Any comments from the experts as to if my plan is feasible?

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass, etc., any more than we pick the ending of a play. High fidelity means an unmodified, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original artist's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

Last edited by m. zillch; 03-11-2015 at 11:29 PM.
post #15225 of 15232 Old 03-12-2015, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Plan sounds plausible...for $5 what do you have lose...one less Starbucks coffee that week ! Might be an old tuner, but my 2007 LCD TV pulls in the same stations as my brand new LCD TV. Otherwise I would probably just go with a good old ATSC tuner, can grab them for about $30-$40.
post #15226 of 15232 Old 03-12-2015, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Yep, should work, although I don't think you'll get channel guide data.

FYI, see here for HD STB's: The Official AVS HDTV STB Synopsis!

Xbox Live: oktober rust | Mii: 5207 2388 9861 4135 | Steam ID: detroit820 | Origin ID: oktoberrust11
post #15227 of 15232 Old 03-12-2015, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
You won't get guide data, but it will work, and one thing better than the current DirecTV OTA tuners is that you can pull in any channel including those not in DirecTV's database. I believe that to get it to work the DirecTV card needs to have been removed before you boot it up, or it will try to connect to the satellites, etc.

SMK
post #15228 of 15232 Old 03-12-2015, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Threads merged.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #15229 of 15232 Old 03-12-2015, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Thank you for merging the threads, DrDon. Also the mention that some units are known to not work if they have no smartcard inserted could be a problem for me. I don't care about the guide data but having no functionality at all would mean my long trek lugging a useless box from the used store, even if it was cheap, would be for naught. [I don't have a car so lugging it all they way home is more of an issue than it might be for others]

I plan on using my Harmony 700 remote since these used units I see there typically have no remote nor any other accessories.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass, etc., any more than we pick the ending of a play. High fidelity means an unmodified, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original artist's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..
post #15230 of 15232 Old 03-13-2015, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I have (still have in the "old equipment box") one of these Toshibas. You can probably still find the info but they ran HOT HOT HOT. I actually burned my fingers on mine before I started to keep a case fan blowing through the top 24/7. I also had to get mine replace once under warranty (burned out main board). ATSC tuners aren't that expensive. Curious, what vintage TV do you have with no built in tuner?

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-003-_-Product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...CE&PageSize=30

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
Not sure where to ask this but here goes. I have cable but was thinking for my monitor display (no tuner of any kind) it might be useful to have an OTA ATSC tuner so if the cable goes out I can still watch local stuff. I assume stand alone units cost hundreds more than I want to spend but I often see at my local thrift store used DirecTV units, with normal OTA antenna in ports, which should fit the bill, unless they have a design which locks up all functionality without a valid account, which of course I won't be activating.

E.g. I saw a Toshiba DST3000 for $5 the other day but hesitated thinking it might be a boat anchor, and also being as old as it is I think the tuner chip is not very sensitive. There was a big leap in tuner sensitivity maybe 5-8 years ago, or so, and this unit predates that.

Remember I have zero interest in the satellite functionality of the these units but first generation ATSC terrestrial tuners weren't so good unless you had a really robust signal. I had the very first one, BTW, the RCA DCT100 maybe? Can't remember for sure the number.

Any comments from the experts as to if my plan is feasible?

Last edited by rakstr; 03-13-2015 at 07:10 AM.
post #15231 of 15232 Old 03-13-2015, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post
they ran HOT HOT HOT. I actually burned my fingers on mine before I started to keep a case fan blowing through the top 24/7
Good to know. That would bug me. Glad I didn't waste $5 .
Quote:
.... ATSC tuners aren't that expensive.
The first one you listed has USB out only, I need HD component ideally [it can be recorded to my Hauppauge HD PVR1212, if need be] but I would settle for HDMI, plus full functionality without needing a computer there.
The second gets lots of bad reviews at Newegg about reliability, etc..: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-003-_-Product But the price is reasonable, true.
The third is just a search string and the majority of "ATSC tuners" in the world are actually down converters for people with old NTSC TVs (using composite and RF outs only, not HD). But thanks.
Quote:
Curious, what vintage TV do you have with no built in tuner?
Panasonic PTAE8000.

Last edited by m. zillch; 03-13-2015 at 12:33 PM.
post #15232 of 15232 Old 03-13-2015, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I was just providing examples ro show the cost was not that high, didn't mean them to be recommendations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
Good to know. That would bug me. Glad I didn't waste $5 .

The first one you listed has USB out only, I need HD component ideally [it can be recorded to my Hauppauge HD PVR1212, if need be] but I would settle for HDMI, plus full functionality without needing a computer there.
The second gets lots of bad reviews at Newegg about reliability, etc..: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-003-_-Product
The third is just a search string and the majority of "ATSC tuners" in the world are actually down converters for people with old NTSC TVs (using composite and RF outs only, not HD). But thanks.

Panasonic PTAE8000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming