DirecTV HDTV - Page 509 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 41Likes
post #15241 of 15265 Unread 05-15-2015, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Sorry but I kept it in for a while and the cork just popped. YUP, it's the protection plan! A simple thing to fix, nobody take it. Think about it. It's their equipment that is required so they can deliver the service for which you pay. Without the equipment, there is no service to sell. It's all THEIR equipment, they send you what they like, they try to corner you into lengthy contracts, and in the end, the equipment is STILL theirs with no other use. On top of that, you pay a monthly fee already for use the THEIR equipment.

Do you directly pay insurance on the airplane you fly? How about the bus or the train? I know, everyone does it but at some point you've got to take a stand

PLEASE, I know all the things you supposedly get like "free" equipment upgrades,... so I'm not looking for someone to explain the plan or get me to believe it's a good thing. I just needed to release

THX, all better now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15242 of 15265 Unread 05-15-2015, 12:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
What problems were/are you having? I've been getting a lot of pixelation of late.
The last two nights while watching the LA Dodger broadcasts I've had audio dropouts and stuttering, it's all random and does not affect the video at all and doesn't happen for extended periods of time. It's only happening on that channel so I thought maybe it was a signal issue on whatever transponder was being used to transmit the signal. When I say "others' have seen the problem I really mean only one other person has responded(MLB thread - DBSTalk) but since he has seen it I'm guessing(hoping) that others saw it as well. Bottom line, it seems at this point anyway, that it's a source issue and not at the receiving end.

As far as pixelation, I see it when they do a closeup of someone moving quickly but that's not something new, I think a lot of that type of anomaly is highly dependant on the source signal, whether the channel is actually sending a good signal to begin with.

Where have you been seeing the problem?
post #15243 of 15265 Unread 05-15-2015, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

I'd also go over to DBSTALK to see what you can find.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
The last two nights while watching the LA Dodger broadcasts I've had audio dropouts and stuttering, it's all random and does not affect the video at all and doesn't happen for extended periods of time. It's only happening on that channel so I thought maybe it was a signal issue on whatever transponder was being used to transmit the signal. When I say "others' have seen the problem I really mean only one other person has responded(MLB thread - DBSTalk) but since he has seen it I'm guessing(hoping) that others saw it as well. Bottom line, it seems at this point anyway, that it's a source issue and not at the receiving end.

As far as pixelation, I see it when they do a closeup of someone moving quickly but that's not something new, I think a lot of that type of anomaly is highly dependant on the source signal, whether the channel is actually sending a good signal to begin with.

post #15244 of 15265 Unread 05-15-2015, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post
Sorry but I kept it in for a while and the cork just popped. YUP, it's the protection plan! A simple thing to fix, nobody take it. Think about it. It's their equipment that is required so they can deliver the service for which you pay. Without the equipment, there is no service to sell. It's all THEIR equipment, they send you what they like, they try to corner you into lengthy contracts, and in the end, the equipment is STILL theirs with no other use. On top of that, you pay a monthly fee already for use the THEIR equipment.

Do you directly pay insurance on the airplane you fly? How about the bus or the train? I know, everyone does it but at some point you've got to take a stand

PLEASE, I know all the things you supposedly get like "free" equipment upgrades,... so I'm not looking for someone to explain the plan or get me to believe it's a good thing. I just needed to release

THX, all better now!
I couldn't agree with you more - - but what choice do we have? I had to have Directv come out and fix a problem with the Genie we have here in the states (Colorado). I was really pissed at the "insurance" plan as I spend a lot of $$$ with Directv. But the alternative was a $50.00 service call and the chance that they'd have to come back again. For what it's worth, they responded the very same day - - early afternoon.

Not a great way to endure yourself to loyal customers. If my girlfriend didn't object, I'd look at sh*t canning Directv and going with Comcast for two years - - even though their customer service is horrible. It's all a crap shoot.
rakstr likes this.

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
Wyred4Sound MMC-7 Channel Amplifier, 221wpc
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR)
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
post #15245 of 15265 Unread 05-15-2015, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 739
Quote:

I haven't paid attention to any specific channel, maybe HGTV, ID, Science, or one of the History Channels when they aren't showing that redneck sh*t. AMC froze 2 or 3 times two weeks ago during Mad Men. The Sun has been really pissed off lately, so that may be causing some of the problems.

Last edited by Aliens; 05-15-2015 at 01:20 PM.
post #15246 of 15265 Unread 05-15-2015, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 98
So if the protection plan is $5.00 a month that's $60.00 for a year right? How other do subscribers use the "plan"? I think that even better is the fact that although it is used for "protection" how often does a subscriber call a service person out? So a one time visit for 50.00 to correct an issue is cheaper than the plan.
post #15247 of 15265 Unread 05-15-2015, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post
So if the protection plan is $5.00 a month that's $60.00 for a year right? How other do subscribers use the "plan"? I think that even better is the fact that although it is used for "protection" how often does a subscriber call a service person out? So a one time visit for 50.00 to correct an issue is cheaper than the plan.
The PP is well worth the money. We have used it for problems with various DTV receivers, exterior cables and dish misalignment due to weather.

Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750, Denon AVR 1912, DirecTV HD DVR Genie HR44, DirecTV AM21 OTA Rcvr, Panasonic Blu-ray DMP-BD65, Toshiba HD DVD A20, Infinity Alpha Speakers 50's, 20's, 10's, 37c, Valodyne VRP-1000 Sub, Panamax M4300-PM, Harmony Ultimate One Remote, Monoprice AV Cables
post #15248 of 15265 Unread 05-15-2015, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I must be fortunate as I have had one service call in a ten year period since subscribing to DirecTV. I am the only viewer so there is no issue when the "TV doesn't work" statement from the significant other comes up!
post #15249 of 15265 Unread 05-15-2015, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I think the problem is with time warners feed as I was having the same problems.

Loren
post #15250 of 15265 Unread 05-15-2015, 04:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsollee View Post
I think the problem is with time warners feed as I was having the same problems.
Excellent, for me anyhow as it tells me I don't have a reception problem.

Thanks!
post #15251 of 15265 Unread 05-15-2015, 05:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post
It's $8 per month. For me, since I only have the service for the MLB-EI package along with the cheapest programming lineup I could get away with(Family - $30 per month) adding $8 is a considerable amount. What I've done in the past is just add it when I know I'm having an issue and then remove it when I don't need it. In over a decade, I've had to use the service maybe 4 or 5 times so paying per month is not cost effective for me. I've also had a dish moved without even having the plan. Bottom line for me, not really a good use of $8 per month, especially when I can turn it on and off when I need it.
post #15252 of 15265 Unread 05-15-2015, 05:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I haven't paid attention to any specific channel, maybe HGTV, ID, Science, or one of the History Channels when they aren't showing that redneck sh*t. AMC froze 2 or 3 times two weeks ago during Mad Men. The Sun has been really pissed off lately, so that may be causing some of the problems.

Yeah, I don't get any of those channels so I wouldn't be able to check to see how they look here.

Is it the right time of year for sun issues? I thought that was around October when things got dicey? Maybe you mean it's flaring up recently? That could cause issues too I suppose.
post #15253 of 15265 Unread 06-10-2015, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone else need to turn their already on receiver (HR-44) off and turn it on again to receive a signal? This isn't always the case, maybe 50/50. I took it out of standby to see if this would make a difference and it hasn't.
post #15254 of 15265 Unread 06-10-2015, 10:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Does anyone else need to turn their already on receiver (HR-44) off and turn it on again to receive a signal? This isn't always the case, maybe 50/50. I took it out of standby to see if this would make a difference and it hasn't.
I've never had that happen with mine. Have you checked the usual suspects, electrical connections(signal path and AC power) and see if the dish and LNB are clear of any obstructions?

BTW, how do you put it into Standby, isn't it always On?
post #15255 of 15265 Unread 06-10-2015, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I've never had that happen with mine. Have you checked the usual suspects, electrical connections(signal path and AC power) and see if the dish and LNB are clear of any obstructions?

BTW, how do you put it into Standby, isn't it always On?
I shouldn't have said standby. Power Saving Mode. When turned to on, after 4 hours of non-user use the receiver shuts down. I've checked everything; even reset it several times. It could easily be a handshake issue, that hasn't happened before, between my Oppo 103D and the HR-44, and by turning it on/off resets things.
post #15256 of 15265 Unread 06-10-2015, 11:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I shouldn't have said standby. Power Saving Mode. When turned to on, after 4 hours of non-user use the receiver shuts down. I've checked everything; even reset it several times. It could easily be a handshake issue, that hasn't happened before, between my Oppo 103D and the HR-44, and by turning it on/off resets things.
I've never used that Power Saving Mode, but I have had handshake issues between the HR44 and the 103D myself recently where the HR44 does not see the final sink device(Display) and connects at a lower resolution such as 480p. I have to turn my Denon X4000 Off then back On for it all to sync up correctly. It never used to do this in the past, and it doesn't do it with the TiVo Roamio I have connected to the HR44. And, the HR44 is the only device that's had any sort of firmware/software update during this time so that's where I lay the blame. But it doesn't surprise me as DirecTV DVRs always seem to have some quirkiness, it's as if it's a built-in feature, the ability to act oddly at times.
post #15257 of 15265 Unread 06-10-2015, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
...DirecTV DVRs always seem to have some quirkiness, it's as if it's a built-in feature, the ability to act oddly at times.
post #15258 of 15265 Unread 06-10-2015, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Do you have the DirecTV screen saver on the screen - or is it just totally dark, void of any picture and audio?

If the later, it's almost certainly a HDMI Handshake issue which is most likely caused by the HR44 entering into Power Saving Mode. Turning it off and on re-establishes the handshake.
post #15259 of 15265 Unread 06-18-2015, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Anyone have audio issues with HR44 and recorded shows? Several times a week after fast forwarding or after a pause the sound gets squeaky and crackles just for a second or two then normalizes.

Also anyone know when the HR 44 will get 4k content on Sony tvs?
post #15260 of 15265 Unread 06-18-2015, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Anyone have audio issues with HR44 and recorded shows? Several times a week after fast forwarding or after a pause the sound gets squeaky and crackles just for a second or two then normalizes.

Also anyone know when the HR 44 will get 4k content on Sony tvs?
post #15261 of 15265 Unread 06-18-2015, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 322

Star56 and Keenan like this.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
post #15262 of 15265 Unread 06-19-2015, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Hannah looks exactly like Dani Daniels

This week after 17 years with DirecTV I moved on. Last 3 years they kept me with FREE sunday ticket max. No deal this year, so I gave up my DirecTV/FIOS "triple play". Went with Optimum Triple Play and will save $800/yr and have a better package. Was worried about PQ difference. Quickly put to rest. Optimum PQ is no different in my area than DirecTV. No contract. 2 year guaranteed price.
post #15263 of 15265 Unread 06-23-2015, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
After 10+ years with DirecTV, I just did the same thing as BroadwayBlues. However, I'm not moving to another carrier, just going with free OTA. I might consider adding Netflix, but not even sure about that yet. I was always pleased with DirecTV, but just finally got fed up with the price increases. I'm finally free!
49Merc and Steff3 like this.
post #15264 of 15265 Unread Yesterday, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone noticed what i would describe as buffering when switching to certain channels? It stutters like if you were streaming something. Ive noticed it more since the update to that 72 hour rewind. I have a genie unit HR44.
post #15265 of 15265 Unread Today, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

I believe it is caused by the processing for these boxes being pushed way over their meager limits. I can't speak directly to the HR44 but I've had opportunity to observe the HR24 across a -100 and a -500 versions (similar on the HR21 previously). From observation, it appears the HR24-500 is really struggling to do things. I notice when I'm playing and recording from the AM21, I can caused pixelation by something as simple as pressing the info key.

Personally, this is why I hate all these smart TVs, boxes, ... They are all built on the premise of "cheap". Let me build my own device and for a few dollars more I could select capable components. Unfortunately, all the DRM and other things forced upon us make this very complicated.

Would be nice to have a choice in a device we pay for but do not own but ...........

Would also be nice if we could disable things we'd never use, like 72 hour rewind and embedded banner ads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zealot9802 View Post
Has anyone noticed what i would describe as buffering when switching to certain channels? It stutters like if you were streaming something. Ive noticed it more since the update to that 72 hour rewind. I have a genie unit HR44.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming