DirecTV HDTV - Page 510 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 43Likes

post #15271 of 15274 Old Yesterday, 12:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1991 Post(s)
Liked: 1367
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_waller View Post
It is fine. You will get free equipment but will renew a two year contract when you upgrade. If you call them and say disconnect service, you will reach the customer retention department and they will be able to work out magical deals for you.
Thanx for the advice.

Only girly-men push The Red Button.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15272 of 15274 Old Yesterday, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The only reason I keep DirecTV around at this point is because I'm a DNS subscriber and get the NY national network stations and if I ever cancelled I would lose my grandfather status on that. All my recordings on my local CBS are garbled 90% of the time (flaw with the HR34 Genies), the lag between the Genie & Minis is horrendous, and don't get me started on the remote delay.

Right now my primary TV service is through Charter. I pay $160 with taxes, fcc fees, etc and that is for internet and their "Gold" package which has every movie channel they offer in it.

I highly suggest if you switch you do what I did... and buy a TiVo (preferably with a lifetime subscription). I bought my 4 tuner basic model for $449 with lifetime service last year (with a discount code from the TiVo Community forums) and used it with my OTA antenna for a long time. I finally added the CableCard in June, and I haven't looked back since.

The TiVo is an upfront expense, but any of us who have been with DirecTV long remember the days where you had to "buy" your DVRs. Keep in mind you also own your TiVo, so you can re-sell it later if you decide to switch back.
post #15273 of 15274 Old Today, 12:43 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post
The only reason I keep DirecTV around at this point is because I'm a DNS subscriber and get the NY national network stations and if I ever cancelled I would lose my grandfather status on that. All my recordings on my local CBS are garbled 90% of the time (flaw with the HR34 Genies), the lag between the Genie & Minis is horrendous, and don't get me started on the remote delay.
After much testing, the problem on the HR34 Genies is the mapping of the signal to the local "single digit" channel.

CBS for example , if you have a NYC(or LA) DirecTV account, record a program from DNS Channel 390(or 391) and record the same program on Channel 2, you will find the HR34 works fine on 390 and has the errors on channel 2 (even though on the NYC and LA accounts, it is being feed from the same CONUS feed - just remapped to 2 different channels).

Same for WNBC on NYC 392 (LA 393) and Channel 4.

There is no issue with WABC (KABC) or WNYW (KTTV), suggesting it has to do with how DirecTV is handling the 1920x1080 mapping - but it does not explain why 1920x1080 channels such as CW have no issue.

It also explains why all the reports of this on HR34 Genies across the Country for the local CBS (such as KTVR) and to a lesser extent NBC station - its something in the mapping of the station to the "local" channel.

But don't expect to find that solution on DBSTalk.com. The mods think the know all when they are actually clueless.

Last edited by GCAVS; Today at 12:52 AM.
post #15274 of 15274 Old Today, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCAVS View Post
After much testing, the problem on the HR34 Genies is the mapping of the signal to the local "single digit" channel.

CBS for example , if you have a NYC(or LA) DirecTV account, record a program from DNS Channel 390(or 391) and record the same program on Channel 2, you will find the HR34 works fine on 390 and has the errors on channel 2 (even though on the NYC and LA accounts, it is being feed from the same CONUS feed - just remapped to 2 different channels).

Same for WNBC on NYC 392 (LA 393) and Channel 4.

There is no issue with WABC (KABC) or WNYW (KTTV), suggesting it has to do with how DirecTV is handling the 1920x1080 mapping - but it does not explain why 1920x1080 channels such as CW have no issue.

It also explains why all the reports of this on HR34 Genies across the Country for the local CBS (such as KTVR) and to a lesser extent NBC station - its something in the mapping of the station to the "local" channel.

But don't expect to find that solution on DBSTalk.com. The mods think the know all when they are actually clueless.
They know enough to get an HR44 to replace their 34s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming