DirecTV HDTV - Page 514 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 82Likes

post #15391 of 15418 Old 08-26-2015, 01:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked: 875
Definitely try for the HR44, blazingly fast compared to any previous DirecTV DVR I've used. Never used an HR34. I'm extremely pleased with the speed and I have never been happy with any previous DirecTV DVR, they've all basically been slugs in the speed department. UI navigation is directly comparable to the TiVo Roamio line, slight edge to the Roamio.
Ken Ross, Nayan and azz7686 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15392 of 15418 Old 08-28-2015, 01:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3377 Post(s)
Liked: 3249
Called D* yesterday for a replacement DVR under warranty. They can't guarantee what model I get, but a local dealer thinks it will likely be an HR44. We shall see.
post #15393 of 15418 Old 08-28-2015, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Called D* yesterday for a replacement DVR under warranty. They can't guarantee what model I get, but a local dealer thinks it will likely be an HR44. We shall see.

Good luck with that. They gave me another hr34 a week ago

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still
post #15394 of 15418 Old 08-28-2015, 03:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

That's too bad.

Otherwise they charge you $299 for an upgrade. I thought it was worth a shot to see what I'd get. My current HR34 is hideously slow.
post #15395 of 15418 Old 08-28-2015, 03:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I've had DTV for several yrs but have been thinking about changing to ATT UVerse. Does anyone here have any experience in the comparison of these two?
post #15396 of 15418 Old 08-28-2015, 04:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
That's too bad.

Otherwise they charge you $299 for an upgrade. I thought it was worth a shot to see what I'd get. My current HR34 is hideously slow.
Try having the DirecTV rep make a note to have the installer call you before he heads over, when he does, ask what unit he's bringing and if it's not the HR44 tell him you're not interested - make any excuse you want. DirecTV may like to believe that these units are equal, but the customer shouldn't have to accept an inferior product, DirecTV needs to work for those subscriptions and stop sending out bad product because they want to save money - it's your money, make them work for it.
post #15397 of 15418 Old 08-28-2015, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post
I've had DTV for several yrs but have been thinking about changing to ATT UVerse. Does anyone here have any experience in the comparison of these two?
Since they're owned by AT&T now I guess you won't be able to get any deals.
post #15398 of 15418 Old 08-28-2015, 08:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2092 Post(s)
Liked: 2469
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
I have been wondering about this very thing....any more recent stories on dealing with their CS?
post #15399 of 15418 Old 08-28-2015, 08:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Why not? I would think that to stay competitive, especially with a newly acquired asset, they would have to do what is needed to retain and increase subscriber count. What makes you think they won't have any deals?
post #15400 of 15418 Old 08-28-2015, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Why not? I would think that to stay competitive, especially with a newly acquired asset, they would have to do what is needed to retain and increase subscriber count. What makes you think they won't have any deals?
Because they have your business either way. (Half kidding)
ambesolman likes this.
post #15401 of 15418 Old 08-28-2015, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post
Directv had/has a slightly better HD pic, but I prefer Uverse overall.
post #15402 of 15418 Old 08-28-2015, 08:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Because they have your business either way. (Half kidding)
Okay, I see what you mean, "you can put the money in my left hand, or you can put the money in my right hand, either way you're going to pay me." If DirecTV and U-verse are your only options then I suppose you could be at a disadvantage. But there's almost always the cable option, if U-verse is available then cable would almost certainly be available as well.

And there's Dish...
post #15403 of 15418 Old 08-28-2015, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Actually there will be a lot of different deals coming down the pipeline in the coming months. New products and bundles coming.
post #15404 of 15418 Old 08-28-2015, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Definitely try for the HR44, blazingly fast compared to any previous DirecTV DVR I've used. Never used an HR34. I'm extremely pleased with the speed and I have never been happy with any previous DirecTV DVR, they've all basically been slugs in the speed department. UI navigation is directly comparable to the TiVo Roamio line, slight edge to the Roamio.
DVR is old tech thats going away sooner than people think. Directv will be a much different company now. For the better.
post #15405 of 15418 Old 08-28-2015, 09:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrda View Post
DVR is old tech thats going away sooner than people think. Directv will be a much different company now. For the better.
No doubt, in fact, Comcast is already there, but today DVR tech is the only option with DirecTV, no reason not to get the best they have.
post #15406 of 15418 Old 08-29-2015, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Quote:
Neither will the companies who own the channels they carry. I don't expect many carriage impasses or stalemates as AT&T is a MAJOR advertiser with most media groups. They certainly would not want to risk losing that income stream by demanding high carriage fees. If anything, they'll bend over to keep a top advertiser happy.
Steff3 likes this.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #15407 of 15418 Old 08-29-2015, 12:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
No doubt, in fact, Comcast is already there, but today DVR tech is the only option with DirecTV, no reason not to get the best they have.
So help this old luddite out....what recording tech is beyond a dvr at this point? Please don't say the cloud....
post #15408 of 15418 Old 08-29-2015, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
So help this old luddite out....what recording tech is beyond a dvr at this point? Please don't say the cloud....
I wonder also.

My two yr contract is almost up.
Guessing I should hold off on any renewal for a little while?
post #15409 of 15418 Old 08-29-2015, 02:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Yup, the era of the HDD-based home DVR is fading away. Comcast is pushing out their X1 system that while it has 6 tuners it has zero HDD space to store any recordings. I've had one for a few days and it feels pretty much like any other DVR, apparently it uses the coax connection for everything, not even needing an Ethernet connection to operate. Given the methodology of how it works I'm not even sure why it needs all those tuners. I suppose to support multiple connections/display within the home - one box to feed 6 locations. The tuners certainly don't seem to be needed for the old " watch one channel while recording another" system.

I much prefer my TiVo though, and I'm a little concerned that the next TiVo(which looks to be due out very soon) is going to do away with the HDD system and become cloud-based itself, I've been contemplating picking a 6-tuner model as a bit of insurance.
post #15410 of 15418 Old 08-29-2015, 11:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Man this sucks where I live. **** the ****ing cloud.
ti-triodes likes this.
post #15411 of 15418 Old Yesterday, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 24
My biggest concern is the commercials. Content providers are pushing cloud-based technology and streaming so they can control even more than they do now what you watch, and in the future how you watch it.

Cable TV started with community antennas to pull in distant OTA stations. There was a cost to the cable companies, so people had to pay for their TV. Then new stations started to provide separate content and the only way to get people to subscribe to it was that it was initially all commercial free, since people were paying for cable. Then the realization that this couldn't be self-sustaining led to almost all these stations showing commercials, except for the "premium" stations like HBO which required even more money for subscriptions. VCRs came along and people started recording things and watching at another time, zipping through commercials. There were even VCRs that could automatically scan through commercials with the push of a button and get you to the next scene. Content providers didn't like that, hence the "betamax" case. The thing was that recording with tape was so clunky that very few people were doing it. Then the DVR came along, and many more people started using them. Now something like 40% of people who watch TV use a DVR, not that they all zip through commercials, but they can if they want. So, the content providers are striking back again. You can pay for HULU or even HULU + to watch OTA at a time it's convenient for you, but you have to watch commercials and there's no way to FF through them. Even the OTA that's on demand through D* has commercials you can't forward through. This is only going to get worse. I am happy with my DVR. I also watch BDs (but even they now are so full of crap you can barely get through to watch what you want [THIS OPERATION IS PROHIBITED]), and I watch things streamed from Netflix or AP without commercials. But, that, I am sure, won't last.

SMK
49Merc likes this.
post #15412 of 15418 Old Yesterday, 10:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Yup, the era of the HDD-based home DVR is fading away. Comcast is pushing out their X1 system that while it has 6 tuners it has zero HDD space to store any recordings. I've had one for a few days and it feels pretty much like any other DVR, apparently it uses the coax connection for everything, not even needing an Ethernet connection to operate. Given the methodology of how it works I'm not even sure why it needs all those tuners. I suppose to support multiple connections/display within the home - one box to feed 6 locations. The tuners certainly don't seem to be needed for the old " watch one channel while recording another" system.

I much prefer my TiVo though, and I'm a little concerned that the next TiVo(which looks to be due out very soon) is going to do away with the HDD system and become cloud-based itself, I've been contemplating picking a 6-tuner model as a bit of insurance.
Apparently I wrong, the Comcast X1 does have a HDD. The rep said it didn't and I've read that drive-less was the big deal about these boxes(cloud-based, no HDD) but I guess that's not really the case, not yet anyway.

I'm not really sure at this point.

In any case, the future will almost certainly be a box with no local storage, how soon that happens, who knows...
post #15413 of 15418 Old Yesterday, 10:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
My biggest concern is the commercials. Content providers are pushing cloud-based technology and streaming so they can control even more than they do now what you watch, and in the future how you watch it.

Cable TV started with community antennas to pull in distant OTA stations. There was a cost to the cable companies, so people had to pay for their TV. Then new stations started to provide separate content and the only way to get people to subscribe to it was that it was initially all commercial free, since people were paying for cable. Then the realization that this couldn't be self-sustaining led to almost all these stations showing commercials, except for the "premium" stations like HBO which required even more money for subscriptions. VCRs came along and people started recording things and watching at another time, zipping through commercials. There were even VCRs that could automatically scan through commercials with the push of a button and get you to the next scene. Content providers didn't like that, hence the "betamax" case. The thing was that recording with tape was so clunky that very few people were doing it. Then the DVR came along, and many more people started using them. Now something like 40% of people who watch TV use a DVR, not that they all zip through commercials, but they can if they want. So, the content providers are striking back again. You can pay for HULU or even HULU + to watch OTA at a time it's convenient for you, but you have to watch commercials and there's no way to FF through them. Even the OTA that's on demand through D* has commercials you can't forward through. This is only going to get worse. I am happy with my DVR. I also watch BDs (but even they now are so full of crap you can barely get through to watch what you want [THIS OPERATION IS PROHIBITED]), and I watch things streamed from Netflix or AP without commercials. But, that, I am sure, won't last.

SMK
I've seen Comcast insert ads for their own products right at the end of a break, actually delaying the return to the show by just long enough to miss a line of dialog, not often, but enough that I've noticed it.
post #15414 of 15418 Old Yesterday, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked: 657
Nothing infuriates me more than when I'm just surfing the net and click on a short video just to have it make me watch a damn commercial To me, the dvr is the best thing to ever happen to TV. I'd rather watch SD and be able to FF through commercials than watch HD with them. Thankfully I have the best of both worlds.

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still
post #15415 of 15418 Old Yesterday, 08:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

So I found my replacement DVR sitting on my doorstep yesterday. Unfortunately it was another HR34. However this one seems quite a bit faster than the old one. We'll see how long that lasts.
post #15416 of 15418 Old Today, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
I've seen Comcast insert ads for their own products right at the end of a break, actually delaying the return to the show by just long enough to miss a line of dialog, not often, but enough that I've noticed it.
I am a big hockey fan and subscribe to NHL CI on D*. For a long time hockey games have had a "TV timeout," 3 times during each period lasting long enough for 3 commercials. It's convenient since I press the "slip" button 3 times, and I'm back to the game. About 5 years ago D* started inserting a fourth commercial in each period in the middle commercial break. Of course, it came back to the game after play had started. I don't know if they got neg feedback from fans or the NHL, but it only lasted about 2 or 3 weeks before it stopped.

I'd get really pissed if they start adding extra commercials again.

SMK
post #15417 of 15418 Old Today, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
I'd get really pissed if they start adding extra commercials again.
Reminds me of this story:

Quote:
"A live broadcast of the Steelers' game against the Kansas City Chiefs on Oct. 14 was delayed for up to 30 seconds during the second half when it aired on the CBS station in Pittsburgh, KDKA-TV. ...

The Pittsburgh station used [a digital manipulation] machine to allow it to add extra ads - worth thousands of dollars - during halftime. But on Oct. 14, the machine was programmed incorrectly and allowed to run into the third quarter of the game, according to Gerst.

Television viewers who watched the game on KDKA-TV while also listening to the game on the radio noticed up to a 30-second delay on the telecast."
http://amarillo.com/stories/2001/11/...l#.VeRo_flVhBc

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #15418 of 15418 Old Today, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
DTV HD PQ vs. Comcast X1 (SF Bay Area)

My buddy hates AT&T so bad that he is switching from DTV to Comcast. I told him that I thought DTV always had a better HD picture. Is that true these days?

thx

bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page