'Big Bang Theory' in HDTV on CBS - Page 100 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 184Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #2971 of 2984 Old 04-11-2015, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Dave Vaughn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Vacaville, CA
Posts: 4,539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 271
I thought this weeks episode was one of the funniest of the year. The Sheldon/Amy bit was amusing (loved the photograph) and the Leonard/Penny fight with Wil Wheaton (that boy needs to diet...holy crap!!!). As for the Howard angle, I thought it was well played, especially the part where he wants him to leave until he takes interest in him going to space and then he's more than welcome to stay. I also like how when Howard did the magic the kid said "I have to go now" and Bernadette's classic response.

This season has been very up and down and part of the reason I think was the hold out by the actors at the beginning of the year and the writers kind of lost their mojo in the delay. Hopefully next season gets back to being consistently funny.
phildaant likes this.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
My Atmos Renovation Part 1 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-1
My Atmos Renovation Part 2 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-2
Dave Vaughn is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2972 of 2984 Old 04-11-2015, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
WilliamR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 8,387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn View Post
That ship has sailed. Didn't Howard say he got the paperwork signed from his father (without meeting him) in order to own the house.
Correct.
phildaant likes this.

WilliamR is offline  
post #2973 of 2984 Old 04-13-2015, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tighr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 3,254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddR View Post
The thing with the half-brother seemed rushed and contrived. With three separate storylines going on simultaneously, no single one seemed to get enough time. New half-brother, a cup of coffee, and a couple of jokes later, he's out the door. Seemed like an odd way to bring up that character.
There are enough main characters on this show (7 now) and minor characters that a new half-brother isn't needed like it is on other shows when a regular leaves/dies. Usually when shows only have a few main characters, they need to prop up the show by adding a replacement, but in this case Howard's mom was minor so she gets replaced with a minor character. I doubt the half-brother is intended to be anything more than a one-off. We've only seen Sheldon's sister once, we've never met Sheldon's brother, we've only met Penny's dad I think twice... etc.

What I do hope (and what I've said numerous times in this thread) is this all leads to Howard eventually meeting the father face-to-face. The fact that he signed the papers without a fight, sent him a letter, let his other son know about the existence of Howard, all point to the possibility that Howard's dad is extremely contrite about what happened and may not know the right way of re-kindling a relationship with Howard... I want to see that happen.
phildaant likes this.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

tighr is offline  
post #2974 of 2984 Old Yesterday, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
WilliamR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 8,387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post
There are enough main characters on this show (7 now) and minor characters that a new half-brother isn't needed like it is on other shows when a regular leaves/dies. Usually when shows only have a few main characters, they need to prop up the show by adding a replacement, but in this case Howard's mom was minor so she gets replaced with a minor character. I doubt the half-brother is intended to be anything more than a one-off. We've only seen Sheldon's sister once, we've never met Sheldon's brother, we've only met Penny's dad I think twice... etc.

What I do hope (and what I've said numerous times in this thread) is this all leads to Howard eventually meeting the father face-to-face. The fact that he signed the papers without a fight, sent him a letter, let his other son know about the existence of Howard, all point to the possibility that Howard's dad is extremely contrite about what happened and may not know the right way of re-kindling a relationship with Howard... I want to see that happen.
I would like to see that happen to, but not sure how many funny things they can get out of a touching/sad reunion like that. Being a comedy show, could be hard to mine anything from that well.

WilliamR is offline  
post #2975 of 2984 Old Yesterday, 05:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Wetumpka, AL
Posts: 15,848
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 266
....and who would you cast as Howard's father? Charlie Sheen?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, VideoForge HDMI II, Klein K10A, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
JimP is online now  
post #2976 of 2984 Old Yesterday, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
HDMe2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kittrell, NC
Posts: 5,426
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 203
If they were going to bring in Howard's father eventually... fine... but I wouldn't want to see them do it just because the mother is gone. There's no real need for it. They'll do whatever they are going to do without my opinion, but it doesn't feel like the show needs that particular bit to me.

Further... they never showed his mother on screen, and now they never can... it would seem wrong to bring in his father and have him on screen at this point to me.

Me do not have signature.
Where I am when I'm not here!
HDMe2 is offline  
post #2977 of 2984 Old Yesterday, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
tomhunter8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 975
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
....and who would you cast as Howard's father? Charlie Sheen?
Ringo Starr.
JimP and cube799 like this.
tomhunter8 is offline  
post #2978 of 2984 Old Today, 03:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
WilliamR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 8,387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post
If they were going to bring in Howard's father eventually... fine... but I wouldn't want to see them do it just because the mother is gone. There's no real need for it. They'll do whatever they are going to do without my opinion, but it doesn't feel like the show needs that particular bit to me.

Further... they never showed his mother on screen, and now they never can... it would seem wrong to bring in his father and have him on screen at this point to me.
They did show her walking by the open kitchen door so we "saw" her but not her face.
phildaant likes this.

WilliamR is offline  
post #2979 of 2984 Old Today, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
NickTheGreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 2,068
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 136
I'd be quite surprised if they introduced this half brother and never brought it up again.

I mean, if you were Howard, and knew a guy that could find your father, wouldn't you be a little curious?
phildaant likes this.
NickTheGreat is online now  
post #2980 of 2984 Unread Today, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
phildaant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: An Ant Farm
Posts: 3,100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
I'd be quite surprised if they introduced this half brother and never brought it up again.

I mean, if you were Howard, and knew a guy that could find your father, wouldn't you be a little curious?
And they like each other in that episode!
phildaant is online now  
post #2981 of 2984 Unread Today, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hooked01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,434
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
I'd be quite surprised if they introduced this half brother and never brought it up again.

I mean, if you were Howard, and knew a guy that could find your father, wouldn't you be a little curious?

Well, Howard also had the letter from his father stored away in his closet for many years without opening it. And when it was opened and the others knew the contents, he still didn't want to know what it said. I think it was the fear of confirmation that his father really didn't want him that kept him from reading it. The same could still apply with his brother. Especially since the dad seems to be actively involved in his brother's life. That would make the rejection doubly painful.
phildaant likes this.
hooked01 is online now  
post #2982 of 2984 Unread Today, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
HDMe2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kittrell, NC
Posts: 5,426
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
They did show her walking by the open kitchen door so we "saw" her but not her face.
Yeah... but that's all. If they showed his father that same amount, that would be fine. But I don't think they need to replace his barely seen mother with a barely seen father. It would just be a reminder of the actress that they all liked who is no longer around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
I'd be quite surprised if they introduced this half brother and never brought it up again.

I mean, if you were Howard, and knew a guy that could find your father, wouldn't you be a little curious?
I agree on the casting... unlikely they don't do something else with that... then again, they did that episode with the veterinarian and Raj and never showed that girl again...

Meanwhile... Howard already "knows a guy" who can find his father... the lawyer who had him sign the papers to the house title transfer. That was Howard's chance to meet his father if he really wanted to... and he already passed on that one.

Me do not have signature.
Where I am when I'm not here!
HDMe2 is offline  
post #2983 of 2984 Unread Today, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hooked01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,434
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Maybe Howard's dad will end up being the disembodied voice of the newly hired doorman at Sheldon and Leonard's building.
phildaant likes this.
hooked01 is online now  
post #2984 of 2984 Unread Today, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
phildaant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: An Ant Farm
Posts: 3,100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post
Maybe Howard's dad will end up being the disembodied voice of the newly hired doorman at Sheldon and Leonard's building.
Or the elevator repair man!
phildaant is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
The Big Bang Theory The Complete Fifth Season

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off