'Big Bang Theory' in HDTV on CBS - Page 114 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
First ... 112  113  114
HDTV Programming > 'Big Bang Theory' in HDTV on CBS
hooked01's Avatar hooked01 02:05 PM 05-06-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post
This episode harkens back to some of my criticism from the early seasons where episodes just sort of trail off, not ending with any kind of resolution. The guys get into the theater, and nothing more is ever said about Sheldon being a jerk in line, no consequences.
I was expecting Sheldon's tirade to get them all kicked out of the theatre or cause a massive riot to ruin the night after standing in line for all that time.

WilliamR's Avatar WilliamR 01:39 PM 05-07-2016
Awesome episode. Stewart was awesome. Just to many funny moments with him.
dattier's Avatar dattier 04:19 PM 05-07-2016
The biography for Simon Helberg at imdb.com describes him as the "[o]nly male cast member of The Big Bang Theory who is a father."  Is the word "male" necessary in that sentence?  Some female people are fathers from an earlier part of their lives when they were men, but I'm pretty darn sure that that isn't the case for any of the women in BBT's cast.
HDMe2's Avatar HDMe2 07:24 PM 05-07-2016
The line business hit home for me... a story my mother told about her father, my grandfather, who was in line once... and someone asked him if he minded if they cut in front of him. His response? He said that IF they asked every person behind him if they minded, and if none of them minded, then yes they could get in front of him. The person chose to go to the end of the line instead.
blitzen102's Avatar blitzen102 01:01 PM 05-09-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier View Post
The biography for Simon Helberg at imdb.com describes him as the "[o]nly male cast member of The Big Bang Theory who is a father."  Is the word "male" necessary in that sentence?  Some female people are fathers from an earlier part of their lives when they were men, but I'm pretty darn sure that that isn't the case for any of the women in BBT's cast.
Substitute "parent" for "father". Feel better?
dattier's Avatar dattier 08:23 AM 05-11-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzen102 View Post
Substitute "parent" for "father".
"Male" + "parent" is an improvement over the redundant "male" + "father" but is wordier than simply "father."  Just "parent" would be inaccurate, because Mayim Bialik has two children.
Quote:
Feel better?
Did you think it made me feel bad?  That's silly.
Cryptic1911 08:35 AM 05-11-2016
Ugh, why is that even relevant? Seems like we can't go anywhere without someone shoving the latest gender issue craze down our throats these days. If that's your thing, that's fine, but this really isn't the place or the thread for it
rdclark's Avatar rdclark 08:52 AM 05-11-2016
It's not a gender issue. It's bad writing by some contributor to IMDB. Agree that it's inconsequential, particularly here. Take it up with IMDB if it matters to you.
blitzen102's Avatar blitzen102 11:36 AM 05-11-2016
Quote:
"Male" + "parent" is an improvement over the redundant "male" + "father" but is wordier than simply "father."  Just "parent" would be inaccurate, because Mayim Bialik has two children.Did you think it made me feel bad?  That's silly.
"...only male cast member of The Big Bang Theory who is a parent." Makes perfect sense.

Not sure how it makes you feel. Or why you brought it up.
dattier's Avatar dattier 07:52 AM 05-12-2016
That now makes three of you who assumed that I cried all night and obsessed all day for weeks on end over it and don't get that I spent a couple of minutes typing a post here.  Anyone else want to pile on?
NickTheGreat's Avatar NickTheGreat 09:07 AM 05-12-2016
Quote:
That now makes three of you who assumed that I cried all night and obsessed all day for weeks on end over it and don't get that I spent a couple of minutes typing a post here.  Anyone else want to pile on?
Why are you so mad bro?

WilliamR's Avatar WilliamR 05:28 AM 05-13-2016
Awesome episode. The parts with Howard and the military talk was absolutely hilarious, especially in the car.

Also loved all the banter between Leonard's mother and father. I also liked the ending, they might be step brothers soon! Probably one of the best episodes of the season.
Cryptic1911 05:36 AM 05-13-2016
Yep, that was a good one! I agree, the car scene was great
DrLar's Avatar DrLar 06:08 AM 05-13-2016
errr that was the big shocking surprise? gimme my 30 mins back...

Worst season ending ever I think

Heck not even get to see Penny's family
RafaelSmith's Avatar RafaelSmith 06:16 AM 05-13-2016
One of their best episodes in quite sometime.

Good casting for Leonard's father.
MRM4's Avatar MRM4 09:45 AM 05-13-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post
Heck not even get to see Penny's family
They were mentioned, but not shown. And did not show the ceremony. Just an odd ending. But it was funny.
Ericglo's Avatar Ericglo 10:48 AM 05-13-2016
I didn't think it was that great. Is it a cliffhanger or what? Are they going to have a ceremony next season or just consider it done?

Of course, there were some really funny moments especially with Hirsch. The Air Force paranoia started to get old though.
WilliamR's Avatar WilliamR 11:36 AM 05-13-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
I didn't think it was that great. Is it a cliffhanger or what? Are they going to have a ceremony next season or just consider it done?

Of course, there were some really funny moments especially with Hirsch. The Air Force paranoia started to get old though.
Got old? Wow, I thought the exact opposite and was wishing they had more of it, like a helicopter coming low and them thinking its black ops or something.

Ceremony could be next year, since they are already married, its not like it will be a great moment, its the same ceremony. The cliffhanger is if Leonard and Sheldon are now going to be step brothers and the conflict their opposing families bring. Their reaction in contrast to Penny's was pretty funny.
DrLar's Avatar DrLar 12:53 PM 05-13-2016
IF they even get married, IDK how deeply religious + agnostic would work, perhaps just lovers?

I don't want to be Penny's family and miss out the dinner at the "best restaurant" in town, mmm, but hey I think Howard and Co. also missed the dinner, right?
Timokreon's Avatar Timokreon 04:47 PM 05-13-2016
Perhaps one of the best episodes (not saying much) in an otherwise horrible season. Kaley and Johnny phoned it in for the majority of the season.
Isn't next year it for this show?

I've already dropped several shows this year that I had watched for years just because how horrible the writing/acting had become. This show is real close to being deleted as well.
ChldsPlay's Avatar ChldsPlay 05:35 PM 05-13-2016
Quote:
IF they even get married, IDK how deeply religious + agnostic would work, perhaps just lovers?

I don't want to be Penny's family and miss out the dinner at the "best restaurant" in town, mmm, but hey I think Howard and Co. also missed the dinner, right?
I don't know how just lover would work better for deeply religious.
RobertR's Avatar RobertR 03:28 PM 05-14-2016
This episode made me laugh out loud several times. Good stuff.
kucharsk's Avatar kucharsk 12:31 AM 05-15-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timokreon View Post
I've already dropped several shows this year that I had watched for years just because how horrible the writing/acting had become. This show is real close to being deleted as well.
Bye!

I loved this past season - so much better than the early seasons, IMHO; I had to force myself to watch the first two seasons.
WilliamR's Avatar WilliamR 10:59 AM 05-15-2016
Quote:
Perhaps one of the best episodes (not saying much) in an otherwise horrible season. Kaley and Johnny phoned it in for the majority of the season.
Isn't next year it for this show?

Next year is the last season of their contract. There is already talks of renewals, this time a year at at a time, until it gets to expensive for them.
Timokreon's Avatar Timokreon 11:44 AM 05-15-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
Next year is the last season of their contract. There is already talks of renewals, this time a year at at a time, until it gets to expensive for them.
Perhaps that was what I remembered reading. Regardless, hopefully the show really ups their game next season.
Ericglo's Avatar Ericglo 12:12 PM 05-15-2016
Quote:
Perhaps that was what I remembered reading. Regardless, hopefully the show really ups their game next season.
You can hope all you want, but it will be more of the same. This is how sitcoms do it. They have a formula carefully honed to appeal to the widest audience and they won't deviate from that.
NickTheGreat's Avatar NickTheGreat 10:53 AM 05-16-2016
I thought it was a good episode. Not a super dramatic cliffhanger ender. But it is a sitcom . . .
phildaant's Avatar phildaant 10:07 PM 05-16-2016
Season finale already? Wow. Anyways, it was decent. The best season episode was that Star Wars one back in December 2015. OK, see you guys in the fall/autumn. :P
tighr's Avatar tighr 04:21 PM 05-17-2016
Quote:
Not to mention this show's been on 9 years, and we have several named (and unnamed) characters that have yet to be introduced. This was the first episode with Leonard's father, for example. We have never met Leonard's brother or sister. We have met Sheldon's sister, but never Sheldon's brother. We've met Penny's dad, but not her mom, brother, or sister. We don't even know what Penny's last name was prior to getting married to Leonard.
TeeJay1952's Avatar TeeJay1952 07:03 AM 05-18-2016
Yep a trip to the various "Hootervilles" will be final season.
3 weeks anticipation and 3 weeks the visit followed by 3 weeks the fallout. 8 characters. Writes itself.
Tags: The Big Bang Theory The Complete Fifth Season
First ... 112  113  114

Up