'Big Bang Theory' in HDTV on CBS - Page 119 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 536Likes

post #3541 of 3557 Old 11-09-2016, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I have not seen the current episodes, we wait until they are on disc and then buy them....but I would be interested in seeing how they all do handling kids in their lives......especially Sheldon. It would keep me interest for a few more years. Think about it, Sheldon with a kid that isnt really smart, but popular....or Penny with a little Sheldon like kid. THERE is some parenting nightmares on the horizon. LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3542 of 3557 Old 11-10-2016, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 289
11/10/16 - 18:34

Chuck Lorre says a lot with so little.
dare2be likes this.

"You're Sherlock Holmes, wear the damn hat!" - Watson to Sherlock
Sherlock - The Abominable Bride - 1/01/16
Mr. Video
My Geek Images
post #3543 of 3557 Old 11-10-2016, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 524
It would be a sitcom about a Texas family with a weird genius kid, a religious mom, an alcoholic dad, and a couple of teen siblings, set in the early 90s. It seems viable to me, depending on the casting.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #3544 of 3557 Old 11-11-2016, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 218
As much as I thought some of the lines last night were pretty funny. The whole notion that Sheldon would try to seduce Amy to have a baby and her refusing to cooperate is the complete opposite for both characters since the show began. I know they're trying to change Sheldon, make him a bit more mature. I guess both basically swapping roles was supposed to be part of the joke. But that was over the top IMO.
post #3545 of 3557 Old 11-11-2016, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I actually started tuning out and started browsing on my computer during last nights episode. If there is a winter break, I may not even pick it up when it comes back on.
post #3546 of 3557 Old 11-11-2016, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM4 View Post
As much as I thought some of the lines last night were pretty funny. The whole notion that Sheldon would try to seduce Amy to have a baby and her refusing to cooperate is the complete opposite for both characters since the show began. I know they're trying to change Sheldon, make him a bit more mature. I guess both basically swapping roles was supposed to be part of the joke. But that was over the top IMO.
I feel for people trying to make a show when half the viewers want change and growth from the characters while others want everything to be like it always was.

Sheldon's belief that he would produce superior offspring is a long-established part of his character. Now he has proof, he thinks, that Amy is indeed the proper partner to create that offspring. His willingness to employ the tropes of popular culture in pursuit of goals is also established. I didn't see the resultant comedy bit as violating established characterization.

Whether it was actually funny is a different question.
Dave Vaughn and dare2be like this.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #3547 of 3557 Old 11-11-2016, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1432 Post(s)
Liked: 616
rd is correct. In one of the first Amy episodes, they were going to "gift" mankind with their offspring until Penny talked Sheldon out of it.

Now Raj is trying to date the cleaning lady. Just send him back to India.

Current projector - JVC RS25 and Marantz VP15S1
Future projector - pre-ordered new JVC from AVScience
post #3548 of 3557 Old 11-11-2016, 11:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Raj and the cleaning lady is fine... but what was disappointing was having Raj be embarrassed to admit he was dating (or wanted to date) the cleaning lady. She should have been quite a bit more pissed off than she was about that. Raj shoots himself in the foot quite often, but usually not in this kind of manner where he comes off like an ass.

The Doctor... the Original, you might say!
Where I am when I'm not here!
post #3549 of 3557 Old 11-13-2016, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked: 954
Quote:
I saw it differently. I think it went right with Sheldon's desires and what they have shown since the series started. When he realizes he could potentially create the next step in human evolution because his kid would be so advanced and perfect that he would do ANYTHING to get that kid created. He would never have sex for sex, but to create the next step in humans he would be all over that.

post #3550 of 3557 Old 11-13-2016, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked: 1082
I rather liked this week's episode...not great, but funny nonetheless.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
My Atmos Renovation Part 1 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-1
My Atmos Renovation Part 2 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-2
post #3551 of 3557 Old 11-14-2016, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
I rather liked this week's episode...not great, but funny nonetheless.
I thought Raj was rather funny (which is usually NOT the case for me). But hiding the cleaning lady was kind of weird/awkward and didn't make sense to me, but he did have me laughing a lout during this one.
phildaant likes this.

post #3552 of 3557 Old 11-21-2016, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I didn't find anything funny about the latest episode. I didn't even chuckle during this one. Felt more like they were just telling stories and not comedy. Disappointed.

post #3553 of 3557 Old 11-21-2016, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
I thought Raj was rather funny (which is usually NOT the case for me). But hiding the cleaning lady was kind of weird/awkward and didn't make sense to me, but he did have me laughing a lout during this one.
He was hiding her because he was afraid his friends would think less of him by "dating" a cleaning lady. I know it's cliche, but Raj's family is rich which makes it ironic.
post #3554 of 3557 Old 11-21-2016, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
He was hiding her because he was afraid his friends would think less of him by "dating" a cleaning lady. I know it's cliche, but Raj's family is rich which makes it ironic.
That doesn't make it ironic, it makes it logical that Raj acted how he did. Especially when you consider the caste system.
post #3555 of 3557 Old 11-21-2016, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzen102 View Post
That doesn't make it ironic, it makes it logical that Raj acted how he did. Especially when you consider the caste system.
Agreed. It's somewhat looked down in the US, but very much so in a country like India.
post #3556 of 3557 Old 11-23-2016, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 455
IF the story was Raj hiding her from his family... that would have made more sense. I could see him being nervous about that... because of his family being rich, and the caste system.

But hiding her from his friends makes zero sense. It's not like he has been dating rich/affluent girls anyway... and Penny was a waitress and nobody had issues with her being accepted into the group. Raj himself was so inept for the first several years of the show too, he should be happy to be able to have relationships...

That's why it made no sense to me, and kind of made him seem like an ass. Being scared of how his family might react would be one thing... that could be plausible and wouldn't reflect as poorly on Raj as it does being ashamed to tell his friends.

The Doctor... the Original, you might say!
Where I am when I'm not here!
post #3557 of 3557 Old Today, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

It felt like a throwback to the comedy of the 80s.

or

It was a subtle statement about how the BBT gang has exhibited no social or political consciousness whatsoever, and how utterly unconnected they are to the real world.

or

Raj is an ass, and the show is getting ready to throw him under the bus.

In any case, I found the whole premise... deplorable.
Ericglo likes this.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
The Big Bang Theory The Complete Fifth Season