'Big Bang Theory' in HDTV on CBS - Page 126 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 666Likes

post #3751 of 3762 Old 06-26-2017, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
The entire show is not a laugh track. They may add in some laughs or something but its not like every moment is a laugh track.
I think people rag on BBT's Laugh track for that reason. It's too often and maybe not as funny as the producer wants you to think.

I mean, most of the best sitcoms of all time have laugh tracks: Seinfeld, Cheers, Friends, etc. Probably sitcoms without laugh tracks would be a very short and lousy list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3752 of 3762 Old 06-26-2017, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
I mean, most of the best sitcoms of all time have laugh tracks: Seinfeld, Cheers, Friends, etc. Probably sitcoms without laugh tracks would be a very short and lousy list.
Obviously only true if you disqualify all single-camera comedies as "sitcoms," since most of the all-time great examples had no laugh tracks (from Arrested Development to The Office to Modern Family to Parks & Rec and on and on).

I'm sure there are more recent examples, but I remember when the network insisted on adding a laugh track to Sports Night, and how that turned into a sort of Waterloo for the whole idea of eliminating dubbed laughter from shows that never had a live audience.

BBT, of course, does have a studio audience, and I think the laugh track -- and the necessity of sweetening the track to compensate for live-audience fatigue and loss of the element of surprise through multiple re-takes -- is legitimate.

We here on the Internet sometimes forget that comedy has a strong communal element, and it functions differently when experienced live as part of a group. Three-camera sitcoms with their studio audiences are meant to tap into that head-space, which is why there's almost always some bit of slapstick or other physical comedy involved. Laugh tracks are intended just as much to help viewers feel part of a group as they are as cues for when to laugh.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #3753 of 3762 Old 06-26-2017, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
Obviously only true if you disqualify all single-camera comedies as "sitcoms," since most of the all-time great examples had no laugh tracks (from Arrested Development to The Office to Modern Family to Parks & Rec and on and on).

I'm sure there are more recent examples, but I remember when the network insisted on adding a laugh track to Sports Night, and how that turned into a sort of Waterloo for the whole idea of eliminating dubbed laughter from shows that never had a live audience.

BBT, of course, does have a studio audience, and I think the laugh track -- and the necessity of sweetening the track to compensate for live-audience fatigue and loss of the element of surprise through multiple re-takes -- is legitimate.

We here on the Internet sometimes forget that comedy has a strong communal element, and it functions differently when experienced live as part of a group. Three-camera sitcoms with their studio audiences are meant to tap into that head-space, which is why there's almost always some bit of slapstick or other physical comedy involved. Laugh tracks are intended just as much to help viewers feel part of a group as they are as cues for when to laugh.
Agreed. I purposely left single camera comedies off my list.

My MIL is the perfect example of what you're saying. She'll just watch Raymond or Seinfeld or what have you, stone faced sober until the laugh track. Then laugh long and loud. No laugh track means no response from her.

Odd really

post #3754 of 3762 Old 06-26-2017, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
M*A*S*H was first shown in Britain without a laugh track!!! and now when I see it, here in the USA, I hate the canned laughter. :-(
post #3755 of 3762 Old 06-26-2017, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I find that most sitcoms with laugh tracks are scripted to include a lot of one-liners and other short jokes as excuses to insert laughter, while those without laugh tracks are written to get more of the comedy from the plot development and not to depend on yuks (and to underplay the absence of recorded audience reactions).

As a result, if an episode is rerun not long after I've seen it (within, say, several months), I'll still remember the plot but will have forgotten the jokes, so normally I don't have to go as long before re-watching an episode of a laugh-tracked sitcom in order to enjoy seeing the same episode again as with a sitcom that has no laugh track.

That's independent of which one I enjoyed more on first viewing, of course.  I'm not taking sides in favor of laugh tracks here; you can easily take my observation above as evidence that sitcoms without them make a greater impression on me.

Last edited by dattier; 06-26-2017 at 02:03 PM.
post #3756 of 3762 Old Today, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked: 424
All I'm going to say about tonight's episode (9/25/17) is: Oh-Oh!

BTW, IIRC it is 20:30 in length.
phildaant likes this.

"You're Sherlock Holmes, wear the damn hat!" - Watson to Sherlock
Sherlock - The Abominable Bride - 1/01/16
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos
post #3757 of 3762 Old Today, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
All I'm going to say about tonight's episode (9/25/17) is: Oh-Oh!

BTW, IIRC it is 20:30 in length.
Also, Young Sheldon pilot episode after it. I will check it out, but am not expecting it to be good. Is anyone else doing the same?
post #3758 of 3762 Old Today, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
Also, Young Sheldon pilot episode after it. I will check it out, but am not expecting it to be good. Is anyone else doing the same?
I will check it out, too. Likewise, my expectations are very low.
phildaant likes this.
post #3759 of 3762 Old Today, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzen102 View Post
I will check it out, too. Likewise, my expectations are very low.
Its previews didn't even look good.
post #3760 of 3762 Old Today, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
It's not bad. I'll watch a few more episodes to determine if I will stick with it or not. But that won't occur for a month.

post #3761 of 3762 Old Today, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

For Canadian viewers, the 5.1 audio is going to sound a little weird: tunnel effect?

UPDATE: The 5.1 audio stream is messed up: L ch contains the C ch; R ch contains the LFE; C ch contains LS; LFE ch contains RS, LS ch contains LT (Left total) and RS ch contains RT. I do not know if Canada has a fixed version. I didn't discover this until too late to see.

Last edited by mrvideo; Today at 10:55 AM.
post #3762 of 3762 Old Today, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2175 Post(s)
Liked: 1066
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
It's not bad. I'll watch a few more episodes to determine if I will stick with it or not. But that won't occur for a month.
Have you seen the episode?

Current projector - JVC RS25 and Marantz VP15S1
Future projector - pre-ordered new JVC from AVScience
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
The Big Bang Theory The Complete Fifth Season

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page