post #541 of 2715 Old 12-10-2008, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee View Post

IMO of the four male leads, Leonard is the least funny and when he was the focus of the story its was kind of weak.

That is usually when Sheldon has his funniest moments though. I always hate the show when it is all about Sheldon. Sheldon is the funniest character but sometimes is over used to a point that it isn't funny. I agree that this week's show seemed to be one of the worst of the season so far. The show is at it's best when all 5 of the characters are used. Lately it has only been the main 3 characters which I find is not as entertaining.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2715 Old 12-10-2008, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee View Post

IMO of the four male leads, Leonard is the least funny and when he was the focus of the story its was kind of weak.

I think all four have their strengths and are used appropriately. Typically Leonard is used to drive the story line. He is the only one who appears to be growing on a social level (or even has a desire to grow).

As such his involvement is often more along the lines of becoming of age versus performing a comical bit. After-all that is exactly what he is trying to outgrow. During the last episode when Penny was schooling him (she even called him sweetie a few times like he was a young child) about relationships was a great example. His disbelief that his feelings had any importance to his current relationship wasn't Sheldon's constantly knocking on Penny's door but at the same time I found it rather humorous thinking back to that age (luckily I wasn't quite as old as Leonard ).

Obviously viewers enjoy different aspects of the show differently. I tend to enjoy the story line (character development) more so than the pure humor. I found the funniest moment of the last episode was Penny's expression during the entire time Leonard was trying to explain Penny to his girlfriend. She just stood there smiling, enjoying every moment he struggled.
post #543 of 2715 Old 12-10-2008, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrainwater View Post

I agree that this week's show seemed to be one of the worst of the season so far.

I agree, but that might have something to do with me not liking the new Stephanie character. I just don't find her to add all that much dynamic to the show. The Leslie Winkle character, on the other hand, actually offered something. I guess the writer's haven't figured out (or haven't yet shown us) a reason to have the Stephanie character on the show.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #544 of 2715 Old 12-10-2008, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

I guess the writer's haven't figured out (or haven't yet shown us) a reason to have the Stephanie character on the show.

I disagree. You might not like the reason (enjoy the story line) but I think it's fairly clear. She is an outsider (not extremely intelligent yet grossly under matured) which by default prevents her from being as funny and she is there to mine how they interact with the real world. With a side order of Leonard slowly gaining the social skills to join that world.

The further Leonard joins the real world the more contrast they can play between himself and the rest of the gang. One day I can even see him joining the other team. So much so that perhaps Penny will let him move in.
post #545 of 2715 Old 12-10-2008, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I agree, but that might have something to do with me not liking the new Stephanie character. I just don't find her to add all that much dynamic to the show. The Leslie Winkle character, on the other hand, actually offered something. I guess the writer's haven't figured out (or haven't yet shown us) a reason to have the Stephanie character on the show.

Sara Rue's three episode arc is over, and she is not in any further episodes as of now.

Do not miss the Christmas episode this coming week. I heard from someone who attended the taping that it is hilarious.

Penny in a cute little Santa hat also. Very nice.
post #546 of 2715 Old 12-10-2008, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Kaley Cuoco did a really interesting interview about The Big Bang Theory in this week's TV Guide (printed edition). You can read it here :

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_RrObyQ3Xzc...g+theory+2.jpg
post #547 of 2715 Old 12-10-2008, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott G View Post

Kaley Cuoco did a really interesting interview about The Big Bang Theory in this week's TV Guide (printed edition). You can read it here :

Thanks for the link. I had to laugh when I read...

Is there a future love connection for Penny and Leonard? I hope so-but not for a long time. [Executive Producer] Bill Pardy said this perfectly: Penny is morphing Leonard into the man she wants to marry.

After I typed this a few posts ago... although how could you really see any other ending.

Quote:

During the last episode when Penny was schooling him (she even called him sweetie a few times like he was a young child) about relationships was a great example.

Quote:

One day I can even see him joining the other team. So much so that perhaps Penny will let him move in.

post #548 of 2715 Old 12-10-2008, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Thanks for the link. I had to laugh when I read...

Is there a future love connection for Penny and Leonard? I hope so-but not for a long time. [Executive Producer] Bill Pardy said this perfectly: Penny is morphing Leonard into the man she wants to marry.

After I typed this a few posts ago... although how could you really see any other ending.

Yeah, I think the series will end (hopefully many, many seasons down the road) with Penny and Leonard getting together. I could even see them getting married. It would sort of like the series coming full circle.
post #549 of 2715 Old 12-10-2008, 04:28 PM
t0x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott G View Post

Thanks for the link, that was a good interview. The cast really seem to be a family, which is always good, because it makes the relationships more believable on screen.
post #550 of 2715 Old 12-10-2008, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

I disagree. You might not like the reason (enjoy the story line) but I think it's fairly clear. She is an outsider (not extremely intelligent yet grossly under matured) which by default prevents her from being as funny and she is there to mine how they interact with the real world. With a side order of Leonard slowly gaining the social skills to join that world.

Oh don't get me wrong, I like the actress and I like the storyline of one of the guys dating an outsider to the group, its a good idea. I just don't like how they've done it and they haven't really used her role as a smart socially-aware character to its fullest extent. They haven't found something for her to do yet that adds something to the show. And if her three episode stint is truly over, I don't feel as though Leonard has actually learned anything from the relationship yet. If the goal is for Leonard to grow as a character, what's changed?

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #551 of 2715 Old 12-10-2008, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh don't get me wrong, I like the actress and I like the storyline of one of the guys dating an outsider to the group, its a good idea. I just don't like how they've done it and they haven't really used her role as a smart socially-aware character to its fullest extent. They haven't found something for her to do yet that adds something to the show. And if her three episode stint is truly over, I don't feel as though Leonard has actually learned anything from the relationship yet. If the goal is for Leonard to grow as a character, what's changed?

From what I have heard Stephanie's storyline is over for now, and Sara Rue's episode arc is done. However, they have left it open for her to return in the future.
post #552 of 2715 Old 12-10-2008, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0x View Post

Thanks for the link, that was a good interview. The cast really seem to be a family, which is always good, because it makes the relationships more believable on screen.

They are a real together cast. A real group of friends. Here they were a couple of weeks ago when Johnny Galecki recently began starring in a new play in Los Angeles called "The Little Dog Laughed". The entire cast of The Big Bang Theory attended to lend support to Johnny.

post #553 of 2715 Old 12-10-2008, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just don't like how they've done it and they haven't really used her role as a smart socially-aware character to its fullest extent. They haven't found something for her to do yet that adds something to the show. And if her three episode stint is truly over, I don't feel as though Leonard has actually learned anything from the relationship yet. If the goal is for Leonard to grow as a character, what's changed?

Well I feel they have to walk before they can run. I don't think she could have been all that hip or she wouldn't have been attracted to him in the first place. As you could see from her fear of him breaking up with her. She was perfect for his first relationship.

As far as her contributions to the show two-fold in my eyes. She gave Sheldon someone to bounce off his socially inept actions on... such as wanting her to perform at least one rather not funny exam. What's changed? I think you'll find Leonard a little less afraid and more understanding of the opposite sex. Sort of like the last scene when he texts she should move out... I'll never have sex again... but no... she instantly texts him back and he finds he was all wrong. Just one of many lessons before he is ready for Penny!
post #554 of 2715 Old 12-11-2008, 07:59 AM

Wow from those photos they don't look so nerdy do they?

I am not a weekly supporter of the show although the few times I have seen it by switching chs I have got a real good laugh, I guess I need to remember to tune in.

Last weeks episode I saw more of and I have to admit the last 5 mins I was laughing so hard, something I hadn't done in a while from a tv show. It was the scene where Sheldon was not talking and using his laptop to talk to her and asked her for honey for his throat and the voice recong from the laptop came out as "can I have some hiney" LOL OMG for that split sec I was laughing so hard. It was a funny moment.
post #555 of 2715 Old 12-11-2008, 04:46 PM

According to IMDB, Johnny Galecki is an inch shorter than Kaley Cuoco. According to those photos someone is lying or just being very cool about angles and height.

Also as with most Hollywood actresses, yuck, she is a smoker.
post #556 of 2715 Old 12-11-2008, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Really good feature article on The Big Bang Theory here in the Wall Street Journal. See it here :

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122904206389400209.html
post #557 of 2715 Old 12-12-2008, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
It would be nice to get a gander on that original pilot.

Argee
post #558 of 2715 Old 12-12-2008, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

According to IMDB, Johnny Galecki is an inch shorter than Kaley Cuoco. According to those photos someone is lying or just being very cool about angles and height.

Also as with most Hollywood actresses, yuck, she is a smoker.

That was a picture for 2005 so maybe she has quit.
post #559 of 2715 Old 12-14-2008, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Get ready for The Big Bang Theory's first Christmas episode tommorrow, December 15. I have seen clips from the show, and it looks like a real classic. It is going to be a can't miss episode.
post #560 of 2715 Old 12-14-2008, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Do no miss Monday's Christmas episode.

From USA Today :

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Here's a fabulous Christmas gift: a holiday-themed The Big Bang Theory (CBS, tonight, 8 ET/PT) that's also one of the funniest sitcom episodes of the year, providing even more proof that this sophomore series has hit its confident stride. Battlestar's Michael Trucco provides a fine assist as a superstar, super-stud physicist who turns the heads of both Penny (Kaley Cuoco) and Leonard (Johnny Galecki) but the real star turns come from the exceptional regular cast. Cuoco and Galecki imbue their this-side-of-romantic relationship with a warmth that is too often missing in today's chilly sitcom environment, while Simon Helberg and Kunal Nayyar lend terrific Greek chorus support. As for Jim Parsons' Sheldon, who is tortured by his need for gift equivalency, let's just say that when you get to the hilarious and yet touching final scene, you may be watching Parsons' Emmy submission.
post #561 of 2715 Old 12-15-2008, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

This episode was histerical. Perhaps the best of the series. The final scene had me almost crying with laughter.
post #562 of 2715 Old 12-15-2008, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyes View Post

This episode was histerical. Perhaps the best of the series. The final scene had me almost crying with laughter.

I watched tonight's episode, actually the first time ever watching a full episode. The ending was hysterical, Sheldon's quivering lips and reaction was just so realistic, I was laughing so hard. I was thinking if the whole episode was as funny as the last 5 mins, it would be really cool. The endings seems to be really really funny, cause I caught last weeks episode for the first time and I was laughing so hard much like tonights.

I guess since I;m not a reg viewer I am sorta confused cause last week the guy with the glasses was sleeping with a brunette girl but didn't see her this week and now they are implying that he liked the blonde neighbor, so I am somewhat confused.
post #563 of 2715 Old 12-15-2008, 07:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyes View Post

I have to agree, a great episode. But, as usual, CBS needs to have all of the damn suits fired and replaced with suits that hate those ugly CBS snipes like the rest of the viewers. And to top it off by placing a snipe in the middle the the great scene in order to promote Star Trek products, was just plain arrogant. CBS now tops the A$$HOLE snipe list.

Chuck Lore needs to write a vanity card about those horrible snipes leaving turds all over his excellent show.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #564 of 2715 Old 12-15-2008, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

FanofHD -

Leonard (guy with glasses) has always had a crush on the blonde girl (Penny). They 'dated' a bit during the last episode of last season and the first episode of this season. The brunette, Stephanie, is his girlfriend...but wasn't in this episode for some reason.

Tonight's episode was classic though. Wow. That final scene with Sheldon was hilarious.

"Do you know what this means? With a healthy ovum, I can grow my own Leonard Nimoy!"

Go Texas Rangers!
Go Dallas Cowboys!
Go Newberry College!

Pastor of All Saints Lutheran Church in Mason, MI

XBOX360 and PSN gamertags - ncxcstud
post #565 of 2715 Old 12-15-2008, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

I have to agree, a great episode. But, as usual, CBS needs to have all of the damn suits fired and replaced with suits that hate those ugly CBS snipes like the rest of the viewers. And to top it off by placing a snipe in the middle the the great scene in order to promote Star Trek products, was just plain arrogant. CBS now tops the A$$HOLE snipe list.

Chuck Lore needs to write a vanity card about those horrible snipes leaving turds all over his excellent show.

Umm....Sheldon has always been obsessed about Star Trek and Spock in particular. It's not like the Star Trek point was plucked out of thin air. It's pretty essential to his character since Sheldon is VERY Spock like.

Go Texas Rangers!
Go Dallas Cowboys!
Go Newberry College!

Pastor of All Saints Lutheran Church in Mason, MI

XBOX360 and PSN gamertags - ncxcstud
post #566 of 2715 Old 12-15-2008, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Classic Big Bang Theory episode that will live on for a long time to come. The last scene was a classic series moment that will live on forever. Great stuff.
post #567 of 2715 Old 12-15-2008, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

My favorite part was when Leonard was in Penny's apartment (smoother than you)... the entire scene was great but the part when he said by the way my leg is killing me thanks for asking... and she totally breaks out of character laughing.
post #568 of 2715 Old 12-15-2008, 10:47 PM

The whole episode was great, but the last scene was hilarious.
post #569 of 2715 Old 12-15-2008, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I hope they make the new guy a semi regular. He is good for Leonard to play off of.

No one has mentioned what I thought was the best line-- Sheldon is going on and on about Nimoy and how with a healthy ovum he could clone Nimoy and Penny says "All I gave you was a napkin!"
post #570 of 2715 Old 12-15-2008, 11:31 PM

Quote:

My favorite part was when Leonard was in Penny's apartment (smoother than you)... the entire scene was great but the part when he said by the way my leg is killing me thanks for asking... and she totally breaks out of character laughing.

She seemed to laugh herself out of character several times during the gift exchange, too. It was almost as if the writers had surprised her with some of the lines and actions she had to react to -- she knew her lines but not what her co-stars would be saying or doing exactly during the take. Either that or she really was swigging rum during the couch scene and they ran out of time to re-shoot scenes.
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
The Big Bang Theory The Complete Fifth Season

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page