post #721 of 2847 Old 04-13-2009, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmichael2 View Post

Question is, why is this thread so slow? With a show this hot, there should be a lot more buzz. Come on guys. Start buzzing?

There is less to talk about for comedies though, that's why The Office will always have less posts than LOST, for example.

Plus unlike other comedies, there is little debate over BBT. It's not even like The Office where people scrutinize every episode or love to argue the show is too much "Michael Scott," etc.

The Big Bang Theory just is.

Deep, huh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2847 Old 04-13-2009, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

It's not even like The Office where people scrutinize every episode or love to argue the show is too much "Michael Scott," etc.

The Big Bang Theory just is.

Deep, huh?

BBT is too much Sheldon, not enough Raj!

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #723 of 2847 Old 04-13-2009, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

I'd say too much Sheldon, not enough Penny...but when we're done I'll get her a taxi.
post #724 of 2847 Old 04-13-2009, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

100% agree. That's why it's dumb that Raj won't talk if hot girls are around. It makes Raj underutilized.
post #725 of 2847 Old 04-14-2009, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
It really doesn't matter how much buzz a show gets. The show is hilarious, and people love it. Buzz is nice to read, but it means nothing. The Big Bang Theory is a great show.
post #726 of 2847 Old 04-14-2009, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
It's funny as hell - but there's no plot to discuss. Same thing with Chuck's other show, Two and a Half Men. The other thing is they're both so packed with LOL moments, it's almost difficult to recall any specific thing to discuss later.

They're the only shows that when I skip ahead past commercials - it isn't good enough to just back up until I see the TV rating before playing because there may be 2 or 3 laughs by the time that Rating bug drops off the screen.
post #727 of 2847 Old 04-14-2009, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

In fairness, the show is going to be on for a long time. It will evolve, and in the process you will see more of Raj. They've already snuck in a few Howard episodes, and there is the episode where Raj takes Penny out and she talks to his parents.

As for too much Sheldon . . . are you kidding?! I think the show's best moments are between Sheldon and Penny. It's funny to watch her attempt to bridge the gap to someone whose mind is so hardcore geek. I've gotta think AVSers are people who understand that more than most.

Of course, I love Sheldon because he reminds me of a specific co-worker I had a few years ago. The episode where they tried to teach Sheldon how to drive damn near killed me, because I remember this kid was the exact same way, and he had to have his girlfriend drive him to work.

The only thing wrong with Sheldon is that in the real world he'd be a chain smoker who would pace around outside, taking drags off his cigarette and twitching his hands while trying to solve problems.
post #728 of 2847 Old 04-14-2009, 10:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

It's funny as hell - but there's no plot to discuss. Same thing with Chuck's other show, Two and a Half Men.

I agree. Regarding Two and a Half Men I never watched it but found it via reruns since it was in HD. Now I record it and I'm really surprised how well it has held up. The show two weeks ago was perhaps the funniest 30 minutes I have ever watched on TV.
post #729 of 2847 Old 04-14-2009, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
That's better. It's good to see a few posts here. (even if over half of them are just telling my why there are so few post.)

I love this show. It kills me every week.
Too much Sheldon? That's like saying that there's too much to laugh at. Him and Penny make this show for me. Total polar opposites.

"Coffee? Isn't it a little late for coffee?"

By the way, Sheldon was right about Robin.
post #730 of 2847 Old 04-14-2009, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowMeow View Post

I think the show's best moments are between Sheldon and Penny. It's funny to watch her attempt to bridge the gap to someone whose mind is so hardcore geek.

You all want some debate, here's some debate:

Arguably they are ALL "hardcore geek." I would argue what sets Sheldon apart is that he is a geek who is neurotic, or more accurately, a geek with obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD).

They've never said Sheldon has OCD, but it's so obvious. Thus while everyone on the show minus Penny is a geek who she has a tough time relating to, it's extremely tough for her to relate to the geek with OCD.
post #731 of 2847 Old 04-14-2009, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I can't believe that nobody mentioned that Raj got some action last night!
post #732 of 2847 Old 04-14-2009, 12:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:

Thus while everyone on the show minus Penny is a geek who she has a tough time relating to, it's extremely tough for her to relate to the geek with OCD.

I don't think it's the geek factor rather the fact the rest are socially inept which came about by a large degree from being so intelligent. Their smartness was overly focussed upon during their youth. I think she relates to (as in likes) Sheldon very well and even stated such a few episodes ago. Now Howard (based on his views not geekness) is another story and she has a hard time cutting him any slack.
post #733 of 2847 Old 04-14-2009, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayest View Post

I'm with Raj's initial reaction - that's a hookup I'm trying to forget.
post #734 of 2847 Old 04-14-2009, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
What do they tell the actress playing that role? "Uh, we're looking for a repulsively fat chick to gross out the geeks. You're perfect."

Seems a little cold.
post #735 of 2847 Old 04-14-2009, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmichael2 View Post

What do they tell the actress playing that role? "Uh, we're looking for a repulsively fat chick to gross out the geeks. You're perfect."

Seems a little cold.

Depends on how much she got paid.

Just like Indians who play middle-easterners, which bothers me to no end. Kal Penn has done it several times. So has Aziz Ansari (most recently in Observe and Report). Here people know Naveen Andrews, an Indian playing an Iraqi on LOST.

It only perpetuates a stereotype that somehow Indians should be lumped in middle easterners, because somehow they all "look alike." (which has led to racist comments here re: Anoop Desai on AI, with people assuming that some viewers don't see him as "indian," but rather try to lump him in as middle eastern when he's clearly not) But they don't mind that paycheck or publicity or future jobs. . but really
post #736 of 2847 Old 04-14-2009, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowMeow View Post

As for too much Sheldon . . . are you kidding?! I think the show's best moments are between Sheldon and Penny. It's funny to watch her attempt to bridge the gap to someone whose mind is so hardcore geek. I've gotta think AVSers are people who understand that more than most.

Yeah, but Sheldon takes it to an extreme that probably makes most AVSers cringe, because he's way more geeky than any of us could possibly ever be. The other three guys are at least believable as actual people (and I went to an engineering school, so I knew quite a few Leonards, Rajs, and Howards).

Quote:

Here people know Naveen Andrews, an Indian playing an Iraqi on LOST.

I thought Naveen Andrews was English?? I'm surprised he wasn't up for the role of James Bond when Daniel Craig got it.

post #737 of 2847 Old 04-14-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:

Depends on how much she got paid.

Just like Indians who play middle-easterners, which bothers me to no end. Kal Penn has done it several times. So has Aziz Ansari (most recently in Observe and Report). Here people know Naveen Andrews, an Indian playing an Iraqi on LOST.

It only perpetuates a stereotype that somehow Indians should be lumped in middle easterners, because somehow they all "look alike." (which has led to racist comments here re: Anoop Desai on AI, with people assuming that some viewers don't see him as "indian," but rather try to lump him in as middle eastern when he's clearly not) But they don't mind that paycheck or publicity or future jobs. . but really

Yes, all Indians sell out I blame M. Night Shyamalan for allowing the flood of indians to hollywood pretending to be white, Iraqi, or black!
post #738 of 2847 Old 04-14-2009, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They've never said Sheldon has OCD, but it's so obvious. Thus while everyone on the show minus Penny is a geek who she has a tough time relating to, it's extremely tough for her to relate to the geek with OCD.

I think there's a stronger argument for Asperger's Syndrome (there's an opening for a giant debate even mentioning AS) as a characterization. I wouldn't be shocked if somewhere in the treatments for the show, or whatever show bible they might have, if the writers didn't commit to it.

First clue: trains. It's a dead giveaway that at some point Sheldon's characterization was built out from literature regarding Asperger's, as opposed to OCD.

Second clue: desire for routine. Remember, OCD is more about ritual than routine. Some manifestations of OCD are downright illogical. Sheldon displays the AS tendency toward logical routine. He's willing to break routine, also, for the constructive purpose of showing others why his routine matters. Individuals displaying OCD don't engage in deconstruction of their activities -- they just get upset when the ritual is broken.

Third clue: hyperlexical speech and a propensity to be professorial about everything.

Fourth clue: completely blind to the emotions of others.

I could go on but, ya know, I'm not Sheldon. I swear.

Quote:

Yeah, but Sheldon takes it to an extreme that probably makes most AVSers cringe, because he's way more geeky than any of us could possibly ever be.

You know, I've had the fortune (misfortune?) to have worked with several excellent computer programmers, and consequently I find Sheldon believable as can be.

I mentioned a kid I worked with a while back. In all truth, Sheldon is that kid only with the less TV-ready aspects trimmed off -- better hygeine, no smoking, no swearing, eats occasionally, interacts with others on non-technical subjects, etc.

If you've ever met the type, Sheldon is perfect.
post #739 of 2847 Old 04-28-2009, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I thought there was outside chance that Sheldon and Penny were going to hook up in this episode... at least in a trial "friends with benifits" scenario. And then Sheldon would honestly play it off as purely a sexual thing, with no romantic or emotional entaglements.

post #740 of 2847 Old 04-28-2009, 11:42 AM

Yeah after she finished singing Sheldon's song to him I thought she might have gave him a little kiss.......

Angelo
post #741 of 2847 Old 04-28-2009, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I think Sheldon could carry the lead in his own comedy show.
post #742 of 2847 Old 04-28-2009, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayest View Post

He didnt get any, Wolowitz did. Unless I missed it?
post #743 of 2847 Old 04-28-2009, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo M View Post

Yeah after she finished singing Sheldon's song to him I thought she might have gave him a little kiss.......

Ive had this weird feeling that it would be possible for something to happen with them. Opposites attract and you can't get too much different than those two. They both seem to be isolated too and end up spending time together. Penny because she has no female friends and Sheldon because he doesnt fit in well even with the friends he does have.
post #744 of 2847 Old 04-28-2009, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano View Post

He didnt get any, Wolowitz did. Unless I missed it?

Look at the date of the comment. The Raj comment was made on 4/14 and was in reference to when he got lucky with the with the rather large woman.
post #745 of 2847 Old 04-28-2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo M View Post

She probably would have until he said, "I'm tired now, please leave." What a great character.

When this baby hits 88 miles per hour.......you're gonna see some serious $#!+
post #746 of 2847 Old 04-28-2009, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Wolowitz - Have you already given her the money?
Leonard - Yes...
Wolowitz - (desperate sleazebag voice ) Thank you!

Go Texas Rangers!
Go Dallas Cowboys!
Go Newberry College!

Pastor of All Saints Lutheran Church in Mason, MI

XBOX360 and PSN gamertags - ncxcstud
post #747 of 2847 Old 04-28-2009, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncxcstud View Post

Wolowitz - Have you already given her the money?
Leonard - Yes...
Wolowitz - (desperate sleazebag voice ) Thank you!

You know, I thought it was weak. The loserish horn dog character has been done to death in sitcoms. Sure, no one ever went broke putting such a character on TV, but for the love of horniness! Horniness now has its own show (2.5 Men).

It's one thing when there's a good geek joke in there (such as Wolowitz showing the Mars rover to the chick that Leonard steals).

The episode was much funnier with Sheldon and Penny. I lost it when Sheldon told Leonard he now has a better understanding of FWB.
post #748 of 2847 Old 04-28-2009, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Agreed, Sheldon and Penny's back-and-forth are the funniest parts of the show to me.
The episode where she floored him with an autographed napkin from Leonard Nimoy was classic.

He's a an uptight brainiac, she's a laid back social kinda girl. Neither try's to change nor enters the other's world. The comedy ensues whenever they interact.
post #749 of 2847 Old 04-28-2009, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano View Post

I think Sheldon could carry the lead in his own comedy show.

For me a little Sheldon is plenty. When there is too much of him I find him annoying and it stops the flow of the show. He is a secondary character at best.
post #750 of 2847 Old 04-29-2009, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Excellent episode. I really like when they get out of the apartment into new settings. The whole Sheldon/Penny part was hilarous.

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
The Big Bang Theory The Complete Fifth Season

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page