7Likes

post #61 of 2753 Old 10-10-2007, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAtlanta View Post

Maybe you need a laugh track to find a show funny.

Listen, I think Cyrl is entitled to his or her opinion. I find the Office hilarious! I also find "Two and a Half Men" to be a complete waste of time. BBT is somewhere in the middle, and a show I can relate to to boot. Very enjoyable.

Other folks might find 2 1/2 to be the best thing since "Everybody Loves Raymond" and see "The Office" as trite and pointless. There's nothing wrong with that.

Update: One thing that struck me as interesting, is the style and pacing of another show, "How I Met Your Mother". It lends itself more to a one-camera, laugh-track-less, sitcom style, but it still tacks one on, maybe at CBS' request?

Dave
-ey ho, let's go
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 2753 Old 10-10-2007, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I'm loving TBBT, and being an Engineer I was afraid most of the jokes would go over the heads of non-engineer type people, so I'm glad to see its doing well in the ratings. These actors play the nerd role spot on! Sitting around the apartment with their laptops playing WOW or whatever they were playing is exactly the same as these nerds that lived down the hall from my dorm junior/senior year of college. Spot-on.

As for the Office, I watched the first two episodes of season 1 when it came out, and quickly gave up on the show. I rediscovered it halfway through season three, and eventually went back and caught most of season 3, so I'm glad that show came around for me. I might have to pick up the DVDs and see what I was missing, but I've heard season 1 wasn't really all that much to shake a stick at anyway.

I also love HIMYM, so TBBT and that get recorded while I watch the 4th qtr of MNF, and in between timeouts I switch to Chuck. I don't know that Chuck is going to last all season...

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #63 of 2753 Old 10-10-2007, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Typically I don't like 30 minute shows or comedies but I love this show. It has moved past Chuck (which more than likely will get dropped all together) in my season passes and I hope they keep going.

It has the right mix of being just serious enough to be funny and you can't help but care about the characters.

I found the gal at his work a hoot. I liked how they let her take over the bit and Leonard was just there so she had someone to play off of.

Regarding Penny I don't think she is supposed to be hot or wild... just hot in relationship to the nerds. She is normal and down to earth which makes her charming in their eyes and it's what ultimately attracts the guys to her?
post #64 of 2753 Old 10-10-2007, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

As long as this show keeps building on its How I Met Your Mother lead in it will be here for a long time to come. The Class always finished behind HIMYM in the ratings. If it stays ahead of HIMYM, which it has done for three weeks now, it will be fine.
post #65 of 2753 Old 10-11-2007, 09:02 AM

This has really been a surprise for me. I loved the superman bit in episode two. Never thought I could like a show with a laugh track, but this has proven that wrong. I'm all the way in.

...plus the girl is hot.
post #66 of 2753 Old 10-12-2007, 10:56 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmedina View Post

Listen, I think Cyrl is entitled to his or her opinion. I find the Office hilarious! I also find "Two and a Half Men" to be a complete waste of time. BBT is somewhere in the middle, and a show I can relate to to boot. Very enjoyable.

Thank you for the defense there

I find scrubs hilarious and if recall it does not have laugh track, or at least I've never noticed one. I have the first seasons on DVD, maybe I'll go check after posting. But in the end the reason I dislike the overblown laughter or laugh tracks is I just don't appreciate having every joke accented (or even non jokes as the case may be). I honestly think the studio wanted the laughs on tape so that people who don't get some of the jokes know that there was a joke and they should laugh too.

On an aside, I think my tivo is trying to make me a shut-in or a hermit, 179 suggestions in about 9 days since turning them on.

Cyrl
post #67 of 2753 Old 10-15-2007, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone else been reading the "Chuck Lorre" screens at the end of each episode? You gotta pause it on the DVR, but they are hilarious. Different every week. Anyway, this one confirms that the character names of Leonard and Sheldon came from Sheldon Leonard, the TV Producer.

post #68 of 2753 Old 10-16-2007, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

Has anyone else been reading the "Chuck Lorre" screens at the end of each episode? You gotta pause it on the DVR, but they are hilarious. Different every week. Anyway, this one confirms that the character names of Leonard and Sheldon came from Sheldon Leonard, the TV Producer.

Yes, good stuff. Chuck Lorre always put these vanity cards at the end of his shows. Two and Half Men have it, too.
post #69 of 2753 Old 10-16-2007, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott G View Post

Yes, good stuff. Chuck Lorre always put these vanity cards at the end of his shows. Two and Half Men have it, too.

some of them are really funny.

here is an archive of all of them, you can filter by shows they aired on.
http://www.chucklorre.com/index.php
post #70 of 2753 Old 10-16-2007, 08:53 AM

2 1/2's last night was a thank you note to fans for supporting their show. 2 1/2 aired their 100th episode last night.

Dave
-ey ho, let's go
post #71 of 2753 Old 10-17-2007, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 174
This last episode had some of the best picture quality of a show I had ever seen. The part where they are standing in front of the table with all the fruit was awesome. My wife even said, wow look at that detail. Very impressed with their quality.

post #72 of 2753 Old 10-17-2007, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

This last episode had some of the best picture quality of a show I had ever seen. The part where they are standing in front of the table with all the fruit was awesome. My wife even said, wow look at that detail. Very impressed with their quality.

I agree. I dont recall the other episodes being this high quality as far as pq.

Mike
post #73 of 2753 Old 10-17-2007, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post

I agree. I dont recall the other episodes being this high quality as far as pq.

Mike

Yeah, and it was funny, too.
post #74 of 2753 Old 10-18-2007, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Big News : The Big Bang Theory Gets Full Season Pickup !

From Hollywood Reporter :

Quote:

In 'Theory' and 'Practice': Both get full season

By Nellie Andreeva

Oct 19, 2007

Two freshman series, ABC's drama "Private Practice" and CBS' comedy "The Big Bang Theory" got full-season pickups Thursday.

ABC and CBS ordered nine additional episodes from each series, bringing the total for both "Practice" and "Bang" to 22 episodes.

Additionally, CBS has handed out a back-nine order to drama "The Unit," now in its third season.

The ABC Studios-produced "Practice," a spinoff of the hit medical drama "Grey's Anatomy," has emerged as the highest-rated new series this season among adults 18-49.

Meanwhile, "Big Bang," co-created by "Two and a Half Men" co-creator Chuck Lorre, has fit nicely into CBS' Monday night comedy block.

"Practice" and "Bang" join "Gossip Girl," which received a full-season pickup last week.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...a974480c4d9f91
post #75 of 2753 Old 10-23-2007, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

The Big Bang Theory had a terrific ratings week. It got its highest ratings since its initial sampling. The ratings were up approximately 10% since last week, and it still beat How I Met Your Mother, and it killed Chuck again by a mile. Here are the ratings :

Quote:

How I Met Your Mother (Viewers: #2, 8.60 million; A18-49: #2, 3.4/ 9), The Big Bang Theory (Viewers: #2, 8.72 million; A18-49: #2, 3.5/ 9)

Just for comparison here are the ratings of the media darling, Chuck :

Chuck opened the evening fourth in both total viewers (7.14 million) and adults 18-49 (2.8/ 7)with a series-low in both categories. One year earlier in the time period was Deal or No Deal at 13.16 million viewers and a 3.7/10 in the demo. It's official...Chuck is a loser this week.

It still amazes me how Chuck gets all the ink and chatter, but the Big Bang Theory kills it in the ratings almost every week.
post #76 of 2753 Old 10-23-2007, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

BBT must be funny 'cuz I hear laughter throughout the show even when they do things I do not think that are that funny.

Argee
post #77 of 2753 Old 10-23-2007, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee View Post

BBT must be funny 'cuz I hear laughter throughout the show even when they do things I do not think that are that funny.

If you don't like sitcoms with audience laughter (not a laugh track, filmed before a studio audience) than don't watch CBS sitcoms. The ratings prove that people do like these sitcoms. Their ratings are terrific.
post #78 of 2753 Old 10-23-2007, 11:53 AM

I think a lot of the things in the show actually are funny. Now for the real question:

Do those of you who are BBT fans like this show better than "The Class"?

I'd say yes, but only because I can relate to the characters more. "The Class" had better writing.

PS: When it comes to the theme song, BBT also gets the edge.

Dave
-ey ho, let's go
post #79 of 2753 Old 10-23-2007, 11:53 AM

My damn Directv DVR showed it was recording all our Monday night shows but sadly it failed to do so, so I missed every show...Heroes, 2-1/2, CSI, and this one...
post #80 of 2753 Old 10-23-2007, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Is this filmed in front of an audience? Lot of the laughter seems canned to me.
I just think they could well do without the laugh track.

Argee
post #81 of 2753 Old 10-23-2007, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmedina View Post

I think a lot of the things in the show actually are funny. Now for the real question:

Do those of you who are BBT fans like this show better than "The Class"?

I'd say yes, but only because I can relate to the characters more. "The Class" had better writing.

PS: When it comes to the theme song, BBT also gets the edge.

I liked The Class, but I think BBT is better. It is simply funnier. Sheldon is hilarious, and I love the chemistry when he and Penny play off each other. Not in a romantic sense, but in a comedic sense.

The theme song is sung by The Barenaked Ladies, and they have a note on their website stating that they will be coming out with a full version of The Big Bang Theory theme song soon.
post #82 of 2753 Old 10-23-2007, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Last nights ep was sort of a letdown...not as funny as the previous...hope it's not a trend. 2 & 1/2, OTOH, was very funny.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #83 of 2753 Old 10-23-2007, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

Last nights ep was sort of a letdown...not as funny as the previous...hope it's not a trend. 2 & 1/2, OTOH, was very funny.

I am surprised at that comment. Most people in various forums thought last night was one of the best episodes. I thought Sara Gilbert was great, and the comedic play of Sheldon and Penny together is really funny.
post #84 of 2753 Old 10-23-2007, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 37
I thought Penny worked at a Cheesecake Factory, yet last night's ep seemed to show her serving the guys in a more generic place. She was almost wearing a classic diner-style waitress dress, too.

Did the product placement runs its course and now she magically works at the No-Name Cafe or did I miss something?
post #85 of 2753 Old 10-23-2007, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee View Post

Is this filmed in front of an audience? Lot of the laughter seems canned to me.
I just think they could well do without the laugh track.

Yes, you can see it taped. See here for tickets :

http://www.audiencesunlimited.com/fm...&Show=big+bang

Several bloggers who have seen it taped say they actually film some scenes two ways to see which gets the biggest reaction from the audience.
post #86 of 2753 Old 10-23-2007, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddR View Post

I thought Penny worked at a Cheesecake Factory, yet last night's ep seemed to show her serving the guys in a more generic place. She was almost wearing a classic diner-style waitress dress, too.

Did the product placement runs its course and now she magically works at the No-Name Cafe or did I miss something?

She was wearing the same outfit as the time she came home from work a few episodes back. Can't say why they didn't refer to the restaurant by name in the episode, though.

post #87 of 2753 Old 10-23-2007, 03:34 PM

It*was* the cheesecake factory. For a while there I wasn't sure myself.

If you look at the back of the menus it says "Cheesecake of the Day."

I'm sure most of us who've been to the Cheesecake Factory don't remember it like that, but a more accurate depiction may have caused some copyright infringement.

And yet, there were numerous Bob's Big Boy references.

Dave
-ey ho, let's go
post #88 of 2753 Old 10-23-2007, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Final numbers are in, and BBT increased its viewers :

Quote:

The Big Bang Theory
- 8.806 million viewers
- 5.5/8 HH
- 3.5/9 A18-49

It beat How I Met Your Mother by 302,000 and Chuck by a whopping 1.6 million viewers. If this show keeps it up it will be here for many years to come.

Just for reference of how the show is doing comparatively here is HIMYM and Chuck finals :

Quote:

How I Met Your Mother
- 8.504 million viewers
- 5.4/8 HH
- 3.4/9 A18-49

Chuck
- 7.221 million viewers
- 4.4/7 HH
- 2.9/7 A18-49

post #89 of 2753 Old 10-23-2007, 04:00 PM

Boy this could be like the "sleeper hit of the year." I never would have guessed it!

Dave
-ey ho, let's go
post #90 of 2753 Old 10-23-2007, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I reallly enjoy this show. The only complaint I have is that episodes (or even Acts within the episode) seem to just end. Randomly. Almost like they break off mid-thought.

And I picked up on this during the pilot, but its starting to seem like the climb up to the fourth floor via stairs is going to be a recurring theme in this show... makes me wonder if that elevator will ever be repaired!

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
The Big Bang Theory The Complete Fifth Season

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page