post #121 of 2810 Old 11-06-2007, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee View Post

So, Sheldon and Leonard are roommates so they can afford the rent yet Penny works at the Chesecake Factory as a waittress and can afford to live single in the same building?

I'm going to go out on a limb and present two possibilities:

1)Her room is a single, so her rent is lower than the double that the guys pay.

2)Suspend your disbelief, or she might be forced to move out!! Where would we be, then? Kaley Cuoco is hot.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 2810 Old 11-06-2007, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I thought they were grad students, but if we are all of the sudden going to hold shows accountable for legitimate salary/living arrangement comparisons, there are not too many out there I can think of to hold up as accurate, especially these tyupe of ensemble sitcoms.

XBOX Live: SheriffTruman

Do you want a nice Keystone Jack panel behind your TV with HDMI, and Toslink? Check This Thread at AVS
post #123 of 2810 Old 11-06-2007, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott G View Post

For anybody who is also a Roseanne fan, they are having a reunion this week on The Big Bang Theory when Sara Gilbert joins the cast as Johnny Galecki's love interest. If you remember, they played David and Darlene on Roseanne.

Also, Laurie Metcalf, who played the sister Jackie on Roseanne, plays one of the roommate's mothers.
post #124 of 2810 Old 11-06-2007, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

The ratings numbers this week are unbelievable for The Big Bang Theory. It got its highest rating of the season. It got almost 10 million viewers. This means people are telling their friends about the show, and the show is slowly becoming a hit. It blew away both How I Met Your Mother and Chuck in the ratings.

Here are the numbers :

Big Bang Theory 6.1/9 3.8/9 in the 18-49 demo 9,675,000 viewers

How I Met Your M 5.5/8 3.4/9 in the 18-49 demo 8,867,000 viewers

Chuck 4.5/7 3.3/8 in the 18-49 demo 7,606,000 viewers

One sobering thing I must say, however, I am very worried about the writers strike. If it keeps the show off the air for a while it could hurt the ratings. Currently all the multi camera sitcoms (filmed before live audiences) are shut down do to the writers strike.
post #125 of 2810 Old 11-06-2007, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott G View Post

I am very worried about the writers strike. If it keeps the show off the air for a while it could hurt the ratings.

I'd say it's a sure thing - if the show is off the air, ratings will be hurt.
post #126 of 2810 Old 11-06-2007, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee View Post

So, Sheldon and Leonard are roommates so they can afford the rent yet Penny works at the Chesecake Factory as a waittress and can afford to live single in the same building?
Did I miss some explanation in an earlier episode?

Well if you take into account the average check for two at Cheesecake Factory is $50 or so, and the average tip around 20%, that's $10/two person table right there...
post #127 of 2810 Old 11-06-2007, 09:20 PM

Finally watched this weeks ep.....I think I chuckled once....I guess you really need to be an uber gaming type nerd (who maybe lives with his/her parents) to find a lot of humor in this show....I had really hoped this was gonna be one of the must see shows this fall...sadly I think I may have to leave it for the nerds in the world to enjoy.

post #128 of 2810 Old 11-06-2007, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddR View Post

"Where's your annoying friend who thinks he speaks Mandarin?" LOL

Surely that was the same actor as the "five, ten minutes..." host from the classic Seinfeld episode "The Chinese Restaurant."

James Hong is the actor in both cases. He was also in Chuck a couple of weeks ago as well. He seems to be the go to guy when a Chinese Elder is needed.
post #129 of 2810 Old 11-07-2007, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post

Finally watched this weeks ep.....I think I chuckled once....I guess you really need to be an uber gaming type nerd (who maybe lives with his/her parents) to find a lot of humor in this show....I had really hoped this was gonna be one of the must see shows this fall...sadly I think I may have to leave it for the nerds in the world to enjoy.

Why do you have to be an uber gaming nerd to laugh at the part where she wants to stay over and Sheldon is freaking out, or when they finally turn the lights out and the camera pans over and their friend from India is still there. That was hilarous, poor kid, always overlooked they didn't even know he was there eating. Great moment and nothing about it nerd related.

post #130 of 2810 Old 11-07-2007, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post

Gee, I hope you don't watch Dexter. Do only serial killers enjoy that show?

Me thinks thou doth protest too much. Perhaps it causes wedgie & swirly flashbacks from your teen years?
post #131 of 2810 Old 11-07-2007, 12:34 PM

Is there some connection with this show and Roseanne? It just seems unusal that 3 actors from that show appear on Big Bang:

Johnny Galecki
Sara Gilbert
Lauri Metcalf
post #132 of 2810 Old 11-07-2007, 09:44 PM

Liked: 12
Quite honestly...with so many jokes referencing physics and mathematics, I would say the humor may be geared more towards a smarter audience, not necessarily the gamer living with his parents as suggested earlier.
Awesome show!
post #133 of 2810 Old 11-08-2007, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebras23 View Post

Is there some connection with this show and Roseanne? It just seems unusal that 3 actors from that show appear on Big Bang:

Johnny Galecki
Sara Gilbert
Lauri Metcalf

I am waiting to see who shows up during sweeps week. Possibly, even Roseanne herself?
post #134 of 2810 Old 11-08-2007, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltA View Post

I am waiting to see who shows up during sweeps week. Possibly, even Roseanne herself?

John Goodman could easily be her dad from Nebraska.

Please do not send me PM's asking for software! You will not get it.
post #135 of 2810 Old 11-08-2007, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebras23 View Post

Johnny Galecki
Sara Gilbert
Lauri Metcalf

Yes, Chuck Lorre is the creator/producer of The Big Bang Theory, and was also the creator/producer of Roseanne.
post #136 of 2810 Old 11-10-2007, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by herdfan View Post

John Goodman could easily be her dad from Nebraska.

He already did that role in Coyote Ugly, but I'd rather see Piper Perabo make a cameo as one of the nerds' love interest!

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #137 of 2810 Old 11-12-2007, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Another good episode tonight, and Penny has never looked better.
post #138 of 2810 Old 11-12-2007, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Had to drag the strike into the vanity card, eh?

Absolutely hilarious ep tonight.
post #139 of 2810 Old 11-12-2007, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Funny as hell episode tonight. I was laughing out loud at least 4 or 5 times. I love this show
post #140 of 2810 Old 11-12-2007, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I must say that I look forward to Monday for BBT, call me a nerd if you like. But I don't game or live with my parents.

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
post #141 of 2810 Old 11-13-2007, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

I loved it, too. I laugh more watching this sitcom than any other in quite some time.

Wow, that Kaley Cuoco is hot, too.
post #142 of 2810 Old 11-13-2007, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee L View Post

I thought they were grad students, but if we are all of the sudden going to hold shows accountable for legitimate salary/living arrangement comparisons, there are not too many out there I can think of to hold up as accurate, especially these type of ensemble sitcoms.

I do my best to suspend reality in regard to most shows. But sometimes the setup and back story of the characters is so off that it sometimes interferes with the whole show. They will say something or another and I find myself thinking, "But wait, aren't they such and such?"

For the record, the show has stated that Leonard has a PhD and is a working physicist at Caltech. Presumably in research labs and not teaching. Sheldon does the same but has received TWO PhDs. Wolowitz and Raj are both working engineers, presumably at JPL, and Wolowitz is apparently the project manager for some satellite orbiting Jupiter.

Now, sure these guys aren't making Silicon Valley money, but really. The income disparity between waitress Penny and the two next store must be huge yet the show plays them as equals, standard of living wise. And Wolowitz lives with his mom? Come on.

Not that I don't like the show, but Beauty and the Geek works much better in a high school setting. Or by making the Geek not as successful as Sheldon and Leonard but rather more like the comic book guy from Simpsons or something.
post #143 of 2810 Old 11-13-2007, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Why do you have to be an uber gaming nerd

Agreed! While there's a certain "techy-ness" about some of the jokes, I think they're well written enough to appeal to a wide audience (considering the ratings numbers - or there's a hell of a lot of nerds watching it...).

I have been pleasantly surprised with some of the "in jokes" - the gaming bits, Ebay, the physics gags (a couple of nice quantum puns), etc., laughed at all of it. I embrace my own nerd-ness Of course to all the people who think I'm a nerd, I was surfing in the 8' NorEaster swells last week, what were *you* doing

"In the end, life and business are about human connections. And computers are about trying to murder you in a lake. And to me, the choice is easy."
~Michael Scott
post #144 of 2810 Old 11-13-2007, 08:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamphhh View Post

For the record, the show has stated that Leonard has a PhD and is a working physicist at Caltech. Presumably in research labs and not teaching. Sheldon does the same but has received TWO PhDs. Wolowitz and Raj are both working engineers, presumably at JPL, and Wolowitz is apparently the project manager for some satellite orbiting Jupiter.

Now, sure these guys aren't making Silicon Valley money, but really. The income disparity between waitress Penny and the two next store must be huge yet the show plays them as equals, standard of living wise. And Wolowitz lives with his mom? Come on.

Well, according to the American Institute of Physics, the average salary for a physics postdoc at a university is between $35K and $45K. And a waitress who looks like Kaley Cuoco could make about the same or slightly less (and pay less taxes on it, for greater disposable income). So if you can't suspend disbelief over this, you really shouldn't be watching television at all. You can buy people who fly, travel through time, have computers downloaded into their head, suddenly become children's superstars, or look like David Spade and get hot young women, but a waitress making as much as a physicist is a bridge too far? (And I only used Monday night shows.)
post #145 of 2810 Old 11-13-2007, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post

Funny as hell episode tonight. I was laughing out loud at least 4 or 5 times. I love this show

Me too. I have really enjoyed this show so far, but last night was the best half-hour of comedy that I've seen in a long time. I loved the parents in India on the laptop, especially in the first scene where the father said something like, "Move the laptop up, we're looking at his crotch."
post #146 of 2810 Old 11-13-2007, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Apart from Sheldon's ranting, which is hilarious to me...I find Wolowitz's character to be just as insanely funny. Love this show, though I have to watch it alone, the wife just looks at me funny , go figure!

All I want for Christmas is my two front seats
post #147 of 2810 Old 11-13-2007, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

The Big Bang Theory did another very solid ratings week. For the 8th consecutive week it beat How I Met Your Mother, and once again clobbered Chuck. It is way ahead of The Class's ratings last year. Let's hope these writers allow the show to continue its momentum in the near future.

Here are the ratings :

The Big Bang Theory (Viewers: #2, 9.39 million; A18-49: #2, 3.8/ 9). Worth positively noting is the ongoing growth for The Big Bang Theory out of both How I Met Your Mother and year-ago occupant The Class (Viewers: 8.44 million; A18-49: 3.0/ 8).

For comparitive purposes here is How I Met Your Mother and Chuck for this week :

How I Met Your Mother (Viewers: #2, 8.58 million; A18-49: #2, 3.3/ 9)

Chuck (Viewers: #3, 7.56 million; A18-49: #4, 3.0/ 7)

The 3.8 in the 18-49 demo is the highest of the season, and the growth over HIMYM's 3.3, and last year's The Class 3.0 is terrific.
post #148 of 2810 Old 11-13-2007, 11:57 AM

Speaking of writers, the writers strike places next week's episode as the last one for the season... for now. One thing I hope is that they keep writing new episodes in between rallies and so on, that way they don't disrupt the momentum this show is on.

Write the new shows but just leave them ready to go when everyone is back in business... far fetched?

Dave
-ey ho, let's go
post #149 of 2810 Old 11-13-2007, 12:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:

How does the show play them as equal? Just because they live in the same building doesn't mean anything...

Penny inherited a million dollars.
Penny was in an accident and received a million dollars.
The boys are simply cheap.
It's close to their work.
I don't see Penny with expensive laptops.

There are literally thousands of logical reasons. There are even logical reasons why someone lives with their parents when they can afford to move out (Failure to Launch as an example ).

Don't think just because people live in the same neighborhood they have the same means. It really doesn't make any sense. I wish I had the means of a few of my neighbors!

Anyway this show keeps getting better and better. I so look forward to Sheldon and Penny going at it. My money is on Penny!
post #150 of 2810 Old 11-13-2007, 12:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:

Not that I don't like the show, but Beauty and the Geek works much better in a high school setting. Or by making the Geek not as successful as Sheldon and Leonard but rather more like the comic book guy from Simpsons or something.

In my opinion the show isn't based around Beauty and the Geek.

For starters Penny isn't that beautiful. Sure she is pretty but more in a down to earth way. The guys aren't total Geeks rather they are socially inept.

I see it more as ducks out of water. Each week one or more of them face a situation where they are forced to grow up a little. Going to a party, talking to girls, one occasion after another they are forced to become more social.

It's not like they are Geeks and are happy with where they are... each one of them (ok maybe not Sheldon totally yet) want more out of life. They just aren't mature enough yet to obtain it.

If I had to guess I would say it's because they are so smart that's all they have ever focused on. Late bloomers they are and it's quite enjoyable to watch them grow up!
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
The Big Bang Theory The Complete Fifth Season

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page