Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #1 of 2753 Old 09-26-2007, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Anyone else catch this show. I thought it was really funny. Some moments had me laughing out loud. I hope it makes it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2753 Old 09-26-2007, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes, I thought it was very funny. But, how many viewers understand that light exhibits properties of both waves and particles? It may be too high-brow for most. My favorite line, "We spent the afternoon masturbating for money." LOL

But, by simply watching the show, we will change the outcome. Get it?
post #3 of 2753 Old 09-26-2007, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I thought it might possibly be the funniest show ever. I am also afraid that they will either dumb it down or people will not watch. If they keep it on, it really makes Monday night the best comedy night ever IMO.

XBOX Live: SheriffTruman

Do you want a nice Keystone Jack panel behind your TV with HDMI, and Toslink? Check
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 2753 Old 09-26-2007, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Loved it. Funniest new sitcom in a while.

It did well in the ratings, too. It actually beat Chuck out by over 300,000 viewers and it built up its lead in, How I Met Your Mother, by 1.4 million viewers.

Nice start, let's hope it keeps up to it.
post #5 of 2753 Old 09-26-2007, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 181
I thought it was good but the laugh track drove me nuts.

| 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #6 of 2753 Old 09-26-2007, 08:38 AM

I thought it was predictable and merely slightly above average. But it has enough promise to keep me tuned in for a few more weeks to develop a more informed opinion. I guess that's really about all you can ask for in a pilot for a sitcom.

But I really loved Earl, the Office, HIMYM beginning with their pilots, instead of merely tolerating them. Hopefully this will grow to the levels of those.

But I do wholeheartedly agree that the laugh track is awful.
post #7 of 2753 Old 09-26-2007, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

I thought it was good but the laugh track drove me nuts.

i agree, but the laugh tracks are there to help tell the majority of the people that watch TV what's funny (sad, i know). a show has to be REALLY good IMO for me to put up with a laugh track...i have season passes for Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother, which should tell you how good they are.

i was really skeptical about BBT, because they kept promoting it by saying "from the creator of Two & A Half Men", which almost was enough to scare me off...but, i checked it out anyway and found it really funny.

"Why is The Flash in a hot tub?"
post #8 of 2753 Old 09-26-2007, 08:45 AM

We watched it...it was pretty amusing...not really a laugh out loud show, but I'll give it some time to build momentum....
post #9 of 2753 Old 09-26-2007, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenC View Post

Yes, I thought it was very funny. But, how many viewers understand that light exhibits properties of both waves and particles? It may be too high-brow for most. My favorite line, "We spent the afternoon masturbating for money." LOL

But, by simply watching the show, we will change the outcome. Get it?

Yeah, that part had me busting a gut, pretty funny.

post #10 of 2753 Old 09-26-2007, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Ugh. Looked great in HD, but I thought this was horrible - unfunny and painful to watch. The worst sitcom I've seen in a long time.
post #11 of 2753 Old 09-26-2007, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The "8 Simple Rules" girl made the show more quantumly variable.

Wolfie
post #12 of 2753 Old 09-26-2007, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post

We watched it...it was pretty amusing...not really a laugh out loud show, but I'll give it some time to build momentum....

Me too. I liked it, didn't love it. I'll keep watching ..
post #13 of 2753 Old 09-26-2007, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
My favorite new show so far. I work in a teaching hospital with a bunch of geeky Ph.D research docs, so it really rings true to me.
post #14 of 2753 Old 09-26-2007, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

By the way, anybody who did not see it, and want to see it, you can watch the entire first episode here :

http://alpha.cbs.com/primetime/big_bang_theory/
post #15 of 2753 Old 09-26-2007, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott G View Post

By the way, anybody who did not see it, and want to see it, you can watch the entire first episode here :

http://alpha.cbs.com/primetime/big_bang_theory/

Sorry, but that link does not appear to be a HD stream.
post #16 of 2753 Old 09-26-2007, 01:25 PM

I thought the pilot was great. It had me laughing out loud a few times with rings of my inner-geekness.

I really hope this makes it, it did as well as The Class ratings wise but we all know what happened there. (Bad CBS, BAD!)
post #17 of 2753 Old 09-26-2007, 02:33 PM

Loved it, I have rewatched it twice already. My girlfriend had to tell me to calm down and breathe I was laughing so hard and very much out loud!
I have season passed this one and I do hope it makes it. I am worried it is a little over the top for some but I find it the best new show so far. It blew CHUCK out of the water imho.

Monday night is owned by CBS - best comedy night of the week!

jamie

Jamie Crane
Great minds discuss ideas.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.
post #18 of 2753 Old 09-26-2007, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenC View Post

Sorry, but that link does not appear to be a HD stream.

Well, since CBS has passed out the pilot for free as a download in various places such as Itune, AOL, etc. they probably wouldn't mind you downloading the HD verison from here :

http://isohunt.com/torrents.php?ihq=the+big+bang+theory
post #19 of 2753 Old 09-26-2007, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, since CBS has passed out the pilot for free as a download in various places such as Itune, AOL, etc. they probably wouldn't mind you downloading the HD verison from here :

they get paid for the DL's and with the crack down on torrent sites wouldnt trust iso without proper apps...

as for the show, too bad it's on mon's and wouldnt watch it anyway. just cant take the laugh track anymore.

it will last because it's from the 2 1/2 men crew.

Cichlids are my HD
Technology is my hobby
PSN/LIVE: LaCoMBo78
post #20 of 2753 Old 09-26-2007, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacombo View Post

they get paid for the DL's and with the crack down on torrent sites wouldnt trust iso without proper apps...

as for the show, too bad it's on mon's and wouldnt watch it anyway. just cant take the laugh track anymore.

it will last because it's from the 2 1/2 men crew.

I agree with you on the torrents, but in this case I really don't think CBS would bother anybody. They have been trying to pass out this pilot for free on various internet TV downloading sites for weeks trying to get people to watch it. They also were running a free preview of the program on Comedy Central at 4:30AM. I think they just want as many people to see it as possible, so I think it is safe to download.
post #21 of 2753 Old 09-26-2007, 10:04 PM

Cleared it off the S3...meh. There were some great lines, but the writers were really trying to pack too much in and while some worked, many didn't. (And I actually did have a theoretical astrophysics course once so I understood some of the better ones even without the forced laugh track.) The starting 5 cast doesn't really do it either, although the glasses guy was funnier than the other one. The Stephen Hawking imitation was genuinely funny, but I can't see this one sticking around if it keeps going like this - I'm certainly not gonna watch more than one more episode if it's like this.

By the way, was it just me that thought PQ on this was also kinda meh?
post #22 of 2753 Old 10-02-2007, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

This show did pretty well in the ratings for week 2 :

From Marc Berman of Mediaweek magazine :

CBS was close to opening week levels from one week earlier with its combination of How I Met Your Mother (Viewers: #2, 7.88 million; A18-49: #2t, 3.0/ 8), The Big Bang Theory (Viewers: #2, 8.58 million; A18-49: #2, 3.4/ 8), Two and a Half Men (Viewers: #2, 13.38 million; A18-49: #3, 4.6/11), Rules of Engagement (Viewers: #3, 10.54 million; A18-49: #3, 3.9/ 9), and CSI: Miami (Viewers: #1, 14.88 million; A18-49: #1, 4.6/11). The positive news for The Big Bang Theory was growth out of lead-in How I Met Your Mother of 700,000 viewers and 13 percent among adults 18-49, and a performance close to its week-ago debut.

The ratings in the all important 18-49 year olds fell by about 9% that is not bad after last weeks sampling, and it managed to stay ahead of How I Met Your Mother, and improving on HIMYM by 13%. It also beat NBC's critically acclaimed show Chuck that finished at a 3.1 rating. Chuck's ratings were off by 14 %.

As long as this show keeps beating How I Met Your Mother and Chuck in the ratings it is a certain keeper to stay on the air.
post #23 of 2753 Old 10-02-2007, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Got to see last night's episode and I must say I love this show. Hate the laughtrack though.
The Superman marathon/catching Lois Lane bit was good and the two main male characters along with their friend who thinks he is Don Juan are funny. I'll give it a few more episodes, hope it keeps it up. That tall one (Sheldon I think) is a riot. As mentioned by a previous poster, they do remind me of Frazier and Niles, but I loved that show anyway so, go figure.

All I want for Christmas is my two front seats
post #24 of 2753 Old 10-02-2007, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Do Sheldon and Leonard sleep in the same bed?

Why would Leonard get up in the middle of the night to go looking for him otherwise?
post #25 of 2753 Old 10-02-2007, 01:42 PM

So I wonder if the "Sheldon" and "Leonard" is a nod to actual Sheldon Leonard who produced and directed Andy Griffith, Dick Van Dyke Show and most noteably was Nick the bartender in "It's a Wonderful Life"?

As for the show....I didn't find myself laughing much this time around...I can only hope the humor picks up otherwise this will be show number two I may have to dump.
post #26 of 2753 Old 10-02-2007, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post

So I wonder if the "Sheldon" and "Leonard" is a nod to actual Sheldon Leonard who produced and directed Andy Griffith, Dick Van Dyke Show and most noteably was Nick the bartender in "It's a Wonderful Life"?

As for the show....I didn't find myself laughing much this time around...I can only hope the humor picks up otherwise this will be show number two I may have to dump.

Sorry, you didn't like it. The buzz in the forums and blogs is that this episode was even better than the pilot.

Yes, Chuck Lorre who is the creator/producer named Sheldon and Leonard after Sheldon Leonard, and Penny is named after Penny Marshall, who is the sister of big time sitcom producer Garry Marshall.
post #27 of 2753 Old 10-02-2007, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 181
Quote:

The buzz in the forums and blogs is that this episode was even better than the pilot.

That was my take and I liked the pilot a lot. Traditionally I don't enjoy sitcoms... outside of the classics.

| 
|
|
|
post #28 of 2753 Old 10-02-2007, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleAl View Post

Why would Leonard get up in the middle of the night to go looking for him otherwise?

Leonard was probably woken up by the sound of Sheldon leaving the apartment.

I too thought this episode was better than the pilot. I'll keep watching it. As the character of Penny develops, I'm sure more/other attractive females will be brought into the mix and we'll see how Leonard and Sheldon react. I can see the obvious plot line of Penny bringing a friend around, someone who is more Leonard's type, Sheldon meeting a girl, and Raj actually talking to one.
post #29 of 2753 Old 10-02-2007, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

I really like this show. There are so few funny shows on TV now, and I think this is one of the few. Hope it continues..
post #30 of 2753 Old 10-02-2007, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteor3 View Post

Leonard was probably woken up by the sound of Sheldon leaving the apartment.

I too thought this episode was better than the pilot. I'll keep watching it. As the character of Penny develops, I'm sure more/other attractive females will be brought into the mix and we'll see how Leonard and Sheldon react. I can see the obvious plot line of Penny bringing a friend around, someone who is more Leonard's type, Sheldon meeting a girl, and Raj actually talking to one.

Right on cue, Sara Gilbert is coming on board in the next episode to play Leonard's love interest. Did I hear anyone say a David and Darlene from Roseanne reunion.
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
The Big Bang Theory The Complete Fifth Season

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page