Which national HD channels distort 4:3 content and which ones don't? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 310 Old 09-26-2007, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
mx6bfast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Delray Beach, FL
Posts: 6,891
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Just like the title says, I think it would be pretty useful for us to keep a tally of which HD channels keep 4:3 SD programming as is, and which ones zoom/crop/stretch it, and which ones falsely label SD programming as HD.

All of these different modes to manipulating and incorrectly labeling SD programming will do nothing but confused the new HD viewers.

Depending on your preference, I think having a viewer content email address to voice your concern/praise for what they are doing with 4:3 SD content would also help.

I'm at work today so I can't check all channels. However I will post which ones I know of. Please feel free to post what you have seen and I will update the first post when I get the chance.

HD programmers wish list courtesy of sleeks, http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=914106

Another list to view: http://digitalcaffeine.com/hd/

Stretch or Don't Stretch poll: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=102141 Please register and vote if you haven't already.


Leaves as is:
ABC Family
Big Ten Network HD
Bravo HD
CBS College Sports HD (initially distorted 4:3 SD)
CMT HD (Country Music TV)
CNBC HD +
CNN HD
HD Theater
Disney Channel HD
ESPN HD (initially distorted 4:3 SD)
ESPN2 HD
ESPNNews HD
ESPNU
FOX Business Channel HD
FOX News Channel
FOX Soccer Channel
FOX Sports Net
Fuel HD
FX HD
HBO HD
HDNet
HDNet Movies
Golf/Versus HD
Palladia (previously MHD)
MLB Network
MTV HD
NHL Network HD
NFL Network HD
National Geographic HD
Nick HD
Sci Fi HD
Showtime HD
Speed HD
Spike HD
Starz HD
Tennis Channel HD (initially distorted 4:3 SD)
Toon Disney
USA HD
VH1 HD
Weather Channel HD
WGN America HD


Correctly displays 4:3 SD programming, stretches commercials:
NBATV HD

Correctly displays 4:3 SD commercials, stretches programming:
TBS HD

Stretches/Zooms/Crops, grouped by corporate ownership:

A&E Television Networks:
A&E HD, Biography HD, History Channel HD, Crime and Investigation HD feedback@aetv.com

Rainbow Media Holdings:
AMC

Discovery Communications:
Animal Planet HD, Science HD, TLC HD, Discovery HD, Planet Green HD:Couldn't find an email address. You can use this. http://extweb.discovery.com/viewerrelations

Turner Broadcasting System:
[b]Cartoon Network HD, TNT HD: tnt@turner.com Use TNT in HD in the subject line

Scripps Networks:
Food Network HD, HGTV HD http://www.scripps.com/networks/networks-contact.html

Lifetime Networks:
Lifetime HD, Lifetime Movie Network HD

Cox Communications:
Travel Channel HD

IFC-HD

These channels falsely label everything as HD

Animal Planet HD
CMT HD
Discovery HD
Science HD
TBS HD
TNT HD

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mx6bfast is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 310 Old 09-26-2007, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sleeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I really fail to understand why the channels force the stretch down to us. Why not let us decide if we want to stretch or zoom.

Thank you ESPN, NFL, and Weather Channel.

-Brian
sleeks is offline  
post #3 of 310 Old 09-26-2007, 07:39 AM
Member
 
acd483's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm really disturbed by these channels dicking around with 4:3 content. Leave it to the consumer to zoom, stretch, etc. I know it's a marketing gimmick, but how patronizing!

What is worse is when the channel claims a show is HD, but it's really just stretched. That's false advertising.

acd483 is offline  
post #4 of 310 Old 09-26-2007, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
afiggatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Sterling, VA
Posts: 4,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You should change the title to "Which national HD channels distort 4:3 SD content and which don't". You want to keep this list separate from the broadcast networks that are at the mercy of what the local stations do which would only muddle the list. Second, specify 4:3 SD content because there is 4:3 HD content for old movies which amazingly enough TNT-HD does not stretch (but there are only two 4:3 HD movies I've seen on TNT-HD: Wizard of Oz, Gone with the Wind).

Add Lifetime Movie Network HD to the list of channels that stretch 4:3 SD. Not that I watch the channel, but I see the linear stretch as I surf up and down the HD channels on Fios.

PS. National Geographic HD does show some SD programs (older editions of their series shows) and does not stretch them. So put Nat Geo HD under the list of those who do not.
afiggatt is offline  
post #5 of 310 Old 09-26-2007, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sleeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I believe CNN is leaving it as it is. I only was able to watch for about 30 seconds this morning though.

-Brian
sleeks is offline  
post #6 of 310 Old 09-26-2007, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
mx6bfast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Delray Beach, FL
Posts: 6,891
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeks View Post

I really fail to understand why the channels force the stretch down to us. Why not let us decide if we want to stretch or zoom.

Thank you ESPN, NFL, and Weather Channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acd483 View Post

I'm really disturbed by these channels dicking around with 4:3 content. Leave it to the consumer to zoom, stretch, etc. I know it's a marketing gimmick, but how patronizing!

What is worse is when the channel claims a show is HD, but it's really just stretched. That's false advertising.

This is why I started this thread. So those that like what each channel is doing can say thank you and other that don't like their practice can voice their concerns. That's why we also needs email addresses.

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mx6bfast is offline  
post #7 of 310 Old 09-26-2007, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
mx6bfast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Delray Beach, FL
Posts: 6,891
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by afiggatt View Post

You should change the title to "Which national HD channels distort 4:3 SD content and which don't". You want to keep this list separate from the broadcast networks that are at the mercy of what the local stations do which would only muddle the list. Second, specify 4:3 SD content because there is 4:3 HD content for old movies which amazingly enough TNT-HD does not stretch (but there are only two 4:3 HD movies I've seen on TNT-HD: Wizard of Oz, Gone with the Wind).

Add Lifetime Movie Network HD to the list of channels that stretch 4:3 SD. Not that I watch the channel, but I see the linear stretch as I surf up and down the HD channels on Fios.

PS. National Geographic HD does show some SD programs (older editions of their series shows) and does not stretch them. So put Nat Geo HD under the list of those who do no.

Changed the wording to 4:3 SD programming. A mod has to change the title, but I think yours is a good idea.

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mx6bfast is offline  
post #8 of 310 Old 09-26-2007, 07:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 45,876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Topic title edited.

You can probably add TBS HD to the list of stretched.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Ken H is offline  
post #9 of 310 Old 09-26-2007, 07:59 AM
Moderator
 
CPanther95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 23,797
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
.... and CNN to the list of "leaves as is"
CPanther95 is offline  
post #10 of 310 Old 09-26-2007, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Marcus Carr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Baltimore City
Posts: 8,070
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
HGTV HD stretches infomercials and commercials, but all of their real programs are HD.

Golf/Vs does not stretch.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

Marcus Carr is offline  
post #11 of 310 Old 09-26-2007, 08:36 AM
Moderator
 
CPanther95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 23,797
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I'd like to also see an asterisk or some notation for any networks that label upconverted SD content as "HD" in their guide data. That really compounds the SD manipulation problem because scheduling recordings or viewings are affected.

I may pass on an SD program entirely, but there are times where even in SD I'll want to record, but if it's labeled incorrectly, I won't know to record the SD channel instead.
CPanther95 is offline  
post #12 of 310 Old 09-26-2007, 08:49 AM
Senior Member
 
teevman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
stretched content is hazardous to your health, mine anyways
teevman is offline  
post #13 of 310 Old 09-26-2007, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sleeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Working on an email campaign at dbstalk.

See link


http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=101206

-Brian
sleeks is offline  
post #14 of 310 Old 09-26-2007, 10:16 AM
Senior Member
 
BradleyGreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Savannah & Valdosta, GA
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Big 10 Net appears to leave it as it is...

B Green
DirecTV/Mediacom Valdosta/Comcast Savannah Subscriber
My Site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BradleyGreen is offline  
post #15 of 310 Old 09-26-2007, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Amnesia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

You can probably add TBS HD to the list of stretched.

"Probably"? I would hope that it wasn't added until stretching had been observed.

If people are just guessing, then what use is the list?
Amnesia is offline  
post #16 of 310 Old 09-26-2007, 10:21 AM
Moderator
 
CPanther95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 23,797
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
He's not guessing. TBS does the same goofy distorted circus mirror stretch that TNT uses.
CPanther95 is offline  
post #17 of 310 Old 09-26-2007, 10:23 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 28,287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post

"Probably"? I would hope that it wasn't added until stretching had been observed.

If people are just guessing, then what use is the list?

It wasn't a guess. TBS-HD is stretching. Looks rather bad in fact.
Keenan is offline  
post #18 of 310 Old 09-26-2007, 10:27 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 28,287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

He's not guessing. TBS does the same goofy distorted circus mirror stretch that TNT uses.

Yes, it's a hideous looking non-linear stretch of some sort.
Keenan is offline  
post #19 of 310 Old 09-26-2007, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Amnesia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Then I don't understand why he used the word "probably".
Amnesia is offline  
post #20 of 310 Old 09-26-2007, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Dayton
Posts: 2,523
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Where is (Discovery) HD Theatre ? The Discovery channel listed above is the simulcast of the standard Discovery channel, I presume.

HD Theatre falls under "Leaves as is".
hall is offline  
post #21 of 310 Old 09-26-2007, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Marcus Carr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Baltimore City
Posts: 8,070
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by hall View Post

Where is (Discovery) HD Theatre ? The Discovery channel listed above is the simulcast of the standard Discovery channel, I presume.

HD Theatre falls under "Leaves as is".

HD Theater doesn't show any 4:3 SD programs.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

Marcus Carr is offline  
post #22 of 310 Old 09-26-2007, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
mx6bfast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Delray Beach, FL
Posts: 6,891
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeks View Post

Working on an email campaign at dbstalk.

See link


http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=101206

We can work together. I'll keep mine up over here.

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mx6bfast is offline  
post #23 of 310 Old 09-26-2007, 11:51 AM
Senior Member
 
richiephx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Great idea...count me in

TNT: WE KNOW INTERRUPTIONS
TBS: TURNER BROADCASTING SUCKS
NBC: National Boredcasting Company
richiephx is offline  
post #24 of 310 Old 09-26-2007, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sleeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast View Post

We can work together. I'll keep mine up over here.


Perfect. The more the merrier. I'd love for these guys to get hammered with emails over the next few weeks. I realize they may not make a change overnight, but it can happen.

-Brian
sleeks is offline  
post #25 of 310 Old 09-26-2007, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
mx6bfast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Delray Beach, FL
Posts: 6,891
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeks View Post

Perfect. The more the merrier. I'd love for these guys to get hammered with emails over the next few weeks. I realize they may not make a change overnight, but it can happen.

ESPN did it, so you never know.

Maybe this can be stickied so it doesn't fall off the first page?

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mx6bfast is offline  
post #26 of 310 Old 09-26-2007, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sleeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast View Post

ESPN did it, so you never know.

Maybe this can be stickied so it doesn't fall off the first page?

Showtime also went to most movies being OAR thanks to this forum and emails/phone calls.

Personally, if a movie isn't in OAR, I don't watch. Thank goodness for HDNET Movies (and Netflix)

-Brian
sleeks is offline  
post #27 of 310 Old 09-26-2007, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PRMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Yorba Linda, CA, USA
Posts: 1,853
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can we differentiate between Discovery's zoomed channels and A&E's stretched channels?

While both are sub-optimal, I find that I can actually watch Discovery's channels. I don't like it, but I can watch it, because 300 lb people aren't running around.
PRMan is offline  
post #28 of 310 Old 09-26-2007, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
mx6bfast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Delray Beach, FL
Posts: 6,891
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRMan View Post

Can we differentiate between Discovery's zoomed channels and A&E's stretched channels?

While both are sub-optimal, I find that I can actually watch Discovery's channels. I don't like it, but I can watch it, because 300 lb people aren't running around.

I had them broken out earlier but put them together because they might zoom and stretch. I just didn't want to run into a station that does both. I guess we would have to create a new section for that.

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mx6bfast is offline  
post #29 of 310 Old 09-26-2007, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
afiggatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Sterling, VA
Posts: 4,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So it this a DirecTV thread for the HD channels currently carried on DirecTV? Where is National Geographic HD (no stretch), Lifetime Movie Network HD (stretches all SD). These two are going to be up on D* at some point. The fact that Lifetime Movie Net HD is stretched strongly indicates that Lifetime will be a stretched channel whenever the HD version goes live.

I don't recall seeing any stretching on HGTV, except for commercials, because I thought it was all HD channel. If they stretch only the commercials, does that count? If so, Showtime HD stretches the upconverted promos for their shows & movies. If the channel is going to be listed for only stretching the promos and/or commercials, then that should be noted in the list.
afiggatt is offline  
post #30 of 310 Old 09-26-2007, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
mx6bfast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Delray Beach, FL
Posts: 6,891
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by afiggatt View Post

So it this a DirecTV thread for the HD channels currently carried on DirecTV? Where is National Geographic HD (no stretch), Lifetime Movie Network HD (stretches all SD). These two are going to be up on D* at some point. The fact that Lifetime Movie Net HD is stretched strongly indicates that Lifetime will be a stretched channel whenever the HD version goes live.

I don't recall seeing any stretching on HGTV, except for commercials, because I thought it was all HD channel. If they stretch only the commercials, does that count? If so, Showtime HD stretches the upconverted promos for their shows & movies. If the channel is going to be listed for only stretching the promos and/or commercials, then that should be noted in the list.

No this is for all carriers. No one is safe.

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mx6bfast is offline  
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off