post #91 of 287 Old 10-10-2007, 02:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Having had Cablevision and now FIOS, I can't agree. Although I'm frustrated by what I hear regarding additional HD, there's no way that Cablevision's I/O digital SD was better than FIOS.

Well, I'm sure it varies by the channel you watch. For example, in the past, people have complained about some of the animation / kids channels on FiOS.

A few channels like Fox News are no better for me than Comcast. However, on most of the digital SD channels I watch, picture quality is a very obvious improvement over the digital simulcast on Comcast. Those channels include:

CNN
CNBC
FX
History, Military, etc
USA

A number of SD channels on FiOS feature resolution of 704x480 with bitrates as high as 4.5 Mbps . All of my Comcast SD digital channels were 528x480 or 544x480, with bitrates no higher than 3.0 - 3.2 Mbps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 287 Old 10-10-2007, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

comcast has usa at leat in HD and dtv has cnbc, fx, history and usa in hd so i hope fios better have a better sd pq then sd versions of competion being they dont hve an hd version of it.

but i dont now about cablevision other then i heard its crappy. i'm talking aout the 3 main best choices in teh Phila areas. And Comcast sd and hd pq is equal or better to fios, so there goes fios one redeeming quality.

the supposed speculative better sd quality was never worth all that you lost with comcast anyway including hd on demand and better working dvr boxes etc. etc.

many ppl that had comcast and switch to fios and have since switched back. fios is a bit of a flop so far.
post #93 of 287 Old 10-10-2007, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstatguy112 View Post

[size="4"][/SIZE
I recently switched from Cablevision to Fios.
First off Fios claim they have the best picture is not true. Cablevision's picture in SD was better than Fios and HD was just as good.
Cablevision's HD selection 42 vs. 22 for Fios is also much better. Fios gives you WealthTV-HD (Yawn) and Food-HD (Double Yawn) while cablevision has all the old VOOM HD channels including UniversalHD MonsterHD MoviechannelHD and the GOLFHD channel (which is included in your Cablevision at no extra cost whereas everything in Fios is an extra fee). I had to watch the baseball playoffs in SD because TBS-HD is not available on FIOS even though on cable and satellite you can get it.
I pay about $20 more in surcharges and fees every month. Try to find an explanation for a "Video Franchise FEE" on their web site, good luck. Even when you call them about this fee they dont even explain it right.
And forget about equipment fees. With Cablevision I paid about $20 a month extra for equipment including DVR, now with FIOS I pay about $38 a month for the same amount of service almost doubled.
FIOS nickels and dimes you to death just like SIRSurcharge tells you in the commercial.
The only reason I switched companies was the phone service was terrible with Cablevision cause if you were on the phone and your intermet service froze your call went dead. All their remedies failed to work and the frustration level became to high.
FIOS needs to listen to their customers more instead of being in it "Only for the Money".
All's they can tell you is we are looking into everything which means nothing is being done

ok so i guess CAblevision is better then fios, i thought it was just comcast and dtv that were better.

so fios is ony as good or better then what now? TWC?
post #94 of 287 Old 10-10-2007, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVEN56706 View Post

not to go off topic but how is Fios's internet connection?

to prove i can say something positive about fios, i will say the internet sevice is half decent. i have 15/2 and its pretty good with stable speeds.

i will be keeping it but at first i was a little anoyed i had to pay more for the 15/2 as the 5/2 wasn't as fast as the comcast cable modem connection i had before.

somehow with comcast i had a super fast top tier speeds connection from speed tests that fios didn't think i could be getting from cable modem but i was. and i was grandfathered in paying the lowest price before they had tiered speeds andpricing.

so that ws disappointing at first switching to fios and having to pay more for 15/2. but again its been decent. just sucks they dont offer 20/5 in my area as the next jump up from 15/2 is 30/5 or something and its like triple or more theprice so not worth it at all.
post #95 of 287 Old 10-10-2007, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey Vurbano, is that YOU...defending D*. I've been with you all along regarding D*'s miserable compression and down-rezzing. I've been extremely pleased with FIOS after having D* for so many years. It's only very recently I've become disgruntled with the lack of new HD from FIOS. But, until D* moves some very very popular HD channels to Mpeg4, I have some serious doubts about switching back.

I'm only guessing, but I bet by the time D* switches all their Mpeg2 to Mpeg4, FIOS will have all the new HD channels. We shall see.

you switched to fios at the wrong time. when fios had hgtv hd and food hd before comcast they were the best in our area with a couple mroe hd chans though not as good as comcast in other ways still and no hd on demand all this time since they launched though it was promised long ago.

now fios has fallen behind comcast even in hd chans let alone everything else that they never matched them in.

i'm not ruling out switching back to fios some day when they are back on top, but it seems from what is known and also not said by fios that it is going to be awhile before they even match teh hd chans of comcast and some they may never get.

as far as catching up to DTV, that is goign to be even longer if ever. so i'm thinking i'll be with dtv a long time before there is any need to switch bck to fios. even if dtv doestn work out, i'm happy to go back to comcast as we never had any problem with it that we did with fios tv.

and you can get out of fios tv with no etf and even get a discount for having dtv and fios internet and phone.
post #96 of 287 Old 10-10-2007, 10:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatre View Post

to prove i can say something positive about fios, i will say the internet sevice is half decent. i have 15/2 and its pretty good with stable speeds.

i will be keeping it but at first i was a little anoyed i had to pay more for the 15/2 as the 5/2 wasn't as fast as the comcast cable modem connection i had before.

so that ws disappointing at first switching to fios and having to pay more for 15/2. but again its been decent. just sucks they dont offer 20/5 in my area as the next jump up from 15/2 is 30/5 or something and its like triple or more theprice so not worth it at all.

LOL.. Pretty good? How many different experiences have you had with fios and comcast, just your one home? Fios is leaps and f-ing shoulders above other ISP's so far. A friend not far was on adelphia, it was slow and acted up.. They got bought out by comcast and it's even worse. My gf has lived in two places, both with comcast. At one place it was HORRENDOUS (<1mbps, and they said it was fine, always). And at the new place it drops out periodically and speeds are ok. I'm not a verizon fanboy (as a matter of fact I HATE with a passion their customer service), but I stick with them because their actual service is top notch (same with verizon wireless).

Also, what was your upload speed with comcast? I HIGHLY doubt it was 2mb, but was probably the usual lousy 768Kb. IMO, a nice upload speed is crucial. Why in God's name do you even need 15 or 20 Mbps download? I can maybe understand if you live with a bunch of friends and you're all d/ling stuff on ********** all day, but you probably shouldn't be doing that in the first place. lol I credit fios because EVERY SINGLE TIME I've run a benchmark to test the speed, it's rock solid and as advertised. Comcast is all over the place from one minute to the next.

I do know for a fact that comcast doesn't even offer 5Mb upload speeds, and I can understand why verizon charges so much. In terms or reliability and performance, fios hands down wipes the table with comcast (I know several people that have fios, all share my same opinion).

Now, back on topic.. It sounds like good old fashioned poor management and planning on verizon's part. I fully understand why people would want to ditch fios tv for more channels. I will stay put since I feel the bang for the buck far exceeds cable and directv. I can live w/o the new HD channels for a little while (they added quite a few HD channels before anyone else did so no complaints there).
post #97 of 287 Old 10-11-2007, 01:09 AM
AVS Special Member

thanks for telling me off about the internet services they provide in comparison to one competitor. i exlained i had a rare fast cable modem conecti with comcast for a lower price, the price being the key. i already said that the fios internet services was good. Then you barrade me about why do i need the speed. many ppl have faster connections then 15/2, and id ont have to explain to you why I need it or what type of business i do from home etc.

this thread is about Verizons lack of adding new HD chans like the competition when they are actually supposed to have more bandwidth adn capability then cable companies but so far it seems opposite.

in fact i never brought up internet in here i dont think, others did to defend verizon fios services.

i could see if this is a bias pro fios tv thread but its not, it is about exactly what i'm complaining about and why i'm dropping them. they have not kept their promises, haven't improved and arent making additions and improvements lik their competition. its as ift hey dotn care about the tv service much and have therefore fallen to the 3rd best choice in my area of 3 main choices.
post #98 of 287 Old 10-11-2007, 02:18 AM

Quote:

Having had Cablevision and now FIOS, I can't agree. Although I'm frustrated by what I hear regarding additional HD, there's no way that Cablevision's I/O digital SD was better than FIOS.

ABSOLUTEY RIGHT - I switched from Cablevison to FIOS in late May. The SD picture is vastly superior to Cablevison and even the HD is noticebly better.

As far as price goes, I was paying Cablevision $140/mo. (including taxes) for TV and internet service, including one DVR . I'm now paying Verizon $134/mo. for comparable TV service, which includes TWO DVR's, and FASTER internet service. No promotions of any kind.

Am I disappointed by the inexcusable delay in the addition of HD channels - hell yes. But why would anyone switch back to crapola Cablevision when in six to eight months Verizon will be poised to match even Direct TV in HD channels. As far as the VOOM channels go, they are useless "eye candy" and a waste of precious bandwith - HDNet is worth more than all of them combined.
post #99 of 287 Old 10-11-2007, 05:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
i'm still waiting on the statistics to support the statement that "a lot of people are dumping verizon".
post #100 of 287 Old 10-11-2007, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHolleman View Post

i'm still waiting on the statistics to support the statement that "a lot of people are dumping verizon".

Verizon is still expanding...at least in Marlton,NJ they are at 3-5 weeks for installation. maybe they are short handed, but I doubt it.

Also, I have had D* for 7 years....actually, my account is suspended while I try FIOS. I am a little bummed about the HD programming but I have my RSN which is a huge plus!!!

FIOS HD and SD (overall) is better than D*. But Verizon's lack of hd programming and "tight lipped" reputation perturbs me a bit. There is no secret to letting customers know they plan on having a HD channel by.....

To me, this is ignorance and causes people to "hang in there" guessing that 6 new hd channels "could" be added any day. It's a bit annoying.

Anyway, it's a trade off at this point because alot of the SD channels on fios are SD on D*, but FIOS has MUCH better SD PQ. However, on the other hand their are some nice HD channels on D* that I'd love to have....TBS, Discovery channel and a few others....but NO RSN. That's the killer. Well, I guess I'll be the fool who waits by the TV for more HD channels!!! I can ALWAYS fall back to D* if all else fails!!!

Acts 17:27
"His purpose in all of this was that the nations would seek after GOD and perhaps feel their way toward him and find him-though he is not far from any of us"
Yamaha Drum kit....
post #101 of 287 Old 10-11-2007, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 46
mikelets456: D* just added a bunch of RSNs so check the sticky to see if yours is there.
post #102 of 287 Old 10-11-2007, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

mikelets456: D* just added a bunch of RSNs so check the sticky to see if yours is there.

Which sticky? Do you need the sports pack or subscribe to "....league pass"

Acts 17:27
"His purpose in all of this was that the nations would seek after GOD and perhaps feel their way toward him and find him-though he is not far from any of us"
Yamaha Drum kit....
post #103 of 287 Old 10-11-2007, 08:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

A number of SD channels on FiOS feature resolution of 704x480 with bitrates as high as 4.5 Mbps . All of my Comcast SD digital channels were 528x480 or 544x480, with bitrates no higher than 3.0 - 3.2 Mbps.

bfdtv, I may have missed it, but I can't recall seeing bitrates & rez #s for the HD channels on FIOS. Since you've got them for SD, do you have these for HDs?
post #104 of 287 Old 10-11-2007, 08:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

you switched to fios at the wrong time.

Not really. I switched to FIOS about a year ago, as soon as they were available in my area. So for a year I've enjoyed better HD picture quality with more quantity than D*. It's only literally within the last couple of weeks that has changed. So I would have done the same thing if I had to do it over again.

As I said before, the same low quality, compressed, reduced resolution Mpeg2HD channels are still there on D* with no announcement as to when/if they will be restored to full quality. It's still a mixed bag on D*.
post #105 of 287 Old 10-11-2007, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post

Verizon is still expanding...at least in Marlton,NJ they are at 3-5 weeks for installation. maybe they are short handed, but I doubt it.

Also, I have had D* for 7 years....actually, my account is suspended while I try FIOS. I am a little bummed about the HD programming but I have my RSN which is a huge plus!!!

FIOS HD and SD (overall) is better than D*. But Verizon's lack of hd programming and "tight lipped" reputation perturbs me a bit. There is no secret to letting customers know they plan on having a HD channel by.....

To me, this is ignorance and causes people to "hang in there" guessing that 6 new hd channels "could" be added any day. It's a bit annoying.

Anyway, it's a trade off at this point because alot of the SD channels on fios are SD on D*, but FIOS has MUCH better SD PQ. However, on the other hand their are some nice HD channels on D* that I'd love to have....TBS, Discovery channel and a few others....but NO RSN. That's the killer. Well, I guess I'll be the fool who waits by the TV for more HD channels!!! I can ALWAYS fall back to D* if all else fails!!!

yeah i know. my comment was directed towards Quatre and his unsubstantiated comments about subscribers leaving Vz for not "fullfilling their promises". If he's got such a hard on for bashing Vz, he's should at least provide some emperical data to support his claims rather than make blanket statements about the company and service based upon his experiences.
post #106 of 287 Old 10-11-2007, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Well, according to posts in the other VZ Programming thread, some customers are reporting seeing A&E HD listed on ch 842 .. While their screen is still black, this probably indicates we are all getting this channel rolled out over the next couple of weeks ...
Bummer .. I was hoping that Someone @ Fios would have been able to "re-coinoiter" their rollout to get SciFi, USA or Disc/Bravo out first ...
Here's hoping that at least 1 more HD rolls out along with A&E ...
post #107 of 287 Old 10-11-2007, 01:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

bfdtv, I may have missed it, but I can't recall seeing bitrates & rez #s for the HD channels on FIOS. Since you've got them for SD, do you have these for HDs?

I haven't made a list, but I can tell you the resolution and bitrate for any national channel on FiOS.
post #108 of 287 Old 10-11-2007, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatChicken View Post

Well, according to posts in the other VZ Programming thread, some customers are reporting seeing A&E HD listed on ch 842 .. While their screen is still black, this probably indicates we are all getting this channel rolled out over the next couple of weeks ...
Bummer .. I was hoping that Someone @ Fios would have been able to "re-coinoiter" their rollout to get SciFi, USA or Disc/Bravo out first ...
Here's hoping that at least 1 more HD rolls out along with A&E ...

Ok - which geographical area?
post #109 of 287 Old 10-11-2007, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post

Ok - which geographical area?

His member info says CA, so I assume that is where he is. We should wait to get a confirming report from some one else in CA or another region where they added a placeholder for a channel 842 before we get too excited.
post #110 of 287 Old 10-11-2007, 01:34 PM

It was me who reported it in the other thread. Info was good as of 6:30 AM Pacific Time. Since I am at work I cannot confirm if it is still there.
post #111 of 287 Old 10-11-2007, 02:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I haven't made a list, but I can tell you the resolution and bitrate for any national channel on FiOS.

How about HDNet & Discovery HD?
post #112 of 287 Old 10-11-2007, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Discovery HD isn't on FiOS yet right? You must be talking about "HD Theater"

Oh yeah, got an email from Discovery Communications. FiOS people should be seeing the Discovery Networks in HD "soon," no exact time line though.
post #113 of 287 Old 10-11-2007, 03:20 PM

Quote:

many ppl that had comcast and switch to fios and have since switched back. fios is a bit of a flop so far.

Quatre- you have quite a knack for making blanket statements in your posts that are completely unsubstantiated. If you posts are to be considered credible, you need to back them up with real numbers and facts. To your quote above, I also live in Philly and have neither heard or read about "MANY" people switching back to Comcast from FIOS.

As for your recent praising of DirecTV, you have consistently neglected to mention that for any sports fan living in Philly, D* is absolutely 100% NOT AN OPTION as they do not carry the local RSN, Comcast SportsNet Philly. For those of you not located in the region, this means that ~95% of all Phillies, 76ers, and Flyers games would not be available to you as a D* subscriber.... not in HD... not in SD. For those of us sports fans in Philly, of which there are many, D* could offer 500+ HD channels and they still would not be a viable alternative to Comcast or FIOS as they do not carry the one channel that they need to in order to be a true competitor.

Regarding the HD channel offering on FIOS, would I like to see more? Absolutely! However, I'm far from pushing the panic button and switching back to Comcast. The quality of both SD & HD offered by FIOS is top notch - as for quantity, I'm willing to be somewhat patient. I guess that makes me one of the 'minority' FIOS customers that is not running back to Comcast.
post #114 of 287 Old 10-11-2007, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

It was very well known that D* was going to add all the new HD channels at least 1.5 to 2 years ago. The biggest concern I have about FIOS is that they weren't able to match D*, and being a neophyte TV operation that is almost a fatal flaw.

Mickey mouse management.
post #115 of 287 Old 10-11-2007, 09:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

DTHHD - 1920x1080 @ ~16.50 Mbps ABR, 18.2 Mbps peak
Hdnet - 1920x1080 @ ~17.65 Mbps ABR, 19.393 Mbps peak
post #116 of 287 Old 10-12-2007, 03:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

DTHHD - 1920x1080 @ ~16.50 Mbps ABR, 18.2 Mbps peak
Hdnet - 1920x1080 @ ~17.65 Mbps ABR, 19.393 Mbps peak

How did you get this info? and if FIOS is supposed to be passing through HD signals untouched, why aren't these stations at max bitrates?
post #117 of 287 Old 10-12-2007, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhey View Post

How did you get this info? and if FIOS is supposed to be passing through HD signals untouched, why aren't these stations at max bitrates?

I'm going to guess his answer will be that the bitrates are as they are received by VZ......
post #118 of 287 Old 10-12-2007, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

thanks for telling me off about the internet services they provide in comparison to one competitor. i exlained i had a rare fast cable modem conecti with comcast for a lower price, the price being the key. i already said that the fios internet services was good. Then you barrade me about why do i need the speed. many ppl have faster connections then 15/2, and id ont have to explain to you why I need it or what type of business i do from home etc.

in fact i never brought up internet in here i dont think, others did to defend verizon fios services.

its as ift hey dotn care about the tv service much and have therefore fallen to the 3rd best choice in my area of 3 main choices.

So you had a "rare fast" (ie: NOT THE NORM) connection so that justifies you being a foot up comcast's a$$? lol. The NORM is that comcast sucks (sorry to break it to you), you just had ONE good experience (or who knows maybe you work for them). You never brought up internet but what's this?

Quote:

See, when you go running your mouth like a little fanboy you deserve what's coming. You say it's "half decent." That's a load of bs. I would say comcast is borderline "half decent" to not good. Fios internet is very good. Like I said, you can't take your one data point and extrapolate that across their whole service. Ever taken statistics?

Again, comcast doesn't even offer 2Mb upload as the norm, so again, no comparison. You're right you don't have to explain to me what you're doing with the bandwidth, I don't want to know. Point is, if you need the bandwidth, you pay for it. Just because you were getting a higher bandwidth (in exchange for some favors for the cable guy) doesn't make the service better. If you had good service, great, but don't go running your mouth that comcast is better than fios.. Just looking at the speed tests on dslreports will clearly tell you otherwise.

Regarding verizon's channel lineup, I bet 99% of their customers could give 2 s**ts whether or not they receive HD channels immediately. Like others have said, verizon's SD channel quality is leaps and bounds better than directv when I switched years ago. They also rolled out local HD and other HD channels long before a friend with directv got them (did I mention he also pays alot more for the same stuff and has had to change boxes/dishes and other nonsense)? Directv is good, I have no problems with their service, I just prefer fios. But, just because verizon doesn't get HD channels immediately is no reason to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Not having the latest HD channels come out immediately is a-ok.
post #119 of 287 Old 10-12-2007, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeoz View Post

Regarding verizon's channel lineup, I bet 99% of their customers could give 2 s**ts whether or not they receive HD channels immediately.

HD penetration is a lot higher than 1%. My guess is it's higher still for fios customers compare to the general population. But you think 99% of fios customers don't care about the 150 HD channels the ubiquitous D* commercials are rubbing in their faces? Fanboy, heal thyself.
post #120 of 287 Old 10-12-2007, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

HD penetration is a lot higher than 1%. My guess is it's higher still for fios customers compare to the general population. But you think 99% of fios customers don't care about the 150 HD channels the ubiquitous D* commercials are rubbing in their faces? Fanboy, heal thyself.

Reading comprehension is your friend, please return back to 5th grade. LOL I said 99% of people could careless if they don't get channels IMMEDIATELY, not HD penetration is 1%. Try reading next time.

150 HD channels WHERE?! I had their s**t service for a long time, and a friend got it recently and I STILL have more HD channels than him (last time I was over there). D* is still rubbing the s**t out of their faces since they've been FAR behind the curve. D* said they'd have alot of HD channels years ago, how's that been for ya! ROFL

Like I've said, I'm no fanboy. I simply go with the best overall service.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page