post #721 of 815 Old 11-04-2011, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by steppinrazer View Post

"It's very exciting to know we'll boost our high-definition lineup by more than 70% early in 2012," Skinner said.

so that means the QCA will have like what 30 HD channels ??

or instead of "lineup" they meant "capacity" in which they can slowly roll out like 3 crap channels every quarter..!

I prefer to be a "glass half full" person here....they have more than 30 HD channels--closer to 40 or more. And they're set up here to add some significant additions in HD such as AMC, etc., which are already on their nearby systems. I guess we'll see; I'm as disappointed as anyone that they've lagged behind even their own nearby systems.

Mediacom Digital Cable and OTA HD
Panny TC-P55GT50 -- Denon AVR-1713 -- TiVo Premiere XL4 -- Sony BDP-S5100 -- SlingBox 350 -- Polk 5.1 Speakers -- Logitech Harmony One
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 815 Old 11-06-2011, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If one looks at what Mediacom did in terms of adding HD stations in other areas, after reducing analog channels down to basically just local broadcast stations, one should hope that eventually everyone will have the same "HD Family Cable" lineup. Here is a lineup which shows what all Mediacom customers will hopefully be able to get, perhaps even before the start of the next decade (or for sure by the decade after that): Atmore, Brewton, East Brewton & Escambia County, AL
post #723 of 815 Old 11-22-2011, 07:56 AM

Is anybody successfully using a HD Home Run Prime box with Mediacom? I'd love to do away with my expensive cable boxes.

The only channel I really watch that we don't have here in the Quad Cities is AMC, but this is a big one. Hope they add it after the digital switchover.
post #724 of 815 Old 11-22-2011, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobber8742 View Post

Is anybody successfully using a HD Home Run Prime box with Mediacom? I'd love to do away with my expensive cable boxes.

The only channel I really watch that we don't have here in the Quad Cities is AMC, but this is a big one. Hope they add it after the digital switchover.

I just made the switch to the HD Home Run Prime here in Marion and it's awesome! Had a couple minor glitches with the modem to start with but it's working great now. I use Windows 7 Media Center on a HTPC in the family room and an Xbox 360 as an extender to the other TV in the kitchen/dining area.

I was using SageTV and an R5000-HD with Dish before and could only watch or record one non-ATSC program at a time. We're in multi-tuner bliss now.
post #725 of 815 Old 11-23-2011, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...The only channel I really watch that we don't have here in the Quad Cities is AMC, but this is a big one. Hope they add it after the digital switchover.

I can't echo that enough. I watch more on AMC now than ever (Walking Dead, The Killing, Hell on Wheels, Mad Men, Breaking Bad). But I'm pretty certain AMC HD will be added here when the switchover occurs...

Panny TC-P55GT50 -- Denon AVR-1713 -- TiVo Premiere XL4 -- Sony BDP-S5100 -- SlingBox 350 -- Polk 5.1 Speakers -- Logitech Harmony One
post #726 of 815 Old 12-28-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guppyman View Post

I just made the switch to the HD Home Run Prime here in Marion and it's awesome! Had a couple minor glitches with the modem to start with but it's working great now. I use Windows 7 Media Center on a HTPC in the family room and an Xbox 360 as an extender to the other TV in the kitchen/dining area.

I was using SageTV and an R5000-HD with Dish before and could only watch or record one non-ATSC program at a time. We're in multi-tuner bliss now.

With using your setup are you able to watch live and recorded shows on your extenders? What are the advantages of HD Home Run Prime over a Ceton tuner card?
post #727 of 815 Old 12-28-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudg View Post

With using your setup are you able to watch live and recorded shows on your extenders? What are the advantages of HD Home Run Prime over a Ceton tuner card?

Yes and yes. I didn't want to mess with installing the Ceton card although it has one more tuner. I already used home run products and like the easy network set up and availability.
post #728 of 815 Old 12-28-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:

Yes and yes. I didn't want to mess with installing the Ceton card although it has one more tuner. I already used home run products and like the easy network set up and availability.

I am just looking into the possiblity of setting up a HDTV running WMC and extenders so please excuse my ignorace. Is the quality of playing HD content on an extender up to HD quality?
post #729 of 815 Old 12-28-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudg View Post

I am just looking into the possiblity of setting up a HDTV running WMC and extenders so please excuse my ignorace. Is the quality of playing HD content on an extender up to HD quality?

Yes
post #730 of 815 Old 12-30-2011, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks like Mediacom may drop KWQC at midnight tomorrow night. But, as often happens, these things iron themselves out at the last minute. But those of you who watch KWQC on Mediacom (and record shows) need to be prepared to move your HD viewing/recording to OTA 6.1 from digital 705.

post #731 of 815 Old 01-05-2012, 03:59 PM

I just got my HD Homerun Prime yesterday, but haven't been able to get the cable card activated. I've called Mediacom twice to get card provisioned, but still shows not activated. Did you have to do anything else for activation? Thanks Rok
post #732 of 815 Old 01-05-2012, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokstock View Post

I just got my HD Homerun Prime yesterday, but haven't been able to get the cable card activated. I've called Mediacom twice to get card provisioned, but still shows not activated. Did you have to do anything else for activation? Thanks Rok

Keep after them...MC is very ignorant when it comes to CableCARDS. They're required by law to get them up and running...

post #733 of 815 Old 01-05-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bierboy View Post

Keep after them...MC is very ignorant when it comes to CableCARDS. They're required by law to get them up and running...

I'll second that. Make sure they gave you a M-card. The first card they gave me wasn't. I had to go to the Mediacom office and swap it for a M-card.
post #734 of 815 Old 01-05-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:

I'll second that. Make sure they gave you a M-card. The first card they gave me wasn't. I had to go to the Mediacom office and swap it for a M-card.

I have an M card and also have a Tivo with one. The Tivo set up easily, just wondered if there was something obvious I was missing. Nice to know it works on Mediacom though.
post #735 of 815 Old 01-06-2012, 10:52 AM

Liked: 37
My TiVo with an M card has lost some channels in the couple years I've had it. I don't have the stamina to have them try to fix it because it took over two days of vacation time just to get it going initially. They don't know a CableCARD from a hole in the ground.

And now they're about to kill off the analog channels above 23, which my older TiVo in a bedroom relies on. That unit will soon be severely limited in its usefulness.

I shudder to think of getting Mediacom's DVR. Is it as bad as I imagine?
post #736 of 815 Old 01-07-2012, 08:39 AM

I have the original TiVo Series3 that requires two CCs and I got two of them installed just about exactly two years ago now and the installation went perfectly and I haven't had a problem. Well, other than I don't get the free HBO or Showtime previews that you can get if use their own STBs for whatever reason, which oddly enough I used to be able to tune in before I even had CableCARDs.
post #737 of 815 Old 01-07-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddR View Post

I shudder to think of getting Mediacom's DVR. Is it as bad as I imagine?

Whenever I go to someone's house that has one... yes, they still make me cringe. Even the most basic feature of fast forwarding and rewinding can get messed up on the current model they give out. The old DCT6412 model I had back before getting the TiVo S3 in the fall 2006 was... well, there's a reason I paid the premium I did back then for the S3, let's just put it that way.
post #738 of 815 Old 01-07-2012, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorygate View Post

Well, other than I don't get the free HBO or Showtime previews that you can get if use their own STBs for whatever reason, which oddly enough I used to be able to tune in before I even had CableCARDs.

I get all the free previews via cablecard on JVC HDTV with CC, SONY DVR w/CC, and Windows Media Center with Ceton tuner w/CC. Did you try the showtime free preview that is going on now?
post #739 of 815 Old 01-07-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatHappend View Post

I get all the free previews via cablecard on JVC HDTV with CC, SONY DVR w/CC, and Windows Media Center with Ceton tuner w/CC. Did you try the showtime free preview that is going on now?

Nope (just checked again and it still doesn't come in), and I'm not the only Mediacom customer. I didn't get the HBO preview from the summer of 2010 either. At least now I know it isn't because of not having their leased equipment. Apparently, not all Mediacom managers want to have anything to do with the free preview weekends.
post #740 of 815 Old 01-08-2012, 01:10 PM

I'm getting the Showtime preview right now. I'm not sure Mediacom has my cablecard in my Ceton set up right or not yet though. It's still giving me an error, but all the channels are working as they should right now. That may or may not change in a couple days (that's what happened when they give me my first card before they came and replaced it).

Anyone know the specific date the analog shuts off? I personally can't wait for the prospect of several more HD channels.
post #741 of 815 Old 01-09-2012, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorygate View Post

I have the original TiVo Series3 that requires two CCs and I got two of them installed just about exactly two years ago now and the installation went perfectly and I haven't had a problem. Well, other than I don't get the free HBO or Showtime previews that you can get if use their own STBs for whatever reason, which oddly enough I used to be able to tune in before I even had CableCARDs.

That's odd because my original S3 with two CableCARDS received the Showtime free preview this past weekend...

post #742 of 815 Old 01-09-2012, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...Anyone know the specific date the analog shuts off? I personally can't wait for the prospect of several more HD channels.

According to this QC Times article, by the end of this month. BTW, don't expect HD channel additions right away. MC has a history of lagging slowly on these...

Operations Director Phil Skinner did say this in an article in the Moline Dispatch -- ""It's very exciting to know we'll boost our high-definition lineup by more than 70% early in 2012," Skinner said. "But the preliminary step is to phase-out most of the analog channels and help customers gain the better quality of an all-digital lineup..."

post #743 of 815 Old 01-09-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:

I have an M card and also have a Tivo with one. The Tivo set up easily, just wondered if there was something obvious I was missing. Nice to know it works on Mediacom though.

Cablecard finally was activated today after just 5 phone calls to Mediacom. Thanks to everyone for the encouragement!!!
post #744 of 815 Old 01-09-2012, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Cablecard finally was activated today after just 5 phone calls to Mediacom. Thanks to everyone for the encouragement!!!

Excellent...persistence is the word when dealing with MC.

post #745 of 815 Old 01-10-2012, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bierboy View Post

According to this QC Times article, by the end of this month. BTW, don't expect HD channel additions right away. MC has a history of lagging slowly on these...

Operations Director Phil Skinner did say this in an article in the Moline Dispatch -- ""It's very exciting to know we'll boost our high-definition lineup by more than 70% early in 2012," Skinner said. "But the preliminary step is to phase-out most of the analog channels and help customers gain the better quality of an all-digital lineup..."

Yeah, I didn't expect it to be instant. I did notice something pretty interesting and the cable guy noticed it too. On the channel guide in Windows Media Center it shows NFL Network HD even though that channel is not available in the Quad Cities. I told him it pulls the guide from the Internet. Maybe it's planned to be added soon. Won't matter for me though, as I don't subscribe to the sports package. I'm just looking forward to AMC HD and maybe a couple stations for the wife. The only channels I can think of she watches that that we don't get in HD right now are MTV, VH1, and ABC Family.
post #746 of 815 Old 01-10-2012, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, I didn't expect it to be instant. I did notice something pretty interesting and the cable guy noticed it too. On the channel guide in Windows Media Center it shows NFL Network HD even though that channel is not available in the Quad Cities. I told him it pulls the guide from the Internet. Maybe it's planned to be added soon. Won't matter for me though, as I don't subscribe to the sports package. I'm just looking forward to AMC HD and maybe a couple stations for the wife. The only channels I can think of she watches that that we don't get in HD right now are MTV, VH1, and ABC Family.

My TiVo program guide has listed NFL HD on 766 for the past several months, but there's nothing there.

post #747 of 815 Old 01-11-2012, 10:24 AM

In Henry Co. NFL Network is channel 666..
MC was kind enough to give a free preview for the entire month of December!
post #748 of 815 Old 01-11-2012, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steppinrazer View Post

In Henry Co. NFL Network is channel 666..
MC was kind enough to give a free preview for the entire month of December!

We had a free preview also, but, as with yours, it was just the SD channel. No HD...

post #749 of 815 Old 01-11-2012, 10:38 AM

I should have said ours was the HD channel.. there are a few other channels in the 670 range that are HD. History 2 and a few others which I don't get in my package
post #750 of 815 Old 01-23-2012, 03:57 PM

According to the Mediacom channel lineup site, as of Jan 20th Cedar Rapids is up to 100 HD channels. That's pretty nice considering how meager the HD selection was a couple years ago.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page