Mediacom HDTV - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 815 Old 08-13-2008, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm envious of you all. I live in a more rural north west indiana area. HD isn't even available in my area. Although, something must have changed around here recently because the analog cable looks so much better, well with amplifier too but still better than before when there was the amp. Scan with my set top box or tv only brings up music channels.

Anyone know what channels in hd would be available in northwest indiana anyways? I think its based out of Francesville, Indiana?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 815 Old 08-14-2008, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

i called mediacom. talked to a csr. she said that my area (champaign county, and ford counties) started adding new hd channels 8/4 but didn't know when all of them would be added. i'm going to call my local office in rantoul.
post #183 of 815 Old 08-14-2008, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

in the past weeks i've seen wgn, comcast, and a&e hd channels pop in in moline.
post #184 of 815 Old 08-16-2008, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

mediacom needs to up their game. this staggering is just b.s. i went into my local office and asked when this area was going to get the hd channels of a&e, history, ans sci-fi. the csr there told me that they just found out at the office, the previous day, that they have usa hd. i was dumfounded. i told them that it's been on for a week now. the techs didn't know. the office staff didn't know. so, i told them to come here and check out this website for all of the latest news on updates and about home theater. she wrote down the url and the forum threads to click on to get here. i guess now we are the pipeline of info for mediacom. crazy! she did say that mediacom is planning to add more hd channels by winter. channels like the weather channel, animal planet. you know, crap that people only watch when their is nothing else on. yah!
post #185 of 815 Old 08-16-2008, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
You already have plenty of HD channels, jpark89. You can only watch one at a time, after all.

Mediacom csr
post #186 of 815 Old 08-16-2008, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanotheron View Post

You already have plenty of HD channels, jpark89. You can only watch one at a time, after all.

Mediacom csr

sounds like the CSR who told me I would have to go on a 3 month waiting list for a HDDVR.. I drove to the local office the next day and picked one up... hehe
post #187 of 815 Old 08-17-2008, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanotheron View Post

Mediacom csr

anything less than D* or E* is not enough, especially with the prices of mediacom service. i would still have D* if they hadn't put up a greenhouse behind me and the landlord would let me trim these trees.

are you a mediacom csr?
post #188 of 815 Old 08-17-2008, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpark89 View Post

are you a mediacom csr?

No, I was just pulling your leg.

Mel
post #189 of 815 Old 08-17-2008, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

post #190 of 815 Old 08-18-2008, 08:35 AM

you ppl are funny lol

i have had dish direct and medicom and sorry i am willing to pay the extra for medicom....well i wouldnt say extra but i am willing to pay for the service im actually getting......

first off dish and direct are all digital and can afford to offer alot more choice because of the lack of bandwitdh...but if your willing to sign your life on a conctract that you cant get out of for a crap load of c-span and homeshopping network channels in hd then go ahead....when everyone that has left mediacom for the reasons stated and went to dish and direct start losing your promotions and start paying a couple hundred dollars more then you would at cable, dont be afraid to swollow your pride to go back.....o wait! your in a contract (bet them 20 hbo east and west and spanish channels are well worth the money now)

since mediacom has analog services for the people that cant afford anything better all the bandwidth to add better channels is not there.....once they go all digital they will be able to add 4 - 10 hd channels per analog then where will direct and dish be at accept having half you guys out there cleaning off your dish during a storm.

btw dishnetworks saying they are giving 1080p only now is bull crap....it will still pixelate during fast and bright scenes because they will compress the crap out of it....it will still not be as good as the blu ray

and no i do not work for mediacom, i just have had all 3 services and mediacom at least gives me what im paying for...you deny it because half you guys want something for free.

just my opinion

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #191 of 815 Old 08-18-2008, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

awesome!!!
post #192 of 815 Old 08-20-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKONtheKannibal View Post

you ppl are funny lol

i have had dish direct and medicom and sorry i am willing to pay the extra for medicom....well i wouldnt say extra but i am willing to pay for the service im actually getting......

first off dish and direct are all digital and can afford to offer alot more choice because of the lack of bandwitdh...but if your willing to sign your life on a conctract that you cant get out of for a crap load of c-span and homeshopping network channels in hd then go ahead....when everyone that has left mediacom for the reasons stated and went to dish and direct start losing your promotions and start paying a couple hundred dollars more then you would at cable, dont be afraid to swollow your pride to go back.....o wait! your in a contract (bet them 20 hbo east and west and spanish channels are well worth the money now)

since mediacom has analog services for the people that cant afford anything better all the bandwidth to add better channels is not there.....once they go all digital they will be able to add 4 - 10 hd channels per analog then where will direct and dish be at accept having half you guys out there cleaning off your dish during a storm.

btw dishnetworks saying they are giving 1080p only now is bull crap....it will still pixelate during fast and bright scenes because they will compress the crap out of it....it will still not be as good as the blu ray

and no i do not work for mediacom, i just have had all 3 services and mediacom at least gives me what im paying for...you deny it because half you guys want something for free.

just my opinion

I can't say that I'm looking for anything for free. My cable bill (family digital cable, the HD tier, cable internet, and DVR) was $147 last month for a lot of analog channels, and digital channels for that matter, that look like complete crap on a 52" LCD TV. My wife and I have pretty much limited our viewing to the 20 or so HD channels we get through Mediacom, so when new channels do become available, I have to admit that I do feel like I'm getting a bit more bang for my buck (or for my $1764 bucks a year...until they raise the rates again, which I'm sure will happen in January).

That being said, the weeks we have gone without cable/internet in the winter after the plow has again knocked down the cable wire to our house, a wire that has been hung way too low by way too many repair guys, has made me think about a dish from time to time. Sure, having a dish does mean having interruptions from the weather, but I'm not sure that's quite the deterant as having to spend an hour or more on hold after every snow storm to explain to another customer service rep with Mediacom that I shouldn't have to pay for a week's worth of cable and internet we didn't have because Mediacom wasn't able to send anyone out to my house (about six blocks from the Ingersoll location) for five days to reconnect the cable. Throw in the fact that either myself or my wife have to take a half days vacation for the repair guy to show up, even though they don't enter the house outside of a signature they need to show proof they did in fact show up to complete the job, and Mediacom really does become a pain in the arse.
post #193 of 815 Old 08-20-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffer96 View Post

I can't say that I'm looking for anything for free. My cable bill (family digital cable, the HD tier, cable internet, and DVR) was $147 last month for a lot of analog channels, and digital channels for that matter, that look like complete crap on a 52" LCD TV. My wife and I have pretty much limited our viewing to the 20 or so HD channels we get through Mediacom, so when new channels do become available, I have to admit that I do feel like I'm getting a bit more bang for my buck (or for my $1764 bucks a year...until they raise the rates again, which I'm sure will happen in January).

That being said, the weeks we have gone without cable/internet in the winter after the plow has again knocked down the cable wire to our house, a wire that has been hung way too low by way too many repair guys, has made me think about a dish from time to time. Sure, having a dish does mean having interruptions from the weather, but I'm not sure that's quite the deterant as having to spend an hour or more on hold after every snow storm to explain to another customer service rep with Mediacom that I shouldn't have to pay for a week's worth of cable and internet we didn't have because Mediacom wasn't able to send anyone out to my house (about six blocks from the Ingersoll location) for five days to reconnect the cable. Throw in the fact that either myself or my wife have to take a half days vacation for the repair guy to show up, even though they don't enter the house outside of a signature they need to show proof they did in fact show up to complete the job, and Mediacom really does become a pain in the arse.

stuff like this is a total legit reason for being upset....i wasn't trying to sound like i was attacking ahyone...i just know what my personal experience was like, but at the same time i listen to people complain all the time over petty things without really being realistic....example of what im refereing to is the jo smo that goes into mediacom who been one a 6 month promotion that he managed to talk into having for 3 years now then threaten to leave because they want there service for free.....or the people that dont realize the land cable companys are under contract with there citys they are in and actually lose money to most of the people.

let me explain;
say mediacom is under contract to be in this city, now in the contract they hafta do various things for the community and offer certain basic stations at a fixed rate (this all happens until local legislation changes it in every city btw) and not to mention cable companies have to be just like a handyman contracter and bid for or negotiate to the networks for packages and cable companies rent all there equipment. OK, now lets say with being undercontract under the city they have to offer basic cable at 25 bucks a month and it cost them 27 bucks a month to even provide it but under contract they cant charge more. where is the extra 2 dollars coming from that the company loses....then on top of that say fox charges them so and so amount for certain channels yet the cable company needs to make a profit...afterall they are a buisness

ok i think you guys see where im going with this....

also why is getting a dish cheaper? goes back to what i said little earlier.....they compete for a certain package price wich gets you a crap lot more channels but most them just east west of everything for a lower price not to mention the digital bandwidth allowed to even have them and without the need of cables in ground or on poles there is no need to have a contract with cities.

think of it as in terms of buying bulk at sames club...the more you buy the cheaper it gets, but when you already have to raise fees to be able to provide the service in the first place like cable companies you cant afford the larger packages.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #194 of 815 Old 08-23-2008, 02:07 PM

To the OP of this thread - looks like you will have Big Ten Network in time for this year's home opener. Anyone know if the Big Ten Network offers an HD feed? Or will this only be analog?
post #195 of 815 Old 08-23-2008, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure part of BTN's terms is that they are required to offer the HD feed in addition to analog.
post #196 of 815 Old 08-24-2008, 06:53 AM

I am considering the purchase of a Dell XPS 420 with dual ATI Cablecard tuners (Mediacom user in southern IL). Can anyone enlighten me as to their own experiences with the Cablecard tuners and Mediacom?

On a related subject, which of Mediacom's HD channels are QAM (in the clear)...and DO NOT need the Cablecard tuner?
post #197 of 815 Old 08-26-2008, 09:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Topic title change.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #198 of 815 Old 08-26-2008, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

still waiting on mediacom to add those additional channels of hd. sci-fi, a&e, history.
post #199 of 815 Old 08-26-2008, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

still waiting on mediacom to add those additional channels of hd. sci-fi, a&e, history.

We've got A&E but no History HD here in the Quad Cities with rumors SciFi is next.. In the past two months, they've also added HD channels WGN, Comcast Sportsnet, USA, TNT, and TBS

Mediacom Digital Cable and OTA HD
Panny TC-P55GT50 -- Denon AVR-1713 -- TiVo Premiere XL4 -- Sony BDP-S5100 -- SlingBox 350 -- Polk 5.1 Speakers -- Logitech Harmony One
post #200 of 815 Old 08-26-2008, 04:37 PM

that is so odd QCA doesn't have History or Sci-Fi.. as my town does (40 miles east)...
HD service wasn't even available in my town until earlier this year.. surprising we have more channels.
post #201 of 815 Old 08-26-2008, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steppinrazer View Post

that is so odd QCA doesn't have History or Sci-Fi.. as my town does (40 miles east)...
HD service wasn't even available in my town until earlier this year.. surprising we have more channels.

Here's the list of what Mediacom HD channels are currently available in our market (scroll down).

Panny TC-P55GT50 -- Denon AVR-1713 -- TiVo Premiere XL4 -- Sony BDP-S5100 -- SlingBox 350 -- Polk 5.1 Speakers -- Logitech Harmony One
post #202 of 815 Old 08-29-2008, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

UPDATE: Big 10 Network added today on channel 74. No HD channel available yet.
post #203 of 815 Old 08-31-2008, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

78 in our market.

post #204 of 815 Old 09-05-2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bierboy View Post

78 in our market.

Channel 59 in DSM. No HD yet.
post #205 of 815 Old 09-05-2008, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

22 and/or 78 in Moline IL area. No promise on permanent assignments to SD and HD.
post #206 of 815 Old 09-06-2008, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

still waiting on new hd channels.
post #207 of 815 Old 09-07-2008, 08:02 AM

don't hold your breath
if we get a few more by the end of the year I think we'll be lucky...
post #208 of 815 Old 09-07-2008, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steppinrazer View Post

don't hold your breath
if we get a few more by the end of the year I think we'll be lucky...

I would like to see SciFi, especially before BSG returns. I know some Mediacom markets have it; we don't yet.

post #209 of 815 Old 09-11-2008, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

time for all of us to call mediacom and start bitching at them. maybe it'll help.
doubt it, but just maybe.
post #210 of 815 Old 09-13-2008, 03:12 AM

It won't help. Mediacom is an extremely stubborn company that simply waited too long to embrace HD. So, now all of us are stuck waiting. I highly doubt we'll see any new HD channels until 2009. We definitely won't see any until they start removing analog channels, or switch to SDV.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page