Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 2557 Old 03-21-2009, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post

There's is no evidence that the Dollhouse uses anything other than volunteers.

There is also no evidence that the Dollhouse can program a person with an altered version of their own personality.

It is possible the only use people they sucker into volunteering, but we know the FBI agent thinks they have contacts with the human traffickers.

I would think they should be able to use a version of someones own personality. They have shown that they just put together pieces of different personality downloads. They would just have to combine your own with the the right combo of other things. They could have put triggers like they did in the neighbor in all their customers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2557 Old 03-21-2009, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by segaily View Post

It is possible the only use people they sucker into volunteering, but we know the FBI agent thinks they have contacts with the human traffickers.

As others have said, it's unclear that they "sucker" anyone into it. For all we know, the volunteers go in with full disclosure, get $5M at the end of 5 years and walk away happy. I'm sure if that were the deal, they'd have no end of volunteers...
post #543 of 2557 Old 03-21-2009, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Just caught up with watching eps 5 and 6. I had been reading that ep 6 was going to finally wow! us, and it absolutely did that for me. I am very interested to know what is really happening, so I'll keep watching.

I appreciate how the show matter-of-factly addresses some of the obvious questions viewers might have if we accept the fantastical premise. The way they handled the violation of Sierra is one example: the guilty party told his boss (paraphrasing), "You've got a bevy of foxes with no minds of their own, and you didn't see this happening at some point??" That's sick, but so likely accurate.

As for "Who is Alpha?" -- We saw him at the end of the pilot ep. I don't think he's roaming around Dollhouse LA.

As for the extra-neighborly neighbor: She's cute, and I'm glad her storyline turned as it did, rather than her being killed while Agent Ballard was out for Chinese and "the big reveal." Although I'm not buying that the FBI agent would discuss details of such a case with his neighbor/bleep-buddy.

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #544 of 2557 Old 03-21-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:

As others have said, it's unclear that they "sucker" anyone into it. For all we know, the volunteers go in with full disclosure, get $5M at the end of 5 years and walk away happy. I'm sure if that were the deal, they'd have no end of volunteers...

OK it is true we have no proof that they sucker in people. They are however a semi secret criminal organization. They would not want to draw to much attention by making people just disappear off the street so they recruit at least some people. They have no reason to be fully honest so why would they be when it is easier to lie. What would happen after the tried to recruit someone told them everything and then that person decided it was not for them. They pretty much have to lie unless once they pick you saying no does not matter.
post #545 of 2557 Old 03-21-2009, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbarry View Post

Too bad it may have lost much of its potential audience in the first few weeks. Hopefully enough confused potential fans will catch up on Hulu.

- Tom

From the ratings thread:
Quote:

9:00 p.m. - Dollhouse
Viewers: 4.13 million (#3), A18-49: 1.5/ 5 (#3)

To the fans of Dollhouse: don't rule this show out. There could be a possibility this will return next season.

According to the LA Times interview with Joss Whedon, ratings were up 21% last week...

Robert Clark
post #546 of 2557 Old 03-21-2009, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Marc Berman sort of insinuates that Fox may renew it to keep Whedon in the fold:
http://pifeedback.com/eve/forums/a/t...3791#156103791
post #547 of 2557 Old 03-21-2009, 10:54 PM

Liked: 11
As somebody who loves serialized sci-fi, and who just witnessed the all-time greatest example of that genre sign off last night and would love to have something remotely as cool step up to the plate, I have to say that this week's episode of 'Dollhouse' absolutely, positively, rocked - and rocked hard. Finally FOX is letting Joss be Joss, just as Eliza promised us, and the possibilities of this show just blossomed like a forth of July fireworks extravaganza. Fantastic fight scene that went on and on (and I didn't notice the stunt makeup mishap that seems to have ruined that scene for some others). The clever-by-far dialog and subtle humor that we expect from this guy finally made an appearance. Should have had something for everyone that was wondering where the frak this thing was supposed to be going. Now, my friends, we know.

But more than that, we finally got a heapin' helpin' dose of mythology goodness. We discovered that the Dollhouse is one frakkin' global monstrosity and poor agent Ballard is seriously outgunned. Perhaps it's best he leaves the FBI and it's intrinsic straight jacket. He can get more done with his lifelong obsession if he operates outside the rules. Just what we expect of our anti-heroes, eh? This show begins... now.
post #548 of 2557 Old 03-22-2009, 02:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Good episode, but not much mystery. I don't know about you guys but I knew it was the handler the whole time, and everybody figured the neighbor was a doll(sleeper). Just like I figure Echo's handler distracted the annoying programmer so that the asian lady could implant a message to the FBI agent. This show may not be about mystery though, so it's still got potential.

thread closed
post #549 of 2557 Old 03-22-2009, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They are however a semi secret criminal organization.

I would call them an "underground" organization, rather than a "criminal" one. Calling something a criminal organization implies that its goals are criminal in nature. So far, the only assignment we've seen that involved anything illegal was the art theft one. So it certainly doesn't seem that their purpose is criminal.

Quote:

They would not want to draw to much attention by making people just disappear off the street so they recruit at least some people. (...) What would happen after the tried to recruit someone told them everything and then that person decided it was not for them.

All we know is what we saw of Caroline's recruitment. She apparently was in a bad situation and felt that signing would make things better (or at least be an escape). As for dealing with people who want to back out, perhaps they do a download of the potential recruit's brain before they're told the truth. If they balk, then they're loaded with the pre-reveal imprint and released.
post #550 of 2557 Old 03-22-2009, 06:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I would call them an "underground" organization, rather than a "criminal" one. Calling something a criminal organization implies that its goals are criminal in nature. So far, the only assignment we've seen that involved anything illegal was the art theft one. So it certainly doesn't seem that their purpose is criminal.

All we know is what we saw of Caroline's recruitment. She apparently was in a bad situation and felt that signing would make things better (or at least be an escape). As for dealing with people who want to back out, perhaps they do a download of the potential recruit's brain before they're told the truth. If they balk, then they're loaded with the pre-reveal imprint and released.

I think any organization that orders people murdered easily qualifies as criminal.

- Tom

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at www.trbarry.com
post #551 of 2557 Old 03-22-2009, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 51
i'm confused abt something: whom was it the cop/helo shot?
post #552 of 2557 Old 03-22-2009, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

I suspect most of the recruits are not forced into service but probably are pushed that way. We know at the very least Echo didn't really want to do this but something was hanging over her head that basically forced her to do this as a last resort.
post #553 of 2557 Old 03-22-2009, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post

Although I'm not buying that the FBI agent would discuss details of such a case with his neighbor/bleep-buddy.

Normally I'd agree, but they've made it pretty clear that he's out on his own with his search for the DH. No one in the FBI believes him, other than that woman who helped him this week. He's getting frustrated and desperate for a break in the case. I could see him talking with a friend for a fresh perspective, especially one that he's now banging.
post #554 of 2557 Old 03-22-2009, 08:09 AM
O2C
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouchoDude View Post

Fantastic fight scene that went on and on (and I didn't notice the stunt makeup mishap that seems to have ruined that scene for some others).

For those of you that may have missed it, here's one of the mishaps:

"Echo"'s mask comes off and some random guy is laying on the ground while Ballard is off screen watching the action. I liked the inclusion of the fight scene and its length, but the editing/casting could have been a bit better.
post #555 of 2557 Old 03-22-2009, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

I think any organization that orders people murdered easily qualifies as criminal.

- Tom

Oh come on now.

Just because an organization regularly commits crimes, does that make them a criminal organization?
post #556 of 2557 Old 03-22-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2C View Post

For those of you that may have missed it, here's one of the mishaps:

"Echo"'s mask comes off and some random guy is laying on the ground while Ballard is off screen watching the action. I liked the inclusion of the fight scene and its length, but the editing/casting could have been a bit better.

Man, I sure wish people would stop using ImageShack to host these pictures. For some reason, I can never get a picture to open at the IS site when I click on the thumbnail. The little "loading wheel" just spins and spins but nothing happens. Anybody have an idea why that's so?
post #557 of 2557 Old 03-22-2009, 09:29 AM

ImageShack hypnotizes the more simple minded with the spinning wheel. If you become hypnotized, you can't see the picture. Actually, you see it, but your brain forces you to focus only on the wheel. If you aren't hypnotized, you see the picture just fine.
post #558 of 2557 Old 03-22-2009, 09:36 AM

Well, I do have this odd desire to go ride a painted pony while that spinning wheel spins...
post #559 of 2557 Old 03-22-2009, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:

Man, I sure wish people would stop using ImageShack to host these pictures. For some reason, I can never get a picture to open at the IS site when I click on the thumbnail. The little "loading wheel" just spins and spins but nothing happens. Anybody have an idea why that's so?

If you use firefox and noscript that might explain it.
post #560 of 2557 Old 03-22-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

If you use firefox and noscript that might explain it.

Nah, IE 7 w/ WinMCE. Should be able to open everything. It's perplexing...
post #561 of 2557 Old 03-22-2009, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

(Also, I hope that schmaltzy, CW-type ending doesn't become a habit, or you could possibly end up with the worst of both worlds here.)

That ending was the anti-schmaltz! It was a kick in the gut. The rotten SOB (Patton Oswalt's character) got exactly what he was wanting in the first place, and the DH powers-that-be just turned the crank again...

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #562 of 2557 Old 03-22-2009, 01:34 PM
O2C
Advanced Member

Quote:

Try refreshing the page? If you'd like to suggest a different free site, if its name is easy to remember, doesn't require registration, and simple, I'd be happy to use it instead. Better yet, take your own screenshots and put them up where ever you like.
post #563 of 2557 Old 03-22-2009, 01:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

Oh come on now.

Just because an organization regularly commits crimes, does that make them a criminal organization?

Dunno. What is the definition of a criminal? If I regularly commit crimes, would I be a criminal? Or do I have to join the Thieves Guild first or something?

To me, if the very upper management orders and sanctions things like murder as a matter of regular policy that would be enough. I don't think anyone is willing to wait until they write those policies into their charter or employee handbook.
(beagle boys maybe excepted)

- Tom

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at www.trbarry.com
post #564 of 2557 Old 03-22-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2C View Post

Try refreshing the page? If you'd like to suggest a different free site, if its name is easy to remember, doesn't require registration, and simple, I'd be happy to use it instead. Better yet, take your own screenshots and put them up where ever you like.

I was really hoping that by mentioning it, someone may know what the problem might be with ImageShack. I think there's a site called "photobucket" that may work better. I don't have the capability to capture screen shots as I don't use an HTPC.
post #565 of 2557 Old 03-22-2009, 05:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

- Tom

Murder, not to mention slavery (which only one person in those fake "interviews" mentioned).

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #566 of 2557 Old 03-22-2009, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, be honest, who was actually surprised about Mellie?
post #567 of 2557 Old 03-22-2009, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

Murder, not to mention slavery (which only one person in those fake "interviews" mentioned).

"Slavery"? There is absolutely no indication that the actives are not there by their own free will.
post #568 of 2557 Old 03-22-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:

"Slavery"? There is absolutely no indication that the actives are not there by their own free will.

Impossible to determine since they no longer have free will.
post #569 of 2557 Old 03-22-2009, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

Impossible to determine since they no longer have free will.

They (presumably) did when they signed up.

If you join the army for a five-year term then they tell you what do to during that period, is that slavery? No, because you signed up voluntarily.

There is no evidence that any active is there non-voluntarily.
post #570 of 2557 Old 03-22-2009, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

At the same time there are of course limits about what they can tell you to do in the Army
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page