Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 248 Old 11-06-2007, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

I doubt many professional actors would try to pull anything like that. They're generally far more responsible than you're willing to give them credit for.

Most professional actors do not want to cross a picket line, and personally I give them more credit if they DON'T cross the picket line

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 248 Old 11-06-2007, 09:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast View Post

Yeah no kidding. Don't need to see any more reality crap.

OK then... they can adapt some Mexican telenovelas into American TV shows just like MyTV did. All you need is someone to translate them into English and viola... 200 scripts for ten thousand pesos.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #63 of 248 Old 11-06-2007, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

OK then... they can adapt some Mexican telenovelas into American TV shows just like MyTV did.

Yeah, that worked out well.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #64 of 248 Old 11-06-2007, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleytvguy View Post

So let me get this straight, the writers want income from downlaoded or internet viewed material? And they want to have that as a fixed fee? So if I watch an episode on NBC.com and don't pay for it, the writers expect whom exactly to pay them for that viewing?

On the other hand, if someone is making income off of internet material, the writers should earn a % of that income.

In the end if they get their way, this will just kill internet entertainment by increasing its cost, and thus its demand.

No, they're not looking for a fixed fee. They're looking for a percentage of revenue. If the studios/producers make money, the writers want a piece of it. Sounds fair to me. As others have pointed out, "free" downloads may be promotional, but what about the ad revenue that the studios currently don't want to split?
post #65 of 248 Old 11-06-2007, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I'd encourage everybody to cross the picket line - however, if you're in a union (any union), it'd be foolish to cross the picket line.
post #66 of 248 Old 11-06-2007, 12:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 168
You know, it's surreal but all the coverage of the WGA strike (especially in Nikki Finke's blog) seems slanted toward a light-hearted tone of festivity. I got that feeling yesterday at the 30 Rockefeller Plaza picket line in that it felt more like a party than your usual angry-as-hell protest demanding better conditions. In Nikki Finke's case the woman has such a cynical attitude toward showbusiness and people/institutions of power (which is why we love her! ) that her coverage can't help but feel like she's glorifying the striking writers as yet another way to stick it to the Hollywood elites. But how long can this lighthearted tone last in the coverage when December and January rolls around? I know West Coast strikers will be mildly upset at the temperatures dropping into the late 60's but try chanting 'No justice no peace' with your lips split and your feet wet from inside the boots from temperatures below freezing while in the middle of a snowstorm. And will the nice TV/movie stars that showed up for day 1 of the strike still be marching out there on day 5? Day 23? Day 77? Day 154? Or will these fine above-line talent be showing support for their writers from their mansions and chalets in Aspen, Beverly Hills and Central Park West?
post #67 of 248 Old 11-06-2007, 05:31 PM

I wonder what percentage the unions will take from any financial contract settlements? I guess they need the money more than the writers because they organized the strike

TNT: WE KNOW INTERRUPTIONS
TBS: TURNER BROADCASTING SUCKS
NBC: National Boredcasting Company
post #68 of 248 Old 11-06-2007, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I think the strike is a great opportunity to stargaze if you're in L.A. or NYC - think of how hard it would be to see Marg Helgenberger or Tina Fey otherwise!
post #69 of 248 Old 11-07-2007, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast View Post

Yeah no kidding. Don't need to see any more reality crap.

They might resurrect "Whose Line is it Anyway?". That wasn't too bad, and if it comes back, it would be nice to see it in HD.

This strike might be the catalyst to finally getting reality in general into the HD world.
post #70 of 248 Old 11-07-2007, 12:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemikeb View Post

This strike might be the catalyst to finally getting reality in general into the HD world.

Or maybe the news programs too. Wasn't Dateline on like three or four times a week about ten years ago?

Of course realistically the strike will have no affect on getting these shows to HD but it's fun to make-believe.

post #71 of 248 Old 11-07-2007, 12:30 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemikeb View Post

They might resurrect "Whose Line is it Anyway?". That wasn't too bad, and if it comes back, it would be nice to see it in HD.

I don't think Drew Carey wants 3 gigs, when he barely wanted 1 for a couple years.
post #72 of 248 Old 11-07-2007, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I saw two filming crews filming today in the usual places near where I work. They did have several security guards at the enterance to the parking eyeballing me as I drove past.

I generally support them getting residuals from internet/DVDs etc. However that support will evaporate quickly if they block driveways etc.

Rick R
post #73 of 248 Old 11-07-2007, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

'The Office' Stops Shooting as Steve Carell Refuses to Cross Picket Lines

Associated Press

LOS ANGELES Writers were back on the picket lines Wednesday after their strike forced at least eight prime-time shows, including the popular NBC sitcom "The Office," to halt production.

As the strike entered its third day, no new negotiations were scheduled on the main sticking point between writers and producers: payments from DVDs and shows offered on the Internet.

One of the largest rallies yet occurred outside the gates of the Disney studio in Burbank. About 60 people, including a number of powerful producer-writers known in the industry as "showrunners," joined the protest, despite that networks expected many of them to report to work as managers.

Among them was Greg Daniels, executive producer of the "The Office," who said filming stopped on the show after star Steve Carell refused to cross picket lines. Writers and actors from the show used their time on the picket line to make a video and post it on YouTube.

Sally Field, who won the best actress Oscar in 1979 for the pro-union film "Norma Rae," left the set of her ABC show, "Brothers & Sisters," to visit strikers outside the Disney lot.

Writers "are not being allowed to participate in the future of the business," Field said. "This can be a very lucrative field, but also incredibly insecure for all of the artists, writers, actors and directors."

Mark Perry, executive producer of "Brothers & Sisters," said filming on the show will end next week as it runs out of scripts.

Jay Leno drove a vintage sports car to the rally and stopped to chat with strikers. He apologized for not having any funny lines to share, blaming the problem on -- what else? -- the strike.

The strike began Monday after last-minute negotiations failed to produce a deal. The Writers Guild of America and the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers said no new talks had been scheduled. Neither group offered further comment Wednesday.

Production of at least seven sitcoms has been halted because of the strike, and the hit ABC drama "Desperate Housewives" was scheduled to finish filming its latest episode because it had run out of scripts.

Along with "The Office," sitcoms that will stop the cameras include "Back to You," "The New Adventures of Old Christine." "Til Death," "Rules of Engagement," "Two and a Half Men" and "The Big Bang Theory."

Filming on the 13th episode of the freshman ABC comedy "Carpoolers" was also set to finish Wednesday, ABC Studios spokeswoman Charissa Gilmore said. No new episodes have been ordered.

Networks were expected to announce plans for alternative programming in the coming days.

The strike immediately brought repeats of late-night comedy shows, but it was not expected to have an immediate impact on production of movies. Most studios have stockpiled dozens of movie scripts, and many TV shows have scripts or completed shows in hand to last until early next year.

Writers have not gone on strike since 1988, when the walkout lasted 22 weeks and cost the industry more than $500 million.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,309219,00.html
post #74 of 248 Old 11-07-2007, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Updated again with reports of shows that have shut down production, which may mean less shows will be available than were previously reported (since if you can't shoot, hard to use those stockpiled scripts.)

Edit: Interesting tidbit from Variety on Canadian writers. Best hope those SGA ones are all living in Canada...:

November 6th, 2007 - by Dave McNary

* The Writers Guild of Canada has come out in support of its southern brethren.

The Canuck guild said anyone who is a dual member of the two guilds and lives in the U.S. will not be allowed to write for Canadian productions during the strike. But the guild added that dual members living in Canada can write for a Canadian production during the strike.

The guild's governing council passed a resolution stating: "The issues the WGA is addressing will affect every professional artist seeking compensation for their work in the digital age. Their fight is our fight."

There are fewer than 300 dual members, most of whom live and work in Los Angeles. The WGC has 1,900 members altogether.

WGC executive director Maureen Parker said U.S.-based members of both guilds have to apply to the WGA for a waiver in order to be able to work in Canada.

"I can't prevent a producer from hiring a writer for a production," Parker said. "But that writer is violating strike rules and we will inform the WGA."

Unlike the WGA, the WGC's most recent collective agreement with the Canadian producers association gives writers jurisdiction over new media, but the two sides have yet to agree on a set rate for compensating Canadian writers for work used in new-media platforms.
post #75 of 248 Old 11-08-2007, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Palmice View Post

How did you like Le Reve? I saw it last year and was blown away

Le Reve (at best) was just OK. I have seen every Vegas Cirque du Sleil show (and Celene Dion's " New Day") and here is how I rank Cirque du Soleil shows. (1 - best) Beatle's "Love", (2) Mystere, (3.) "O". (4.) "Ka", (5.) Le Reve and (6.) Zumanity.

"Time's fun when you're having flies." ...Kermit the Frog
post #76 of 248 Old 11-08-2007, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I wonder how Stargate: Atlantis can go on? Also, I hope Journeyman gets the order for a full season.
post #77 of 248 Old 11-08-2007, 09:30 AM
Kib
AVS Special Member

I saw some news footage of Eva Longoria passing out DOMINO'S pizza... Who side is she on?

You would think with the kind of cash her and her hoopster hubby are banking, she could have popped for the good stuff rather than something more void of taste and nutrition than the Producer's latest contact offer.
post #78 of 248 Old 11-08-2007, 09:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kib View Post

I saw some news footage of Eva Longoria passing out DOMINO'S pizza... Who side is she on?

You would think with the kind of cash her and her hoopster hubby are banking, she could have popped for the good stuff rather than something more void of taste and nutrition than the Producer's latest contact offer.

I think that Dominos is one of the few places that actually delivers anymore. Besides, she's going to need to save her pennies for a while - she's out of work for the duration, too.
post #79 of 248 Old 11-08-2007, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

I think that Dominos is one of the few places that actually delivers anymore. Besides, she's going to need to save her pennies for a while - she's out of work for the duration, too.

Don't worry about Eva. Tony has enough bucks to get them through the rough patch at work.
post #80 of 248 Old 11-08-2007, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kib View Post

Maybe her genes were designed so she has all beauty and no tastebuds.

Or maybe Dominos sponsored her. I can think of Papa Johns that apparently makes better pizza, but are there any other local outlets that make good pizza? (I've never been out there.)
post #81 of 248 Old 11-08-2007, 06:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Any Conan O'Brien fans (like yours truly) that are depressed for missing his nightly wit because of the strike will want to read this story for the closest we're going to get to a well-written monologue for quite some time.

The WGA Strike
O'Brien Performs Live, but Charity Benefits
By Jacques Steinberg, The New York Times - November 8, 2007

NBC ran a rerun of Late Night with Conan O'Brien on Wednesday night during the ongoing writers' strike, but it was still possible for a select few to see the host do an original monologue.

A comedian following Taps,' that's what I'm dealing with here, Mr. O'Brien said in disbelief, and by way of introduction, as he followed the Quantico Marine Corps band onstage at a benefit performance at Town Hall in midtown Manhattan. And to top it off, I'm your host for the evening and my writers are on strike.

Watching from the front rows were the guests of honor, several dozen soldiers at various stages of recovery from serious wounds in Iraq. They were flanked by several thousand others (some of them the most prominent media executives and personalities in town) who had paid as much as $100,000 (for a block of 20 premium seats). The beneficiary: the Bob Woodruff Family Fund, begun by the ABC journalist, who nearly died after being struck in the head by a roadside bomb in Iraq.

The monologue tonight is entirely crafted from Dixie riddle cups, fortune cookies and old Sanford and Son' dialogue, Mr. O'Brien said, as Brian Williams and Stephen Colbert looked on, as well James Gandolfini and Joe Torre. I'm not kidding I got nothing.

I do have some good news about the writers' strike, he quickly added. If it continues, there will not be a third Deuce Bigalow' movie.

He then explained: My mother wrote that. But she's in the W.G.A. the Writers Guild of America, which initiated the labor action so she's in a lot of trouble.

Hollywood writers went on strike just after midnight Monday in their battle with producers, most contentiously over how much they should be paid when their programs and movies are shown on the Internet and devices like cellphones and iPods.

The walkout immediately affected the entertainment talk shows, sending Mr. O'Brien's program and others into repeats.

At Town Hall, Mr. O'Brien did not spare Mr. Woodruff, who was in a coma for more than a month after his brain was pocked by shrapnel and other debris. Here's the irritating thing about Bob, the host said. Bob was wounded by an I.E.D. at close range, and he's still the best-looking guy in this room.

After noting that those who had witnessed Mr. Woodruff's recovery first-hand knew that his memory still failed him occasionally, Mr. O'Brien suggested, Those of you who didn't witness it first-hand, this is a great opportunity to borrow money from him.

To be fair, Mr. O'Brien continued, Bob is not the first journalist that has been injured during a war. True story: Larry King was wounded while covering the War of 1812.

With an audience dotted with veterans of an increasingly unpopular war, Mr. O'Brien like the performers who would follow him was careful not to be too political. But he couldn't resist doing a bit that imagined an NBC television movie (rushed into development just before the strike, of course) about power in Washington. Aided by photos of politicians and their celebrity doppelgangers projected onto a screen behind him, Mr. O'Brien announced that the Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi, would be played by Martin Short; Senator John McCain of Arizona by Tim Conway; Governor Bill Richardson of New Mexico by Erik Estrada, and Senator Charles Schumer by Grandpa Munster.

With that, Mr. O'Brien yielded the stage to a lineup that would be difficult to assemble on his show. There was Bruce Springsteen, who played three songs on acoustic guitar and harmonica, including Devil's Arcade, a new song about a gravely wounded soldier and his wife. And, this being part of the New York Comedy Festival, there were three stand-up comedians: Robin Williams, who did his best, loud-mouth drill sergeant (when he wasn't acting out what a certain senator's men's room tryst might have looked like); Lewis Black, who engaged in an extended riff on Santa Claus running for President; and Brian Regan, who spoofed Antiques Roadshow and the audience that loves it.

The event raised more than $2.5 million, according to organizers, not counting the more than $80,000 bid successfully by Mr. Williams's wife for a Harley-Davidson motorcycle used and then donated by Mr. Springsteen.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/08/ar...ia&oref=slogin
post #82 of 248 Old 11-08-2007, 07:24 PM

"24" falls victim to writers strike

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - As the writers strike entered its third day Wednesday with no end in sight, Fox said it would not air "24" this season.

The seventh season of the hit real-time series was scheduled to begin in January, but producers had completed only about one-third of its 24-episode order as of last week.

"It's not a decision we wanted to make, but it's one based on how we feel the viewers expect us to schedule the show," said Preston Beckman, Fox's scheduling chief.

The decision to act quickly so early in the strike also was prompted by the large amounts of marketing money associated with the premieres of new series and the annual launch of "24." The network began airing promos for the upcoming season of "24" during the World Series and on a big screen in Times Square.

"Had we delayed executing and implementing of a strike schedule, it could've cost us a lot of money," Beckman said.

"24" started production late, and was affected by the recent wildfires. The show's star, Kiefer Sutherland, is also scheduled to do a stint in jail later this year in connection with a drunk-driving conviction.

The high-profile new drama "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles," originally slated to run in tandem with "24," will now premiere on Sunday, January 13, and will air in "24's" Monday 9 p.m. slot, following "Prison Break" and the reality series "When Women Ruled the World."

"Women," about educated and independent women ruling over a group of unsuspecting men, is one of two reality series Fox is planning to launch midseason, along with "The Moment of Truth," a show featuring people being administered a lie detector test to be hosted by Mark L. Walberg.

With "House" running out of original episodes, "Hell's Kitchen" will land the plum post-"American Idol" Tuesday 9 p.m. slot beginning April 1.

Fox's midseason schedule also includes new scripted series "The Return of Jezebel James," "Unhitched," "New Amsterdam" and "Canterbury's Law."

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071108/tv_nm/fox_dc_2
post #83 of 248 Old 11-08-2007, 07:46 PM

It's already $15 some places. Look up the Archlight in Hollywood.

Jeff
post #84 of 248 Old 11-08-2007, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa View Post

Unless you know something sinister about Travis that I don't, I think your somewhat veiled and accusatory post is -- at the least -- odd.

It's nothing sinister, but the information he posted about Heroes last week was incorrect. And he could probably have gotten his information straight with a single phone call. Fact checking is the difference between journalism and gossip.
post #85 of 248 Old 11-08-2007, 11:04 PM

For anyone exposed to one-sided info of the WGA strike from traditional media outlets (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, etc.) should read the following from Bill Scheft, head writer for David Letterman, who wrote the following in alt.fan.letterman:

--begin paste--

Newsgroup: alt.fan.letterman
Subject: It's me, your old pal Bill Scheft....
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 17:30:28 -0800
Message-ID: <1194571828.505200.300800@e34g2000pro.googlegroups.com>

I am the union rep for the show, and felt compelled to bring you up to date on the writers strike. Day Four on the picket line. Our guys have been so much better represented out there than all the other NY shows. I am really proud of them.

Quickly, lest you think we are a bunch of spoiled brats just looking for a raise, the big issue, money from original content shown on the Internet and other new media, is our way of replacing the money we are losing over the disappearing residuals. Residuals are not a bonus. They are the way writers live when they are between jobs. The standard writers contact is up for renewal every 13 weeks. You can have a five- year contract, but they can let you go every 13 weeks without paying you any more as long as they give you a month's notice. That is the deal we all enter into. There are 12,000 writers in the guild. You need to make $30,000 a year in guild earnings to keep your health insurance. Last year, 6000 didn't reach that figure. Half.

I have been lucky enough to have a job for 16 years. That simply does not happen. So this is what we are fighting for. Believe me, we would love to be in the office, writing fun facts, actives with Rupert, illegally doctoring footage or downloading porn, but this is the frontline fight for all the other union contracts that come after us.

The Late Night writers are the first ones affected by a strike, and the ONLY ones who will never recoup the money we lose because we do 10 times as many new shows per year as any drama or sitcom. But we go out in support of our fellow union members and pray this thing ends soon.

One more thing. To a man, all of the writers are deeply concerned about the collateral damage if we stay out too long. We think of the 150 people who work at the Late Show whose fight this is not and believe they will be taken care of. They are all embarassingly supportive of us. No one any moreso than Dave. It is quite humbling.

Sorry to be so serious, but this is serious business. I wanted to write you people because this site has loyally and relentlessly followed the show since we came to CBS. I felt you were owed as much of an explanation as anyone outside the negotation room can give.

Feel free to ask any questions and I will try to respond. Thanks.
Bill Scheft

--end paste--
post #86 of 248 Old 11-08-2007, 11:06 PM

24 is not canceled. Production is continuing on the eps that were already scripted. What Fox did was pull it from the schedule because they obviously don't want to air 8 hours and then leave people hanging.
post #87 of 248 Old 11-08-2007, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeffeory View Post

It's already $15 some places. Look up the Archlight in Hollywood.

The ArcLight is $14 on weekends, $11 during the week. And it's a bargain at any price.
post #88 of 248 Old 11-09-2007, 09:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckytwn View Post

24 is not canceled. Production is continuing on the eps that were already scripted. What Fox did was pull it from the schedule because they obviously don't want to air 8 hours and then leave people hanging.

In other words, it's cancelled. It's not airing. They can shoot and produce episodes all they want, but if it doesn't air this season, it's essentially cancelled.

I think this is a mistake. By the time it comes back, few people will care based on the last season. They might as well dump the series at this point.
post #89 of 248 Old 11-09-2007, 09:43 AM

Quote:

In other words, it's cancelled. It's not airing. They can shoot and produce episodes all they want, but if it doesn't air this season, it's essentially cancelled.

I think this is a mistake. By the time it comes back, few people will care based on the last season. They might as well dump the series at this point.

Canceled means the show has ceased production for good and would not be coming back other than to air episodes already shot. That is not the case with 24. They are just holding the episodes until they have a season to run fully and thus, not leave people hanging. Claiming it's "canceled" makes about as much sense as if you had come on here during one of the 18 month gaps between Soprano seasons and saying it was canceled. You are using a specific term in the wrong fashion.

As far as it being a mistake or not, I don't see how it's a mistake. How can they run 8 hours of 24 and then have it just stop in the middle of the story with no clue as to when the storyline might be resolved?

Lost may not air either, depending on what they decide to do with the 10 eps they'll have in the can once production is shut down assuming the strike goes on that long. Right now, it's believed ABC is going to air an 8 ep mini-season but the producers have stated they are not in favor of that.
post #90 of 248 Old 11-09-2007, 10:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Isn't the industry term for this "hiatus"?

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page