Enough with all the clutter (graphics) on my HD screen! - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 3293 Old 03-08-2008, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Showtime has been doing that crap for a long time. You pay a premium to get a channel that's unedited and commercial free with no interruptions, however, they feel compelled to interrupt programming with pop ups. I encourage anyone who hates this stuff to drop Showtime. I did. If more people dumped them they might get the message.

TNT: WE KNOW INTERRUPTIONS
TBS: TURNER BROADCASTING SUCKS
NBC: National Boredcasting Company
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 3293 Old 03-08-2008, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
My local ABC affiliate (KMGH-DT) forgot to flip the switch tonight for the movie Road To Perdition so got the SD feed. The amount of crap promoting Dancing With The Stars was ridicuous. Large, thick bold letters. Horrible!
post #273 of 3293 Old 03-09-2008, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by richiephx View Post

Showtime has been doing that crap for a long time. You pay a premium to get a channel that's unedited and commercial free with no interruptions, however, they feel compelled to interrupt programming with pop ups. I encourage anyone who hates this stuff to drop Showtime. I did. If more people dumped them they might get the message.

I agree. If I was a sub to Showtime I'd be pretty upset about it. Glad I don't sub to them.

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

My Samsung 55" D8000 LED-3D tv settings.
post #274 of 3293 Old 03-10-2008, 03:05 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast View Post

I agree. If I was a sub to Showtime I'd be pretty upset about it. Glad I don't sub to them.

Wow. I was contemplating dropping HBO and subbing to Showtime instead when I switch to Verizon FiOS in a month but I think I'll have to revisit that decision now...

Just realized last night that I'll no longer be watching "Aliens In America" on CW anymore too. Which I'm assuming will also mean bye bye to "Reaper" when it comes back on later this week as well.... Morons! Just when they had gotten me into the CW fold they f*ck it up and drive me away... C'est la vie.

ron
post #275 of 3293 Old 03-10-2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post

Wow. I was contemplating dropping HBO and subbing to Showtime instead when I switch to Verizon FiOS in a month but I think I'll have to revisit that decision now...

Just realized last night that I'll no longer be watching "Aliens In America" on CW anymore too. Which I'm assuming will also mean bye bye to "Reaper" when it comes back on later this week as well.... Morons! Just when they had gotten me into the CW fold they f*ck it up and drive me away... C'est la vie.

ron

CW has potential to be competitive to ABC, NBC, or FOX on other nights than Friday but the ad bugs aren't doing them any favors. Makes them look like they are still a new network just starting to learn the ropes.

ABC seems to be improving this Sunday night. During The Big Give and the Newlywed show they showed the Dancing with the Stars bug but only for a few seconds after each commercial break which is much better than having the ad bug during the entire show like they have been doing lately.

But NBC is by far still the worst of the 3 broadcast networks who put the episode length ad bugs on. They put that ad bug on during every entire show shown during prime time unless it is their own news program like DATELINE NBC. And that is only to protect their journalism credibility which one has to wonder if they have one anymore. Showing clips of their SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE skits on NBC NEWS programs isn't news in my opinion. If you are going to show SNL skits on the news, then you better had start showing MAD TV, DAILY SHOW, etc.

GE NBC has to be one of the most unregulated companies in the country now.
post #276 of 3293 Old 03-10-2008, 11:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakHDTV06 View Post

But NBC is by far still the worst of the 3 broadcast networks who put the episode length ad bugs on.

Have you even looked at the CW HD screen? They are the absolute worst when it comes to screen clutter. What is on the HD video is 100% designed for the SD screen. The CW bug is huge and it is in the 4:3 safe area, instead of being smaller and in the 16:9 area (reference ABC's HD bug). The test they put on the screen as well there therefore also large and annoying. To top it off, they put up these extremely large snipes that cover a lot of the screen.

I'm sorry, but The CW sucks and I ream them a new A-hole on my website. NBC doesn't get off scott free either.

Who is the third broadcast network? ABC, CBS and Fox do not screen clutter their HD video.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #277 of 3293 Old 03-11-2008, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

Who is the third broadcast network? ABC, CBS and Fox do not screen clutter their HD video.

I guess you missed this eh?

post #278 of 3293 Old 03-11-2008, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
^^^ OMG that sux....

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #279 of 3293 Old 03-11-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:

Have you even looked at the CW HD screen? They are the absolute worst when it comes to screen clutter. What is on the HD video is 100% designed for the SD screen. The CW bug is huge and it is in the 4:3 safe area, instead of being smaller and in the 16:9 area (reference ABC's HD bug). The test they put on the screen as well there therefore also large and annoying. To top it off, they put up these extremely large snipes that cover a lot of the screen.

I'm sorry, but The CW sucks and I ream them a new A-hole on my website. NBC doesn't get off scott free either.

I haven't seen HD on CW because the local CW affiliate has yet to go digital here. So I will take your word for it. But I do have to defend the non-HD CW picture a little bit here because they do show Smallville and Supernatural letterboxed in 4:3 and when I zoom in on the widescreen TV at least a small part of the bug is gone which is better than NBC where the bug is placed entirely in the video portion of the picture.
post #280 of 3293 Old 03-11-2008, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldorfSalad View Post

My local ABC affiliate (KMGH-DT) forgot to flip the switch tonight for the movie Road To Perdition so got the SD feed. The amount of crap promoting Dancing With The Stars was ridicuous. Large, thick bold letters. Horrible!

You do realize that very soon that same crap will be on the HD feeds as well?

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #281 of 3293 Old 03-11-2008, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

You do realize that very soon that same crap will be on the HD feeds as well?

Yup!
post #282 of 3293 Old 03-11-2008, 06:10 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
The first time they put that crap on LOST it will also mark the time that I quit watching it on broadcast TV. I will simply wait until the discs are available from Netflix. Apparently a large percentage of people must not care about video quality, viewing experience and program integrity but I'm not one of them.

ron
post #283 of 3293 Old 03-11-2008, 07:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

I guess you missed this eh?

I forgot about that instance. But, instance is the key word. ABC does not do it every night of the week. At least they did it on a night that no ones cares about, nor did they care about the movie

Now, if they did that same thing during shows like Lost, viewer outcry would cause heads to roll.

I'm not trying to downplay what they did, which was indeed uncalled for.

"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #284 of 3293 Old 03-11-2008, 07:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakHDTV06 View Post

I haven't seen HD on CW because the local CW affiliate has yet to go digital here. So I will take your word for it. But I do have to defend the non-HD CW picture a little bit here because they do show Smallville and Supernatural letterboxed in 4:3 and when I zoom in on the widescreen TV at least a small part of the bug is gone which is better than NBC where the bug is placed entirely in the video portion of the picture.

Well, NBC letterboxes a lot of their programming as well, but that doesn't excuse the horrible screen clutter that The CW does. You can see examples on my website.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #285 of 3293 Old 03-11-2008, 09:42 PM

Quote:

I forgot about that instance. But, instance is the key word. ABC does not do it every night of the week. At least they did it on a night that no ones cares about, nor did they care about the movie

Now, if they did that same thing during shows like Lost, viewer outcry would cause heads to roll.

I'm not trying to downplay what they did, which was indeed uncalled for.

Unfortunately, viewer outcry means nothing to the networks. Most viewers just accept what programmers throw at them and my guess is, few take a proactive approach and contact the networks to complain. Have you forgotten, this is America? That's the American way.

post #286 of 3293 Old 03-11-2008, 10:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Unfortunately, viewer outcry means nothing to the networks. Most viewers just accept what programmers throw at them and my guess is, few take a proactive approach and contact the networks to complain. Have you forgotten, this is America? That's the American way.

There are viewers that complain. I bitch about it publically on my website and I don't hold back on my words.

There was a posting in a TV Guide Monday column as well. It seems that TV Guide's writers are getting complaints.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #287 of 3293 Old 03-11-2008, 10:16 PM

I am in total agreement with you. I too complain, regularly, but, it seems as though the networks and programmers continue to do what they want regardless of what we think.

post #288 of 3293 Old 03-12-2008, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

I have bombarded every network with e-mails that does this, including the ones that don't have an HD feed yet. BBC America and ABC seem to be taking the lead in screen clutter in SD. Enough already with these idiotic promo bugs. Next will be Oprah's transparent face over the entire viewing area with "ALL NEW BIG GIVE" at the bottom. The TBS equivilent would be a streched transparent Tyler Perry.
post #289 of 3293 Old 03-20-2008, 11:19 AM

I still think NBC is the worst network of all the broadcast networks (NBC, CBS, FOX, CW, ABC, and MYNETWORKTV) for on screen ads.

CW did not have an ad for an upcoming show during the 9PM hour last night, nor during Reaper last Thursday, nor during some Sunday prime time shows. NBC does on screen permanent ads all the time unless it is Dateline.

Also got to give NBC lower marks for using the ad bug to put "Lipstick Jungle Season Finale Tomorrow 10PM" last night during Law and Order. Putting Season Finale does not matter. Just a waste of space. If you don't watch the show, you are not going to watch just the season finale. If you do watch the show, you will watch the show regardless of whether it is a season finale episode.

Just wish someone over at NBC Universal or parent company GE would stop this very annoying practice already.
post #290 of 3293 Old 03-20-2008, 11:47 AM

Your lucky, my L&O last night was in small box all night because they were running a banner at the bottom about the DTV transition and to call the number or visit a few websites for information... looped, over and over, for 20 of the 60 minutes that show was on! Now, take the small box (bars on all 4 sides), the rolling banner on the bottom, a Flood Warning on top of that, and the Lip Stick Jungle bug above that; and I can't tell you what in the hell was going on in the show... Lucky for me, I'll catch it again on USA, or Universal, or TBS... or, wow, how many channels run L&O?
post #291 of 3293 Old 03-20-2008, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

"Lipstick Jungle Season Finale Tomorrow 10PM" last night during Law and Order.

It may be "Series Finale" for that show.
post #292 of 3293 Old 03-20-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knicks_Fan View Post

It may be "Series Finale" for that show.

Better yet would be the "finale" to the NBC ad bug like on LENO.
post #293 of 3293 Old 03-21-2008, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

I would like to take every ad bug and send it into space. MRVIDEO gets the honor of lighting the fuse. Every time I look, more and more channels are using it (ABC Family, Spike TV recently noted, the biggest one lately is LMN).
post #294 of 3293 Old 03-21-2008, 08:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knicks_Fan View Post

I would like to take every ad bug and send it into space. MRVIDEO gets the honor of lighting the fuse. Every time I look, more and more channels are using it (ABC Family, Spike TV recently noted, the biggest one lately is LMN).

Thanks, I'd be happy to light the fuse to do that. I would have HD video shot of the event and post it on the website as well, clutter free

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #295 of 3293 Old 03-21-2008, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I bet you could get HDNet to cover it too. They already cover the shuttle launches and have long been a network that asks what viewers want rather than one that tells the viewers what they want so it seems right up their alley.
post #296 of 3293 Old 03-24-2008, 07:16 PM

CW is almost as bad as NBC now. The keyword here is almost. If they do not capitalize on the mistake of sister network CBS by calling Jericho a Season Finale one minute and then canceling and calling it the Series Finale a few days later, and assuming CW does not pick up Jericho from CBS then they should be tied with NBC for the worst.

Jericho would fit well with CW's programming lineup of other non-lawyer, cop, and medical dramas. It would be a better move to pick up a semi-established series than to start a new series that people will automatically dismiss as being second rate. Jericho could fit well with either Smallville or Supernatural. Plus they need a couple of shows to fill the exiting CW NOW and Friday Night Smackdown. I know this is getting off topic here.

My point is that CW needs to quit putting those ad bugs on and focus more on quality programming and image.

I can't figure out what NBC was doing during their HD broadcast of the Nightly News on Easter. During at least 2 commercial breaks they showed nothing but commercials of their own shows. Did no one pay for any of the spots during these 2 breaks? Some of the commercials were HD or widescreeen including one for Deal and Medium and one for the Apprentice finale which is not widescreen nor HD. Then during one segment the main newsroom which is usually widescreen without those side bars actually has the side bars on it. Did the network engineer fall asleep or something?
post #297 of 3293 Old 03-24-2008, 09:18 PM

Has anyone seen the crap logo and program announcement on the Lifetime Movie Network? I think this one is up there if not the worst of the clutterbugs.
You can't even focus on the movie because the bug gets in the way. When will it end?

post #298 of 3293 Old 03-24-2008, 09:40 PM

The CW is guilty also of the never disappearing logos. Only shows I watch on CW are Aliens in America, Everybody Hates Chris and Smallville. The logo on the lower left, which is more towards the middle of the screen is ridiculous.
post #299 of 3293 Old 03-24-2008, 09:42 PM

Quote:

Has anyone seen the crap logo and program announcement on the Lifetime Movie Network? I think this one is up there if not the worst of the clutterbugs.
You can't even focus on the movie because the bug gets in the way. When will it end?

Watching LMN? I HOPE that you're a female!!
post #300 of 3293 Old 03-24-2008, 09:46 PM

I don't watch LMN. I just noticed it when I channel surfed and it stuck out so I commented.

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page