Old 04-07-2008, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by richiephx View Post

Today, I was watching LOTR on TNT and I really loved the airplane flying from the lower right hand corner of the tv screen to the left, with king kong grabbing and swatting at airplanes atop the empire state building. It really added to the mood of the movie. Someone needs to swat TNT.

Indeed. In general, the PQ and AQ was pretty good. However, the annoying TNT junk on the screen, as well as the changed aspect ratio, and the "limited" commercial interruptions made me lose interest after a while. I'd love to check out the movies in BD when they become available.

Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2008, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast View Post

CBS has joined the low life ranks of NBC, and CW. They are now telling me what I am watching and what comes on later or in a few days. All of this on the HD feed during HD programs. Watching CSI: Miami from Monday night.

Hopefully there was backlash from this. Finally got caught up on the other CSI's and Cold Case and the snipes were not there anymore. Please keep it this way CBS.

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

My Samsung 55" D8000 LED-3D tv settings.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

Might be worth it (ha!...doubtful) to send letters/email to the stations who do NOT do the constant bug-ads and thank them in advance for not lowering themselves to NBC and CW standards.

"Thank you for reminding us, we completely forgot about this. The equipment to do this has been ordered, we should have constant ad bugs in a few weeks."
Old 04-07-2008, 11:36 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdawg View Post

Yet another annoyance. On "Dexter" tonight there was an ad stating "This CBS station will be going all digital in Feb. 2009. Call phone #/website for more info". It was a network ad. I'm puzzled why they would run that on the DIGITAL channel?? Obviously if I am watching the digital channel I: A)have a digital converter box/DTV ready TV; B)have a HDTV/digital cable box. That ad SHOULD only be on the SD feed only, since it will be going away in Feb. 09. Think we'll have to put up with more of this crap in the coming months?

I've already seen the local affiliates running crawls during daytime programming about DTV. And I'm willing to bet there will still be some meatheads on 2/17/09 that don't know why their TV stopped working.

You mentioned it was a network ad. There is only one SD and one HD path coming from the affiliates receive equipment. (in some affiliates cases, they are downconverting the HD to SD) There is no way to do a separate analog message. That would have to be at station level (provided they aren't taking one output and sending it to both analog and digital). Then there is no way for them to do what you are positing.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:47 PM

Now that My Dad and Amne$ia are about over and since NBC has not announced any new series lately, I think we should be prepared to be bombarded by Deal or No Deal over the next month or so in addition to the Olympic Ads that come on every half hour during their primetime shows. I cannot believe NBC is stupid enough to put all their eggs into one basket. Not even the upcoming Star Wars themed episode of Deal or No Deal can make this show tolerable to watch again for me and many other viewers of the show.

But wait, there is more!! This summer Al Roker has to invade primetime to give us Celebrity Family Feud. If Deal or No Deal 3 nights a week and the cancellation of 1 vs 100 was not bad enough, we now have to put up with more cheap programming. Keep Roker to the Today show please.

As for the Farmer Gets a Wife ad bug on CW, you know your ad bug is too big when your ad bug is bigger than your logo and you have one of the biggest logos to start with!! They are currently the king size of ad bugs AND logos.

-YakHDTV06
Old 04-08-2008, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakHDTV06 View Post

Now that My Dad and Amne$ia are about over and since NBC has not announced any new series lately, I think we should be prepared to be bombarded by Deal or No Deal over the next month or so in addition to the Olympic Ads that come on every half hour during their primetime shows. I cannot believe NBC is stupid enough to put all their eggs into one basket. Not even the upcoming Star Wars themed episode of Deal or No Deal can make this show tolerable to watch again for me and many other viewers of the show.

But wait, there is more!! This summer Al Roker has to invade primetime to give us Celebrity Family Feud. If Deal or No Deal 3 nights a week and the cancellation of 1 vs 100 was not bad enough, we now have to put up with more cheap programming. Keep Roker to the Today show please.

As for the Farmer Gets a Wife ad bug on CW, you know your ad bug is too big when your ad bug is bigger than your logo and you have one of the biggest logos to start with!! They are currently the king size of ad bugs AND logos.

-YakHDTV06

That is a dumb move on their part, considering all the protesting and commotion going on over the Olympics in China. What if the US and other nations decide to boycott the Oylimpics? Then what is NBC going to do??

1 vs 100 was canceled? I can't believe it!!! Another dick move by NBC.

And I hate the CW even more for: 1)even giving air time to such excrement as "Farmer gets a Wife". 2)advertising this garbage over decent programming and 3)incresing the size of the ad text to make sure people know about their sh*tty show. I hope this bug works. I hope people see it and say, "good, another show for me to NOT watch!!".
Old 04-08-2008, 11:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knicks_Fan View Post

Do I hear 40 minutes? And just in case anyone doesn't know where they are:

You're reading AVS Forum, HDTV Programming.

I chuckled.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

I still think 1 vs. 100 will come back as a fill-in show. Hopefully we will never see those other two lame game shows again, I forget their names because my brain is not better than yours. Same goes for Mr. Trump's show. And to make the post legit, it's time for Law and Order (an HD show) to say (sound effect) goodbye.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:

Do I hear 40 minutes? And just in case anyone doesn't know where they are:

I'm sure what you really meant was:

You're reading AVS Forum,
HDTV Programming.

(Insert snipe of Larry running across the screen with a PDA....)
Old 04-09-2008, 04:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

I'm sure what you really meant was:

HDTV Programming.

(Insert snipe of Larry running across the screen with a PDA....)

That seems too logical, you should have really have said ...

HDTV Programming.

that way we'll have a good heads up. Especially if it's shown all the time until then.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

In keeping with decision that I have made with tv programming, I am going to stop reading this forum.

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

Old 04-10-2008, 05:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

In keeping with decision that I have made with tv programming, I am going to stop reading this forum.

No more "promo bugs" I promise.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No more "promo bugs" I promise.

I thought it was genius.

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

Old 04-10-2008, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I was watching Under Seige 2 on TNT-HD last night and all of a sudden some biplanes appeared and flew around the screen for a while. WTF!!! Turned into an Ad for upcoming King Kong movie. Ridiculous!
Old 04-10-2008, 09:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldorfSalad View Post

I was watching Under Seige 2 on TNT-HD last night and all of a sudden some biplanes appeared and flew around the screen for a while. WTF!!! Turned into an Ad for upcoming King Kong movie. Ridiculous!

I haven't watched TNT for a long time so out of curiosity I turned on LotR over the weekend for five minutes, saw the same biplanes, turned off.

I can't think of any reason on the planet to watch a movie on TNT. Edited for time, edited for content, broken by ads and plastered with animated bugs ...

HD? No thanks. You can't enjoy the view through your window with a junkyard in the way.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

Was watching Masters highlights last night on ESPN, no logo, no ticker, and Augusta's own graphics. I wish things were always like that.

A tradition unlike any other...™
Masters ESPN thread
Old 04-11-2008, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

On last night's Tonight Show the bug came on with the "Biggest Loser Finale" text above it. About halfway through the monologue the bug completely disappeared and stayed off until the commercial. After the commercial break, the bug reappeared sans ad text.

The bug on the "Tonight Show" never has the advertising above it, even though the Conan and Carson Daly do. It looks like someone made a "mistake" with the bugs and it was quickly corrected.

You would think NBC would do something like this on Leno:

TONIGHT SHOW
w/CONAN O'BRIEN
Coming Fall 2009
(peacock)
Old 04-12-2008, 10:32 AM

BG on Sci-Fi last night? wtf - not only was it crappy hd to begin with (bad source + comcast = yuk), but that bright white SciFi logo was like a zit I used to get in hs. Look in the mirror and it's all you see - an annoying distraction.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:

That ad SHOULD only be on the SD feed only, since it will be going away in Feb. 09.

I know this isn't the thread to discus this but, SD is not going away in 2009. The switch from analog to digital is just that and has nothing to do with HD. There is nothing that mandates that channels must be in HD next year. You already get plenty of digital SD channels if you have cable or sat.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
Old 04-12-2008, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

I know this isn't the thread to discus this but, SD is not going away in 2009.

That SD feed that people are seeing the message on will be going away.
Old 04-12-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:

On last night's Tonight Show the bug came on with the "Biggest Loser Finale" text above it. About halfway through the monologue the bug completely disappeared and stayed off until the commercial. After the commercial break, the bug reappeared sans ad text.

The bug on the "Tonight Show" never has the advertising above it, even though the Conan and Carson Daly do. It looks like someone made a "mistake" with the bugs and it was quickly corrected.

You would think NBC would do something like this on Leno:

TONIGHT SHOW
w/CONAN O'BRIEN
Coming Fall 2009
(peacock)

Saw a little bit of Leno last night, but not the part with an ad bug that you referred to.

However I also saw a little bit of Miss USA last night on NBC and couldn't believe what NBC did to that show. Even though Miss USA was either HD or upconverted widescreen and even though the ad bug is usually clear over to the left side of the screen for HD shows, last night during Miss USA it was over to the right a ways over by where the SD bug usually is. You could have fit another NBC peacock and ad bug to the left of it.

But that is NBC I suppose. They tend to find new ways to annoy you. I just find it a bit ironic that parent company GE can't sell some real estate but their NBC division has no problem finding "space" on their shows to let you know about their upcoming programs.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Saw a little bit of Leno last night, but not the part with an ad bug that you referred to.

However I also saw a little bit of Miss USA last night on NBC and couldn't believe what NBC did to that show. Even though Miss USA was either HD or upconverted widescreen and even though the ad bug is usually clear over to the left side of the screen for HD shows, last night during Miss USA it was over to the right a ways over by where the SD bug usually is. You could have fit another NBC peacock and ad bug to the left of it.

But that is NBC I suppose. They tend to find new ways to annoy you. I just find it a bit ironic that parent company GE can't sell some real estate but their NBC division has no problem finding "space" on their shows to let you know about their upcoming programs.

The bug was in that position because it was a live show and the bug was set for 4:3 center cut, similar to live sporting events. That is a common network practice. I'd expect to see more of this as we get closer to the digital TV transition(to make downconversion easier). I didn't have a problem with the bug position(except it is on the WRONG side of the screen!), but I did a problem with the text above it. NBC has sunk to the level of advertising its crappy shows over special events. Can we expect similar next time a major award show is on NBC? Can we expect the same this summer during the Olympics? That would be the ULTIMATE dick move by NBC to ruin the Olympics with advertising crap like this.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

I know this isn't the thread to discus this but, SD is not going away in 2009. The switch from analog to digital is just that and has nothing to do with HD. There is nothing that mandates that channels must be in HD next year. You already get plenty of digital SD channels if you have cable or sat.

I was a little unclear. Since this is network TV, the SD+analog feed will be the one going away. The advertisments I've seen on CBS are 4:3 safe, showing that the analog feed will be going away. After Feb 09, the SD digital channel we will be seeing on cable or satellite(of local affiliates) will be the downconverted HD channel.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

BIGGEST LOSER
FINALE
TOMORROW 8/7c

I knew NBC's ratings were bad, but I didn't know they were ending!

NBC is the BIGGEST LOSER of the broadcast networks, right?
Old 04-15-2008, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

8/8/08 is coming.... on NBC. How can we annoy you more.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by egroman View Post

BG on Sci-Fi last night? wtf - not only was it crappy hd to begin with (bad source + comcast = yuk), but that bright white SciFi logo was like a zit I used to get in hs. Look in the mirror and it's all you see - an annoying distraction.

Add the HUGE logo plus the Doctor Who next Friday 8PM to that, for a fraking 60 mins...

Seriously they need to shrink that logo it takes 1/8 of the screen or more..

Or transluce it 90%

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
Old 04-15-2008, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The networks think that all viewers are <5 years old with very short attention spans. Thus, the continual reminder of what channel and show we are watching.

The continual scrolling banners on the news channels are also very annoying.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Seriously they need to shrink that logo it takes 1/8 of the screen or more..

Or transluce it 90%

No, it needs to be Nuked 100%
Old 04-16-2008, 12:36 PM

This morning around 7:30 AM on the west coast, ABC and CBS came on with Special Reports to cover the ceremony where both President Bush and the Pope spoke.

But over at NBC... Well a totally different story. They stuck to the Today show and worse they put on an interview with a boy who happened to get a butter knife stuck in his head while the other 2 major networks were covering the ceremony.

If that wasn't bad enough, CBS and ABC were commercial-free during the Special Reports, but NBC did show commercials during that half hour including 2 for parent/sister company Universal Pictures.

I hope that someone at the FCC sees this and makes NBC pay for this. NBC's attitude with their advertising and news journalism is going too far.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I hope that someone at the FCC sees this and makes NBC pay for this. NBC's attitude with their advertising and news journalism is going too far.

I certainly hope you're kidding.

Why would the FCC fine NBC for not covering a particular story? That's none of the FCC's concern.