post #451 of 3293 Old 05-01-2008, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

CBS does this, too - at least when they go to break. The bug usually hangs there over black for a good second or two before the commercials pop up. It gives me plenty of time to grab the remote...

Yeah but now CBS has the biggest snipes of all the HD stations that currently do them.

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

My Samsung 55" D8000 LED-3D tv settings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 3293 Old 05-01-2008, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

CBS does this, too - at least when they go to break. The bug usually hangs there over black for a good second or two before the commercials pop up. It gives me plenty of time to grab the remote...

I liked that for recording to VHS to save shows w/o commercials. Plenty of "dead air" before commercials to pause and after commercials to resume recording.
post #453 of 3293 Old 05-01-2008, 06:14 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy W View Post

I'd say it's less "embracing" than the fact that they don't have the capability to do it.

Oh the capability is there. How do you think the ABC HD bug gets on screen? Same device.
post #454 of 3293 Old 05-01-2008, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

To show how bad CBS has become. I'm glad they did it up against a dark background so it didn't disturb the program I was watching.

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

post #455 of 3293 Old 05-01-2008, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja2bk View Post

Oh the capability is there. How do you think the ABC HD bug gets on screen? Same device.

I watched "Lost" on ABC SD tonight and was pleasantly surprised that the bugs/snipes were nowhere near as bad as NBC or CBS. ABC still keeps their HD feed clean and the SD graphics are done very conservatively as well. They even adjusted the timing of the bug tonight so it wouldn't cover the subtitles when Jin and Sun were talking. Even the local ABC5 bug that appears after breaks cleared to not cover the subtitles. At least ABC still knows how to do TV, although that may change to keep up with the other stations annoyances.
post #456 of 3293 Old 05-03-2008, 07:30 PM

Was amazed there wasn't an ad bug other than the olympic rings under the NBC peacock. Maybe NBC should fire their Prime Time people and replace them with the people in charge of their Sports and Late Night programming. They seem to be the only ones at the Peacock network who are decent enough to give us a more ad-free broadcast on this network that is getting more pathetic every day.
post #457 of 3293 Old 05-05-2008, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

CW has been surprising low on spam the last couple nights: there was no NBC-style garbage above the bug like we've seen over the past months. The popup ads in the middle of the show were still present, but at least they're taking baby steps in the right direction.
post #458 of 3293 Old 05-06-2008, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hey ABC, whatever happened to small, unobtrusive watermarks?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41748437@N00/2471177692/
post #459 of 3293 Old 05-06-2008, 08:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteaz View Post

CW has been surprising low on spam the last couple nights: there was no NBC-style garbage above the bug like we've seen over the past months. The popup ads in the middle of the show were still present, but at least they're taking baby steps in the right direction.

That's no indication. They do that every other week and then it's back to the bug spam.

post #460 of 3293 Old 05-06-2008, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post

They still have one corner left.
post #461 of 3293 Old 05-06-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:

CW does appear to be the only network of the most offensive ones going in the right direction.

If NBC putting constant reminders of American Gladiators on the screen this past week or two wasn't bad enough, NBC's International Deal or No Deal episode last night was a big joke. The woman who hosts the Filipino version of the show was completely overshadowed by Howie!! He was running the show being both host and banker roles like in the US version. And yet they had to remind us after each commercial break what the Filipino's host name was even though he was doing most of the host duties. No wonder Howie is hosting the syndicated version this fall too. No one else has a big enough ego.
post #462 of 3293 Old 05-06-2008, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41748437@N00/2471177692/

Around fall 2007 ABC joined the ***hole club of morning TV. The club started by Today and their disgusting graphics. GMA was the FIRST in HD in the morning. I've always liked GMA because the logo consisted of the small, transparent ABC circle and that same logo was in the right sidebar on HD. Now in an attempt to out-irritate Today, GMA switched to the animated "floating" logo/graphics. Now the only morning show I'll watch is the Early Show at CBS. At least CBS still keeps the transparent "eye"(for now).
post #463 of 3293 Old 05-06-2008, 04:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

That's no indication. They do that every other week and then it's back to the bug spam.

No they haven't. Except for the past several days, they've constantly plastered text over the top of the wrongly placed bug. I have proof if you want it.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #464 of 3293 Old 05-08-2008, 12:02 PM

CW thankfully is still sticking to no ad bug while NBC keeps getting worse and worse. Case in point was last night's Deal or No Deal where a Deal or No Deal Globe Animated bug showed up in the right corner every time they switched to a shot of the studio. Just as annoying as those Decision 2008 Animated bugs from a month or two ago. Howie Mandel still seems to be running the International episodes. It is just surprising that Deal has lasted this long.
post #465 of 3293 Old 05-08-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakHDTV06 View Post

CW thankfully is still sticking to no ad bug while NBC keeps getting worse and worse. Case in point was last night's Deal or No Deal where a Deal or No Deal Globe Animated bug showed up in the right corner every time they switched to a shot of the studio. Just as annoying as those Decision 2008 Animated bugs from a month or two ago. Howie Mandel still seems to be running the International episodes. It is just surprising that Deal has lasted this long.

You beat me to the post. I saw this last night too and couldn't believe how distracting the revolving globe bug was. Something as obnoxious as this does not generate revenue for the network, so I don't understand why they do it. I can't believe that the average viewer doesn't object to this crap. But then, what recourse does the viewer have....none.

TNT: WE KNOW INTERRUPTIONS
TBS: TURNER BROADCASTING SUCKS
NBC: National Boredcasting Company
post #466 of 3293 Old 05-11-2008, 01:52 PM

I have been extremely distracted by Tv logos, ads, scoreboards, and tickers. I hate them all!!! Im not watching the stockmarket i want to watch the game. I would pay alittle money a year to not see any graphics at all. The huge scoreboards during all sports and even nascar drive me crazy. When i go to a live game im NOT LOOKING AT THE SCOREBOARD THE WHOLE GAME. It should flash every 5-10 min like you would do if you were at the game. The whole point of HD is to make you feel like your at the game but you have this huge scoreboard or bar on the screen taking away from the experience with a ticker.

Did anybody see the PGA the masters? No logos, no advertising just golf. They didnt allow them at all and it was apparent. Jay leno doesnt allow ad logos and thats obvious.

Tv logos need to go period they are distracting and retarded. I buy tv shows on xbox marketplace just so i dont have to see that crap. Networks if you are listening i will pay to not see your bull****. If not i just wont watch at all.
post #467 of 3293 Old 05-11-2008, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

This week's annoyance at NBC is a countdown to "American Gladiators". Monday at 8pm.
Thanks for the ad bug NBC!! You reminded me to NOT watch that pathetic trainwreck take one last gasp for air before it is ultimately cancelled(like everything else on NBC). "The Big Bang Theory" is on Monday and much funnier and better than any turd NBC tries to polish.
post #468 of 3293 Old 05-11-2008, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

CW is back at it tonight.
TOP MODEL
FINALE
WEDNESDAY 8/7C

CW
post #469 of 3293 Old 05-11-2008, 11:20 PM

Quote:

TOP MODEL
FINALE
WEDNESDAY 8/7C

CW

I think we should all send emails to CW to request that they move the bug to the center of the viewing area so that we don't miss the upcoming announcements.

TNT: WE KNOW INTERRUPTIONS
TBS: TURNER BROADCASTING SUCKS
NBC: National Boredcasting Company
post #470 of 3293 Old 05-12-2008, 12:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

TOP MODEL
FINALE
WEDNESDAY 8/7C

CW

I think we should tell the CW to replace all non-reality programming on the network with a full screen title card announcing the next upcoming reality show. Make it a f*****g public access bulletin board!!
post #471 of 3293 Old 05-12-2008, 12:56 AM

The CW bug was a bit smaller (the advertising part) but still as annoying. Does it really work for them? Someone needs to do a study on this to see what affect (positive, negative or neutral) it has on the viewer.
post #472 of 3293 Old 05-12-2008, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Never watched the NBC series "Life" when it was running live last year, so I decided to um... 'get' the episodes online recently. Most of the online episodes were captured from the Canadian network "Global", one or two were captured from the American NBC network. As can be expected, the episodes from NBC had pop-up advertising various upcoming NBC series, the morphing color peacock logo and other annoying distractions constantly running through the full duration of the program. In contrast, it was a pleasure watching the shows captured from the Canadian "Global" network... absolutely no pop-ups, crawlers, bugs, or other annoyances whatsoever. Just an appropriately sized "PG" rating over a maple leaf outline in the top corner of the first 15 seconds of the opening- no reiteration of the PG rating after every commercial break, and during the show a small simple plain white static "Global" logo in the bottom right corner of the frame.
Watching the Canadian broadcast of the NBC show was like watching a US network broadcast from 15 years ago before all the graphic diarrhea began here.

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #473 of 3293 Old 05-12-2008, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

I've seen episodes from non-US and agree the clutter free is very nice.

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

post #474 of 3293 Old 05-12-2008, 09:33 AM

You mean this Global? Hmm, I think this episode was either written, produced by or starred someone named "raham" (left side of image). I find those more annoying than that thing NBC did with their now, next images.

post #475 of 3293 Old 05-12-2008, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offline View Post

You mean this Global? Hmm, I think this episode was either written, produced by or starred someone named "raham" (left side of image). I find those more annoying than that thing NBC did with their now, next images.

Hmmmmm..... none of that junk on the "Life" episodes. The episodes I have are (claimed to be) from the Global HD channel. Maybe they can't do the graphics on the HD simulcast yet? Guess I'll have to watch some of the episodes again.... just to be sure

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #476 of 3293 Old 05-12-2008, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offline View Post

The CW bug was a bit smaller (the advertising part) but still as annoying. Does it really work for them? Someone needs to do a study on this to see what affect (positive, negative or neutral) it has on the viewer.

Considering that the CW's ratings are down somewhere around 20% this season, I certainly see little reason to believe that it is working for them.

Mind you, I'm also not saying that the annoying bugs are promos are necessarily hurting the CW, either -- but it does seem like if they're running ever more intrusive on-screen promos adn still seeing their ratings drop, well maybe they should try something else.
post #477 of 3293 Old 05-12-2008, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

Most of the online episodes were captured from the Canadian network "Global", one or two were captured from the American NBC network. As can be expected, the episodes from NBC had pop-up advertising various upcoming NBC series, the morphing color peacock logo and other annoying distractions constantly running through the full duration of the program. In contrast, it was a pleasure watching the shows captured from the Canadian "Global" network... absolutely no pop-ups, crawlers, bugs, or other annoyances whatsoever. Just an appropriately sized "PG" rating over a maple leaf outline in the top corner of the first 15 seconds of the opening- no reiteration of the PG rating after every commercial break, and during the show a small simple plain white static "Global" logo in the bottom right corner of the frame.
Watching the Canadian broadcast of the NBC show was like watching a US network broadcast from 15 years ago before all the graphic diarrhea began here.

That's a better experience than what I had with the one time that I saw an episode of "New Amsterdam" from Global. By the end of the program, I think that the on-screen popups during the show had alerted me to everything that was on Global's prime time schedule for the next three days. It was very cluttered, perhaps comparable to Sci Fi or NBC.
post #478 of 3293 Old 05-12-2008, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

The post got removed, but which network is moving their bug to 4:3?

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

post #479 of 3293 Old 05-12-2008, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Many of the episodes floating around out there in unmentionable places don't appear to actually be from Canadian broadcasts, despite the presence of a CTV or Global bug. When compared to actual Canadian broadcasts, they are missing things like the Canadian rating, or they have a station bug which doesn't match the real one or is in the wrong location. Also, the Canadian networks usually have color animation when the bug shows up after each commercial akin to CBS's rotating eye/CBS HDTV or CW's popup ad which aren't on those Internet versions. Also, CTV and Global are just as bad as the US networks when it comes to promoting their other shows, and those ads usually seem to be missing as well. I've seen speculation on other forums that the Internet versions are actually being taken from HD wildfeeds, but I wouldn't know if it's even possible to get those onto a computer.
post #480 of 3293 Old 05-12-2008, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

On tonight's new episode of Conan I see the NBC bug is on without the advertising text above it. Jay Leno must object to the ad bug since it has rarely been on his show. He must have lots of power, since Leno is the only show where the SD feed is not letterboxed. Now let's hope Conan took a smart pill and decided to reject this nonsense.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page