1Likes

post #721 of 3302 Old 06-27-2008, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast View Post

In the name of a contestant on SYTYCD, Phuc Dat.

MTV already does this crap on Real World (wife watches it) and I noticed it one episode. I've never looked to see who is singing a specific song since I noticed it.

If this kind of crap happens I am going to create my own line of tv's with the bottom 30% of the screen set with overscan.

Beware, you might have to disclose the non-disclosure if you do that

TNT: WE KNOW INTERRUPTIONS
TBS: TURNER BROADCASTING SUCKS
NBC: National Boredcasting Company
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 3302 Old 06-27-2008, 10:39 AM

Liked: 11
Another one bites the dust...

post #723 of 3302 Old 06-27-2008, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadCronin View Post

Now they want to have it so there is a scroll when there is advertising on the show.

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.co...me-disclosure/

So that means MORE on screen garbage? Great, now we'll be subjected to product placement in shows as well as more on screen clutter telling me a commecrial is on.
post #724 of 3302 Old 06-27-2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdawg View Post

So that means MORE on screen garbage? Great, now we'll be subjected to product placement in shows as well as more on screen clutter telling me a commecrial is on.

Yeah I think it's a bad idea. I am not bothered by product placement as far as seeing a company logo on something. Having to work products into the show isn't too big of a deal if it's a low amount. I go on about stuff I like to my friends, so I would expect it on a show. I actually get more distracted when they go through the effort of covering something up. But I think putting a scroll to say what product is being placed will ad to the clutter, annoyance, and frustration of watch tv.
post #725 of 3302 Old 06-28-2008, 07:17 PM

Was just forwarded this: Conan & Robert Smigel talking about & playing with the NBC bug.

http://www.latenightunderground.com/...ustrator.shtml
post #726 of 3302 Old 06-29-2008, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlu View Post

Was just forwarded this: Conan & Robert Smigel talking about & playing with the NBC bug.

http://www.latenightunderground.com/...ustrator.shtml

Little late as it was already posted on the previous page of this thread. Still funny though.
post #727 of 3302 Old 06-30-2008, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offline View Post

Of course those same lines of text also appear on TLC's SD feed, where it's an even more egregious loss of picture area.
post #728 of 3302 Old 06-30-2008, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offline View Post

Not sure if you caught this yesterday, but my wife was watching John and Kate Plus 8, and they added this on the bottom: "The Singing Office and John and Kate Plus 8 Music Video Premiere" to it, along with the date and all that.

It was nearly to the 1/2 way mark on my screen (height-wise).
post #729 of 3302 Old 06-30-2008, 08:36 AM

I sent an email to TLC telling them I was adding their channel to my HD suck list.

post #730 of 3302 Old 06-30-2008, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

TLC: Life Snipeprises
post #731 of 3302 Old 07-01-2008, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
A&E now with screen diarrhea on the top left.

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

My Samsung 55" D8000 LED-3D tv settings.
post #732 of 3302 Old 07-02-2008, 06:10 PM

I swear I saw no advertisements on NBC's bug tonight,
post #733 of 3302 Old 07-02-2008, 06:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKyuubi View Post

I swear I saw no advertisements on NBC's bug tonight,

They must be running out of new shows to plug. That's the bright spot of summer reruns. All the shows that did air before with stupid promos now have a chance of appearing clean because the channels are running out of new stuff to remind you about.

post #734 of 3302 Old 07-02-2008, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

If the promotional departments were actually putting effort in they would be coming up with better ways. Like the Fox remote-free TV concept. It's unproven but at least it's not just a result of lazy thinking.

Well, I wouldn't say that Fox' "remote-free TV" is entirely unproven -- in what is maybe just coincidence, the commercial and promotional load that they have announced for the trial (10 minutes maximum) is amazingly close to the pre-1980 NAB code limit for primetime network television (9 1/2 minutes maximum). Most of us who watched primetime television back then can probably recall that a commercial load in that amount is fairly inoffensive.

For that matter, on the rare occasions when these old shows run uncut, the difference in the commercial loads is striking. Several years back, I was using my DVD recorder to catch daytime reruns of "McHale's Navy" on a local station -- since there is apparently no syndication edit available, the station just ran the programs at their original length of 25:10, which left room for 4 1/2 minutes of commercials plus a couple of station IDs. The breaks were short enough that they really weren't annoying...

While I'm sure that it won't eliminate commercial skipping, it will certainly reduce it substantially -- short breaks make it harder to change channels and return before the program restarts, and overshooting on the fast forwards using a DVR also becomes an issue.
post #735 of 3302 Old 07-03-2008, 03:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Desmond View Post

Well, I wouldn't say that Fox' "remote-free TV" is entirely unproven -- in what is maybe just coincidence, the commercial and promotional load that they have announced for the trial (10 minutes maximum) is amazingly close to the pre-1980 NAB code limit for primetime network television (9 1/2 minutes maximum). Most of us who watched primetime television back then can probably recall that a commercial load in that amount is fairly inoffensive.

Ah but that was back then. It's a different landscape now and we don't know how it will fare in the age of 300 channels,VOD, DVRs and the internet.

We still have to see if Fox consider the shorter ad blocks an excuse for more in-show commercials as well.

I'll have no complaints if they only allocate 10 minutes of ads per hour and no screen junk. I might even watch it live if that's the case.

post #736 of 3302 Old 07-03-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:

They must be running out of new shows to plug. That's the bright spot of summer reruns. All the shows that did air before with stupid promos now have a chance of appearing clean because the channels are running out of new stuff to remind you about.

I am about 100% convinced that NBC is just putting these annoying ads on now for copy protection purposes. They figure no one is going to copy "Baby Borrowers", which was the show with only a few brief ad bugs last night, and put it on Youtube. But with a show like "America's Got Talent", NBC gets paranoid and figures people will upload it on Youtube. So then NBC will want to claim that they are losing money by people watching something on Youtube that is on their network that is on free TV anyways.
post #737 of 3302 Old 07-07-2008, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelFan1 View Post

I know we have been having various posts about the pop-ups, etc, on NBC, like the is NBC the new TNT and others, but I, in fact, my wife and I, are so pissed off with all the cluttering that most networks are putting on our screens that I've decided to vent a bit and create a new post - Mods >> I hope you do not mind.

NBC >> I don't give a rat's... that Battle of Choirs or whatever will start whenever... but TAKE THAT DAMN pop-up out of my screen! When, say, I am watching Deal or No deal, I want to watch the models, Howie, the contestants, etc...

Fox 5 NY >> While you are showing Senfield, I don't care that I can go to your website and find more info if it's going to steal 1/3 of the Screen space

Discovery >> I am a huge fan of Mythbusters, so I know I can watch more in your website about the show!

ABC >> A BIG THANK YOU! for not cluttering your shows like Housewifes, etc. Just a request: Do the same thing during the next Fifa World Cup!!!!

I hope some network execs read these posts, because rather than making us want to watch these damn shows, web sites, etc, this is only making us NOT TO WANT TO WATCH these damn new crappy shows!

There was a poster who's nick I have forgotten that tried to get point out this problem would increase if enough people didn't try and complain loudly enough 2-3 years ago. Most AVS members replied, "just drop the channel". As they predicted, once the door was open....

Now everyone pays the price because of inaction years ago.
post #738 of 3302 Old 07-07-2008, 04:31 PM

NBC UNIVERSAL just acquired this channel. I suppose this means the end of The Weather Channel as we knew it just like the way they screwed up NBC prime time and daytime with the bugs.

And where does NBC UNIVERSAL's own Weather + channel fit into their awful schemes? Why would you need to own both of the top two weather networks? I think we might be saying adios to one of them in the next couple of years.
post #739 of 3302 Old 07-07-2008, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakHDTV06 View Post

I think we might be saying adios to one of them in the next couple of years.

Yeah, and it's not too hard to guess which one it'll be, either...
post #740 of 3302 Old 07-07-2008, 08:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakHDTV06 View Post

I am about 100% convinced that NBC is just putting these annoying ads on now for copy protection purposes. They figure no one is going to copy "Baby Borrowers", which was the show with only a few brief ad bugs last night, and put it on Youtube. But with a show like "America's Got Talent", NBC gets paranoid and figures people will upload it on Youtube. So then NBC will want to claim that they are losing money by people watching something on Youtube that is on their network that is on free TV anyways.

That makes no sense. How does adding additional promos and more precisely the bug promos prevent copying? NBC shows have been uploaded all the time with the network bug intact. If anything adding promo bugs makes it more useful to them when pirated since at least they might get a live viewer kickback from having the ad embedded in the video.

Plus a lot of NBC shows already air free online at Hulu, yet they still have promo overload when viewed on network. AGT has plenty of free clips at Hulu.

post #741 of 3302 Old 07-09-2008, 02:27 PM

Eureka on Sci-Fi last night? Even if it was hd (poor pq as usual), the bright white completely opaque logo and constant promo bug for ghostseekers or whatever it was took up about an 1/8th of the screen. I couldn't watch and changed to MadMen ondemand. So you lost my eyeballs sci-fi. Just thought you'd want to know....
post #742 of 3302 Old 07-09-2008, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

That makes no sense. How does adding additional promos and more precisely the bug promos prevent copying? NBC shows have been uploaded all the time with the network bug intact. If anything adding promo bugs makes it more useful to them when pirated since at least they might get a live viewer kickback from having the ad embedded in the video.

Plus a lot of NBC shows already air free online at Hulu, yet they still have promo overload when viewed on network. AGT has plenty of free clips at Hulu.

It provides proof of ownership and makes prosecution easier. That's why they call it branding, it serves the same function as branding cattle.
post #743 of 3302 Old 07-09-2008, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned TLC yet but I put it on that channel for a few minutes for the first time in months last night. OMG!!! The promos for other stupid shows was almost to halfway up the screen.

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

post #744 of 3302 Old 07-09-2008, 04:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spwace View Post

It provides proof of ownership and makes prosecution easier. That's why they call it branding, it serves the same function as branding cattle.

That's irrelevant. Read what I just said.

NBC have a network logo on all their shows online or offline and always have. Promo inclusion doesn't say anything extra. We already know it's an NBC show. That's why NBC only deem it necessary to put the old NBC bug on Hulu broadcasts. Those are promo free.

post #745 of 3302 Old 07-09-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:

Checked out that Hulu site which is NBC Universal's version of Youtube and noticed that indeed the ad bug is not there. Just the peacock logo and NBC is big letters is shown. This is the way a show like America's Got Talent should be shown on the Network TV broadcast. But NBC is just overrun by people with many different agendas.
post #746 of 3302 Old 07-09-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast View Post

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned TLC yet but I put it on that channel for a few minutes for the first time in months last night. OMG!!! The promos for other stupid shows was almost to halfway up the screen.

I really like the bright red bullet marks for each show. They should just cover the entire screen with all that crap and put the programming in the background. TLC is going downhill fast.

post #747 of 3302 Old 07-09-2008, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I bet NBC is prepping a really obnoxious special Olympics countdown bug.
post #748 of 3302 Old 07-09-2008, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by URFloorMatt View Post

I bet NBC is prepping a really obnoxious special Olympics countdown bug.

They really should just shrink the programming down to 1/4 of the screen, and have 3/4 screen Olympic promos running the whole time. With a countdown clock, of course.
post #749 of 3302 Old 07-10-2008, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy W View Post

They really should just shrink the programming down to 1/4 of the screen, and have 3/4 screen Olympic promos running the whole time. With a countdown clock, of course.

I'm sure the execs at NBC thought the TNT wide open coverage thing was brilliant.

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

post #750 of 3302 Old 07-10-2008, 07:17 AM

On Tuesday night I watched the Hell's Kitchen season finale on FOX. Our local affiliate in Indianapolis is WXIN. While this show is not in HD...it is in widescreen SD. There happen to be severe weather in the area that night. WXIN of course had various bugs on the screen related to the weather. They decided to show the program in 4:3 SD instead of 16:9. Then, they had the FOX-59 weather bug, a massive weather map bug, a regular FOX-59 bug, a weather update scroll, and the MLB All-Star game bug. What a joke...

I appreciate them keeping us up to date on the weather, but they could have done without having all of those things displayed for the entire hour. It also appears that every other local affiliate can manage to display weather information while maintaining the 16:9 program underneath.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page