post #991 of 3293 Old 09-29-2008, 04:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy W View Post

The Detroit MNTV affiliate, at least, is 720p..

MNTV, being owned by News Corp like FOX, is 720p.

Quote:

I only watched them in the past because they carried most Pistons games, but they've now lost that contract so I'll no longer be tuning in. I never watched any actual MNTV network programming.

I tried some of the telenovas last year, and on occasion will catch a special, like the recent Olympic gymnastics stars.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 3293 Old 09-29-2008, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by videojanitor View Post

On an unrelated note (but related to this thread), I just finished watching "Dexter" on Showtime and was royally PO'd to see that not only was it polluted with a constant "SHO HD" bug, but it had several snipes pimping the next program. On a premium channel, that is beyond outrageous.

If it wasn't for me getting Showtime and Starz free I'd definitely drop them because of the bugs.

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

My Samsung 55" D8000 LED-3D tv settings.
post #993 of 3293 Old 09-30-2008, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy W View Post

Fox is the only one that uses the Splicer. MNTV distributes their feed just like the rest of the networks do, with a high bitrate feed that gets re-encoded at the station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

Jeremy W pretty much answered your query. Except that MyNetTV doesn't exactly distribute their programming like the other networks. ABC, CBS, CW and NBC have separate SD and HD sat feeds. MNTV has two streams on their single transponder, one for HD and one for SD. Since it is a DVB-S mux, they do not provide as many HD bits as do ABC, CBS and The CW, who only stream one HD channel per mux.

Notice I didn't put NBC in that list. While NBC has separate transponders for their HD and SD feeds, they do not do one HD stream per transponder. On their 8PSK MPEG-2 DVB-S Ku mux, they have 2 HD streams and the stupid weather channel SD stream. They use two muxes. One does East/Central and the other does Mtn/Pacific (IIRC). On their new C-Band MPEG-4 DVB-S2 mux, they have four HD streams. There may be another HD stream, but I'll have to check on that. While they now have more bits because of the DVB-S2 8PSK mux and MPEG-4, they waste it by packing more HD streams into the mux, so they STILL don't meet the 2:1 re-encoding threshold, in some cases. They have a separate SD C-Band mux that also uses MPEG-4, but again, it too is crammed with streams (Telemundo and NBC).

If a MNTV affiliate added a SD sub-channel, then it is quite possible that the PQ could be affected. But, 720p can take more abuse than 1080i. Of course, that depends if MNTV is 720p or 1080i. I really do not know, since we don't have MNTV in HD in my town and the network feed is encrypted.

Do you actually watch MNTV? You must be the only one in the country that does.

Thanks for the info guys!! This came up in the discussion on a local HDTV thread about a weather subchannel currently on the CBS side of a CBS/MNTV(WOIO/WUAB), both owned by Raycom. The PQ on CBS sucks because of this subchannel and the debate was over whether or not PQ would change on WUAB the MNTV station. It was thought that MNTV operated like FOX, where the bandwidth is reduced whether or not a subchannel is used.

So MNTV doesn't have the same "ghost subchannel" as FOX does? The PQ is dependent on the affiliate, since they re-encode it?
post #994 of 3293 Old 09-30-2008, 12:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdawg View Post

So MNTV doesn't have the same "ghost subchannel" as FOX does? The PQ is dependent on the affiliate, since they re-encode it?

Exactly.
post #995 of 3293 Old 10-03-2008, 09:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Since this show is the only CBS program I watch, I can expect to have some samples of the horrible snipes that CBS is using and place them on the website.

What is doubly annoying is that the DVD releases of this show are currently only on DVD, no Blu-ray, which is stupid.

I like Big Bang Theory but the time slot conflicts with other stuff to capture, so I haven't seen it in a while and it too is only on DVD.

Horrible snipes and DVD only. Yep, CBS/Paramount's so-called management have their heads up their collective butts.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #996 of 3293 Old 10-03-2008, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Since this show is the only CBS program I watch, I can expect to have some samples of the horrible snipes that CBS is using and place them on the website.

Give CBS hell tonight!!! They deserve every insult and even that's not enough. I did find the latest NBC post a bit harsh though. I WISH CBS had snipes like NBC. CBS should be ashamed. Those snipes are the black eye on the Tiffany network.
post #997 of 3293 Old 10-03-2008, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

What is doubly annoying is that the DVD releases of this show are currently only on DVD, no Blu-ray, which is stupid.

I know this is somewhat off-topic, but I have to agree with you on that one. Nothing is more annoying than when a TV show that was produced in HD is released on DVD, but not Blu-ray. If it's not HD, my money is staying in my wallet.
post #998 of 3293 Old 10-03-2008, 12:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Give CBS hell tonight!!! They deserve every insult and even that's not enough. I did find the latest NBC post a bit harsh though. I WISH CBS had snipes like NBC. CBS should be ashamed. Those snipes are the black eye on the Tiffany network.

That is my plan, if they indeed still have those A-hole snipes.

As for NBC, it is because they are still doing snipes and they mask out a portion of the program at the bottom of the screen. In the previous screen shots, they pretty much have the same large snipes, but they do not mask out the screen. I suspect that it was added because the snipes might have been hard to see, depending on the snipe and the background at the point the snipe was placed on the screen. Boo-Hoo!

The better idea, instead of masking out the screen, in order to create the contrast so that the snipe can really be annoying, is to not place the snipes on the screen at all. But, you already know how I feel about snipes

I'm actually surprised that ABC still hasn't placed snipes on their screens. They get tons of Brownie points for resisting joining the rest of the sheep jumping of the cliff to their deaths.

"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #999 of 3293 Old 10-03-2008, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If I have to deal with snipes (which I hate), I don't mind NBC using a consistent snipe (i.e. they're all pretty much the same). I find it more annoying when one snipe comes in from the left, then another from the right, and another flies in from the bottom, then someone walks out and pauses the show you're watching, etc...

Of course, no snipe is a good snipe, but if it's an evil we must live with, I prefer NBC's style. Plus, it almost "letterboxes" the screen, which I find easier to ignore.

It also appears that since the olympics, they haven't used the "Coming Next" or "New episode in two days" type bug...unless I haven't been watching the right/wrong shows.
post #1000 of 3293 Old 10-03-2008, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm actually surprised that ABC still hasn't placed snipes on their screens. They get tons of Brownie points for resisting joining the rest of the sheep jumping of the cliff to their deaths.

It's coming. I'd say as we get closer to February. ABC seems to be holding out until the last minute, when the SD feed goes away. Just like their stupid bug. The only thing that bothers me about ABC is the bug. Either make it true 4:3 safe or move it over where it was. It's current location is unnatural and screws with my eyes. I actually didn't mind the 4:3 bug during the Emmys. It was in the correct 4:3 location during that broadcast.
post #1001 of 3293 Old 10-03-2008, 01:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

It's coming. I'd say as we get closer to February.

I'm going to query someone to see if he has heard anything about ABC snipes.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #1002 of 3293 Old 10-03-2008, 01:34 PM

Liked: 10
I can't go thru 1000 posts so does anyone have the email address or phone number for the clowns at foxnews? I just tried to watch FoxNewsHD and I lasted 5 minutes. All that crap on the right side of the screen just got me angry. Who can watch like that?
post #1003 of 3293 Old 10-03-2008, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65T500 View Post

I can't go thru 1000 posts so does anyone have the email address or phone number for the clowns at foxnews?

I don't know about clowns, but FoxNews.com has a "Contact Us" link at the bottom of their home page.
post #1004 of 3293 Old 10-03-2008, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post

I don't know about clowns, but FoxNews.com has a "Contact Us" link at the bottom of their home page.

Those are useless. I want the email address or # of an executive so I can annoy them EVERY DAY.
post #1005 of 3293 Old 10-03-2008, 06:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Give CBS hell tonight!!!

Done! The new images are up. The Swirl snipes are the same, but they added a real annoying Ex-List animated snipe.

Damn, I wished those idiots would sue me so that we could really make them look like sh!t in court and on their own news programs (if they were willing to cover it).

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #1006 of 3293 Old 10-03-2008, 06:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by videojanitor View Post

If it's not HD, my money is staying in my wallet.

Yep. No Blu-ray HD release, no spend $$$.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #1007 of 3293 Old 10-03-2008, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Done! The new images are up. The Swirl snipes are the same, but they added a real annoying Ex-List animated snipe.

Damn, I wished those idiots would sue me so that we could really make them look like sh!t in court and on their own news programs (if they were willing to cover it).

At 9:00 I immediately flipped the channel as soon as the (S)ex List came on. I never planned on watching it anyway, but once that tramp's picture came on screen not once but twice during GW at 8, my decision was made. Here's to watching the (S)ex List crash and burn, like any other CBS Friday 9pm new show.

Why the HELL did CBS cancel Moonlight for this crap!!!
post #1008 of 3293 Old 10-03-2008, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I love the new post!!! From the Title: "WHAT THE **** IS WRONG WITH CBS?" to the descriptions. One question though, I hate to sound like an ass but who is this "friend who is more tolerant of snipes"? A subliminal reference to one of my comments?
post #1009 of 3293 Old 10-04-2008, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I really wish you'd get some more sci-fi snipes. Have you not seen the ones for Lost and worse, the one for Destination Truth, which literally takes up over half the screen?

I'd take pictures, but I can't capture them digitally.
post #1010 of 3293 Old 10-04-2008, 08:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I love the new post!!! From the Title: "WHAT THE **** IS WRONG WITH CBS?" to the descriptions. One question though, I hate to sound like an ass but who is this "friend who is more tolerant of snipes"? A subliminal reference to one of my comments?

Thanks.

Nope, a local friend. We meet up Friday nights for Fish Fry. We were talking about the snipes and when I got around to the CBS snipes, that is when he said that even those annoy him.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #1011 of 3293 Old 10-04-2008, 08:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

I really wish you'd get some more sci-fi snipes.

I don't have access to Sci-Fi Channel anymore. They encrypted

Because of all the damn snipes, I won't buy a pizza-pan system for only the two HDNet channels. They've lost my money because of all that crap.

I'll gladly accept full resolution PNG direct capture images to place on my site.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #1012 of 3293 Old 10-05-2008, 02:10 PM

Nobody's mentioned it yet, but last night Saturday Night Live used the old 16:9 bug. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I checked the analog broadcast and it was letterboxed. But it appears that E* is centre-cutting my locals from HD now as it was 4:3 SD and bugless over satellite. Watching on WSAZ.

Am I really the only one who noticed this little blessing? What are the chances we'll see more comebacks of the 16:9 bug? NBC has been making some progress this season (no ad bugs, intermittent bug on Leno, etc.) hopefully this wasn't just a fluke.
post #1013 of 3293 Old 10-05-2008, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anifan View Post

Nobody's mentioned it yet, but last night Saturday Night Live used the old 16:9 bug. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I checked the analog broadcast and it was letterboxed. But it appears that E* is centre-cutting my locals from HD now as it was 4:3 SD and bugless over satellite. Watching on WSAZ.

Am I really the only one who noticed this little blessing? What are the chances we'll see more comebacks of the 16:9 bug? NBC has been making some progress this season (no ad bugs, intermittent bug on Leno, etc.) hopefully this wasn't just a fluke.

I was watching in SDTV last night. Can't comment on the HD feed, as I didn't see it on the HD channel. But the SD channel looked like s**t. The bug was way to high on the screen. NBC's letterbox presentations used to look OK since the bug was close to the bottom of the frame.

I wish WKYC Cleveland and TWC would start center cutting, I want a bug-free SNL too!!!

I think it was a mistake. The first few episodes had different opening credits and the bug was in the correct location. With the transition a few months away, I doubt NBC would move their bug to where 4:3 viewers cannot see it.

I actually liked the presentation of SNL this season, before last night.
post #1014 of 3293 Old 10-06-2008, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Over the weekend, TNT had the first "self-congratulatory" bug during the 8,888th showing of Titantic (a filler movie to cut away to show beginings of some MLB divisional series games when the previous game runs long on TBS... the home of FRANK TV).

MORE MOVIE
LESS COMMERCIALS
post #1015 of 3293 Old 10-06-2008, 01:09 PM

From another thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...95922&page=121

As some of you know, I recently wrote NBC and got them on the phone about the new SciFi HD channel, whose SciFi logo was in bright white. It was blazing away at the lower right corner every second the channel was up there. It made it extremely unsafe to view Battlestar Galactica, esp. since BSG is shot so darkly as it is.

NBC got it. Before the next week's episode, that logo - screen ticker, station emblem, whatever - had been turned down to half intensity, which is the ONLY way a fixed image will not cause uneven phosphor aging, otherwise known as screenburn.

I then turned my attention to Dish Network. If anybody out there uses Dish, you know that whenever you put up the Guide to see what's on, the stylized "Dish" logo appears in the upper left corner, in the brightest white possible.

On my recent trip to MN and Chicago, I witnessed some of the worst screenburn I have ever seen on one of my owner's sets, and that "Dish" logo up in that corner was at its heart. There were other parts of his CRT faces that were screenburned as well, but whenever the screen went to a fade to white, that "Dish" logo was the worst part of the screen. It was awful. I pointed it out to him, and immediately realized that I have been subjecting my new 73" Mit to the same treatment! Not nearly as much as was evidenced there, but I was using that Guide all the time, with no thought as to the consequences!

As soon as I got home I looked for the damage like I had seen there, and to my relief, none has occurred yet. But I now lower my contrast to 0 and my brightness to half of normal, EVERY time I go into that Guide mode, or the DVR mode, or any other mode in those graphics they are using, that are fixed images.

Dish is running their fully fixed image graphics at full tilt boogie on their light level at all times, most in bright white and others with different colors as well, also at full tilt boogie. Different colors at full tilt while fixed can also ruin CRTs - not just the one color involved, but also the 2 colors that have to go silent - black - to allow the one color to show as a color rather than as white. A space on the face of a CRT going full BLACK for extended periods is just as bad as going full tilt WHITE for extended periods. Each scenario will cause UNEVEN PHOSPHOR AGING. The definition of screenburn. Once unevenly aged, those phosphors will show their damage from then on with EVERY fade to white you'll ever see again, on EVERY soccer game you will ever watch again. On EVERY white ice figure skating event and EVERY white snow skiing event you will watch in the upcoming Olympics.

I don't think I will be able to prevail on this crusade alone. I called them more than a month ago, and nothing has been done. I just called again, and the person I talked to said he would get the info to a different set of ears, in an attempt to get something done.

You know what will get something done? YOU GUYS calling them! EVERYONE reading this - if you value your CRT or plasma set and are a Dish subscriber, go to your phone, call them up, ask for Tech Assist and get a supervisor on there, and say you're mad as hell and you're not going to take it anymore!

Well, find your own words, of course...

Bottom line, they probably won't do anything if only ONE person has complained. The NBC guy wasn't listening until I asked what kind of a set he had. Plasma. So I said, "Then you're next." You could hear a pin drop. I got immediate attention after that, including the direct number of someone in their legal dept.

PLEASE. Call them. 800-333-3474. Tell them you have a phosphor based set - plasmas are phosphor based too and HIGHLY susceptible to screenburn - and that they are causing it damage. Refer to me, if you wish, I did start the ball rolling, but please recognize how these things work. They may not listen to just one person. If they start hearing from a new set of people every day, who are taking the names of whom they are talking to on that call - and their Dish badge/operator/ID numbers and extensions if possible, for 100% trackability later - THEN we have a fighting chance to get them to TURN DOWN THEIR GRAPHICS! Before one more set gets damaged beyond repair. Look in your upper left hand corner, with a white screen up there. See if your set's been damaged permanently yet, by that stylized Dish logo.

Thanks, hope you owners care for your CRT sets as much as I do. Once screenburn has happened, forget it. Nobody springs for regunning a CRT set these days. And DEFINITELY nobody pays to have a plasma panel replaced! Such units are totalled, once screenburn has gotten noticeable.

If you value your set, PLEASE hop on the phone right now. They are open 24/7.

Mr Bob
510-278-4247
(spambot aversive, please reconsititute) bob at imageperfection dot com, bdclick at hotmail dot com

www.imageperfection.com
post #1016 of 3293 Old 10-07-2008, 05:22 AM

Liked: 14
If you value your set, you won't subscribe to or watch channels that do this in the first place!
post #1017 of 3293 Old 10-09-2008, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

At 9:00 I immediately flipped the channel as soon as the (S)ex List came on. I never planned on watching it anyway, but once that tramp's picture came on screen not once but twice during GW at 8, my decision was made. Here's to watching the (S)ex List crash and burn, like any other CBS Friday 9pm new show.

Same here. Saw the huge snipe for CSI Miami this past week and it was about 40% up on the screen.

Because of it I have deleted 2 season passes from CBS, Cold Case and Without A Trace. Now all I have left are CSI's, and getting real close to deleting Miami.

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

My Samsung 55" D8000 LED-3D tv settings.
post #1018 of 3293 Old 10-09-2008, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast View Post

Same here. Saw the huge snipe for CSI Miami this past week and it was about 40% up on the screen.

Because of it I have deleted 2 season passes from CBS, Cold Case and Without A Trace. Now all I have left are CSI's, and getting real close to deleting Miami.

I could never stop watching the Monday sitcoms or CSI:NY or Ghost Whisperer. Although I haven't watched CSI Miami at all this year since Boston Legal is on ABC on Mondays now. Not worth wasting recording space on a show assassinated with snipes, that will be rebroadcast soon enough, once again assassinated with snipes.
post #1019 of 3293 Old 10-10-2008, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone go past CMT lately? I know that its mostly reality programming like its sister stations MTV & VH1, but there's currently huge static text over the CMT bug promoting Hulk Hogan's Celebrity Wrestling which doesn't debut until 10/18. Completely annoying. I wish that this practice of screen clutter would cease.
post #1020 of 3293 Old 10-10-2008, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvjunkie247 View Post

Anyone go past CMT lately? I know that its mostly reality programming like its sister stations MTV & VH1, but there's currently huge static text over the CMT bug promoting Hulk Hogan's Celebrity Wrestling which doesn't debut until 10/18. Completely annoying. I wish that this practice of screen clutter would cease.

Exactly, i do not watch any show that is promoted that way. I know i am in the minority, but it works for me.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page