Enough with all the clutter (graphics) on my HD screen! - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #181 of 3306 Old 01-26-2008, 10:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know this is sort of off-topic but somebody removed the new thread I created about this.

NBC's 1 vs 100 completely skipped the ending of Jessica Greene's game from last week and started with a special contestant with a high IQ. After he leaves a different woman comes on and they now left her game in progress. So they have 2 games in progress with no mention of whether the 1st game left in progress will have the ending shown.

The same thing happened a few months ago on the Singing Bee. One person was champion, but then there was a different returning champion with no airing of the episode where the champion switched. If they do bring this show back again, no one will remember who was champion the last time this show aired.

Can anyone knock some common sense into NBC and let them know how stupid they are looking right now? The annoying ad bugs and now unfinished games. Why would anyone want to watch garbage like this? No wonder they are consistently 3rd or 4th in ratings out of the big 4 networks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 3306 Old 01-27-2008, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Only 4 days to go, as the annoying promo bug, which has not polluted the HD feed yet, keeps telling me as I am trying to watch Extreme Makeover Home Edition. On top of that, we get a endless shills during commercial breaks, the last one was two minutes (and none in HD).
post #183 of 3306 Old 01-27-2008, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I checked out the film on CBS tonight. NO LOGO BUG on HD or SD!! I saw the beginning after Shark and all they had was the HD|5.1 bug and it went away. It looks like CBS gets it.
post #184 of 3306 Old 01-29-2008, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdawg View Post

I checked out the film on CBS tonight. NO LOGO BUG on HD or SD!! I saw the beginning after Shark and all they had was the HD|5.1 bug and it went away. It looks like CBS gets it.

There was no logo bug during the movie because Hallmark buys the ads for almost the entire movie. Might be nice if other companies would do the same for shows on NBC, cw, and ABC. Then they could drop the ad logos for those 3 networks.

It's kind of strange that Hallmark has their movies on CBS in widescreen 5.1 but their DVD copies for sale at the Hallmark stores appear to be only full screen.

NBC's Guinness Top 100 seemed like a joke to me. There was no number one in the countdown. Plus there was a couple of plugs during the special for Biggest Loser and American Gladiators by a couple of the stars. That was in addition to that tired NBC logo with the ad above it. Enough with the ads already, NBC!!!

-YakHDTV06
post #185 of 3306 Old 01-29-2008, 12:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakHDTV06 View Post

There was no logo bug during the movie because Hallmark buys the ads for almost the entire movie.

There is a little more to it than that. Just because you buy up all of the ad time doesn't stop the network from placing their bug on the screen. When Ford bought up the time for an episode of American Dreams a few years ago, that didn't stop the NBC bug from appearing on the screen.

What stops the crap from appearing on the screen is Hallmark specifically placing into their contract for the ad buy that there will be no bugs. Also notice that the closing credits were clean. Another stipulation from Hallmark.

Ford didn't care enough to force clean closing credits and no bugs. Hallmark cares, it is part on their slogan.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #186 of 3306 Old 01-29-2008, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Also notice that the closing credits were clean. Another stipulation from Hallmark.

Now if they would do that on their own channel it would be nice (overlaying the last segment of M*A*S*H for example).
post #187 of 3306 Old 02-02-2008, 10:43 PM

1 vs 100 last week ends with contestant just before she is going to answer whether to take the money or take on the mob again. Host Bob Saget tells us the game will continue the next episode.

1 vs 100 this week starts with a preview of this week's episode right after the same contestant mentioned above was announced as winning the money that she had not yet decided to take. And that was the end of that contestant's appearance on the show.

This is 2 out of the last 3 episodes that ended with a game either unfinished or with the ending left edited out.

Someone please fire NBC or 1 vs 100 editors. There are smaller networks who can edit shows like this much better than these amateurs can.

-YakHDTV06
post #188 of 3306 Old 02-03-2008, 08:26 AM

Can you also make the questions better and stop using monkeys and sillyness.
post #189 of 3306 Old 02-03-2008, 08:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakHDTV06 View Post

1 vs 100 last week ends with contestant just before she is going to answer whether to take the money or take on the mob again. Host Bob Saget tells us the game will continue the next episode.

1 vs 100 this week starts with a preview of this week's episode right after the same contestant mentioned above was announced as winning the money that she had not yet decided to take. And that was the end of that contestant's appearance on the show.

This is 2 out of the last 3 episodes that ended with a game either unfinished or with the ending left edited out.

Someone please fire NBC or 1 vs 100 editors. There are smaller networks who can edit shows like this much better than these amateurs can.

-YakHDTV06

Keep to HD discusion. 1 vs 100 is not HD.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #190 of 3306 Old 02-04-2008, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

The onscreen bugs/ads were out of control tonight. I tuned into the last hour of Deal or no Deal and the usual "ad bug" was up with an even larger "Lipstick Jungle-3 days" text above it. Then, after each commercial a large "LJ" popup appeared at the bottom center of the screen. Plus, several times an ad for "My dad is better than your dad" appeared during the middle of the show. This was just an SD show. I can't wait to see what's going to happen on and HD show like "Law & Order" on Wed.
post #191 of 3306 Old 02-04-2008, 09:05 PM

I'm sure it will be a no deal. NBC sucks peacocks

TNT: WE KNOW INTERRUPTIONS
TBS: TURNER BROADCASTING SUCKS
NBC: National Boredcasting Company
post #192 of 3306 Old 02-04-2008, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

^lol!
post #193 of 3306 Old 02-05-2008, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Keep to HD discusion. 1 vs 100 is not HD.

Sorry that I didn't make myself clear enough but the 1 vs 100 problems is just another example why NBC Universal doesn't give a care to BOTH HD and non-HD viewers.

So since you decided to mention that 1 vs 100 is not HD we should discuss why it isn't.

NBC is waiting to build a new set. No wait that is wrong they just built a new set this season.

NBC doesn't do HD for reality type shows. That is wrong too isn't it since Gladiators is HD.

1 vs 100 is not ratings worthy for HD. Again that is not right because Deal or No Deal gets ratings and it isn't HD either.

I think you can see from the example above how NBC has lost touch with viewers and only cares about their financial statements.

Now back to the topic directly. I was actually kind of happy to see scrolls on Deal Or No Deal tonight after each commercial break just because NBC couldn't advertise Lipstick Jungle for another 15 seconds.

You can advertise a show 10 times or a 1000 times, but a network like NBC is usually going to get the same result. A high ad frequency for an upcoming new show like Lipstick Jungle is not effective in most cases.

Maybe a strike settlement would end the annoying ad bugs during the shows but somehow I doubt NBC has the intention of dropping them after the strike is settled. I would rather see the writers' strike go on if it means fewer of these ads down the road such as that annoying ad bug. That is how important this issue is to me.

-YakHDTV06
post #194 of 3306 Old 02-05-2008, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Has it been that long ? Someone claims these current Info/Logo Blobs actually started more than ten years ago:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...40#post5951440

Anybody recall these back in 1998 or before ?

I recall Animations, Size/Color/Transparency changes, scrolling words and the like but nothing like these current up to seven line things blocking my screen.

There he goes again... Good Ol' R. Reagan's favorite Troll line !
post #195 of 3306 Old 02-06-2008, 12:30 AM
AVS Special Member

This time in the news division with the animated NBC News/Decision 2008 bug during Super Tuesday coverage. Heck of a job, NBC
post #196 of 3306 Old 02-06-2008, 12:35 AM

Just when you think NBC can't sink much lower they somehow manage to do it. Case in point tonight was the Super Tuesday coverage with that animated bug that kept switching between NBC.COM and DECISION 08. It was changing approximately every 10 or 15 seconds throughout the whole show. That is way way too often. I kept finding myself distracted by it. ABC also had a similar type animated bug which was a little less distracting about every 20 seconds or so.

But NBC did something far worse than the above tonight. During the west coast airing of Biggest Loser Couples, they broke in right in the middle of the show to their campaign headquarters just to announce Clinton and McCain as winners of the California Primaries. Then they go to a commercial break. And like 1 vs 100, they join the show after the commercial break is over cutting out a part of the show.

Also can't figure out how BL Couples could start a few minutes late after an election update and still get over on time. NBC obviously didn't edit a shorter version ahead of time for Super Tuesday as they wouldn't have had to cut out of the middle of the show if they had.

Once again proof NBC is out of touch with viewers and in touch with their egos.

-YakHDTV06
post #197 of 3306 Old 02-07-2008, 05:00 AM
Advanced Member

As bad as the animated Today Show logo and the todayshow.com ticker underneath it.
post #198 of 3306 Old 02-07-2008, 06:20 PM

I am an old fart who remembers when there was NO screen clutter whatsoever on tv.
Then (I think it was some cable channel or Fox that first did it), came the onset of channel logos. Feeling that this was the start of a very slippery slope, I complained to the local networks, and to some of the cable channels too. As far as I know, HBO may be the only channel that still does not use any bugs, at least on their primary channel. At the time when channel logos first started to appear, the answer I got when I complained was that these logos were important for two reasons: to identify the program source so that the footage could not be used elsewhere, and as an aid (?!) to the viewer so that they would know what channel they were watching. I was told that this had nothing to do with advertising anything. Right. That was the beginning of the end of being able to watch TV in any kind of truly immersive way without the ever-increasing intrusion of ads in various forms during the actual program content itself. This practice, in addition to the annoyance factor, largely devalues and disrespects the program content itself. While some may argue that much of tv has little value anyway, some of it is excellent. I would have hoped that the content providers, the producers, writers, actors, production houses etc. would join together to require the airing of their hard work be done in a respectful way - but either they don't care (unlikely) or have no clout. I agree with those who have encouraged the writing of letters, emails, phone calls to the various offenders, and it would be great to get folks like the media critics to jump all over this issue. I am astounded by what I see now (tho I shouldn't be I guess), and I can't imagine how far this trend will go, but I won't be watching much if this keeps up, and maybe that's a good thing. There are probably people on staff now just to create and populate the screen with all that crap. But maybe the silver lining will be to wean us (I'll speak for myself here) the addiction to tv altogether. This from a very early HD adopter and self-professed tv addict (of course I only watch 'good' shows, right?).

Set
post #199 of 3306 Old 02-07-2008, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

I remember when bugs first appeared, they only popped up for 5-10 seconds at a time, usually about halfway between each commercial break. They gradually got more and more frequent until they became constant.

The most annoying ad bug I have ever seen was the NBC one where the 2 computer generated women walk across the bottom of the screen and as they walk across the center, "Biggest Loser" at such and such day and time appears. AAAAGGGGHHHH!!!!

How can we say "the digital transition is complete" when thousands of low power stations are still broadcasting in analog?
LOW POWER ANALOG NEEDS TO DIE NOW!!!
post #200 of 3306 Old 02-07-2008, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

NBC wasted no time. After the premiere of "LJ", NBC is now promoting"My Dad is better than your dad".

MY DAD IS BETTER
THAN YOUR DAD
FEB 18
post #201 of 3306 Old 02-09-2008, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdawg View Post

NBC wasted no time. After the premiere of "LJ", NBC is now promoting"My Dad is better than your dad".

MY DAD IS BETTER
THAN YOUR DAD
FEB 18

Just more evidence NBC has no plans to drop the ad bugs even if the strike ends.

You would at least think NBC would have the decency to remove or move the ad bug to a different spot during 1 vs 100 where the ad bug often overlaps the questions on the screen.

But this is the unnew and unimproved NBC we're talking about.

-YakHDTV06
post #202 of 3306 Old 02-09-2008, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

I lose, I bet the next promo bug was going to be
Knight Rider
Original Movie Event
Feb 17th

Another new low in reality shows coming soon! MDIBTYD!
NBC: National Broadcrap Company
post #203 of 3306 Old 02-09-2008, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
All the more reason to love TV shows on optical media.

- Rutgar

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #204 of 3306 Old 02-09-2008, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgar View Post

All the more reason to love TV shows on optical media.

It's only a matter of time...
post #205 of 3306 Old 02-09-2008, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy W View Post

Yep. I think that's the main reason all HD media players will have Internet connectivity eventually.
post #206 of 3306 Old 02-09-2008, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knicks_Fan View Post

I lose, I bet the next promo bug was going to be
Knight Rider
Original Movie Event
Feb 17th

Another new low in reality shows coming soon! MDIBTYD!
NBC: National Broadcrap Company

This is what they mean to say

Watch Us
We are Desperate
Everyday, All the Time

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

post #207 of 3306 Old 02-10-2008, 12:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy W View Post

And that's just what they're hoping you do.
post #208 of 3306 Old 02-10-2008, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Looks like ABC is trying to one-up NBC for most obnoxious pop-up ad.

I'm sure all those elementary schools kids that are trying to watch Willie Wonka are a really big part of GMA's & This Weak's (misspelling intended) vote coverage demographic.
post #209 of 3306 Old 02-10-2008, 11:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

Looks like ABC is trying to one-up NBC for most obnoxious pop-up ad.

That is just plain tacky (polite mode on).

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video

post #210 of 3306 Old 02-10-2008, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Is that ad supposed to make me want to sign up for Verizon Wireless?
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page