Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 3293 Old 02-10-2008, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dssset View Post

I am astounded by what I see now (tho I shouldn't be I guess), and I can't imagine how far this trend will go

I remember watching the movie Minority Report years ago and thinking to myself . . . "This vision of the future, with people walking down the street while automated advertising tech scans&recognizes them, calling out to them by name trying to sell them stuff, referencing recent purchases they've made etc . . . uh oh . . . that's probably very close to how things will end up being in real life" Of course if/when that does happen, it will be gradual. Slowly but surely we've all seen the embedded ads getting more and more annoying to the point where now many of them are overriding the actual show we're trying to watch. Now I can't watch most shows on TV that have subtitles without one of those STOOPID bugs covering part of the text. Heroes and Wind Talkers comes to mind, the list gets longer by the minute. It's funny how people tolerate this visual crap, some even accusing those of us who think it's so bad there are grounds for some kind of organized opposition of whining, or just looking for reasons to complain. Imagine how people would react if they tuned to a radio station or one of those digital audio stations most cable/satellite carriers offer, and they heard ads put right over whatever they were listening to? Either we'll wake up one day and be in a world similar to minority report where all kinds of ads are targeting us relentlessly from all directions, or eventually people will get too sick and tired of it and demand it to stop. Should be an interesting next couple of decades . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 3293 Old 02-13-2008, 12:02 AM

I thought it was ironic that NBC while airing the top 100 outrageous moments showed clips of their own shows like Leno and Will and Grace without the original nbc bugs that aired back then. I also thought it seemed ironic that a few clips even had the original channel bug blurred out. I think it is safe to say NBC is playing the bug card both ways as long as they are the benefactor not the viewers or advertisers.

-YakHDTV06
post #213 of 3293 Old 02-13-2008, 12:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakHDTV06 View Post

I thought it was ironic that NBC while airing the top 100 outrageous moments showed clips of their own shows like Leno and Will and Grace without the original nbc bugs that aired back then. I also thought it seemed ironic that a few clips even had the original channel bug blurred out. I think it is safe to say NBC is playing the bug card both ways as long as they are the benefactor not the viewers or advertisers.

-YakHDTV06

Wait, they actually blurred THEIR own bug???

Most likely there was a bug at the time, they just showed the original version rather than one taped off TV.
post #214 of 3293 Old 02-13-2008, 12:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdawg View Post

Most likely there was a bug at the time, they just showed the original version rather than one taped off TV.

That's what he said.
post #215 of 3293 Old 02-13-2008, 11:58 AM

Quote:

Wait, they actually blurred THEIR own bug???

No, they only blurred out a few bugs from the clips shown from other networks or foreign channels. They wouldn't ever blur out their own peacock bug, though I wish they would blur out or better yet completely eliminate the ad part above it but that is just wishful thinking.

-YakHDTV06
post #216 of 3293 Old 02-13-2008, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

KNIGHT
RIDER
Sunday 9/8c
post #217 of 3293 Old 02-13-2008, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

You think thats bad? You should see what BBC America are doing for promoting new season of Top Gear! Big writing and a LARGE cog. Plus, they feel the need to have a permanent banner telling you what program you're currently watching. Yes, I know its not HD (yet) but its some of the worst clutter I've seen.
post #218 of 3293 Old 02-13-2008, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I see that BBC America letterboxes. With DTV coming in America and more content being showed in 16:9, I wonder if other networks will catch on that one as well? I'm surpised NBC doesn't sell the "letterbox area" for advertising.
post #219 of 3293 Old 02-13-2008, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm surpised NBC doesn't sell the "letterbox area" for advertising.

They're working on the technology to do it.
post #220 of 3293 Old 02-14-2008, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

KNIGHT
RIDER
Sunday 9/8c

Do they have the KITT car driving across the screen and smoke behind it and in its trail leave this message?

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

My Samsung 55" D8000 LED-3D tv settings.
post #221 of 3293 Old 02-15-2008, 10:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I know exactly where CBS can stick those frakin' love notes!!!

I need the next two repeats for my collection as there were computer problems the first time they aired and I wasn't home

In any even I caught a couple at the end of tonight's repeat.

As usual, the idiots produce these huge things for the NTSC analog world and plaster them on the higher rez digital video. They are obnoxious and block the programming.

Sigh

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #222 of 3293 Old 02-15-2008, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member

mrvideo, I have an idea for a new page for your site. Since it is sweeps month, many local affiliates are going overboard with the popup ads during syndicated programming. The stations with the proper equipment are even doing on HD. My local ABC has been polluting Jeopardy and Wheel more than usual. I've uploaded some pictures to FLICKR that you may use. Also, I have a shot of 2/15's "1 vs. 100" where the NBC ad-bug is covering the graphics of the show. I don't know how they expect me to read the question through the ad crap. Check them out sometime.

http://flickr.com/photos/23908078@N08/
post #223 of 3293 Old 02-16-2008, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

mrvideo, I have an idea for a new page for your site. Since it is sweeps month, many local affiliates are going overboard with the popup ads during syndicated programming. The stations with the proper equipment are even doing on HD. My local ABC has been polluting Jeopardy and Wheel more than usual. I've uploaded some pictures to FLICKR that you may use. Also, I have a shot of 2/15's "1 vs. 100" where the NBC ad-bug is covering the graphics of the show. I don't know how they expect me to read the question through the ad crap. Check them out sometime.

http://flickr.com/photos/23908078@N08/

Wow those are bad. Luckily for Memphis our stations, except WHBQ, are stuck in the 1950's and don't have this type of technology. We still have to call to turn on HD feeds every now and then.

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

post #224 of 3293 Old 02-17-2008, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

During Friday's Las Vegas finale, the Knight Rider car appeared several times as part of a in-show promo, once with a Ford logo, in addition to the usual promo bug crap.

BBC America is the worst now, stopped watching that polluted channel awhile back. Not waiting for any HD version there.
post #225 of 3293 Old 02-17-2008, 04:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knicks_Fan View Post

During Friday's Las Vegas finale, the Knight Rider car appeared several times as part of a in-show promo, once with a Ford logo, in addition to the usual promo bug crap.

BBC America is the worst now, stopped watching that polluted channel awhile back. Not waiting for any HD version there.

The only show I currently watch that they have is Torchwood. Since HDNet airs it in HD, I wait for the episodes to appear there instead.

It would be cool if HDNet picked up Robin Hood when it comes back...
post #226 of 3293 Old 02-17-2008, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

ABC currently has an extremely large advertisement for the Oscars to the left of its logo. Its worse than anything I've seen on NBC.
post #227 of 3293 Old 02-17-2008, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldorfSalad View Post

ABC currently has an extremely large advertisement for the Oscars to the left of its logo. Its worse than anything I've seen on NBC.

In HD? If so, I believe that would be the first time ABC did this in HD.
post #228 of 3293 Old 02-18-2008, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy W View Post

In HD? If so, I believe that would be the first time ABC did this in HD.

Oops! It was that house renovation (with Ty) show in SD.
post #229 of 3293 Old 02-18-2008, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Up next, an ad for some stupid show called "Quarterlife". Another NBC show to NOT watch.

QUARTERLIFE
Tues Feb 26
post #230 of 3293 Old 02-19-2008, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm watching AFV and it's there. Man that is big and annoying. It's so big I can even see the trademark R by Oscars. Terrible.

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

post #231 of 3293 Old 02-20-2008, 12:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast View Post

I'm watching AFV and it's there. Man that is big and annoying. It's so big I can even see the trademark R by Oscars. Terrible.

Yeah, I saw that. That effectively did it for me. ABC is now officially off of my viewing list for primetime - period.
post #232 of 3293 Old 02-26-2008, 11:52 AM

Good job to CBS for making "The Price is Right" HD in primetime specials for now. They just proved once again my point that NBC doesn't care. The way NBC botched "1 vs 100" this season is totally inexcusable between the bad editing, episode mixup, the rather short season, and the ads for just about every NBC show that we had to suffer while watching "1 vs 100" such as its lousy replacement show "Amnesia". The only show they didn't advertise during "1 vs 100" was "1 vs 100". "1 vs 100" is just becoming a vessel for NBC to launch what they hope will be the next big reality show sadly. Like last year it was Identity and this year it is Amnesia.

If there a way to get "1 vs 100" on CBS or any other major broadcast network as long as it is not NBC so we can see this show without the ad bugs and maybe see it in HD sooner let me know. "1 vs 100" deserves better treatment than NBC's lousy treatment of the show.
post #233 of 3293 Old 02-26-2008, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Tonight's NBC show to boycott: "Quarterlife".

Didn't plan on watching it anyway.
post #234 of 3293 Old 02-26-2008, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

you ever seen the movie "Idocracy" "owe my balls!" show was worse than that

this is why I am considered a "Pirate"

because I get the copy of my favorite TV show without those stupid lower 3rd's and network logo's

if you download stuff it mostly only has 1 logo on it since this is done differently in different cities and country's they try to get the best one with less crap in the screen

I want the retro skin back please
post #235 of 3293 Old 02-27-2008, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Have you seen the one for OPRAH's BIG GIVE It premeries Sunday at 9pm (thankfully, SD only) - it is worse than the Oscar one.
post #236 of 3293 Old 02-27-2008, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knicks_Fan View Post

Have you seen the one for OPRAH's BIG GIVE It premeries Sunday at 9pm (thankfully, SD only) - it is worse than the Oscar one.

Yeah I hate that one, I bet it's gonna clutter all primetime shows this week.

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #237 of 3293 Old 02-27-2008, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone notice the pop-up Coca-Cola Ad during American Idol last night? Apparently it isn't enough to have three large red Cocal-Cola beakers prominently displayed throughout the show.
post #238 of 3293 Old 02-28-2008, 03:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:

Anyone notice the pop-up Coca-Cola Ad during American Idol last night? Apparently it isn't enough to have three large red Cocal-Cola beakers prominently displayed throughout the show.

While that is still clutter, it's part of the actual show. That sort of practice has been with us since the earliest days of commercial radio broadcasting. Adding clutter over finished shows is a fairly new phenomenon. NBC has already used it to promote Universal features and it wouldn't surprise me to see ads begin to appear over programming.

These are desperate measures by an increasingly competitive industry. I don't think we've seen the worst of it yet. As long as they see no downside to the clutter they will continue to push the envelope. Maybe the shows with the most clout will demand that they be a clutter free zone. I don't recall seeing any on screen promotions during Idol, but I could be mistaken.
post #239 of 3293 Old 02-28-2008, 04:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

And for those of us watching in the UK we jsut three prominent fuzzy blobs instead! Increasingly, when we get US shows in the UK, loads of stuff is blobbed or fuzzed to make it compliant with our broadcast law re: sponsorship, product placement etc.

Product placement is still tightly controlled in the UK (though the rules are likely to be relaxed) and in the past shows have been fined £500,000 (Roughly US$1m at the current exchange rate) for it... (The show in question was a petcare strand sponsored by a pet food manufacturer where almost all the products used in the strand were products from that manufacturer. In the UK no product should be unduly placed - so a range of products from different manufacturers should have been used AIUI...)
post #240 of 3293 Old 02-28-2008, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVOD View Post

These are desperate measures by an increasingly competitive industry. I don't think we've seen the worst of it yet.

What he said. Right now "clutter" is mostly relegated to the bugs and popups for the network's shows.

Only a matter of time before "CATCH LIPSTICK JUNGLE! COMING UP NEXT!" is replaced with "DRINK GATORADE!" followed by "CHECK OUT THE NEW CHEVY AT YOUR CHEVY DEALER!" followed by "CHEAP V1@GRAA DEALS AT WWW.LOADMEUPWITHSPYWARE.COM!"

What I mean is, that's advertising space....right now they are just "easing" us into this so by the time it happens we're all used to it.

I think the most annoying one I've seen lately was the Daytona 500 one.....this big car with the road extending nearly to the middle of the screen.....ugh.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page