Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #2731 of 3308 Old 01-31-2012, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As long as you aren't interested in discussing the show here or on other forums, and don't care if it gets spoiled by people on Twitter, Facebook, or random blogs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2732 of 3308 Old 02-01-2012, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
We've had Wargames on DVD for the last 9 years. Its safe from AMC's screen clutter and butchering. AMC is horrible when it comes to this.

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource
post #2733 of 3308 Old 02-01-2012, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I'm kinda bummed, KNSD about 6-8 months ago decided to put the NBC Peacock logo on "Wheel of Fortune" & "Jeopardy!" What's really annoying is that logo is slightly above where the logo would be for NBC primetime programming.

And the FOUL!
post #2734 of 3308 Old 02-02-2012, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

NBC is back with the promo bugs on screen for "Smash"
post #2735 of 3308 Old 02-02-2012, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
In addition to the annoying ticker NHL Network keeps on the screen during live games there is now a giant annoying NHL LIVE bug on the top right.
post #2736 of 3308 Old 02-03-2012, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemannyr View Post

In addition to the annoying ticker NHL Network keeps on the screen during live games there is now a giant annoying NHL LIVE bug on the top right.

I noticed that too. There was one point the letters "NHL" appeared six times on the screen between logos and ticker line crap.
post #2737 of 3308 Old 02-04-2012, 10:22 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knicks_Fan View Post

NBC is back with the promo bugs on screen for "Smash"

Sad but true. The last time NBC did this crap I quit watching their shows until they stopped it. Missed the better part of the last season of ER after watching the entire run up to that point. Looks like it's the end of GRIMM for me now as well. MOFO's...

ron
post #2738 of 3308 Old 02-04-2012, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Anyone here from the NYC area and prehistoric enough to remember Sandy Becker snapping the Maggio carrot during the "station identification break"?
post #2739 of 3308 Old 02-08-2012, 04:40 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Master View Post

We've had Wargames on DVD for the last 9 years. Its safe from AMC's screen clutter and butchering. AMC is horrible when it comes to this.

There is one thing I cannot understand, how do people put up with this nonsense? Where is the outcry? Oh well, it's their money. AFAIC, I have better things to spend my hard-earned cash on.
post #2740 of 3308 Old 02-08-2012, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by borntocoast View Post

There is one thing I cannot understand, how do people put up with this nonsense? Where is the outcry? Oh well, it's their money. AFAIC, I have better things to spend my hard-earned cash on.

Cause nobody cares. I complained about a year ago on my local CBS affiliate's Facebook page about a new non-transparent logo they put up (huge), and was met with about 150 complaints....all about my complaining (or whining, apparently)

"I don't even notice it" and "Well, don't watch then" ranked among most responses.

About the only time I ever remember being any kindof outcry was that time they actually paused Family Guy so the Bill Engvall show promotion/snipe could actually talk. At least I haven't seen anything like that anymore.
post #2741 of 3308 Old 02-08-2012, 08:17 PM

So the first airings of this season of Dog the Bounty Hunter are completely unwatchable. I don't want to read what idiots on the Internet are writing about the show scrolling on top of the screen the entire time.

Congrats on losing a viewer, A&E.
post #2742 of 3308 Old 02-09-2012, 03:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"I don't even notice it" and "Well, don't watch then" ranked among most responses.

They are probably gooned on the juice.

post #2743 of 3308 Old 02-09-2012, 04:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

Cause nobody cares. I complained about a year ago on my local CBS affiliate's Facebook page about a new non-transparent logo they put up (huge), and was met with about 150 complaints....all about my complaining (or whining, apparently)

Yeah but what do you expect from a CBS audience? They comprise of the most easily satisfied and least discerning audience in broadcasting. The majority are probably still watching the SD feed of CBS on their HDTVs thinking that it's HD.

post #2744 of 3308 Old 02-09-2012, 02:41 PM

Liked: 14
WHAT SD feed? All the broadcast network affiliates are currently HD (they may have bugs and too much compression, but they still constitute HD.) I've seen cable companies carry down-rezzed analog feeds of HD stations, that cracks me up.

People who complain about complaining are real idiots- they might as well saying "Don't complain, if you do they might actually get rid of the bugs!" I had a letter printed in a local paper after ABC had joined the bug phenomenon, and they later printed 2 letters from other people saying how wrong I was for complaining about that.

The "Big 3" networks have a legacy of television history when TV was still a new thing, the people running them now are spitting on that legacy.
post #2745 of 3308 Old 02-09-2012, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule View Post

WHAT SD feed? All the broadcast network affiliates are currently HD (they may have bugs and too much compression, but they still constitute HD.) I've seen cable companies carry down-rezzed analog feeds of HD stations, that cracks me up.

Every cable company carries SD versions of almost every HD channel they carry. Not sure why you make it seem like some foreign concept.
post #2746 of 3308 Old 02-09-2012, 04:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

People who complain about complaining are real idiots- they might as well saying "Don't complain, if you do they might actually get rid of the bugs!" I had a letter printed in a local paper after ABC had joined the bug phenomenon, and they later printed 2 letters from other people saying how wrong I was for complaining about that.

Could be shills. There's a whole industry built around it. They're like flies on ****, all over the place now.

A pretty well-known electronics firm sent me an email recently with an offer to become a paid, "disguised" one for them, on internet forums. If they're coming after someone like me to do it, I can only imagine how prevalent it must be now.

(In case you're wondering, I just copied the email, wiped my @$$ with it after I took a big dump, and sent it right back to them. )
post #2747 of 3308 Old 02-09-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:

Every cable company carries SD versions of almost every HD channel they carry. Not sure why you make it seem like some foreign concept.

Cable companies do a LOT of stuff which seems like a foreign concept to me- that's why I don't subscribe to them! (Giving me something I would actually want to pay for seems to be a foreign concept to THEM!)
post #2748 of 3308 Old 02-09-2012, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
My wife and I watched New Girl from last week tonight, and I was almost blinded by the POS snipe for Touched. It was a bright flash that took up the entire screen when it came and went. I missed the earlier recording but have decided to not watch that show now.

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

My Samsung 55" D8000 LED-3D tv settings.
post #2749 of 3308 Old 02-10-2012, 01:53 AM
AVS Special Member

My disgust for the corporate greed that has ruined pay TV drives me to shill against them.

post #2750 of 3308 Old 02-10-2012, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

My disgust for the corporate greed that has ruined pay TV drives me to shill against them.

And the people who pay for pay tv.

And the FOUL!
post #2751 of 3308 Old 02-12-2012, 01:55 PM

Oh man. Discovery Communications is really pissing me off this week. This garbage was all over the screen on Friday:

At this rate they're probably going to add a scrolling bar like A&E telling us what idiots on the Internet think about what they're watching.

It's bad enough having it on one side but having it on TWO sides at the top AND bottom is incredibly distracting.

I don't care about this crap! Get this **** off my ponies, damn it! Go back to your transparent logo you bastards. Leave my Hub alone!

TLC is now putting this Twitter hashtag crap on ALL of their programming. Same issue as Discovery: thrown up on the complete opposite side of the screen so you get distractions all around.

I want to strangle whoever is in charge of the graphics department at Discovery. And I want to strangle the people who actually tweet this trash and encourage this nonsense even harder.
post #2752 of 3308 Old 02-14-2012, 02:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I took my car in to get my tires rotated and balanced today and they had cable TV in the waiting room. Since I was the only one in there I flipped through the channels and was shocked at all the screen clutter I saw. AMC had a movie on and they had the AMC bug on the bottom right of the screen and on the bottom left of the screen they had in huge letters "THE WALKING DEAD" and what day it was coming on. They left this junk on the screen the whole time. I had it on for about 5 minutes and it was so hard to look at I had to change the channel to something else. I don't see how anybody can watch TV like this or pay the price the pay TV companies charge these days. Plus the only thing I saw on that was interesting was a movie that I already had on DVD for the last 6 years. Pay TV has gotten worse since I cut the cord in 2008.

post #2753 of 3308 Old 02-14-2012, 12:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I took my car in to get my tires rotated and balanced today and they had cable TV in the waiting room. Since I was the only one in there I flipped through the channels and was shocked at all the screen clutter I saw. AMC had a movie on and they had the AMC bug on the bottom right of the screen and on the bottom left of the screen they had in huge letters "THE WALKING DEAD" and what day it was coming on. They left this junk on the screen the whole time. I had it on for about 5 minutes and it was so hard to look at I had to change the channel to something else. I don't see how anybody can watch TV like this or pay the price the pay TV companies charge these days. Plus the only thing I saw on that was interesting was a movie that I already had on DVD for the last 6 years. Pay TV has gotten worse since I cut the cord in 2008.

Yes, it is absolutely terrible that way - even worse than the broadcast channels.

I have a basic package myself, but not for those channels with scripted and semi-scripted (meaning "reality") programming, which I never watch, with that being one of the reasons.

However, it's still worth it to me and some others. Remember, too, that we're talking mainly about HD in this forum. A lot of the stuff on cable you can't get on Blu-ray, let alone even your beloved SD-DVD.

I have one question, though - if the clutter thing disgusts you that much, how can you even watch the broadcast channels over OTA?
post #2754 of 3308 Old 02-14-2012, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
In the NYC area WPIX is the worst with snipes during syndicated programming.
Some of them are actual animated commercials running over the show.
post #2755 of 3308 Old 02-14-2012, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Yes, it is absolutely terrible that way - even worse than the broadcast channels.

I have a basic package myself, but not for those channels with scripted and semi-scripted (meaning "reality") programming, which I never watch, with that being one of the reasons.

However, it's still worth it to me and some others. Remember, too, that we're talking mainly about HD in this forum. A lot of the stuff on cable you can't get on Blu-ray, let alone even your beloved SD-DVD.

I have one question, though - if the clutter thing disgusts you that much, how can you even watch the broadcast channels over OTA?

With only one exception (a countdown for a season premier of Lost), I can't remember any broadcast channels having near the same amount of junk left up on the screen as I see on some cable channels. Yeah the snipes can be annoying, but at least they go away. I wonder if they realize that I literally watch less TV than I would if it wasn't so annoying .

Also, anyone notice how clean both episodes of Smash have been on NBC? If they'd just move the logo to where its not 4:3 safe and make it less opaque, I'd be a completely "happy camper".
post #2756 of 3308 Old 02-14-2012, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

You won't find anyone here that will disagree with you on this. We are all annoyed, upset, and very, unhappy about the clutter on our screens while we are ATTEMPTING to watch the program we tuned in to see for entertainment! I wish there was an effective way of dealing with it OTHER than turning off the television, which deprives me of the entertainment I seek.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #2757 of 3308 Old 02-14-2012, 04:34 PM

If the ratings reported ZERO viewers, or at least had shown a dramatic decline when the logos started staying onscreen, then it would have come to an end very soon. When Fox started back in 1993 I thought there was no way people were going to put up with it and that it would be gone in no time.
post #2758 of 3308 Old 02-14-2012, 04:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

If the ratings reported ZERO viewers, or at least had shown a dramatic decline when the logos started staying onscreen, then it would have come to an end very soon. When Fox started back in 1993 I thought there was no way people were going to put up with it and that it would be gone in no time.

Heh heh - yeah.... tell me about it.

I thought that back when reality programming first came out, too.
post #2759 of 3308 Old 02-14-2012, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

That is a BIG *IF*. The outraged people in this forum represent an insignificant tick in the ratings of any given show or network. Letter writing complaints is pretty much the best we can do, but don't expect any real results.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #2760 of 3308 Old 02-14-2012, 10:25 PM

Well, this is new.

WeTV is now letterboxing all their commercials and putting up their promoting graphics in commercials instead of shows:

Why can't everybody start doing this instead of molesting the shows? I wonder how long til the advertisers make them remove it
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page