Shows that ran out of new episodes - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 40 Old 12-16-2007, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What will be aired when shows run out of new episodes?

Las Vegas - December 7th they had the last show of the month. Is this it for Las Vegas? Will we get another new episode. At the end of the episode when they normally show a preview of next weeks episode, they didn't show a preview but said "see you in 2008".

Is there any chance they can do episodes while the writers strike continues? Are studios forced to use scripts from members of the writers guild? Is there any other group of people who can write episodes?

Dirty, Sexy, Money is playing reruns. Last week they aired the pilot. They still have new episodes, so why are they playing reruns?

Kitchen Nightmares only had 10 episodes and aired them all. What will replace this show Wednesday nights?

24 star is in jail and they said they might not do any episodes this year. This is one of my favorite shows and I was waiting for it.

K-Ville only has 1 episode left, but no date it will air. This is a good show and I hope the strike does not kill it.

They said the Tonight Show may be back soon. I'm surpirsed they did not replay old Carson episodes. It's more funny than anything Leno has done.

What will be on in place of shows that run out of episodes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 12-16-2007, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The networks are saving everything they've got left for the new year so they can promote their new schedules, midseason replacements, and new reality shows so that February sweeps isn't a total disaster. Thus, most of the remaining episodes will air in mid- to late January. The one notable exception might be House, since Fox is saving one of the three or four remaining episodes to air after the SuperBowl (and presumably would want to hang on to an episode or two to air in the weeks following the SuperBowl).

As far as talk shows go, Leno and Conan look set to return the first week in January without writers. Letterman and Ferguson will also return, but with writers, since Worldwide Pants has succesfully negotiated a waiver from the WGA. Jon Stewart is also attempting to procure a waiver for his shows.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 40 Old 12-16-2007, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If the studio's are listening, please don't spam us with Dateline or crappy news shows in prime time. Please don't load up with game shows. This is not entertainment.

Why can't networks develop good shows like cable. One example is Discovery Channels Man VS. Wild. This would be awesome as a national OTA show. The extra money could take Bear Grylls to more exotic locations. There are no writers on this show so the strike would not affect it.
post #4 of 40 Old 12-16-2007, 05:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogiehowser View Post

What will be aired when shows run out of new episodes?

Reruns & holiday specials for the next few weeks.
Reality.
Programs that have not made it to air yet this season.
More reality.
More reruns.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #5 of 40 Old 12-16-2007, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

post #6 of 40 Old 12-16-2007, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Here's a look at the networks spring schedules:

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/guide.aspx

And here is a fairly updated, but not complete, look at the status of various shows:

http://community.tvguide.com/blog-en...Long/800026937

Rocky
post #7 of 40 Old 12-17-2007, 03:27 AM

Liked: 11
Until Hollywood gets back to work, there's not much else to present. Better to present game shows, news magazines and reality shows than present dead-air or most reruns.
post #8 of 40 Old 12-17-2007, 04:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogiehowser View Post

Why can't networks develop good shows like cable. One example is Discovery Channels Man VS. Wild. This would be awesome as a national OTA show. The extra money could take Bear Grylls to more exotic locations. There are no writers on this show so the strike would not affect it.

That's a British import not a cable dev. And it's just as fictitious as most drama.

post #9 of 40 Old 12-17-2007, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Reruns you wouldnt mind watching?

Deadwood
Rome.
post #10 of 40 Old 12-17-2007, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I would rather have news shows myself than reality shows but that is just me.

Argee
post #11 of 40 Old 12-17-2007, 05:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

Until Hollywood gets back to work, there's not much else to present. Better to present game shows, news magazines and reality shows than present dead-air or most reruns.

I'd like it if they'd at least devote one day a week to give a second look at some shows that show promise, but people might not have gotten a chance to see. I know I'd love to rewatch some of the Pushing Daisies episodes again because of the smart writing and all those pretty colors.

Perhaps give a second chance to great shows like Journeyman that are getting cut because they couldn't find an audience in all the noise. Maybe they could get a last second pardon.

Another option might be to bring in original properties from the cable nets, like BSG, Kyle XY, Monk, Psych, The 4400, The Riches, etc. Plenty of people probably have never seen them and they could use the chance to promote the upcoming seasons.

Finally, it might be fun to do a "classic TV" night and show some memorable episodes of some hit TV series over the years. Hit us with Gunsmoke, The Time Tunnel, Lost in Space, Dallas, The X-Files, The Outer Limits, etc. Maybe give us another look at some of the old mini-series epics like Lonesome Dove, The Thorn Birds, Roots, etc.

There are plenty of options to use what you have in the vaults that would potentially grant just as much financial return as if you went through the expense of making a reality show - even as "cheap" as those are to produce.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 40 Old 12-17-2007, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah, I am very suprised that the big three are not dipping into their vaults for classics to bring out. Or that they are not just re-running the Fall season. I would love to catch Life and Journeyman this time around and have little desire to watch reality TV.

At this rate BBC is gonna get all of my attention.
post #13 of 40 Old 12-17-2007, 08:15 AM

Liked: 13
Luckily I have hours and hours of shows/movies saved on my DVR to tide me over.

Most upset about 24 and Lost - and no Dexter until end of 2008
post #14 of 40 Old 12-17-2007, 09:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachosgrande View Post

Yeah, honestly I have at least 15-20 hours of stuff I can watch on my DVR. You know - all those shows that I've started losing interest in this season, but wasn't ready to bail on just yet.

It's funny. I normally have around 30 items in my upcoming recording schedule over the next 14 days. Right now, I have roughly 5. I don't think the queue has ever been that low before. It's probably a good thing since I finally took the plunge to get my MPEG4 gear and it's scheduled to be installed on the 7th. I can clear out the old DVR before I move it to the second TV.

In the end, though, until things get rolling again, my main focus will probably be movies and classic TV from Netflix.

post #15 of 40 Old 12-17-2007, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I wish they'd show Drive or Daybreak or one of any other shows that got cancelled without all the episodes being shown or being given a proper chance to build an audience.

But I guess Clash of the Choirs and American Gladiators will have to do.

Why do I get the feeling I'll be watching a LOT more movies in the next couple of months.
post #16 of 40 Old 12-17-2007, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

There are plenty of options to use what you have in the vaults that would potentially grant just as much financial return as if you went through the expense of making a reality show - even as "cheap" as those are to produce.

I suspect they know that, and evaluate the options you listed against the options they're considering. My guess is that if they don't choose the options you listed it is because those options either cost too much or are projected to earn too little.
post #17 of 40 Old 12-17-2007, 11:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachosgrande View Post

I bumped up my Netflix subscription. I've never had premium cable so there's a lot of shows for me to rent out there. I just started watching the Wire.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #18 of 40 Old 12-17-2007, 06:16 PM

Problem is that Netflix tends to get bogged down in the USPS this time of year. Yesterday was the first time in four months that I didn't get a disc they sent out the delivery day after they sent it. I suspect those delays will build over the course of the next week or so.
post #19 of 40 Old 12-17-2007, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Problem is that Netflix tends to get bogged down in the USPS this time of year. Yesterday was the first time in four months that I didn't get a disc they sent out the delivery day after they sent it. I suspect those delays will build over the course of the next week or so.

I have been getting pretty slow results from Netflix via USPS lately and with all this Christmas "junk" people feel they "have" to ship to their loved ones.... Netflix is normally next day here in Rochester, MN......

KD0MOF

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the poster's only and NOT that of the poster's employers.
post #20 of 40 Old 12-17-2007, 07:49 PM

scrooge
post #21 of 40 Old 12-17-2007, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

I bumped up my Netflix subscription. I've never had premium cable so there's a lot of shows for me to rent out there. I just started watching the Wire.

Double for me. I didn't start watching some shows until they were into multiple seasons. I just used Netflix back to season 1 and started from the beginning. Just finished Smallville, Starting Lost next week. Thinking about Heroes and 24. Just don't know if I need that many intense shows piling up. Maybe I should throw in some comedies like The Office so I don't have nightmares. With Netflix we can create our own line up.

My build thread:

post #22 of 40 Old 12-18-2007, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

We got on the Netflix bandwagon this past summer as well, and we're very glad we did--especially now with the strike. We have two little ones, so there were a lot of shows we missed in the last few years.

We ended up watching all of the Sopranos, The Wire, 24 and The Shield, as well as the first season of Friday Night Lights. Can't wait for the return of The Shield and The Wire, and bummed about the prospects for 24 with the strike. For next summer we'll probably go for Heroes and Friday Night Lights season 2.

We tried Sports Night after hearing so many good reviews over the years, but after 6 episodes we gave up.
post #23 of 40 Old 12-18-2007, 08:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

In my case, I have 3 discs coming today and should have another by Wednesday because I returned 2 each on Friday and Saturday. The one disc for Wednesday is coming from New Jersey - and we all know how hard it is to get out of New Jersey.

At any rate, I'm not really worried about how many I get now, though. I'm busy with the holidays. I'm more of less thinking about January when there will still be few shows I'll be watching then.

post #24 of 40 Old 12-18-2007, 08:15 AM

What I'm also finding is that, for the first time in a while, I'm experiencing Long Wait; that's not happened to me for a while. (This is the Big Love Season 2 series.) It's kind-of messing things up for me, because instead of getting these 3 hour discs, I'm getting one 90 minute movie after another. Bleh.
post #25 of 40 Old 12-18-2007, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What I'm also finding is that, for the first time in a while, I'm experiencing Long Wait; that's not happened to me for a while. (This is the Big Love Season 2 series.) It's kind-of messing things up for me, because instead of getting these 3 hour discs, I'm getting one 90 minute movie after another. Bleh.

Netflix messed me up on Season 6 of Smallville. I received discs 1,2, and 4. I could never get 3. I went to my local Blockbuster and got it. However, I was getting HD-DVD off Netflix and the number of episodes per disc is different between HD and SD. What a mess.

My build thread:

post #26 of 40 Old 12-18-2007, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
The Netflix movie I would normally get today hasn't shipped yet. But I'm buying The Simpsons Movie today anyway.

The good thing about lack of new episodes is it will give me more time to check out the new HD channels I'm about to get on Comcast, especially The Discovery Channel (this week) and CNN (January).

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #27 of 40 Old 12-18-2007, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

WGA STRIKE UPDATE: NBC to Air USA's Monk, Psych

Shows from NBC's Corporate Cable Cousin to Be Repurposed Onto Broadcast Network Beginning in March

By Ben Grossman -- Broadcasting & Cable, 12/18/2007 12:33:00 PM

NBC's strike-schedule planning continued Tuesday with the announcement that it will air USA Network shows Monk and Psych Sunday nights beginning in March.

The shows currently air Fridays on NBC's corporate cable cousin, with new episodes returning to USA Friday, Jan. 11. Those episodes will then be repurposed onto the broadcast network beginning in March.

This marks the second time Monk has gotten a network run, as repeats previously aired on ABC.

Both shows are from NBC Universal's Universal Media Studios.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6513695.html

post #28 of 40 Old 12-18-2007, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Comedy Central: No Call Yet On Stewart, Colbert Returns

Network Expects To Make Decision Soon On New Episodes For Its Late-Night Series

By Mike Reynolds -- Multichannel News, 12/18/2007 8:00:00 AM

Jay Leno and Conan O'Brien are going back to work in the new year and David Letterman's looking to do the same.

But Comedy Central has yet to make the call about when it might put fresh episodes of The Daily Show with John Stewart and The Colbert Report on its air.

In light of the NBC decision and Letterman seeking waivers, those conversations are taking place, but we have not made any decisions yet, said Comedy Central spokesman Tony Fox.

He added that we expect a decision to be made fairly soon, but declined to specify a time frame.

Comedy Central has continued to run encores of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report since the Writers Guild Of America strike began on Nov. 5.

Yesterday, NBC announced The Tonight Show With Jay Leno and Late Night with Conan O'Brien will go back to into production Jan. 2, six weeks after the NBC shows were shut down because of the WGA strike.

But the late-night shows won't contain monologues, since Leno and O'Brien are both returning sans their writers. Both have been staunch supporters of the WGA, but said they were concerned about their out-of-work staff members

Meanwhile, Worldwide Pants, Letterman's independent production company, is seeking a separate pact with the WGA, which could get The Late Show With Dave Letterman back on CBS late night early in 2008.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6513608.html

post #29 of 40 Old 12-18-2007, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

WGA STRIKE UPDATE: ABC's Jimmy Kimmel Live Will Also Return Jan. 2

Follows Monday Announcement by NBC's The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, Late Night with Conan O'Brien

By Ben Grossman -- Broadcasting & Cable, 12/18/2007 2:34:00 PM

ABC's late-night franchise, Jimmy Kimmel Live, will join NBC's The Tonight Show with Jay Leno and Late Night with Conan O'Brien in returning to the air without writers Wednesday, Jan. 2.
Jimmy Kimmel Live

Though it makes me sick to do so without my writers, there are more than 100 people whose financial well-being depends on our show, Kimmel said in a statement. It is time to go back to work. I support my colleagues and friends in the [Writers Guild of America] completely and hope this ends both fairly and soon.

While questions remained as to how Leno and O'Brien will handle their monologues, Kimmel's format may be relatively easier to adapt to a writer-less environment. His opening segment is usually built around a series of humorous video clips, whereas his competitors' monologues tend to just be built around jokes.

NBC announced Monday that its shows will return that same night, but without writers. Also in question will be what kind of guests the shows can attract, as actors may choose not cross the picket line to appear on the late-night shows.

David Letterman's Worldwide Pants is trying to cut a side deal with the WGA to have its two CBS late-night shows -- The Late Show with David Letterman and Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson -- return to the air with writers. That would also enable them to book guests without the picket line being a factor.

Letterman has the luxury because his production company owns his and Ferguson's shows, while NBC owns its shows and ABC owns Kimmel's.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...?desc=topstory

post #30 of 40 Old 12-18-2007, 03:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtheater View Post

Netflix messed me up on Season 6 of Smallville. I received discs 1,2, and 4. I could never get 3. I went to my local Blockbuster and got it. However, I was getting HD-DVD off Netflix and the number of episodes per disc is different between HD and SD. What a mess.

That's odd. They usually don't skip TV show discs. Instead, they usually move on to the next unique item if they can't get the next series disc in line.

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page