Old 02-27-2008, 12:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlatham View Post

Smackdown will be broadcast on mynetworktv in the fall.

Looks like the CW wasn't content to be in 5th place, now they are striving to drop to 6th. Losing one of their very few successful shows is just the latest nail in the coffin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2008, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bet not many MNTV channels are in HD either..
Old 02-27-2008, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Luckily WWOR out of NY is in HD, so I'll be able to continue watching Smackdown in HD when it makes the move to MYNetwork TV.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

the one here in NORFOLK, VA

WTVZ broadcast NCAA basketball games in HD..

currently the only way to view WTVZ in NORFOLK DMA is via OTA..

there is an agreement in place between the local cable co and SInclair but the channel has yet to be added to the line up.

the Vz crews are running the lines now so WTVZ should be available to local FiOS customers soon.

and of course HD locals in NORFOLK, VA are NOT available via the sat co's.

it stinks that there leaving CW but o well things change i guess..

MY COMMENTS ARE MY OWN PERSONAL OPINIONS AND IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM REPRESENT Vz or D*
Old 02-27-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVOD View Post

Looks like the CW wasn't content to be in 5th place, now they are striving to drop to 6th. Losing one of their very few successful shows is just the latest nail in the coffin.

Given the lower ad rates networks can charge for wrestling it's not a big loss. Smackdown might have been towards the top (not at the top) of their ratings, but the shows just underneath it have almost the same numbers and draw more cash for their commercials...as well as more prestige for the network. If WWE was wanting too large of a license fee then I can't blame CW for dropping them.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Does anyone know how much Wrestlemania 24 HD will cost??
Old 03-01-2008, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizzo View Post

Does anyone know how much Wrestlemania 24 HD will cost??

$70 no joke...
Old 03-01-2008, 10:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakzie View Post

$70 no joke...

You have to be kidding me.. how much is the SD version??

If true.. I guess they have to find a way to pay for Mayweahter's $20 million dollar check.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

$55 I believe for SD..
Old 03-02-2008, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

wow 70 And 55 is a huge difference between the 2 feeds.

is alrady bad enough that the other ppvs are 50 for HD...!

MY COMMENTS ARE MY OWN PERSONAL OPINIONS AND IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM REPRESENT Vz or D*
Old 03-02-2008, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

$70 no joke...

$64.95 actually
Old 03-02-2008, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Willis View Post

$64.95 actually

That looks better than 70.. but still expensive. I will wait for it on blu ray.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I find myself fast forwarding things more and more. I'm not sure if it's just me, but I can't really get into this generation of wrestling stars. There just doesn't seem to be anything compelling for me any more.

That being said, I did like the bikini contest on Friday's Smackdown.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit670 View Post

Given the lower ad rates networks can charge for wrestling it's not a big loss. Smackdown might have been towards the top (not at the top) of their ratings, but the shows just underneath it have almost the same numbers and draw more cash for their commercials...as well as more prestige for the network. If WWE was wanting too large of a license fee then I can't blame CW for dropping them.

Last I checked it was CW's most popular show by quite a margin. ANTM used to do well but can't even crack 4 million any more. Smackdown gets over 5 million. It will now become MNTV's most popular show and crush whatever CW has on.

CW has to rank as the dumbest network in TV history to lose their most popular show especially just as it goes HD. Even NBC never did anything that whacky. As far as prestige goes, I doubt that is their main concern. At this point I think survival of the network may be more of an issue.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post

I find myself fast forwarding things more and more. I'm not sure if it's just me, but I can't really get into this generation of wrestling stars. There just doesn't seem to be anything compelling for me any more.

Not just you. There was a lot of buzz going on in wrestling fan communities about ten years ago with the three separate major promotions (WCW, ECW, WWF).
Old 03-09-2008, 07:25 PM
DB2
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post

OMG you're not alone!!!!

When Smackdown went HD I really, really wanted to get back into Wrestling...and I just can't do it. I don't know if it's the writing, the wrestlers or what??

We must be getting old...

"I usually sit closer to 2 X screen width, or I look like a cat watching a ping pong tournament." -Free
Old 03-09-2008, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I think it's just the lack of charisma of the "new" stars. They just have lousy gimmicks or just don't seem to have any personality. For example, Batista seems to be a poster boy for the new generation. The only gimmick he seems to have is being angry.

I think I started to lose a lot of interest after the passing of Eddie Guerrero. It pains me to see Vickie Guerrero involved in a really lame storyline with Edge.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:08 AM

I watch WWE and TNA every week, but just out of habit. Raw has become quickly a bore for me to watch; the Raw roster is the same-old same-old crew. Smackdown could be decent but has the worst announcer pairing this side of Tenay & West.

And if WWE management is trying to ape mixed martial arts then they're failing at it. See: Undertaker and his mighty "submission manoeuvre (TM)."
Old 03-10-2008, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVOD View Post

Last I checked it was CW's most popular show by quite a margin. ANTM used to do well but can't even crack 4 million any more. Smackdown gets over 5 million. It will now become MNTV's most popular show and crush whatever CW has on.

CW has to rank as the dumbest network in TV history to lose their most popular show especially just as it goes HD. Even NBC never did anything that whacky. As far as prestige goes, I doubt that is their main concern. At this point I think survival of the network may be more of an issue.

You really have no idea how the television industry works, do you?

First, you said Smackdown was the network's show "by quite a margin." Over the last three weeks it only beat ANTM and Smallville by .1-.2. That's not much of a margin. If you look at the 18-49 ratings...which is what actually matters since it's what advertisers target and thus care about...Smackdown lost to those shows by a larger margin than it beat them in the overall ratings. Hardly beating them "by quite a margin."

Second, wrestling doesn't bring in the bucks for the network. Take a look at this chart. Then come back and tell me how the CW could be making a mistake not renewing the show that - literally - brings in the LOWEST AMOUNT OF MONEY PER SPOT ON THE ENTIRE NETWORK. (Online Nation has been cancelled.) Advertisers think that neanderthal fifth-grade dropouts are the only people who watch wrestling. They're wrong, of course, but that doesn't change the fact that the industry has never demanded big dollars from Madison Avenue and they NEVER WILL. The public perception just doesn't allow it.

Some fun math: The CW averages nine network commercials per hour, so if we generously assume that doesn't include network promos and extend the total to Smackdown you get $972k per week, or just over $50 million per year. Given that the network pays $28 million per year for the show, it's not a horrid deal but not a mountain of free cash, either.

Now let's move to ANTM. Spots run $130,000 here, a huge increase over Smackdown. Again, at nine spots per hour (for only a one hour this time) you get 2.34 million in revenue per show. With twenty-six original episodes per year the total runs to just over 60 million in revenue.

That's right: over $10 million more generated...with literally HALF the episodes at HALF the length. So it takes four times the amount of Smackdown to still generate less revenue than the crappy reality show.

And get this...the license fee for ANTM is less than Smackdown's, as reality shows usually are...so they make far more profit off the show...not just revenue.

AND it gets the network good publicity and helps promote their other shows, which Smackdown doesn't because it has a completely different audience than what they're trying to develop for the rest of their lineup.

All of this is without even computing the money that the network makes off the Sunday encore ANTM that it can charge $50k a spot for. That's right: they can make more cash selling commercials for a repeat than on a brand-new edition of Smackdown.

So tell me again how Smackdown was more valuable to the network.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:43 AM

Does anyone know if Comcast is going to carry Wrestlemania in HD? I noticed down here in my area (Atlanta) they added the HDPPV channel. At night they play Girls Gone Wild on it, if anyone is interested...lol!
Old 03-13-2008, 11:08 PM

Jeff Hardy was suspended 60 days for violating the WWE Wellness Policy.

What a shame and a waste of talent. He just can't defeat his demons.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

X2. 1 more violation this being his second and he is gone from the WWE period. Due to there 3 strike rule. He could never be hired again by them. Some people have it all in life and do things like this. I just don't get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistaeffect2008 View Post

Old 03-14-2008, 01:47 PM

I called my local Comcast office to ask about Wrestlemania in HD and they told me "Yes, it will be available in HD $59.99." Kinda expensive but at least I can get it in HD!
Old 03-15-2008, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistaeffect2008 View Post

Any word as to what the substance was?

It's time to give props to WLNS for the HD crawl generator!!!

Now we need WHTV to go HD and Lansing's CW to get a separate transmitter so it isn't a digital sub.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Plus I guess Jeff's house burned to the ground last night while him and his girlfriend were out, destroying all his possessions and his dog. Not a good week for Jeff.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Plus I guess Jeff's house burned to the ground last night while him and his girlfriend were out, destroying all his possessions and his dog. Not a good week for Jeff.

Jeff has definitely had a bad week....
Old 03-21-2008, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Just got WBNX-HD(Cleveland CW) on Time Warner this week. The first WWE I've seen in HD and it was freaking AWESOME!!! Their shows have always been great, it's unbelieveable in HD. Now if only we'd get USA HD!
Old 03-22-2008, 12:03 PM

Too bad for Jeff, I think if he did not get the suspension they were going to have him win the Money in the Bank match and be the champ in the near future. So much for that story line
Old 03-27-2008, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Wrestlemania 24 is almost here... I'm tempted to order this expensive PPV in HD. Its the first time WWE (probably the last time for a LONG time) will broadcast wrestling outside in HD.

I will try to wait for its release in May on blu ray.

A sneak peak at the Mania set with video
Old 03-28-2008, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizzo View Post

Wrestlemania 24 is almost here... I'm tempted to order this expensive PPV in HD. Its the first time WWE (probably the last time for a LONG time) will broadcast wrestling outside in HD.

I will try to wait for its release in May on blu ray.

A sneak peak at the Mania set with video

Or just watch it on a free internet stream. That's what i'm doing, or a bud of mine will be ordering it and i'll be heading over his house.