2Likes

post #361 of 2580 Old 02-01-2008, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott72 View Post

I betcha this what they're afraid of. Everyone dropping their other packages to jump on this one. I bet this deal doesn't stick around long.

It could just be that the goal here is to keep the HD sub numbers up, and make their money off of volume. There may be a few folks who may be encouraged to just 'try' Dish HD since its a pretty economical opportunity now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2580 Old 02-01-2008, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampz26 View Post

It could just be that the goal here is to keep the HD sub numbers up, and make their money off of volume. There may be a few folks who may be encouraged to just 'try' Dish HD since its a pretty economical opportunity now.

True.

Say you are a cable customer with a cable company that has crap for HD. You could continue to subscribe to cable for SD and add Dish HD. At a future time you might say lets just get it all from one place.

By the way, the E* nomenclature is no longer appropriate for Dish Network as they changed the name of the corporation form Echostar to Dish Network.

Rick R
post #363 of 2580 Old 02-01-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_R View Post

True.

Say you are a cable customer with a cable company that has crap for HD. You could continue to subscribe to cable for SD and add Dish HD. At a future time you might say lets just get it all from one place.

By the way, the E* nomenclature is no longer appropriate for Dish Network as they changed the name of the corporation form Echostar to Dish Network.

Rick R

N*?
post #364 of 2580 Old 02-01-2008, 01:33 PM

Quick question for those that have signed up. Can you get a DVR? How much extra is it?
post #365 of 2580 Old 02-01-2008, 01:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_R View Post

Rick R

In lieu of a better alternative, we'll keep using E*.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #366 of 2580 Old 02-01-2008, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
A guy called back. I'm good to for $35.97/mo including a 722. DVR fee is 5.98/month as long as you have a phone line connected.
post #367 of 2580 Old 02-01-2008, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post

A guy called back. I'm good to for $35.97/mo including a 722. DVR fee is 5.98/month as long as you have a phone line connected.

I've not been billed yet, I'm hoping I don't get charged $5 extra for no phone line since its been calling home just fine (and never gave me the message) off the ethernet.
post #368 of 2580 Old 02-01-2008, 03:17 PM

For HD pack & locals, DVR and second reciever my cost will be $47.97

Pete
post #369 of 2580 Old 02-01-2008, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewitte View Post

I've not been billed yet, I'm hoping I don't get charged $5 extra for no phone line since its been calling home just fine (and never gave me the message) off the ethernet.

I meant to say phone line or permanent ethernet connection.
post #370 of 2580 Old 02-01-2008, 04:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Anyone know how to find out how much longer you have on a commitment? I seem to recall this was either on the bill or it could be on the website, not sure anymore.

Thanks.
post #371 of 2580 Old 02-01-2008, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I seen they came out with new packages today. The DishHD package with the HD channels only looks like an impressive lineup. I have a few questions though.

1) Is your local RSN HD channel included in the DishHD package or do you have to fork out more money to get it? I live in Chicago and would like to get Comcast SportsNet in HD.

2) Will Dish Network soon launch WGN HD? Currently, they do not have WGN in HD.

3) Is NBA-TV HD included in DishHD or is there some kind of hidden cost to actually get this channel?

4) When Dish Network launches more HD channels this year (Sci Fi HD, USA HD, etc), will you be able to get them in the DishHD package or will they charge you more or put it in a separate tier?
post #372 of 2580 Old 02-01-2008, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

I betcha this what they're afraid of. Everyone dropping their other packages to jump on this one. I bet this deal doesn't stick around long.

If consumers had a little bit of common sense, E* could keep this program around indefinitely and make a fortune. For every E* sub that gets rid of a "TOP xxx" package, there should be half a dozen cable subs who realize that between the broadcast nets and E*'s HD-Only Pack, they could save a fortune and have more than enough programming to keep their household entertained.

Even more would look at it if they had the sense to install an antenna instead of pricing in $10 - $15 for broadcast basic from their cableco.
post #373 of 2580 Old 02-01-2008, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Ah, why was my thread moved into here. The reason I made a thread is because people never answer in these long threads that get off topic. lol
post #374 of 2580 Old 02-01-2008, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

If consumers had a little bit of common sense, E* could keep this program around indefinitely and make a fortune. For every E* sub that gets rid of a "TOP xxx" package, there should be half a dozen cable subs who realize that between the broadcast nets and E*'s HD-Only Pack, they could save a fortune and have more than enough programming to keep their household entertained.

Even more would look at it if they had the sense to install an antenna instead of pricing in $10 - $15 for broadcast basic from their cableco.

Yeah, its a great scenario for anyone that doesent care about their regional sports teams. I would think theyll gain alot of non sports fan cable subs out of this offer.

Its almost a no brainer for someone that doesent need their RSN, imo..
post #375 of 2580 Old 02-01-2008, 07:37 PM

Quote:

Believe me I would install an antenna if I didn't live in a valley. Besides, next January OTA is dead anyhow.
post #376 of 2580 Old 02-01-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guffy1 View Post

Yeah, its a great scenario for anyone that doesent care about their regional sports teams. I would think theyll gain alot of non sports fan cable subs out of this offer.

Its almost a no brainer for someone that doesent need their RSN, imo..

And that's a big problem for me. I can't/won't give up by RSN so therein lies the dilemma. I'd have to keep by expanded basic cable, but could drop the HD which would save me right around the same cost as the $30 package. Well worth it imo.
post #377 of 2580 Old 02-01-2008, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Believe me I would install an antenna if I didn't live in a valley. Besides, next January OTA is dead anyhow.

What. OTA has seen a resurgence recently because of HD. I never watched analog OTA but digital is killer.
post #378 of 2580 Old 02-02-2008, 12:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb7oeb View Post

The 622 has the option to crop the picture on tv2 so you can watch 4:3 content on an HD channel without boxing on all sides. I would image the 222 can also do that.

Then if the sides are stretched more than the middle on the non-linear stretches it shouldn't look too bad - but the linear stretched stuff will still be fat-head.
post #379 of 2580 Old 02-02-2008, 06:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

Besides, next January OTA is dead anyhow.

If you believe that, I have some land to sell you when the tide goes out.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #380 of 2580 Old 02-02-2008, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And that's a big problem for me. I can't/won't give up by RSN so therein lies the dilemma. I'd have to keep by expanded basic cable, but could drop the HD which would save me right around the same cost as the $30 package. Well worth it imo.

Youd watch your RSN is SD then, since you would be cancelling your cable HD package?

That sounds painful
post #381 of 2580 Old 02-02-2008, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post

If you believe that, I have some land to sell you when the tide goes out.

Ok, clearly I'm wrong? I was understanding the HD signals were being packaged with the analog signal over OTA right now. Clearly when analog dies OTA next Jan, how will the HD signal be sent then? I didn't think it could go OTA solo.
post #382 of 2580 Old 02-02-2008, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guffy1 View Post

Youd watch your RSN is SD then, since you would be cancelling your cable HD package?

That sounds painful

Well as of right now I don't have my RSN in HD anyway. It might be coming next week, but not holding my breath with my cable co. Other markets have already gotten it, but that doesn't mean I will. I don't get my locals in HD.
post #383 of 2580 Old 02-02-2008, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Ok, clearly I'm wrong? I was understanding the HD signals were being packaged with the analog signal over OTA right now. Clearly when analog dies OTA next Jan, how will the HD signal be sent then? I didn't think it could go OTA solo.

Err, nothing is dieing. Only part of the UHF spectrum is being sold off. There will be enough bandwidth left for dozens of digital channels in each market.
post #384 of 2580 Old 02-02-2008, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
The digital and analog OTA broadcasts are independent of each other. All those who installed antennas to get their local HD channels will be unaffected by the analog shut off.
post #385 of 2580 Old 02-02-2008, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post

Did you get the 3 months free it says on the website too?
post #386 of 2580 Old 02-02-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:

The digital and analog OTA broadcasts are independent of each other. All those who installed antennas to get their local HD channels will be unaffected by the analog shut off.

Thanks for the correction, I did not know that..
post #387 of 2580 Old 02-02-2008, 09:27 AM

Existing customer changed programming last night. It took 2 calls because the 1st rep said I couldn't make any changes even though I am not under their 2 year commitment. Second call took 5 minutes with a customer retention rep.

Prior to 2/1: top 100 (never watched), "bronze" HD pkg, HBO, locals = about $70/month. As of 2/1: HD only, HBO, locals, added Showtime = about $57/month! On top of that, I now receive the othe HD channels that were only available with the higher level base packages - NG, AP, VS/G, SC!
post #388 of 2580 Old 02-02-2008, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Thanks for the correction, I did not know that..

To give you more info, more gaps were needed between analog channels before so more channels were needed to fit in all the analog channels that were out there. With digital, there is less leakage and less separation needed. So, they were able to take channels 52 through 69 from the UHF spectrum and allocate it for the so-called "700MHz" wireless spectrum. The FCC auction is going on right now for these and over $10 Billion has already been raised.

All OTA high power analog signals have to be shutoff by Feb 2009 and these stations have to either vacate their existing channels (if between 52 and 69) or change over to digital on the same location. This depends on the market. For some TV stations, this means two changes because they are currently transmitting analog on one channel and digital on the other and after the cutoff, they actually have to vacate their digital channel and move it to another because their current digital is between 52 and 69. That's why in smaller markets these channels have not gone full power yet (such as Erie, PA).
post #389 of 2580 Old 02-02-2008, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post

I went thru their online order system and found the 29.99 Dish HD package. In fact after credits it told me the first month total was -$10!

Hopefully they get some channels added here soon!

Good deal you got!

However don't hold your breadth for any new HDs soon. My bet is part of the reasons E* has this new pack is because they don't plan on adding any new HDs soon, probably until later this year the best. Imagine if they do add a whole bunch of new HDs, and not include them in this pack, it will be a major false advertising, if they do include them in a lot of people will drop AT packs and E* will lose big.

Hence my conclusion and the decision to switch to D*. I also think it will not be until deep into 2009 when E* can seriously match D*'s HDs. By then I will be able to look at coming back to E* again.

At the meantime I agree this E* HD-only pack is a brilliant move under a difficult circumstance.
post #390 of 2580 Old 02-02-2008, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esimonso View Post

Did you get the 3 months free it says on the website too?

Yes, but there is a "catch". I get the credits on my first month's, ten month's and twentieth month's bill. So it's not the "first three months" it's three months spread out over twenty months of the 24 month commitment. No biggie. The first bill is for two months, BTW, not one. And the credit is more than $29.99 x three, it's $39.99 X three. That's where that -$10 in the previous post must have come from.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page