2Likes

post #451 of 2580 Old 02-12-2008, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Sorry, I've never had SAT service before. What I'm saying is that shows that used to be on at 6pm PST on FX, TBS, etc. are now on at 3pm PST. I was told by the sales person that these shows would be on the same time as they were when I was with comcast

There is nothing you can do to change that. Generally east coast feeds are used by satellite providers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2580 Old 02-12-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Sorry, I've never had SAT service before. What I'm saying is that shows that used to be on at 6pm PST on FX, TBS, etc. are now on at 3pm PST. I was told by the sales person that these shows would be on the same time as they were when I was with comcast

They probably meant your local content would be the same time. These national channels are going to be different. Just DVR your fav shows on these channels. Why watch then live with all the ads anyhow?
post #453 of 2580 Old 02-12-2008, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 319
That's a drag... I know I can DVR them but if a friend or family member calls and says "hey check out [insert program] on channel X" I'll have missed it.

Oh well... at least I have Monsters HD

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #454 of 2580 Old 02-12-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post

I had my $29.99 "HD Stand Alone" installation yesterday. It's not really HD only. In addition to the 39 advertised HD channels I'm getting all the SD counterparts, like Food and HGTV SD, as well as some other SD channels: AMC, Oxygen, Hallmark, IFC and Fuse for example. I'm also getting all those religious, jewelry and shopping channels. I called Dish to verify that I'm on the right plan and they assured me I was on the $29.99 HD only plan (plus $5.98 for the 722 DVR).

My teenager likes "Fuse" and has an SD set hooked up in his room using the second tuner, so these extra channels are a nice little bonus. The installer knew nothing about the HD Stand Alone package, BTW.

The SD counterparts of the HD channels are part of the package. The other SD channels ("AMC, Oxygen, Hallmark, IFC and Fuse for example") I believe are the group that Dish is showcasing with a free preview this month. Next month, there'll be another batch. All the channels that pay Dish for airtime will be available to you with any Dish package.

I just downgraded (upgraded?) to this package yesterday from AT250 + HD, and it has everything that I watch in it.
post #455 of 2580 Old 02-12-2008, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iteki View Post

Some of us already have a great deal of $$$ invested in E*. In my case, I have an HD-DVR (two tuners plus OTA) and an SD DVR (2 tuners). Any 'deal' I might make still has me buying replacement DVRs at the cost of several hundred dollars. I'd like to wait and see how quickly E* can get their HD up to par before I invest that much in D*

That was my point, the cost of advanced receivers have gone down enough it should not be an issue anymore, for example with the deal I described as a new D* sub, your setup (one HR21 HDDVR + one SDDVR) should cost only $99.
post #456 of 2580 Old 02-12-2008, 05:46 PM

So if I get the HD only package, but one of my receivers isn't an HD receiver, would I still receive the SD versions of the HD networks on that receiver, like Food, TNT, TBS, etc?
post #457 of 2580 Old 02-12-2008, 05:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
No. Those would require the extra, appropriate SD subscription.

If you just want a non-DVR receiver, you'd use the 222 dual-tunered model, and that will send it's 2nd internal tuner's downscaled HD signal to your 2nd set. Or you could just use a separate, HD tuner - but that will be an extra fee, while the dual-tuner model shouldn't have one as long as it's continually connected to a phone line. At least that's how I think it'll work. There shouldn't be an extra access fee to the 2nd set, I don't think.
post #458 of 2580 Old 02-12-2008, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

But I heard the "HD Only" is not really so, you still get all the SD counterparts of the HD channels, if so then your SD box should see those SD channels.
post #459 of 2580 Old 02-12-2008, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacmyoung View Post

That was my point, the cost of advanced receivers have gone down enough it should not be an issue anymore, for example with the deal I described as a new D* sub, your setup (one HR21 HDDVR + one SDDVR) should cost only $99.

We have 4 rooms. Dish DVRs can run two TVs each. So to restore DVR functionality to all 4 rooms I would need 4 DVRs (two HD, two SD) from Directv. Not to mention some wiring done to the other two rooms.

Not to mention getting the wife on board...hardest part of the operation :-)

Right now she can setup a recording in the living room then watch it in the bedroom if she gets tired (since they run off the same DVR). Same upstairs in the gameroom/spare room. I've been able to add an external hard drive to expand the storage on the HD DVR...can't do that with Directv.

I'll look into it, but it's a tough sell for us. As much as I'd like more HD programming, if Dish can catch up within the year I'll probably stay on board.

I'm no expert....so your mileage may vary
XboxLiveID: archie68
post #460 of 2580 Old 02-12-2008, 09:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:

But I heard the "HD Only" is not really so, you still get all the SD counterparts of the HD channels, if so then your SD box should see those SD channels.

No. HD only, in this case, means HD only. That's all you get.
post #461 of 2580 Old 02-12-2008, 09:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iteki View Post

We have 4 rooms. Dish DVRs can run two TVs each. So to restore DVR functionality to all 4 rooms I would need 4 DVRs (two HD, two SD) from Directv. Not to mention some wiring done to the other two rooms.

Not to mention getting the wife on board...hardest part of the operation :-)

Right now she can setup a recording in the living room then watch it in the bedroom if she gets tired (since they run off the same DVR). Same upstairs in the gameroom/spare room. I've been able to add an external hard drive to expand the storage on the HD DVR...can't do that with Directv.

I'll look into it, but it's a tough sell for us. As much as I'd like more HD programming, if Dish can catch up within the year I'll probably stay on board.

Why can't you do the same thing? Just run HDMI to the closer TV and run component to the further one - or vice versa. Two TVs are now running HD off the same box. With the RF remote, she can control the living room box from the bedroom. Heck, there are enough outputs to run the signal to 2 HD sets and two SD ones. All outputs are active on the box.
post #462 of 2580 Old 02-12-2008, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

No. HD only, in this case, means HD only. That's all you get.

Do you have the HD only pack? Have you read what people said they have both the HD's and their SD counterparts with this "HD-only" pack?
post #463 of 2580 Old 02-12-2008, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Why can't you do the same thing? Just run HDMI to the closer TV and run component to the further one - or vice versa. Two TVs are now running HD off the same box. With the RF remote, she can control the living room box from the bedroom. Heck, there are enough outputs to run the signal to 2 HD sets and two SD ones. All outputs are active on the box.

Iteki has a valid point. The TV2 capability in 722 and 622 is a forward looking technology they developed two years ago probably have a patent on it. It makes watching TV in two rooms a lot easier and can use the existing wiring without running new cables.

However after we upgraded most TV's to HD at home, the TV2 SD-only part became a drag. I wish there is this TV2 HD capable HDDVR out there but since there is none, D*'s HDDVR lease arrangement became the only preferred option since they only charge one $4.99 DVR fee per account, not like E* per DVR. I did run an HDMI cable from my office HDDVR to my other room, and plan to run another HDMI cable from the family room HDDVR to feed my 20" HD set in the kitchen, by then my 4 HDDVR's will support 6 HD sets.

But I can tell you pulling those HDMI cables was a total pain in the a$$. Not something most people want to do.

On the other hand, the wife factor was surprisingly a non-issue. I was most concerned about that but there was no learning curve with the rest of the family at all.
post #464 of 2580 Old 02-12-2008, 10:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Do you have the HD only pack? Have you read what people said they have both the HD's and their SD counterparts with this "HD-only" pack?

I have the HD only pack and I do receive SD versions of channels that have an SD counterpart.
post #465 of 2580 Old 02-12-2008, 10:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I can only assume those people are reporting something different since all the information I have heard indicates no SD, no RSNs, etc. are provided. Heck, even the thread title says no SD.

If I'm wrong, then I'll be glad to admit it. Do you have a link to information about this from someone other than a member here, such as the E* literature on it?
post #466 of 2580 Old 02-12-2008, 10:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb7oeb View Post

I have the HD only pack and I do receive SD versions of channels that have an SD counterpart.

My opinion? I'd check your bill very carefully as to what they charge you for.
post #467 of 2580 Old 02-12-2008, 10:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Iteki has a valid point. The TV2 capability in 722 and 622 is a forward looking technology they developed two years ago probably have a patent on it. It makes watching TV in two rooms a lot easier and can use the existing wiring without running new cables.

However after we upgraded most TV's to HD at home, the TV2 SD-only part became a drag. I wish there is this TV2 HD capable HDDVR out there but since there is none, D*'s HDDVR lease arrangement became the only preferred option since they only charge one $4.99 DVR fee per account, not like E* per DVR. I did run an HDMI cable from my office HDDVR to my other room, and plan to run another HDMI cable from the family room HDDVR to feed my 20" HD set in the kitchen, by then my 4 HDDVR's will support 6 HD sets.

But I can tell you pulling those HDMI cables was a total pain in the a$$. Not something most people want to do.

On the other hand, the wife factor was surprisingly a non-issue. I was most concerned about that but there was no learning curve with the rest of the family at all.

Sure, it's not as elegant a design and running cables is never fun. However, you only have to do it once. After that, it's done and you have control of two units on 4 TVs. I was just making the point that his wife can do the same thing she does now - just with a D* DVR.

I'm not trying to dump on an E* thread here, I just would hate to see someone choose a service based on the need for a feature another service can essentially emulate.

Now, if he simply likes the E* DVR better than the D* DVR, then there's nothing that can change that except D* adding a comparable experience in their equipment.
post #468 of 2580 Old 02-13-2008, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb7oeb View Post

I also have the HD Only pack, and I also get SD versions of ESPN, ESPN2, Discovery, NatGeo, Science, Animal Planet, TLC, VS, TBS, ...

No RSNs.

I checked my bill. It's HD Only plus locals: $34.99, plus three extra receivers (I have four) brings it up to ~$50.
post #469 of 2580 Old 02-13-2008, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good idea, but it misses the point of having two TVs run off one DVR. In your setup, both TVs would display the same thing. With Dish's DVR, I can be watching one recorded show in the living room while the wife watches another recorded show, all while recording two other shows. It's really pretty handy, and hard to give up. Same setup upstairs.

post #470 of 2580 Old 02-13-2008, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good points. But right now I have two HD sets and two SD sets (1HD in living room, 1 SD in bedroom, 1HD in gameroom, 1SD in guestroom). When we move to all HD sets then I can see moving away from our current DVRs. Hopefully Dish can get both TV1 and TV2 outputting HD independently by then :-)

Thanks for all the suggestions!

post #471 of 2580 Old 02-13-2008, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

My opinion? I'd check your bill very carefully as to what they charge you for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdonnelly View Post

I also have the HD Only pack, and I also get SD versions of ESPN, ESPN2, Discovery, NatGeo, Science, Animal Planet, TLC, VS, TBS, ...

No RSNs.

I checked my bill. It's HD Only plus locals: $34.99, plus three extra receivers (I have four) brings it up to ~$50.

Quote:

I had my $29.99 "HD Stand Alone" installation yesterday. It's not really HD only. In addition to the 39 advertised HD channels I'm getting all the SD counterparts, like Food and HGTV SD, as well as some other SD channels: AMC, Oxygen, Hallmark, IFC and Fuse for example. I'm also getting all those religious, jewelry and shopping channels. I called Dish to verify that I'm on the right plan and they assured me I was on the $29.99 HD only plan (plus $5.98 for the 722 DVR).

My teenager likes "Fuse" and has an SD set hooked up in his room using the second tuner, so these extra channels are a nice little bonus. The installer knew nothing about the HD Stand Alone package, BTW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdonnelly View Post

The SD counterparts of the HD channels are part of the package. The other SD channels ("AMC, Oxygen, Hallmark, IFC and Fuse for example") I believe are the group that Dish is showcasing with a free preview this month. Next month, there'll be another batch. All the channels that pay Dish for airtime will be available to you with any Dish package.

I just downgraded (upgraded?) to this package yesterday from AT250 + HD, and it has everything that I watch in it.

Lots of SD in the HD only package.
post #472 of 2580 Old 02-13-2008, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Lots of SD in the HD only package.

It only makes sense because it has been traditionally what SD you get is what the HD counterpart you also get.

To get around that and provide HD only, E* must re-negotiate all the programming contracts with the channel providers, not something done in such a short time, even if possible.

Now picking those SD channels that have the HD counterparts, group them in one package and sell at $29.99 would be an easy thing to do, assume all agreements allow such flexibility.
post #473 of 2580 Old 02-13-2008, 11:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Based on the above, I stand corrected.
post #474 of 2580 Old 02-13-2008, 11:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Me too. But by "lots of SD", do you mean just the exact same channels that you get in HD, or are there actually more? And if there are, can you give us an idea what they are?

If there are more, it may have at least some influence on one's decision.
post #475 of 2580 Old 02-14-2008, 12:27 AM
Advanced Member

This isn't the NO SD package its a package that has almost all of the HD channels and matching SD channels. They don't put a block on SD and regarding RSNs I don't think you can add them to the family pack either.

This package is listed on my bill as dishHD
post #476 of 2580 Old 02-14-2008, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Me too. But by "lots of SD", do you mean just the exact same channels that you get in HD, or are there actually more? And if there are, can you give us an idea what they are?

If there are more, it may have at least some influence on one's decision.

You also get Golf and VS as standalone SD channels, even though the programming is not the same as the VS/Golf HD channel.

The SD channels in the Preview that Dish has are also there. Right now that's Hallmark, AMC, Fuse, Oh! and IFC. Next month there'll be some others, and these will go away.

All the shopping channels, and all the PPV channels are there, and so is the PPV guide channel. Channel 100 and 101 are there.
post #477 of 2580 Old 02-14-2008, 06:07 AM

Hey, moderators! The title of the thread is now confirmed to be misleading. The SD versions of the HD channels are part of the HD Only package. Also, when you order locals with the package, you get both the SD and HD locals. You could change that to "No RSNs", and that would be accurate.
post #478 of 2580 Old 02-14-2008, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

You know what would be perfect is if they add a few must see children's SD channels in there, of course a lot of people will move to this "HD Only" pack and E* will lose a lot of revenue from folks canceling AT packs.
post #479 of 2580 Old 02-14-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:

You know what would be perfect is if they add a few must see children's SD channels in there, of course a lot of people will move to this "HD Only" pack and E* will lose a lot of revenue from folks canceling AT packs.

Childrens channels and news channels would be nice...I know there would be rebellion in my house if Nickolodean suddenly disappeared...
post #480 of 2580 Old 02-14-2008, 11:20 AM

I agree. The lack of children's channels is the only thing from stopping me from switching (well that and Sci-Fi is STILL not in HD). For the extra cost of the AT packs, I might switch anyway, and use that saved money to rent DVDs for my daughter.

I've already started downloading torrents of my favorite Sci-Fi shows, so I can watch them in HD. I may have to look at doing that for Disney Channel shows as well.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page