post #811 of 2581 Old 06-21-2008, 02:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesmith1263 View Post

I am thinking about getting the 30 hd package with hd locals. Can I add movie channels like starz, showtime, hbo. If I can is it just one hd channel per. Also are they still having the cinemax for 1 penny/year when you call in?

Yes, no, maybe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 2581 Old 06-22-2008, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have the Dish HD Only Pak and also subscribe to HBO, Starz, and get the
$.01 Cinemax for autopay and paperless billing. So, YES it can be done. It is a great deal and I don't have to pay for all those SD channels that I never watched.

Jerry

Samsung PN63B550 HDTV
Dish HOPPER with Sling
Onkyo TX-NR636 with Polk speakers
Samsung pn1600 Blu Ray Player
post #813 of 2581 Old 06-22-2008, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the two responses. How many Starz and HBO Channel do you get with the Dish HD Only Pak? I know this is not the right forum to ask, but does anyone know if I have comcast limited (no boxes) and I attach the cable to the dish receiver, would I be able to pick up the channels offered from comcast or is it just for an OTA antenna? Thanks for the info.
post #814 of 2581 Old 06-23-2008, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesmith1263 View Post

... but does anyone know if I have comcast limited (no boxes) and I attach the cable to the dish receiver, would I be able to pick up the channels offered from comcast or is it just for an OTA antenna? Thanks for the info.

The OTA antenna input on the current Dish HD receivers will not decode analog or QAM digital cable signals. It's only good for OTA digital. You'd be better off using a separate TV input for the Comcast box.
post #815 of 2581 Old 06-25-2008, 05:15 AM

I ordered the HD only package with VIP 722 DVR yesterday. The CSR was great - a human actually picked up on first ring and knew all about the package.
post #816 of 2581 Old 06-29-2008, 09:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 192
I want to verify that I can record two satellite shows at the same with the VIP722 while using only one satellite input cable. Their tech support said the other satellite input is only used for the second TV but I just want to be sure before it's installed.

Thanks.

Update: Doing a little more looking around it appears I would need to use a DISH Pro Plus Separator to combine two lines into one and it states not to use it between diplexers which is what I need. So it appears if I need two inputs to record two shows I'm out of luck...

Update 2: Another call to support and another different answer. According to her I can use the separator once I'm on the other side of the diplexer.

My understanding....

Dish 1000.2 with Dish Pro Plus (which combines the two inputs) one line
ATO one line
Both combined via the diplexer (electronic closet)
Line runs throw the wall
Diplexer separates OTA and Dish lines
OTA line to TiVo HD
Dish line goes into the DISH Pro Plus Separator
Two lines from the separator go into the ViP722 inputs

Thats all folks... here's hoping.

| 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #817 of 2581 Old 06-30-2008, 05:44 AM

The VIP722 DVR has two satellite tuners and one OTA tuner - you can record two satellite channels and one OTA channel at the same time. I spent the weekend playing/testing my new system. I have two cables running through my wall to the VIP722. One cable carrying satellite (which goes to the seperator and splits into two to connect to the VIP722) and one cable carrying OTA signal. If you configure your VIP722 in dual mode with a remote TV (TV2) in a second room, the TV2 will be recording and cannot be changed without stopping the recording.
post #818 of 2581 Old 06-30-2008, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Dish Unveils Summer, Fall Local HD Launch Schedule

DBS Will Roll Out Local HD Channels To Another 22 Markets

By Linda Moss -- Multichannel News, 6/30/2008 11:59:00 AM

Dish Network Monday added local HD service in Grand Rapids, Mich., and Memphis, and revealed its local HD rollout plans for 22 markets for the summer and fall.

Right now, the nation's No. 2 satellite provider offers HD locals in 61 markets reaching more than 68% of U.S. TV households.

Dish Network will also be adding local HD channels in Abilene, Texas, Madison, Wis., Albany, N.Y., Myrtle Beach, S.C., Beaumont, Texas, Chattanooga, Tenn., Columbia-Jefferson, Mo., Des Moines, Fargo, N.D., Greenville, N.C., Joplin, Mo., Lansing, Mich., Lincoln, Neb., Omaha, Quincy, Ill., Sherman-Ada in Texas/Oklahoma, South Bend, Ind., Syracuse, N.Y., Topeka, Kan., Waco, Texas, Wichita Falls, Texas, and Wilkes-Barre, Pa.

Earlier this year, we started delivering on our commitment by adding new HD local markets and offering more national HD channels; the launch of Grand Rapids, Memphis and our additional 22 HD markets demonstrates that we are aggressively moving forward with plans to reach 100 HD local markets and 100 national HD channels, Eric Sahl, Dish Network's senior vice president of programming, said in a prepared statement.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6574377.html

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #819 of 2581 Old 06-30-2008, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Whatever happened to the Green channel in HD? It's up and running in SD, but still not in HD.
post #820 of 2581 Old 07-03-2008, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryez View Post

I have the Dish HD Only Pak and also subscribe to HBO, Starz, and get the
$.01 Cinemax for autopay and paperless billing. So, YES it can be done. It is a great deal and I don't have to pay for all those SD channels that I never watched.

I actually did the same thing, got DishHD $30 plus 3 premiums for $31 with the free Cinemax. This is way better than the 250 channel package which had channels I didn't even watch. I actually see all the rest of the channels with the digital Cable from Time Warner; yeah I have that too part of my all digital package with Road Runner Internet and Digital Phone. I pay for the DishHD and someone else pays for the TW Digital Cable, best of both worlds - actually good for when it rains, I loose the Dish!

dja2k
post #821 of 2581 Old 07-11-2008, 07:11 AM

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – July 10, 2008 – DISH Network (NASDAQ: DISH) today announced plans to launch 17 national HD channels, surpassing its goal of reaching 100 national HD channels five months ahead of schedule.
The new HD channels that will be added are:

· ActionMax HD (DISH Network Ch. 313)
· CBS College Sports HD (Ch. 152)
· Lifetime HD (Ch. 108)
· Lifetime Movie Network HD (Ch. 109)
· Planet Green HD (Ch. 194)
· Encore HD (Ch. 340)
· HBO 2 HD (Ch. 301)
· HBO Comedy HD (Ch. 307)
· HBO Family HD (Ch. 305)
· HBO Latino HD (Ch. 309)
· HBO Signature HD (Ch. 302
· HBO West HD (Ch. 303)
· HBO Zone HD (Ch. 308)
· Starz Comedy HD (Ch. 354)
· Starz Edge HD (Ch. 352)
· Starz Kids & Family HD (Ch. 356)
· Starz West HD (Ch. 351)

“In January, we promised our customers that DISH Network would boost our national HD channel lineup to 100 by year’s end. Today, we are proud to say that in less than one year, not only did we deliver on our commitment, but we exceeded it,” said Eric Sahl, senior vice president of Programming for DISH Network. “We continue our pledge to DISH Network subscribers to add more national channels and local HD markets, as well as offer the best sports and movies in HD.”

In addition, DISH Network is thrilled to introduce TurboHD, the first-ever 100 percent, all-HD programming package in the pay-TV industry, with advanced equipment that works on all TVs. TurboHD offers the most-watched HD channels in four separate tiers and can be viewed on analog, digital and high definition TVs, making it the perfect solution for consumers who have or are considering upgrading to HD programming. All TurboHD packages can include HD locals where available.

“TurboHD is revolutionary to the industry; we’re changing the way people watch TV by offering them all of the top channels – in HD only – with the best high-definition systems on the market,” said Jessica Insalaco, Chief Marketing Officer for DISH Network. “When consumers add HD programming, their viewing habits change – they don’t like to go back to standard definition – so their viewing switches over to all-HD channels. TurboHD will provide the next-generation high-definition television experience by offering only the best in HD programming and award-winning HD technology at incredible prices.”

TurboHD Bronze: $24.99/month or $29.99/month with local channels*

TurboHD Bronze DishDVR Advantage: $34.99/month; includes core HD package, local channels and a free DVR receiver

TurboHD Silver: $32.99/month or $37.99/month with local channels*

TurboHD Silver DishDVR Advantage: $39.99/month; includes core HD package, local channels and a free DVR receiver; Regional Sports Networks where available

TurboHD Gold: $39.99/month or $44.99/month with locals channels*

TurboHD Gold DishDVR Advantage: $49.99/month; includes core HD package, local channels and a free DVR receiver; Regional Sports Networks where available

TurboHD Platinum: $10/month – add TurboHD Platinum to any qualifying package and receive HD channels that do not have corresponding SD channels.

New DISH Network Digital Home Advantage (DHA) subscribers or DHA-24 customers (24-month commitments) who sign-up for America’s Top 100 or higher, DishLATINO or higher, TurboHD Bronze or higher, or a qualifying International programming package will receive $50 off of their first statement and Cinemax for one year for just a penny. New or current DISH Network subscribers who commit to DHA-24 will also receive HBO and Starz free for the first three months of their subscription.

More information will be available at DISH Network -- Home in the coming weeks. The new national HD channels and TurboHD packages are available beginning August 1, 2008.
post #822 of 2581 Old 07-11-2008, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Announced channels added to first post.
post #823 of 2581 Old 07-11-2008, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Guess the new channels listed in post #821 will use the slots/bandwidth vacated by the recently canceled Voom HD channels?

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #824 of 2581 Old 07-11-2008, 03:25 PM

So which "TurboHD" package (if any) is equivalent to the original HD-only package? Does this mean the original package goes away completely or do current subscribers get to keep it but with no ability to get RSNs?
post #825 of 2581 Old 07-11-2008, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

Announced channels added to first post.

Many of those Vroom channels that are listed on the first page are no longer available.
post #826 of 2581 Old 07-11-2008, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Those Turbo HD packages are cryptic at best. I have no idea what this does to my cost of HD programming.

Rick R
post #827 of 2581 Old 07-11-2008, 04:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holtwm View Post

So which "TurboHD" package (if any) is equivalent to the original HD-only package? Does this mean the original package goes away completely or do current subscribers get to keep it but with no ability to get RSNs?

After several calls the best I could get out of retention was...

The Turbo packages will only be offered to new customers and will not be available to existing customers.

The above is what she read directly from a memo. She said call back next week and she might have further details. She did more or less agree to drop my commitment if the new channels or cost varies beyond an reasonable amount.

| 
|
|
|
post #828 of 2581 Old 07-11-2008, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwien View Post

Many of those Vroom channels that are listed on the first page are no longer available.

There are no Voom channels listed in the first post.

Are some still available?
post #829 of 2581 Old 07-12-2008, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beazster View Post

TurboHD Bronze: $24.99/month or $29.99/month with local channels*

TurboHD Bronze DishDVR Advantage: $34.99/month; includes core HD package, local channels and a free DVR receiver

TurboHD Silver: $32.99/month or $37.99/month with local channels*

TurboHD Silver DishDVR Advantage: $39.99/month; includes core HD package, local channels and a free DVR receiver; Regional Sports Networks where available

TurboHD Gold: $39.99/month or $44.99/month with locals channels*

TurboHD Gold DishDVR Advantage: $49.99/month; includes core HD package, local channels and a free DVR receiver; Regional Sports Networks where available

TurboHD Platinum: $10/month – add TurboHD Platinum to any qualifying package and receive HD channels that do not have corresponding SD channels.

New DISH Network Digital Home Advantage (DHA) subscribers or DHA-24 customers (24-month commitments) who sign-up for America’s Top 100 or higher, DishLATINO or higher, TurboHD Bronze or higher, or a qualifying International programming package will receive $50 off of their first statement and Cinemax for one year for just a penny. New or current DISH Network subscribers who commit to DHA-24 will also receive HBO and Starz free for the first three months of their subscription.

What channels are included in each TurboHD package? Will Bronze have the same line-up as the current $29.99 deal?
post #830 of 2581 Old 07-15-2008, 04:32 PM

I'm thinking of signing up for the Dish HD package but I can't figure out if I should do so now or wait for the new turbo packages? Any thoughts? Does the currenty HD package offer FSN Arizona sports?
post #831 of 2581 Old 07-15-2008, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buylow View Post

I'm thinking of signing up for the Dish HD package but I can't figure out if I should do so now or wait for the new turbo packages? Any thoughts? Does the currenty HD package offer FSN Arizona sports?

The current HD package does not include any regional sports networks. Some of the new packages will include your RSN.

I don't think that the exact channel line up of each packaage has been released.

Roy
post #832 of 2581 Old 07-16-2008, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beazster View Post

In January, we promised our customers that DISH Network would boost our national HD channel lineup to 100 by year's end. Today, we are proud to say that in less than one year, not only did we deliver on our commitment, but we exceeded it, said Eric Sahl, senior vice president of Programming for DISH Network.

Yeah, but at the cost of quality. All they did was cram more stuff down the same pipe which meant everything got crappier. Dish "HD" is now somewhere between SD and HD in quality. It's pretty grainy and a far cry from what is possible. They claim to be launching new satellites in August (dish rep told me this so no real official confirmation) but I'll believe it when I see it.

I can't speak for the premium channels though, are they possibly any better or the same crappy HD as the rest of the channels? Note: it got much crappier with the latest update when they dropped some Voom stuff.
post #833 of 2581 Old 07-16-2008, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsrussp View Post

Yeah, but at the cost of quality. All they did was cram more stuff down the same pipe which meant everything got crappier. Dish "HD" is now somewhere between SD and HD in quality. It's pretty grainy and a far cry from what is possible. They claim to be launching new satellites in August (dish rep told me this so no real official confirmation) but I'll believe it when I see it.

I can't speak for the premium channels though, are they possibly any better or the same crappy HD as the rest of the channels? Note: it got much crappier with the latest update when they dropped some Voom stuff.

HOTP thread has several stories about yesterday's launch of a new Dish satellite and everything seems nominal.

I'm no expert....so your mileage may vary
XboxLiveID: archie68
post #834 of 2581 Old 07-16-2008, 01:04 PM

Liked: 11
Confirmed. New sat launch successful.

NEW YORK (Reuters) - DISH Network Corp's (DISH.O: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) plans to roll out more high definition video channels received a boost in the early hours of Wednesday after the successful launch of its EchoStar XI broadcast satellite.

DISH, the second-largest U.S. satellite TV operator, needs to roll out more HD channels to be able to compete with larger rival DIRECTV Group (DTV.O: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) as well as cable and phone companies' video services.

The Denver, Colorado-based company's HD plans were set back in March when a satellite launch by SES Americom failed to reach its intended orbit following its launch on board a Russian Proton Breeze-M launch vehicle. The SES Americom satellite was entirely contracted by DISH sister company EchoStar Corp (SATS.O: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz).

DISH said earlier this month it would add another 17 national HD channels bringing its total to 100 ahead of its original year-end target. DIRECTV has said it will have 150 HD channels by the year-end.

DISH also said it would introduce TurboHD, an all-HD programming package.

The satellite operators are aggressively pushing HD as a way of differentiating themselves from cable operators, who are also launching more HD channels at a rapid pace but are on average still behind the satellite operators.

"Offering a wide variety of HD channels is important among pay-TV providers and is really important in today's market," said Thomas Eagan, analyst at Collins Stewart.

"DISH would have been at a disadvantage to its competitors if this satellite did not launch successfully," he added. (Reporting by Yinka Adegoke, editing by Dave Zimmerman)
post #835 of 2581 Old 07-16-2008, 01:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Is it more likely that dish will use the new satellite to add more local channels or to upgrade the quality of their HD signal?

I understand if this is one of those questions that can't be answered till Dish actually does it.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #836 of 2581 Old 07-16-2008, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Is it more likely that dish will use the new satellite to add more local channels or to upgrade the quality of their HD signal?

I understand if this is one of those questions that can't be answered till Dish actually does it.

Don't know if they will use it to provide HD locals to additional markets but I think it is HIGHLY unlikely that they use it to improve PQ. Why would they? That hasn't been there MO for quite some time now and I don't expect them to change any time soon. E* getting more bandwidth to use on adding more channels is like a junkie coming across some cash for more crack.
post #837 of 2581 Old 07-16-2008, 01:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
wish,

Bottom line, if someone wants the best HD picture, they need to look at the other satellite company? ........... or at least wait until Dish starts using their new satellite to see exactly what they're doing with it.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #838 of 2581 Old 07-16-2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:

Yeah, my question exactly. I can only hope but since the cable operators have also been guilty lately of crapifying their signals in order to squeeze in more HD I'm not sure how likely it will be they will give us bandwidth back rather than continue to squeeze more junk in. It may be that my only hope in the next few years will be FIOS or equivalent if it is ever offered in my neighborhood. Of course, the same crapifying could happen there also.
post #839 of 2581 Old 07-16-2008, 02:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:

Since it's going to 110, odds are good that it will replace the old MPEG-2 bird at 110. It will also allow more channels per transponder, so ultimately it will accomplish both, with emphasis on more channels. The old bird might wind up doing a number of different things. Part of Dish's plan is ultimately to switch to all MPEG-4. Using MPEG-4 on SD channels will free up far more bandwidth than it does on HD channels, just by virtue of the numbers of channels.
post #840 of 2581 Old 07-16-2008, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Whether you're D* or E*, what do you think will attract more subscribers: better picture quality or more channels? If you guessed the latter, you'd win a prize.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page