Dish Network HDTV - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 2580 Old 01-09-2008, 07:41 PM
Senior Member
 
scott72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 273
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This will be a very damaging blow to cable companies like my own that are severely lagging behind in what they offer for HD.
scott72 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 2580 Old 01-10-2008, 12:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
doogiehowser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,014
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post

It does say "More channels to come in 2008."

It looks like the line up is:

TNTHD, ESPNHD, ESPN2HD, A&EHD, NFLHD, ???HD First row

HGTVHD, FOODTV, MHD,???HD,???HD, History ChannelHD Second row

Discovery Channel HD, TLCHD, ... more later. Third row

I can't see any news channel in the graphic. Is there a CNN HD or FOX NEWS HD included in this package?

I can't see if there is a Sci-Fi channel HD??

If this really is $29 a month for ESPN HD, ESPN2 HD, TNT HD, Universal HD, HGTV HD, Discovery HD, FOOD HD, NFL HD, then it is a great deal and I will be subscribing. If there are hidden fees then it is not worth it and I'll stick with OTA HD.
doogiehowser is offline  
post #63 of 2580 Old 01-10-2008, 03:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
guffy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Traverse City, MI
Posts: 1,784
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is the bulk of Dish HD programming still coming from that troublesome 129 satt?

This looks like a great plan to me. But if the 129 satt is still carrying all the HD its a definite no go for me...
guffy1 is offline  
post #64 of 2580 Old 01-10-2008, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter
Moderator
 
CPanther95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 23,795
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I think this sounds great in theory, but it will have limited impact as a primary service. I don't think you'll see D* follow suit - not because it wouldn't sell, but because it would. I don't think you'd see this from E* either if they had a broader mix of HD channels.
CPanther95 is offline  
post #65 of 2580 Old 01-10-2008, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Aliens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,815
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post

The channel lineup is in the lower right corner of this crappy picture:


I saw this on another forum yesterday. It would be nice if someone could post a link to this, because I can't find it on the E* site, and this image is almost impossible to read.
Aliens is offline  
post #66 of 2580 Old 01-10-2008, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter
Moderator
 
CPanther95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 23,795
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 73
The logos look identifiable. I'll give it a shot:

Top Row: TNT - ESPN - ESPN2 - A&E - NFL - NHL

Second Row: HGTV - Food - MHD - NBA - TBS - History

Third Row: Discovery - TLC - Animal Planet - Golf - VS - Science

Fourth Row: NGC - RAVE - World Sport - World Cinema - Animania - Universal

Fifth Row: HD Theater - Gallery - Rush - Monsters - Treasure - Ultra

Sixth Row - HD News - HDNet - HDNet Movies - Film Fest - Kung Fu - Equator

Bottom Row: Family Room - GamePlay - Big Ten - "Pay Per View"
CPanther95 is offline  
post #67 of 2580 Old 01-10-2008, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
audiomagnate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Western Colorado
Posts: 2,193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogiehowser View Post

I can't see any news channel in the graphic. Is there a CNN HD or FOX NEWS HD included in this package?

I can't see if there is a Sci-Fi channel HD??

If this really is $29 a month for ESPN HD, ESPN2 HD, TNT HD, Universal HD, HGTV HD, Discovery HD, FOOD HD, NFL HD, then it is a great deal and I will be subscribing. If there are hidden fees then it is not worth it and I'll stick with OTA HD.

There is a news channel HDNews from Voom (all the Voom channels are part of the package) but that hardly counts as a news channel. I'm going to miss MSNBC and CSPAN/CSPAN2 I asked about CNN HD and he said they might add it in the future.

As to the fuzzy picture, I'm betting that was a surreptitious cell phone photo by an employee. I'm working on a list and would appreciate some help (see my previous post) getting a real list of channels, row by row. The really weird thing is that Dish no longer lists their HD channels, you have to ask the rep to list them. The only thing they have on their websit as far as HD Channels now is this page full of microscopic logos: http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/o...ng/index.shtml

That's what I'm using to make a list.

And nothing is on the site yet because this won't be offerred until Feb 1st.
audiomagnate is offline  
post #68 of 2580 Old 01-10-2008, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
jeepmatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Wilmington, DE
Posts: 794
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey audio - I saw you mentioned an HD receiver. Were you told if there will be a cost to lease/buy it? Figuring it will be a 211 or something. I still have my DISH on the roof - this could sway me to re-connect - just for the HD's.
jeepmatt is offline  
post #69 of 2580 Old 01-10-2008, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Aliens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,815
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

The logos look identifiable. I'll give it a shot:

Top Row: TNT - ESPN - ESPN2 - A&E - NFL - NHL

Second Row: HGTV - Food - MHD - NBA - TBS - History

Third Row: Discovery - TLC - Animal Planet - Golf - VS - Science

Fourth Row: NGC - RAVE - World Sport - World Cinema - Animania - Universal

Fifth Row: HD Theater - Gallery - Rush - Monsters - Treasure - Ultra

Sixth Row - HD News - HDNet - HDNet Movies - Film Fest - Kung Fu - Equator

Bottom Row: Family Room - GamePlay - Big Ten - "Pay Per View"

Ever think about working for NASA studying planets?
Aliens is offline  
post #70 of 2580 Old 01-10-2008, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter
Moderator
 
CPanther95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 23,795
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Nope - I took one look at Uranus and astronomy lost all its appeal.

BTW - I cheated. I compared to D*.com and Voom.com's much more visible logos - E*'s website logos are also pretty hard to read.
CPanther95 is offline  
post #71 of 2580 Old 01-10-2008, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
audiomagnate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Western Colorado
Posts: 2,193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

Nope - I took one look at Uranus and astronomy lost all its appeal.

Ba-dump-dump... But seriously folks, it looks pretty good for a bare bones package except for the lack of anything for the kids - Family Room is pretty lame - and no real news (sorry bad hair guy from HD NEWS). I can get my news from the networks and catch up on advancements in geriatric pharmaceuticals during the breaks, and Saturday will once again become "cartoon day" like it was for me forty years ago. It's nice that HDNet Movies made it to the list.
audiomagnate is offline  
post #72 of 2580 Old 01-10-2008, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
audiomagnate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Western Colorado
Posts: 2,193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmatt View Post

Hey audio - I saw you mentioned an HD receiver. Were you told if there will be a cost to lease/buy it? Figuring it will be a 211 or something. I still have my DISH on the roof - this could sway me to re-connect - just for the HD's.

No, the one room receiver lease is included. I didn't ask about buying it. Sorry for the double post.
audiomagnate is offline  
post #73 of 2580 Old 01-10-2008, 08:08 AM
Senior Member
 
drummerguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
This looks great, but at the very least they need to add USA HD and SCIFI HD before I can get rid of SD. CNN and Disney would be missed, but not too much. What would be cool is if they could add the premium HD channels (HBO, Cinemax, etc.). I'd pay $39 per month if that happened. I'm sure it can't, though.

Is it fair to assume you can still add your locals (whether SD or HD) for the extra 5 bucks?
drummerguy is offline  
post #74 of 2580 Old 01-10-2008, 08:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 45,876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Topics merged.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Ken H is offline  
post #75 of 2580 Old 01-10-2008, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
audiomagnate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Western Colorado
Posts: 2,193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike4HDTV View Post

It appears that E* will soon have an all HD package (no SD channels) for $30/month.

Also, they will soon be offering a package with all 4 premium HD channels (HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, and Starz) only (no SD premiums) for $10/month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerguy View Post

This looks great, but at the very least they need to add USA HD and SCIFI HD before I can get rid of SD. CNN and Disney would be missed, but not too much. What would be cool is if they could add the premium HD channels (HBO, Cinemax, etc.). I'd pay $39 per month if that happened. I'm sure it can't, though.

Is it fair to assume you can still add your locals (whether SD or HD) for the extra 5 bucks?

There you go.
audiomagnate is offline  
post #76 of 2580 Old 01-10-2008, 01:40 PM
 
Vampz26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post

Ba-dump-dump... But seriously folks, it looks pretty good for a bare bones package except for the lack of anything for the kids - Family Room is pretty lame - and no real news (sorry bad hair guy from HD NEWS). I can get my news from the networks and catch up on advancements in geriatric pharmaceuticals during the breaks, and Saturday will once again become "cartoon day" like it was for me forty years ago. It's nice that HDNet Movies made it to the list.

I pretty much said the same thing a few posts back...
Vampz26 is offline  
post #77 of 2580 Old 01-10-2008, 02:08 PM
 
Vampz26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
WAIT A MINUTE!

This could be the best thing ever!!

For some of us cautiously eyeing D*'s HD offering wondering if its worth switching to yet or not, this could be it !!

The question is not about whether E*s 40 HD channels is worth 30 bucks a month, but weather or not Voom is worth the 30 bucks a month while evaluating D*. If I scale my current 'everything pack' down to just this HD pack, and take advantage of D*'s 'please come back, we miss you' offers for the Premium package...I may be able to have both for the same price for a while, give up nothing...and conscienciously evaluate both HD products.

The rooftop will make my house look like a NASA outpost for a while with all the sat-dishes, but still...Hmmm...
Vampz26 is offline  
post #78 of 2580 Old 01-10-2008, 02:13 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 28,222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampz26 View Post

WAIT A MINUTE!

This could be the best thing ever!!

For some of us cautiously eyeing D*'s HD offering wondering if its worth switching to yet or not, this could be it !!

The question is not about whether E*s 40 HD channels is worth 30 bucks a month, but weather or not Voom is worth the 30 bucks a month while evaluating D*. If I scale my current 'everything pack' down to just this HD pack, and take advantage of D*'s 'please come back, we miss you' offers for the Premium package...I may be able to have both for the same price for a while, give up nothing...and conscienciously evaluate both HD products.

The rooftop will make my house look like a NASA outpost for a while with all the sat-dishes, but still...Hmmm...

Ah, that's nothin', I have 3 dishes for Dish, 2 for DirecTV, and 1 for Star Choice.
Keenan is offline  
post #79 of 2580 Old 01-10-2008, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
keeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
"Also, they will soon be offering a package with all 4 premium HD channels (HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, and Starz) only (no SD premiums) for $10/month."

Anyone else heard this??? It seems too good to be true.
keeper is offline  
post #80 of 2580 Old 01-10-2008, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
Moderator
 
CPanther95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 23,795
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Much too good to be true. They'd be paying much more than $10 in order to offer that. If they do, that would be the head turner.
CPanther95 is offline  
post #81 of 2580 Old 01-10-2008, 02:47 PM
 
Vampz26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeper View Post

"Also, they will soon be offering a package with all 4 premium HD channels (HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, and Starz) only (no SD premiums) for $10/month."

Anyone else heard this??? It seems to good to be true.

Seems very, very BAD to me...

I remember Charlie stating quite clearly that he intends to remain competitive with D* on the basis of price points...so this may just be what he is doing...

Basically, I wouldn't expect any new premium HD channels to launch on E* any time soon with this pricing option in place. Chances are if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is...
Vampz26 is offline  
post #82 of 2580 Old 01-10-2008, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
keeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampz26 View Post

Seems very, very BAD to me...

I remember Charlie stating quite clearly that he intends to remain competitive with D* on the basis of price points...so this may just be what he is doing...

Basically, I wouldn't expect any new premium HD channels to launch on E* any time soon with this pricing option in place. Chances are if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is...

I have heard this several times already but nothing that points to a source. Where did this info come from. Anyway if it turns out to be true this is surely huge.
keeper is offline  
post #83 of 2580 Old 01-10-2008, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
guffy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Traverse City, MI
Posts: 1,784
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampz26 View Post

Seems very, very BAD to me...

I remember Charlie stating quite clearly that he intends to remain competitive with D* on the basis of price points...so this may just be what he is doing...

Basically, I wouldn't expect any new premium HD channels to launch on E* any time soon with this pricing option in place. Chances are if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is...

I cant think of another relevant HD channel they could add that they dont already have.

Come to think of it, theres only about 10 relevant HD nats on that list to begin with... Everything I would ever need is there, and then a whole lot more.

Great news!!! Replace that piece of crap 129 satt and Ill sign up
guffy1 is offline  
post #84 of 2580 Old 01-10-2008, 03:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
NetworkTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: CT
Posts: 15,548
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by guffy1 View Post

I cant think of another relevant HD channel they could add that they dont already have.

Come to think of it, theres only about 10 relevant HD nats on that list to begin with... Everything I would ever need is there, and then a whole lot more.

Great news!!! Replace that piece of crap 129 satt and Ill sign up

USA? FX? Both have quite a bit of good HD content.
NetworkTV is online now  
post #85 of 2580 Old 01-10-2008, 03:18 PM
 
Vampz26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeper View Post

I have heard this several times already but nothing that points to a source. Where did this info come from. Anyway if it turns out to be true this is surely huge.

You've heard it several times because its pretty much repeated or inferred in every stockholder conferance call, I mean...being competitive overall on pricepoints is essentially E*s business plan, afterall. And pretty much always has been...

But anyways, the exact statement I'm recalling was either a Charlie Chat or something like that where when directly challenged about how he is going to compete in the HD market with D*'s dance of 100 channels (back when it was still 100), he commented by downplaying the whole initiative and basically stating that he plans on remaining competitive based on price points just as he's always been. Carl Vogel may be found making a statement like that as well in a conference call here and there...

But either way, if thats possibly the case...I may not get as excited as I should about that ten dollar offer....
Vampz26 is offline  
post #86 of 2580 Old 01-10-2008, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
guffy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Traverse City, MI
Posts: 1,784
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

USA? FX? Both have quite a bit of good HD content.

Yawn.....

Im sure theres plenty that would agree with you though.

Theres also plenty of us that have our HDTV's basically just for sports. Lots of us, like everyone I know..

This plan would serve someone like me and most of the people I know very well, if it werent for that dredded 129 satt..
guffy1 is offline  
post #87 of 2580 Old 01-10-2008, 03:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
NetworkTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: CT
Posts: 15,548
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by guffy1 View Post

Yawn.....

To each his own, but Monk, Psych, Rescue Me, The Riches, Nip/Tuck, Dirt, The Shield, among several others, are quite popular. I watch at least half of those shows myself. I only wish USA hadn't dropped The 4400 or The Dead Zone.

I guess that's why we have all those channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guffy1 View Post

Theres also plenty of us that have our HDTV's basically just for sports. Lots of us, like everyone I know..

This plan would serve someone like me and most of the people I know very well, if it werent for that dredded 129 satt..

Then I would think you would want FX for the occasional games that end up there from Fox.
NetworkTV is online now  
post #88 of 2580 Old 01-10-2008, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
guffy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Traverse City, MI
Posts: 1,784
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

To each his own, but Monk, Psych, Rescue Me, The Riches, Nip/Tuck, Dirt, The Shield, among several others, are quite popular. I watch at least half of those shows myself. I only wish USA hadn't dropped The 4400 or The Dead Zone.

I guess that's why we have all those channels.


Then I would think you would want FX for the occasional games that end up there from Fox.

I can remember watching a baseball game on FX maybe 2 or 3 years ago..A playoff overflow game if I remember right. I cant recall FX ever showing any real sports other than that in the last few years. Maybe big time wrestling...Maybe a rodeo...LOL
guffy1 is offline  
post #89 of 2580 Old 01-10-2008, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
doogiehowser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,014
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampz26 View Post

Seems very, very BAD to me...

I remember Charlie stating quite clearly that he intends to remain competitive with D* on the basis of price points...so this may just be what he is doing...

Basically, I wouldn't expect any new premium HD channels to launch on E* any time soon with this pricing option in place. Chances are if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is...


This is what I have been waiting for. I don't want to pay $60 a month for 100 channels of garbage. 40 HD channels is enough. We're getting some very popular channels included.

Here is what I hated about cable and direct tv-- You want to get HD? You first have to buy an overpriced package, then pay more on top to get HD added. Just give me the HD, it is all I want. Don't nickle and dime me to death!

The only news which would be better than this is if they offered ala carte ordering. There is pleanty of good stuff on OTA HD so I don't need cable or dish. But if the price is low enough then I'll subscribe to a package like this $29 HD package. I wonder if we'll see it offered for $19 in the future?
doogiehowser is offline  
post #90 of 2580 Old 01-10-2008, 03:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
NetworkTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: CT
Posts: 15,548
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by guffy1 View Post

I can remember watching a baseball game on FX maybe 2 or 3 years ago..A playoff overflow game if I remember right. I cant recall FX ever showing any real sports other than that in the last few years. Maybe big time wrestling...Maybe a rodeo...LOL

Of course, they weren't HD before...
NetworkTV is online now  
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off