Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #991 of 2580 Old 09-03-2008, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm having my Dish account upgraded to HD next Tuesday with the 722 box. I am in Akron, Ohio, just south of Cleveland...anybody know if all new installs will be the all mpeg4, or is there a way to find out?

Thanks,
Jonathon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 2580 Old 09-03-2008, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickTop View Post

I'm having my Dish account upgraded to HD next Tuesday with the 722 box. I am in Akron, Ohio, just south of Cleveland...anybody know if all new installs will be the all mpeg4, or is there a way to find out?

Thanks,
Jonathon

These are the only markets with Mpeg4 SD channel access currently. If your DMA is the same Cleveland then Yes. Otherwise No.

The first wave of the all-MPEG-4 offer will occur in 21 markets,
including: Cleveland; Richmond, Va.; Baltimore.; Columbia, S.C.; Tampa,
Fla; Green Bay, Wis.; Greensboro, N.C.; Providence, R.I.; Greenville,
S.C., Knoxville, Tenn.; Raleigh, N.C.; Chicago; Detroit; Charlotte,
N.C.; Dallas; Nashville, Tenn.; Minneapolis, Minn.; Philadelphia.;
Washington, D.C.; New York, N.Y.; and Hartford, Conn.
post #993 of 2580 Old 09-03-2008, 06:01 PM

>Digital cable channels require a QAM tuner and OTA digital channels require an ATSC tuner. I am assuming since your a new customer you will be getting the VIP722 box which only has an ATSC tuner.

Agree that chances are that your cable operator is not sending your local channels in ASTC format probally QAM format but it costs you nothing to try it out and see what you get since you already have cable.
post #994 of 2580 Old 09-03-2008, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beazster View Post

No. Digital cable channels require a QAM tuner and OTA digital channels require an ATSC tuner. I am assuming since your a new customer you will be getting the VIP722 box which only has an ATSC tuner.

Thanks... I had just heard that on another local site, too. bummer.

Philips 42" LCD HDTV (model 42PF9831D/37)
Dish Network ViP722 & TWC Cisco 8640HDC
post #995 of 2580 Old 09-03-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvingpowercat View Post

>Digital cable channels require a QAM tuner and OTA digital channels require an ATSC tuner. I am assuming since your a new customer you will be getting the VIP722 box which only has an ATSC tuner.

Agree that chances are that your cable operator is not sending your local channels in ASTC format probally QAM format but it costs you nothing to try it out and see what you get since you already have cable.

I do have the 722. I think this weekend I will give it a try anyway and see what happens.

post #996 of 2580 Old 09-04-2008, 02:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 191
I wouldn't take the chance of damaging the 722.

If you want to see if you get any channels off of cable, connect the cable coax directly to a digital tuner equipped TV. Then do a channel scan and see what you get. The tuner in most displays are designed to accept the cable company signal whereas the 722 wasn't.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #997 of 2580 Old 09-04-2008, 04:50 AM

So Dish Networks says 150 HD channels by the end of this year, does anyone know what they are planning to add, will they just be locals and RSN or will we see any national HD channels?
post #998 of 2580 Old 09-04-2008, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I dont know if this has anything to do with HD or not but last night watching Spike on Dish Network all of a sudden I got a message popup to hit select for something. It ended up being an interactive advertisment of some sort. I didnt really pay attention to it but it was for ford auto dealers, I have never seen something like that and was wondering if it happened to anyone else. I couldnt even get out of the screen by using the yes option to quit I had to hit the live TV button on my remote. The ad did have something to do with sync by Micorsoft.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
post #999 of 2580 Old 09-04-2008, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAiello View Post

So Dish Networks says 150 HD channels by the end of this year, does anyone know what they are planning to add, will they just be locals and RSN or will we see any national HD channels?

Up to 150 HD channels by the end of the year. They don't have to do anything.

Here's a list of HD channels that Dish doesn't currently carry. (15 of those they used to carry.)

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-net...h-network.html
post #1000 of 2580 Old 09-04-2008, 07:47 AM

I used to be a Dishnetwork customer a couple years back and so, went I re-joined last month I still had a Dish500 and a DISH pointing at the 61.5 bird on my roof. The installer left the dishes unchanged and only replaced the LNBs. Is there a newer dish for new installs (I am in NY)? Will I run into problems with my old dishes when new birds go up?
post #1001 of 2580 Old 09-04-2008, 08:11 AM

Yeah the new Dish is 1000.4 released on Aug 18. Depending when you signed up would determine if you get the new dish or not. The difference between the new dish vs old dishes is that new dish allows for 1 dish solution vs 2 dish as 61.5 is no longer needed on east coast except for international programing or some public interest channels as everything else is on new sats which can be picked up with 1 dish.

Also the new stats are all Mpeg4 even the SD channels which allows E* to use the capacity more efficiently.

I personally would have requested the new dish + had the installer use your old 61.5 dish as a wing dish. Then you are connected to all 4 east coast sats and are getting everything including free international programing(not a lot of free stuff but still) and all the public interest stuff.

E* will continue to add to all new channels to both 61.5 and new sats for a while as many old customers are still using older configurations of 110/119 + 61.5 vs new configuration of which is 72/77/79 which currently are just all Mpeg4 mirrors of the older sats.

Only reason I would have requested newer configuration and dish is because if E* is anything like D* and say in 2 years you need the new dish to get the extra channels then E* will try to charge you for the "upgrade" and get you to re-up your contract too. So personally I would want the latest just to try to future proof my install for longest period possible so I can avoid being in contract or having to pay for "upgrades" if at all possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagyg View Post

I used to be a Dishnetwork customer a couple years back and so, went I re-joined last month I still had a Dish500 and a DISH pointing at the 61.5 bird on my roof. The installer left the dishes unchanged and only replaced the LNBs. Is there a newer dish for new installs (I am in NY)? Will I run into problems with my old dishes when new birds go up?

post #1002 of 2580 Old 09-04-2008, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAiello View Post

I'm a Dish fanboy and I'd have to say that I won't be holding my breathe for that 150 HD channels mark. First I don't really think that there will be that many channels to carry. 2nd, even if there are that many out there, there will be many that are just filler. Third, I'm sure a large amount of them will be premium channels, so they have their appeal limited. Fourth, just like HD channel counts from before, expect to see PPV, NBA, NHL:CI, and RSNs included to confuse the actual channel count.

Going to sign up for Dish Network?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
me for a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
referral number that will give you a $50 credit on your first bill.
post #1003 of 2580 Old 09-04-2008, 09:00 AM

Well not to burst your bubble but everyone counts premium channels, RSN and PPV in there HD count.

And at least E* is not as slimy as D* who has 29 HD PPV.

Now to your point it would be super easy for E* to reach 150 goal.

13 HD RSN that E* currently does not.
14 Showtime HD channels which include TMC, IFC and Flix which are all available in HD.
3 HBO
2 Starz
5 Cinemax
6 Fox HD Channels( Fox News, Fox Business News, Fuel, Fuse, Spike and FX)
AMC
Country Music HD
Crime and Investigation Network
Mojo
MSNBC
MTV
Nickelodeon
OutDoor Channel
QVC
VH1
Plus they could re-add 15 Voom Channels

So there is currently 68 channels they could add plus another 17 which are expected to be live before the end of the year.

Expect them to add most of the showtimes soon as currently they have most of the HBO, Starz and Cinemax.

While you might find no value in Premium HD channels that was one of the reason I switched from D* to E* as I pay for 2 premium channels and I like having more than just the main channel E* and W* in HD like D* offers for the same price. Also I never watch MTV or VH1 but I am not going to say they are waste or have no value as I am sure lots of people like those channels. And the same holds true for Premium Movie channels.

Also while you find no value in extra RSN I am sure people who currently do not get there RSN in HD would find value if E* added those RSN in HD.

So basically if you figure they are going to add at least 15 premium movie channels in HD in not more from the missing 24 that gets there count up to 125 + HD Channels. So there goal of 150 by year end is not only double but easily doable without adding any HD PPV channels at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneGT View Post

I'm a Dish fanboy and I'd have to say that I won't be holding my breathe for that 150 HD channels mark. First I don't really think that there will be that many channels to carry. 2nd, even if there are that many out there, there will be many that are just filler. Third, I'm sure a large amount of them will be premium channels, so they have their appeal limited. Fourth, just like HD channel counts from before, expect to see PPV, NBA, NHL:CI, and RSNs included to confuse the actual channel count.

post #1004 of 2580 Old 09-04-2008, 09:27 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolmar View Post

6 Fox HD Channels( Fox News, Fox Business News, Fuel, Fuse, Spike and FX)

Who carries Fox News Channel in HD? Does it even exist yet? D* doesn't even carry it do they?
post #1005 of 2580 Old 09-04-2008, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Fox News HD is on Cablevision (I think) but it does exist.

Oh, and Spike is a Viacom channel, not Fox.

Quote:

And at least E* is not as slimy as D* who has 29 HD PPV.

hehe, Given the opportunity I'm sure E* would be.

Quote:

Also while you find no value in extra RSN I am sure people who currently do not get there RSN in HD would find value if E* added those RSN in HD.

The problem is that Dish only carries the RSN HD channels in a time-share basis. You don't actually get the whole channel 24/7 upconverted SD and all. You only get select games in HD and not necessarily all of them either.

Going to sign up for Dish Network?
me for a
referral number that will give you a $50 credit on your first bill.
post #1006 of 2580 Old 09-04-2008, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
IFC and Fuse are Rainbow Media channels.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #1007 of 2580 Old 09-04-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

I wouldn't take the chance of damaging the 722.

If you want to see if you get any channels off of cable, connect the cable coax directly to a digital tuner equipped TV. Then do a channel scan and see what you get. The tuner in most displays are designed to accept the cable company signal whereas the 722 wasn't.

The TV accepts the cable signal, but of course it has both QAM and ATSC tuners. But, a direct connection to the TV is not what I want, since I want the signal to go thru the DVR. It's not a big deal, I can just wait for the antenna I order to arrive (its on backorder with buy.com).

post #1008 of 2580 Old 09-04-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob052067 View Post

I ordered an indoor HD antenna, but have not yet received it.

Have you done your research on indoor antennas and reception in your area? I am curious as to what model you went with. I hate to see people ordering overpriced stuff they don't need. Remember, (1) There is no such thing as an "HD" antenna and (2) If it doesnt look like an antenna it is probably not gonna work like one.
post #1009 of 2580 Old 09-04-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:

Well not to burst your bubble but everyone counts premium channels, RSN and PPV in there HD count.

Now to your point it would be super easy for E* to reach 150 goal.

14 Showtime HD channels which include TMC, IFC and Flix which are all available in HD.
3 HBO
2 Starz
5 Cinemax

Are you indicating that there are still more HD channels from HBO, Starz, and Cinemax that are not yet being carried by Dish? They already are carrying multiple channel packages of each of these services (5-7 channels of each).

IMO, the biggest priority Dish should be working on is getting HD Locals to all the major and medium cities they still don't service.

I also really want BBCA-HD and ESPNU-HD!

post #1010 of 2580 Old 09-04-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:

Have you done your research on indoor antennas and reception in your area? I am curious as to what model you went with. I hate to see people ordering overpriced stuff they don't need. Remember, (1) There is no such thing as an "HD" antenna and (2) If it doesnt look like an antenna it is probably not gonna work like one.

I did a fair amount of online research on various models. I live about 7 miles from downtown columbus, so I don't expect any reception problems.

I chose to go with this antenna, since it is supposed to get good reception from all directions:
http://www.buy.com/prod/ge-24775-13-...205664913.html

post #1011 of 2580 Old 09-04-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:

Yeah the new Dish is 1000.4 released on Aug 18. Depending when you signed up would determine if you get the new dish or not.

Thanks for clearing this up for me ... I signed up on August 11
post #1012 of 2580 Old 09-04-2008, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If it doesnt look like an antenna it is probably not gonna work like one.

So what exactly does an antenna look like?

I need to know to make sure the one I've got is indeed an antenna.
post #1013 of 2580 Old 09-04-2008, 02:17 PM

post #1014 of 2580 Old 09-04-2008, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

well mine looks like this which seems to qualify as an official antenna per your examples (even though it's bigger, but I guess we're not getting penalized for size)-

http://pimages.solidsignal.com/4228.gif

But I would consider this to be one also even though I dont own one-

http://pimages.solidsignal.com/ZHDTV1.gif

Ok.... I'll leave this alone now and allow the thread to get back on track. Sorry for the sarcasm guys.
post #1015 of 2580 Old 09-04-2008, 03:01 PM

Ha.. yes back on track.. Word on the street is there may be an announcement as soon as tomorrow about some more HD for E*. Not sure how specific they will be but we shall see.

By the way, ramsrule you have one of the highest rated antennas on the market, as you probably know. I don't know about rob though... but you never know. It may work just fine.
post #1016 of 2580 Old 09-04-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:

Are you indicating that there are still more HD channels from HBO, Starz, and Cinemax that are not yet being carried by Dish? They already are carrying multiple channel packages of each of these services (5-7 channels of each).

IMO, the biggest priority Dish should be working on is getting HD Locals to all the major and medium cities they still don't service.

I also really want BBCA-HD and ESPNU-HD!

Missing Premiums:
HBO 2 West HD
HBO Zone West HD
HBO Latino HD West
@Max HD
MoreMax HD
MoreMax West HD
OuterMax HD
ThrillerMax HD
W-Max HD
Starz in Black HD
Starz Cinema West HD
Showtime Beyond HD
Showtime Next HD
Showtime Extreme HD
Showtime FamilyZone HD
Showtime Showcase HD
Showtime 2 HD
Showtime 2 West HD
Showtime Women HD
The Movie Channel HD
The Movie Channel West HD
The Movie Channel Xtra HD
The Movie Channel Xtra West HD
Flix HD
Plus all the Encores are missing in HD except Encore East.
post #1017 of 2580 Old 09-04-2008, 09:39 PM

Quote:

Missing Premiums:

wow...didn't realize there were still so many missing! Of course, they pretty much air all the same stuff, just at different times. I almost never watch premiums live. I DVR everything and watch when convenient.

post #1018 of 2580 Old 09-04-2008, 10:37 PM

Quote:

wow...didn't realize there were still so many missing! Of course, they pretty much air all the same stuff, just at different times. I almost never watch premiums live. I DVR everything and watch when convenient.

I also forget Showtime West... I agree with you that most of the premium channels just run the same stuff as the main channels with the except of ThrillerMax HD, MoreMax, OuterMax HD, Starz in Black HD, Showtime Beyond HD, Showtime Next HD, Showtime Extreme HD, Showtime FamilyZone HD, Showtime Showcase HD, Showtime Women HD, The Movie Channel Xtra, Flix HD and Encores which are all theme based channels.

All West coast channels are same as East coast just delayed but ThillerMax shows only thriller movies, Showtime Women are all chick flicks, and Showtime Extreme are all action movies, and Starz in Black are all black movies etc. Those channels do have different movies than the main channel. Sure most of the movies are older movies which were on the main channels weeks ago but still.

I think the old think E* can do to distinguish them from D* is add and carry more premium channels as D* has exclusives with many sporting events already. E* has many more movie channels over D* in both SD and HD except Showtime as D* added most of the HD Showtimes last month.
post #1019 of 2580 Old 09-04-2008, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is this the place to ask if I am considering switching from Cox to a Turbo HD package?

Orange County/Los Angeles
I have 3 HD tvs: should each get an HD DVR or can they all view each others content.

How much HD record time will I get?

What is the DVR software like, will I hate it?
Cox Passport on the moto is decent.

It looks like it will cost me 50 less than cable, with the turbo hd pack, and showtime for a penny is good.

I will miss National geo, cause i dont plan on getting the top tier.
post #1020 of 2580 Old 09-04-2008, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMRivlin View Post

I have 3 HD tvs: should each get an HD DVR or can they all view each others content.

Hope you are aware of the fact E* only discounts the first HD DVR to $50. The 2nd one will be $199 and third one will be $399 except you will own 3rd while the first 2 will be leased.

Quote:

How much HD record time will I get?

If you get VIP722 56 hours. VIP622 30 hours of HD.

Quote:

What is the DVR software like, will I hate it?
Cox Passport on the moto is decent.

Most people like the E* DVR better than everyone else except for Tivo. I personally have used TWC Moto based DVR and D* DVR and E* is much better and faster and more responsive.

Quote:

It looks like it will cost me 50 less than cable, with the turbo hd pack, and showtime for a penny is good.

E* has Cinemax for 1 penny with auto pay to a credit card and paperless billing. There is no special for Showtime at all.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page